Start by marking “The Dead Seekers (Dead Seekers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Seekers (Dead Seekers, #1)

The Dead Seekers

(Dead Seekers #1)

In the New York Times bestselling Noble Dead saga, Barb and J.C. Hendee created an engrossing mix of “intrigue, epic fantasy, and horror.”* Now, they present a bold new series set in the same world, where the destinies of two hunters shaped by the shadows of their pasts are about to collide...

Published January 3rd 2017 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Seekers, please sign up.
J.C. Hendee The publisher [Penguin-Putnam] did not renew the contract for the next volume and then merged with Random House (now Penguin Random House... aka the…moreThe publisher [Penguin-Putnam] did not renew the contract for the next volume and then merged with Random House (now Penguin Random House... aka the "Random" Penguin).

Over 65% of previous Penguin authors were dropped; 75% of Penguin staff were dismissed with another 10% leaving within 3 months after merger.

It is now highly unlikely we will find another publisher to continue this series. More unlikely we will consider a self-published sequel, as such are never profitable for time invested.

Sorry for all the bad news.

[NOTE: All statistics above are hearsay, though from multiple sources. No direct certifiable verification is available.](less)

Lola
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars.

This is a light enough fantasy book that it can easily be read without it requiring much from the reader, except for their attention.

Tris can see, interact with and control the dead. He is known as ‘‘the Dead’s Man.’’

Mari’s parents died, and Mari thinks the Dead’s Man has to do with that.

So now that the both of them are together, heading to who-knows-where on an adventure, she has countless occasions to slit his throat.

But Mari wants to be sure he was the one who killed her parents be
Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE DEAD SEEKERS was just the book I needed to get me through this flu - it's light, escapist fantasy with creative world-building, but simplistic enough that I didn't need to expend too much brain power on what was going on.

DEAD SEEKERS is set in a world that appears to be based off Eastern Europe. Mari is a member of the Mondyalitko (seems to be based off the Romany), but has been on her own since an otherworldly being murdered her parent
Yodamom
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
This is a fantasy about a man, basically a ghost hunter who can drive murderous spirits out of his realm and give them true death. People call him the Dead’s Man. They fear him, avoid him, till they need him, then he comes and wrangles the dead. He hunts the dead but Mari, hunts him and plans on murdering him for, well she has good reason.. There is a small doubt that drives her to be sure before she he is the one. She decides to travel with him and gather her proof just to make sure.
There is a
Kimberly Laurel (The Trusty Bookmark)
As the last of him faded in the dark up the road beyond the town, Mari slipped silently out of the shack to follow. Her hand grew sweaty inside her glove where her grip tightened on the narrow-bladed dagger. (21)

I absolutely loved the Hendees’ Noble Dead Saga, and The Dead Seekers is a great start to another series that I cannot wait to obsessively follow. It falls under the paranormal fantasy genre, involving dead spirits, alchemists, and shape shifters, and is placed in the same world as Hende
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
The Dead Seekers is the first book in a new series and that is something that I'm bloody happy about since I really loved this book! And, now I will try to write a review about a book I love which I hate to do since I just want to say read it, it's brilliant. But, I will try to be a bit versatile than that.

The book starts off with Tris Vishal being born. But, he never breaths and the midwife has to tell his poor parents that the baby is stillborn. Then, the midwife notices that he starts to brea
Beth
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tris is a known as the “Deads Man”, he is hired to remove ghost/spirits of the dead to rest. They pay him and he moves on.

Mari wants vengeance for her family’s death and she blames the “Deads Man”.

A chance encounter in the woods makes Mari question want she thought about the “Deads Man”, so she decides to stay with him until she has proof of his evil deeds. What she discovers is more shocking than she could have ever imagined.

The Dead Seekers was a quick and enjoyable read without complex, mind
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/01/05/...

For so long I’ve been wanting to read something by Barb and J.C. Hendee, and with The Dead Seekers being the first of a new series, I figured there’s no better time and place to jump onboard! Better yet, later I was even more excited to learn that the book is set in the same world that was made well-known by the authors’ popular Noble Dead Saga.

