Start by marking “The Answer (Steven Universe)” as Want to Read:
The Answer (Steven Universe)

The Answer (Steven Universe)

Why would a Gem turn against her Homeworld to protect the messy, pointless planet Earth?

What would make an aristocratic Gem risk everything for a common guard?

And how could a humble soldier alter the track of fate forever?

It's up to Sapphire and Ruby to find The Answer.
Published September 6th 2016 by Cartoon Network Books

To ask other readers questions about The Answer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Answer

Start your review of The Answer (Steven Universe)
Carmen

SPOILERS FOR STEVEN UNIVERSE

I'M NOT JOKING

....
....

She was never meant to see Sapphire look at her like this - fascinated, bewildered, impressed - as if Ruby were the most important Gem in the universe!

What on Earth?!

LESBIAN FICTION FOR CHILDREN.

LESBIAN FICTION FOR CHILDREN.

This is the future and this is a triumph not only for the LGBTIA community but for humankind.

Not to hype this up or anything. :D *sips coffee*

So, because your child(ren) is inundated with approximat
Swankivy
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm one of those embarrassingly huge fans of this show so it was kind of a given that I was going to love this book. But let me tell y'all why it's good and why it's important.

This is Ruby and Sapphire's story of love and freedom. I think we all know that a children's storybook that's about a "she" falling in love with a "she" is bound to get some raised eyebrows in a world that thinks relationships like theirs can never be innocent, but I would prefer not to focus on that much at all. I just wa
Ashley
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm biased because this is one of my favorite shows ever and Ruby and Sapphire are the absolute CUTEST but this is one of the best children's books out there. That's all I have to say. I'm glad I bought it. I'm going to keep it and read it to my own child someday :)
Dov Zeller
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My neighbor recently got this book as a present (she just turned six, she's trans, she loves cute romantic stuff, she loves Steven Universe and the Crystal Gems). She brought it to my place several days in a row for me to read to her. It's one of her favorites at the moment (that and Mummy Cat, which I took out of the library.) If I had read it on my own, maybe I wouldn't give it quite so many stars, but then again, why not? It's a wonderful queer love story for kids -- about questioning dominan ...more
Sari Taurez
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to preface this by saying, though you will get more out of this if you've watched the show, you can definitely appreciate this without having watched it.

This book presents beautiful artwork portraying the love story between these two otherworldly characters. There's action, suspense, self-discovery, and love, all in a relatively short children's book.

My wife and I love watching Steven Universe with our daughter, and love reading this book to her even more. It's difficult to find childr
Ana González
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is one of the best stories of the entire Cartoon! That's saying a lot! Because Steven Universe is a great show, full of wonderful stories!

So yes, I almost cried with this scene and the two characters are so cute and awesome. Making this a storybook was an excellent Idea.

The illustrations are exquisite and yes, I'm so happy I have it with me and I will read it to all the kids that I can.
RJ
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, children
The art is beautiful and the format is very clever and cute, but I do think it might be a confusing layout if you haven't seen the episode of the show it's recreating.
Ngaire
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My girlfriend and i love steven univerae so much that we accidently bought each other this book for Christmas, so now we have two copies and I'm not even mad about it. This is an amazing, heartfelt, beautiful story about love that anyone from any age group will enjoy. I already plan on getting a copy for my 9 year old brother who we introduced to the Steven Universe show last year (his favourite character is Pearl btw), and I want every single one of my lgbtq friends to read this book. Represent ...more
Alex Sarll
Just as I'd always suspected, it turns out that Steven Universe is amazing as soon as you excise that irritating prick of a title character. A picture book about love across the barricades while prehistoric Earth is being invaded by sentient gems, this is gorgeous, formally clever without being alienating, and as queer as the day is long.
Scott Robins
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, lgbtq
Cute allegorical story for a same-sex relationship between two female "gems" from the Steven's Universe universe. I'm not hugely familiar with the property but the story was enjoyable and resembled a fable or a modern fairy tale. It has a clever meta element to it as well that I'm sure kids will find amusing.
Julia
Simply gorgeous - the illustrations are perfect, the story is illuminating, and my heart is in pieces. Every parent should read this to their child, and everyone else should just read it! Trust me, you'll have no regrets...

Andrea
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Vicky Reads MG
This cute little picture book ties in to the Steven Universe episode "The Answer" which reveals the backstory behind Garnets fusion of Sapphire and Ruby. The illustrations have a whimsical bright colour to them and a texture that looks like pastels. Very visually appealing.

