Start by marking “Nothing Short of Dying (Clyde Barr, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nothing Short of Dying (Clyde Barr, #1)

Nothing Short of Dying

(Clyde Barr #1)

Hailed by the bestselling writer William Kent Krueger as “the year’s best thriller debut,” this rollercoaster read features a Jack Reacher-like drifter protagonist with lethal skills whose mission to rescue his abducted sister pits him against a meth kingpin seeking to control all the trade in the Western United States.

Sixteen years. That’s how long Clyde Barr has been awa
Published August 25th 2016 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published August 1st 2016)

Julie
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nothing Short of Dying by Erik Storey is a 2016 Scribner publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is an amazing debut novel by Erik Storey!

Clyde Barr gets a frantic phone call from his sister, Jen, obviously in distress and in deep trouble. She needs his help and Clyde will do ‘nothing short of dying’ to save her.

Clyde is one of the most interesting protagonists to come along in crime fiction in a while. As the story begins, Clyde
Brenda
The unexpected telephone call from the sister Clyde Barr hadn’t seen or spoken to in years had him making a promise and packing up his camp to head to a civilisation he hadn’t wanted to return to. Jen’s panicked call which had abruptly ended had sent chills down Barr’s spine – he knew she was in trouble; he also knew he had to find her before it was too late.

Barr had been out of his family’s lives for sixteen years – travelling across various countries while working as a soldier, a hunter and mo
Larry H
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'd rate this 3.5, maybe 3.75 stars.

I don't know what it is about drifters, but thriller writers seem to love them as protagonists—Lee Child's Jack Reacher; Peter Ash, the title character in Nicholas Petrie's superb The Drifter (of all things); and now, Clyde Barr, from Erik Storey's debut novel, Nothing Short of Dying —just to name a few. I guess the idea of someone with a shady, perhaps troubled past, yet nothing really to tie them down, provides an appealing canvas from which to create a sto
Carolyn
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
Although Clyde Barr left his home and family in Colorado sixteen years ago, he can't help coming to his sister Jen's aid when she calls to say she has been kidnapped and is being held by a major drug ring. Clyde has been a soldier of fortune, fought in wars and more recently been incarcerated in Mexico. He knows how to fight and play dirty but underneath he has a basic honorable code of ethics and can recognise evil when he comes across it. This is a high octane adventure of the Jack Reacher typ ...more
Judy Collins
With this exceptional entry, Erik Storey, a natural born storyteller, solidifies his place at the upper end of the literary crime thriller "rural noir" fiction genre, NOTHING SHORT OF DYING —Tenacious Clyde Barr dirt-under-your fingernails, kind of raw, a character you want on your side; rugged, a tough-as-nails hero, we can count on.

The gritty novel begins with a phone call in the Utah wilderness about a week after Clyde Barr had been released from prison. He had hoped for a storybook homecom
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
Clyde Barr just wants to disappear into the wilderness. After the last few years, who can blame him - mercenary and hired gun on three different continents, prisoner on one - call him what you want, he's tired and needs to regain some sense of himself. He also doesn't really need the added complications of electronic communication like a mobile phone but, in this day and age, it seems to be a must-have.

Only problem is, the next call he receives is going to shatter his much sought-after solitude
Benoit Lelièvre
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I usually don't like this type of novel very much, but I have to admit this one was very well executed. NOTHING SHORT OF DYING is an action thriller in the vein of Jack Reacher novels. It might not have the intricate mystery aspect of Lee Child's books, but it makes up with meaningful, pertinent action scenes that reveal bits about its character: hillbilly turned mercenary turned professional badass Clyde Barr.

I had a love/hate relationship with Barr's exposition scenes, which I thought were ver
Larry
Jan 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was absolutely the worst book that I have ever finished. Seemed like a wanna be author penned this one. It was a Jack Reacher/Darrell Dixon (Walking Dead) type guy on a mission of mercy to save his sister from a drug kingpin. Amateurish writing in all regards. Should have put it down early but just didn't. Don't waste your time on this one if it's on your "to read" list.
Michael
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Clyde Barr is fresh out of prison and hoping to stay clean for a while. For the last sixteen years, he has tried to bury the demons of an abusive childhood at the hands of his mother's numerous boyfriends. Clyde and his sister Jen were constantly abused till one night they cracked with devastating consequences. For years he has traveled the world as a mercenary and hunter. His hopes of trying to put his past where it belongs go out the window when he gets a phone call from Jen.

She is being held
Mark Stevens
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
At one point in time, the world was simply a “wide-open adventure” to Clyde Barr. A stint in the Merchant Marines. Camping across Africa at a time when he was “naïve but lucky.” Then “dreary jobs” like watching cows and building fences and digging wells. Then, hunting poachers in animal reserves and guiding safaris. And “helping the underdogs” in coups and revolutions, “picking the side I approved of.”