Things kick off with a prologue which introduces readers to the story’s two p
☕️Kimberly
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Dead Seekers is told by our two main characters, Mari Kaleja and Tris Vishal. We also get a little perspective from Tris's mentor, an alchemist which I found equally fascinating. Mari is a cat-shifter whose family was wiped out in the woods by a dark shadow in her youth. Since then she has sought revenge. Tris Vishal a noblemen by birth but lives atop an alchemist's shop and travels from village to village using his powers to remove spirits from this world.

I quickly slipped into this world a
Carrie
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Mari Kaleja has spent her life seeking revenge on whatever creature had killed her entire family when she was only ten years old. Having watched the attack and being the only survivor Mari had been pushed away and told she was cursed so revenge is the only thing she ever focused on since the incident in the woods. Mari has heard tales of the Dead's Man and has followed the path to his doorstep seeking her revenge but before she kills him she must know for sure that he is the one that stole her f ...more
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

The Dead Seekers is the first installment in authors Barb & J.C. Hendee's new series called Dead Seekers. This is a series that is set in the same world as the Noble Dead saga. You don't have to have read the previous series to enjoy this book. The Dead Seekers is told by two main characters: Mari Kaleja and Tris Vishal. This book is different from the Nobel Dead in that it doesn't feature vampires which has been a staple of the duo's
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
rather enjoyed this fast paced fantasy book it makes you keep turning the page and before you know it you are done.

I liked the world building that was rather enjoyable and easy to follow. The same goes with the characters.

The characters are easy to relate to and follow, but you really never know who you can trust up to the end.

I enjoyed the suspense we get throughout the book that keeps you guessing.

Please find my full review here:
Bob Milne
As much as I enjoyed the first few Noble Dead books, this just didn't have the same hook for me. It's well-written, with a story that flows easily across the page, lending itself to a very quick read . . . but that's also the problem. The story was just too light for my tastes, without the kind of character depth, world-building, and atmosphere that I was looking for.

It opened strong, and I liked the characters of Tris and Mari, but I didn't care so much for the telling of the tale. It was very
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: He puts the dead to rest, and she has been hunting for her families killer for a long time.

Opening Sentence: “One more, my lady,” the midwife urged a woman before her on a bed.”

Excerpt: Yes

The Review:

Tris was born dead, the midwife was on her way to bury his body when he suddenly began to breathe. As a result of that, he has always been able to see ghosts. When he is 13 a ghost goes rogue and begins attacking everyone inside the castle, and
Cardyn Brooks
As other reviewers have remarked, The Dead Seekers offers enjoyable light fantasy fare in the context of a believably detailed imaginary world of powerful spirits and humans with conflicted motives. This first entry is a strong hook for reading this author's back list while anticipating the next title in this new series.
Jacque
As a child, Mari's family was murdered in front of her. The only thing that has kept her going is vengeance. She has been looking for the one called "The Dead's Man" who she suspects is the responsible one. Mari thinks she has found the killer with Tris, she just needs to be sure. Tris travels from village to village helping put spirits to rest. After being saved by Mari, he asks for her help as he travels to the next village. What they encounter tests Mari's beliefs and gives her more insight t ...more
Nick T. Borrelli
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
***I received an ARC of this title from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***

Barb and J.C Hendee's Noble Dead series has always been a favorite of mine. That is why I was so sad to see it end a while back. Well I'm happy to say that Barb and J.C. are at it again, this time with a brand new series set in the same world as the Noble Dead. These books are always a lot of fun and are a blend of vampire fiction/fantasy. In the first book of the series we are introduced t
Joy
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The author knows how to write a good tale but this is still a very bland telling. Medivel Ghost Busters without any humor. Thrown in a gypsy shape shifter for romance.
Minx
Dark, intriguing and a real page turner! I enjoyed this story immensely and did not want to put this story down. Throughout this tale you are given just enough information to form a plausible assessment of the situation but are left with enough doubt that it draws you into the story because you just have to know what is going on! It was a fantastic spirit hunt from beginning to end!