One of the only drawbacks to this is the story is really really really simplistic. I hate to give any criticism to Steven Universe because it's truly such an inclusive, diverse and heartwarming series but the story here was SO
Izza
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, lgbtq
5 stars | The illustrations are absolutely breathtaking. If you're a fan of Steven Universe or you feel like reading a queer fairytale/love story, this is something I'd recommend.
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So. Cute. I’ll never get over the fact that this exists as a picture book and kids are reading it. God bless Rebecca Sugar.
Rida Rais
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so beautiful I cried 😭♥️ the art was gorgeous and I loved seeing more of my favorite gem gfs!
sallanvaara
Five stars for Garnet feels. This book was adorable and I love the fact that it exists at all. Even though, having seen the episode a million times, this didn't offer me anything new per se, the art was beautiful and I loved the little meta story happening in the margins. Love love love.
Sharon
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sharon by: Peridot
Shelves: comics, kindle
Cute picture book for kids. The top and bottom channels add a lot of visual flair to the book. Somehow it doesn't capture the magic of the episode for me though.
Dan
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute i want to die thx
Rowie
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confession: most of the tv-shows I watch are cartoons. I get as much of a kick from funny animated characters as I do when Sherlock makes a brilliant deduction. Last year I discovered Steven Universe and it's honestly the best thing I've watched in 2016. To me it transcends being a kid's show. It's not just the first show created by a woman on Cartoon Network, it's also a wonderfully diverse story that breaks down stereotypes. In the end Steven Universe teaches anyone that watches that you don't ...more
Julie Decker
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This charming fairy tale is the story of Ruby and Sapphire and how they fell in love. Sapphire and Ruby were part of an alien race that came to conquer the planet 6,000 years ago, but when a rebel Gem thought Earth shouldn't be conquered, Homeworld sent the future-seeing Sapphire to find out how this story would end. But because of the impulsive gesture of one of her Ruby guards, the rebels were not defeated as Sapphire had foreseen--and both of them ended up stranded on Earth after defying thei ...more
Arkham Reviews
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful picture book based around the Steven Universe episode "The Answer". As this story appears at the end of season 2 of the series, it does contain a number of spoilers and so I'd recommend avoiding reading this until you've at least seen that far in the series.

While this book probably wouldn't have a lot of appeal for someone who hasn't seen the show, for a fan it really is gorgeous. The illustrations are stunning and I love the little running adventures that Ruby and Sapphire have havi
Emily
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-children
This book is a sweet story about love and defying societal expectations, told through pretty words and prettier pictures. Steven Universe fans will already know the story, but this book still gives some extra insight into the characters' thought processes.
I also adore that the story is told in standard 3rd person format, then also features commentary from Ruby/Sapphire/Garnet on each page...
description
Rebecca
I don't know the Steven Universe show at all, but I *think* this might be a same-sex love story in a picture book?! It can be read as a colorful adventure story, which it is, but there are all sorts of metaphors for having no words to describe yourself and having to break the rules just to avoid persecution. And a happy ending. "You already are the answer." <3 <3 <3 Also, I'm sure there is a language-arts lesson in the sidebar story breaking into the ongoing story. ...more
Colleen (Soggywarmpockets)
I loved this book so much. I really liked how they adapted the episode to story book format, and I loved the commentary from Ruby and Sapphire in the margins. This book has such a beautiful, important message and I think it is going to help a lot of people out there realize that life isn't a fixed narrative and there is no wrong way to go about living it. Also the art style is beyond adorable.
Rachel
This was a rather deeper childrens book about love than I was expcecting and im still processing it all. I know it was amazing though. I love Steven Universe and I really hope that there are going to be more in this series.

In one word: Beautiful.

(Ok 2 words): Love.

Love Love Love Love. That is the word that sums up this book.
Ian
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Gorgeous art, but I'm not sure why they bothered to make it. Who's the audience? Anyone who watches the show has already seen this episode and therefore doesn't need it clunkily synopsized, and anyone who doesn't watch the show will be off-put by all of the mythology.
Alexandra Calaway
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Definitely not crying about the beginning of a beautiful lesbian relationship depicted in a children's tv show. NOOOOOOPE.
Shaina Cade
This story is brilliantly told. I've never read any book quite like this, with two narratives occurring simultaneously on the page (past narrative in the middle, and Ruby and Sapphire's reactions framing it and even affecting it). Most likely, you'll want to be a Steven Universe fan to love or understand this book, but also, if you happen to pick it up and like it at all QUICKLY drop everything and go start binging one of the most unique, gorgeous, diverse, complex, wonderful shows ever.

"You...
Valleri
While I believe this picture book was intended for children who watch the Steven Universe series, it was written for younger audiences even though my library placed it in Young Adult. Go figure. The writing was meant to be sardonic but came off rather dry and lacking the ability to hold my interest. It may be because I've never seen an episode of Steven Universe, but I definitely know that I didn't like this book as much as I should have. And, no, the content wasn't the reason. I actually found ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Steven Universe: Art & Origins
  • Steven Universe: Too Cool for School
  • Steven Universe: Warp Tour (Vol. 1)
  • Steven Universe and the Crystal Gems
  • Steven Universe: Anti-Gravity
  • Steven Universe: Harmony
  • Steven Universe, Vol. 2
  • Steven Universe Orignal Graphic Novel: Ultimate Dough-Down
  • Steven Universe #1
  • Steven Universe: Field Researching (Vol. 3)
  • Steven Universe: Punching Up (Vol. 2)
  • Steven Universe: Find a Way (Vol. 5): Find a Way
  • Love Is Love: A Comic Book Anthology to Benefit the Survivors of the Orlando Pulse Shooting
  • Shattered Peace (Warriors Manga: Ravenpaw's Path, #1)
  • Steven Universe 2016 Special
  • Bingo Love Volume 1: Jackpot Edition
  • Taproot
  • BEASTARS 5 (Beastars, #5)
Rebecca Rea Sugar is an American animator, composer and director. She is best known for creating the Cartoon Network series Steven Universe, which has made her the first woman to independently create a series for the network

News & Interviews