Not all went well, including a stint in a Mexican prison. Clyde Barr has “has seen evil on thre
Teresa
Clyde Barr is a drifter, a mercenary with a heart, a mountain man and a hunter. After sixteen years lending his muscle and expertise in conflicts across Africa and beyond, taking care of the little guy, fighting for the downtrodden and choosing sides in various third world conflicts, Clyde is tired and feeling his age. Having recently been released from a spell in a Mexican prison where he barely made it out alive, he is back in his native Colorado, in the mountains he loves, looking forward to ...more
CL
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clyde Barr prefers to keep to himself away from everything and everyone when he receives a distress call from his sister for help. Clyde knows he will help her because when they were kids they formed a bond based on their father’s abuse. His other sister will not help him so he starts to try and find her on his own. Along the way he inadvertently becomes involved with a young woman named Allie whom loses her job after her boss suspects her of helping him. As he tries to find his sister he and Al ...more
Karen
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
NOTHING SHORT OF DYING is the debut release from author Erik Storey, which arrived with considerable fanfare. It's flagged as something that will have Lee Child's Reacher watching over his shoulder which clearly flags this is action packed, with a lone hero up against it from all sides central character.

Clyde Barr is a mountain man, hunter and a mercenary. After many years fighting conflicts in Africa amongst other places, and a torrid stint in a Mexican jail he's heading back to his native Colo
Paul
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Nothing Short of Dying – Better Than Rambo

Nothing Short of Dying is the debut thriller from American Erik Storey, who already has a fan in the writer Jeffrey Deaver. Even in the press they say Jack Reacher needs to be worried by the new character Clyde Barr, to me he is more Rambo, but with brains, and more dangerous than Reacher. Jack Reacher may be the king of the thriller in the city, but Clyde Barr would eat him alive out in the wilderness.

Jeffrey Deaver and CJ Box both recommend Erik Story
Debbie
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not really sure which luck follows this Clyde character the most, good or bad. This was a very entertaining and thrilling read. There was humor, lots of fights, some romance (totally implied), car chases, mountain scenery, horses, and more humor. There was one really bad and perverse dude who gave me cooties just reading about him. I may need to be tested for an STD, his character was written so well. I'm shuddering writing about him. Thankfully he wasn't throughout the whole book.

I really
Miriam Smith
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, kept-book
This is an excellent debut novel that I enjoyed from start to finish. It is an action packed page turner that I could not put down and eagerly await the next chapter in Clyde Barr's life - as I am sure there is more to come. He can be likened to Lee Child's Jack Reacher and Noah Boyd's The Bricklayer that I read recently. He's tough, intelligent, scared of no one or anything, he has strong family morals in keeping his family safe and protected and with his awful childhood history it makes you fe ...more
Pat Camalliere
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you’re a fan of fast action and a lot of it, this is the book for you. Sort of like Dean Koontz in the Colorado back-country, chasing the bad guys, falling into one life-threatening situation after another, trying to save a loved one. It was a bit frenetic for my taste, and I had some trouble believing that a character with such a kind heart could callously leave so many bad-guy bodies behind. But the story held together pretty well, had a satisfying ending, and was quite well written all in ...more
Garlan ✌
Lots of action and some pretty good writing, but the storyline wasn't very believable or even that interesting. Felt like a first novel (not sure if it was). Hopefully, the main character will become more rounded in the next book(s). Maybe closer to a 2 1/2.
Ash
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I received a review copy of this book from NetGalley.

I don’t think I have ever been so excited to try out a book from an author I have never read before, than I was when I first saw Nothing Short of Dying. As I have said many times before, I am a huge Jack Reacher fan and I am always looking for a new series to fill the gaps. Having read the book now, I had every right to be as excited as I was because it was such a great read.

Nothing Short of Dying is Erik Storey’s first mystery thriller novel
Judy Lesley
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I received an e-ARC of this novel through NetGalley and Scribner.

I think there is the possibility of a good thriller series buried under the mound of dead bodies in this debut novel introducing Clyde Barr. I didn't connect enough with the lead character to make me anxiously await the second book in the series, though. Clyde doesn't really have much for me to connect with in this first book. Okay, he finds himself coming to the aid of underdogs, people having a hard time, people being mistreated.
Nicole
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book via Goodreads Giveaways.

I've read plenty of books of this genre; although I don't consider myself to be a connoisseur, I've been around the block a few times. The author brought enough new elements to the table to keep me interested and to not leave me feeling like I was reading "just another man against the odds thriller" (which, if I'm honest, I would've been happy enough reading anyway - it's a template I'm okay with - but it's nice when people co
CL
 photo LIASOM_zps9e498f89.png

ARC received from: Goodreads

Rating: 5*

One-Sentence Summary: Clyde Barr will stop at nothing to rescue his sister

Review: Very seldom do I come across a book so good that I will clear my entire day just to sit and read it in one go. This debut by Erik Storey was one of those!

This book is being sold as the "new Jack Reacher series" and it was very much in that vein, except with even more fights and gun battles (if that's even possible!). It was non-stop action from start to finish with a few brief
Paul Pessolano
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Nothing Short of Dying” by Erik Storey, published by Scribner.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – August 16, 2016.

This is a story that will delight those who like, what I would call a modern western. The action, and there is a lot of it, all takes place in Colorado. Clyde Barr has been away for sixteen years but is drawn back by a plea from his sister.

Clyde is no stranger to roughing it. He has been employed around the world as a hunter, adventurer, and mercenary. He has also been an
Gail Wylde
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I was going to give this book 4* but on reflection it is so near to a 5* that I had to go for it. Just a little too much violence for my liking, but I loved Clyde Barr - a man you would want in your corner. He is in the vein of Lee Child's Jack Reacher but with a slightly softer edge. This book had me gripped from the start, it was like watching a great all action film (please don't cast Tom Cruise as Clyde!!!). This is the first in hopefully a long ...more
Bonnye Reed
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bonnye Reed by: Netgalley
Shelves: kindle-or-pdf
GNAB I received a free, electronic copy of this novel from Netgalley, Erik Storey and Scribner in exchange for an honest review. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me.

This is an excellent, edge of your seat action novel, with a gritty, gold-hearted hero and strong female characters. Only the bad guys are without a saving grace. I look forward to more from Mr. Storey. He is an author I will follow.

Aug 16th, 2016
Jim
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Better than average thriller. Plot is somewhat slow to get rolling. Protagonist Clyde Barr is a bit of an enigma, is he a bad good guy or a good bad guy. Did enjoy the conclusion. It's a 3.25 star read. I will be reading second book in series sometime soon,. Check it out.
Brit
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting break out of my normal genre. I was having a craving for a survivalist adventure through the mountains, high stakes and a dash of romance. It was all of that. But it was much grittier than I normally like to read. However, I found it to be refreshing from my usual predictable reads, particularly because there are no sacred cows in this story.

The characters are well-created and memorable. I liked Clyde Barr for the most part. I like his soft spot for people in a pinch but
Terry Houchin
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it

This is Erik Storey’s debut novel. That in itself is exciting. This novel is what I consider to be a fast paced thriller. By that I mean it is non-stop action.
This poor guy, Clyde Barr, can not catch a break. He has good intentions. He has great survival skills and has a big heart.
His sister, Jen, calls and tells him she is being held against her will and that the man holding her is going to kill her once she is of no use to him anymore. Then the line goes dead.
He has no idea where she is
Eric
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Erik Storey's Nothing Short of Dying is a good summer read.

Clyde Barr is a drifting man who receives a cryptic call for help from his sister Jen. His sister is being held at an unknown location by a vicious thug planning some sort of unknown heist. Clyde is compelled to help his sister, fueled by a promise once made to her when the two were younger.

Storey parses out the backstory of Barr and his sister in sprinkles throughout the book and brings in a wide variety of supporting characters - som
Jenny
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm so excited about this new author! His writing is certainly not that of a newcomer though, he writes like a seasoned professional. Once I started reading I couldn't stop turning pages, the attention to detail and language was exceptional. He also introduces some humor at the most unusual moments, which serves to lighten the mood during periods of intensity.

I loved the characters in this book, they felt real, damaged but not broken, with room for growth and such determination...

He does remin
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Target Lancer (Nathan Heller, #16)
  • La nuit du 3 août (XIII, #7)
  • Black Lagoon, Vol. 2
  • Midnight Plus One (Crime Masterworks)
  • People Die
  • The Ambushers (Matt Helm, #6)
  • Retribution, Part 2 (Lady Snowblood, #4)
  • The Blue Ice
  • Levon's Trade (Levon Cade, #1)
  • Polar, Vol. 1: Came from the Cold
  • Hellboy Omnibus Volume 2: Strange Places
Erik Storey is a former ranch hand, wilderness guide, dogsled musher, and hunter. He spent his childhood summers growing up on his great-grandfather’s homestead or in a remote cabin in Colorado’s Flat Tops wilderness. He has earned a number of sharpshooter and marksman qualifications. Nothing Short of Dying is his first novel. He and his family live in Grand Junction, Colorado. - See more at: http ...more

Clyde Barr (2 books)
  • A Promise to Kill (Clyde Barr, #2)
“It would be nice, after this was over, to take a long raft trip. Maybe Jen and I could paddle through Westwater and its ass-clenching rapids, then lounge on the banks in Moab for a week or two. That would be heaven: a raft trip with a beer in my hand instead of a rifle. I” 0 likes
“A sleek blue sports sedan with tinted windows appeared, moving too fast toward the park. I stepped out of the shadows and motioned to Allie, who started running toward me. “Get in the truck and stay there,” I said quietly. “I’ll be back in a minute.” She hesitated for a moment before opening the passenger door. Her look asked for an explanation. “We have visitors,” I said. “Barr,” 0 likes