This story starts out shrouded in mystery with the introduction of two different characters whose lives encounter t
Suzyq
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-books
I enjoyed the book, but was a bit frustrated by the inconclusive story and character development. I liked semi-feral Mari a lot, but spooky Tris was much less well-developed, and much less engaging as a result. This is clearly the start of a new series, but I feel I've already been down this road with the Noble Dead saga. Come to think of it, that series never resolved in a satisfying way, even after seven or eight books. Hmmm.
Kari Marie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I disliked this book. I found one of the main characters so one dimensional in her focus and just an idiot. The other main character was boring. I cannot think of one thing that really stands out. While the book is fast paced it is forgettable and the characters ruined anything I could have enjoyed about this book.
Bibliofiendlm
Full review: http://tinyurl.com/j8al8v6
_______________

Loved it! Excellent world-building and the introduction of dynamic character for a new epic fantasy series.
Fernanda Bomtempo-Marzo
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Really good start to a new series. Good world building without excessive info dumping. Can't wait till the next book.
Kat
***3.5 out of 5 stars***

Yes, there are ghosts all over the place in this book, and, no, they don't look quite like the example above, but I couldn't resist.

This is my first time reading anything by the Hendee's, and I am happy I took the time to check them out. In The Dead Seekers there isn't a lot of world building, but there is enough done in this book in order for book 2 of this series to go to interesting places.

The creep factor was actually present, because, in this world, the ghosts can ac
Ro
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dead Seekers, set in the world of the Noble Dead, is the first in a new series by high fantasy writing pair: Barb Hendee and J. C. Hendee.

Mari, orphaned in a horrific massacre at 10, believes she’s finally tracked down the one responsible for her family’s death. She’s a half-feral, vengeance minded young woman intent on tracking and killing her prey… until she meets him. Tris, is an unassuming, self-contained young man used to being feared due to his unusual, talents. Each exist as an outcas
Barb Lie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Dead Seekers by Barb and J.C. Hendee is the 1st book in their new Dead Seekers series. We meet our hero Tris Vishal very early on, when he was first born. Shall we say he was born dead, but within minutes he came back to life. From then on, Tris life has been all about death. His mother adored her miracle child, and his father hated and feared him. When he reaches the age to move on, Tris lives up to his nickname “The Dead’s Man”, as he is the only one who can force the dead to move on into ...more
Sharon Tyler
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Dead Seekers is the first book in a new series by the same name by Barb & J.C. Hendee. It is set in the same word as their Noble Dead saga, which I have not read. However, I think that readers with no prior knowledge of the world will be able to fully appreciate the story, as I did. Although I will admit that I am now intrigued to see what was written before.

In the dark reaches of the eastern continent, Tris Vishal travels from village to village, using his power to put unsettled spirit
Van (Short & Sweet Reviews)
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

Barb and J.C Hendee have an extensive backlog of books, but I’ve never had the pleasure of reading their books till now. And I must say it didn’t disappoint. The world building is pretty much straightforward and simple; there wasn’t a magical system or hierarchy that needed explanation. The only thing that was complex was the characters; Mari and Tris.

Tris is known as The Dead’s Man, banishing spirits whereve
Cheryl M-M
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mari finds herself in a bit of a predicament, because Tris isn’t exactly what she envisioned the enemy to be. Instead of steering steadfast in the direction of revenge she finds herself distracted by others in need, and by the realisation that Tris isn’t the cold-blooded murderer she thinks he is.

Then again perhaps he is one and she is just blinded by her constant need to be the one at the front of every single conflict. Mari is a Mondyalitko, a shape-shifting traveller. She runs head-first into
Steven Allen
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jessica Bronder
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mari Kaleja survived an attack on her family and has been hunting down the killer for years. She is looking for The Dead’s Man and thinks she has found him. But she wants to make sure he is the correct person before she exacts her revenge. Tris Vishal has the ability to put restless spirits to rest. He travels the land helping people, getting paid, then leaving. After being saved by Mari, Tris asks Mari to help him investigate the death of a young girl and settle her spirit.

I have been planning

• An H. P. Lovecraft Encyclopedia
  • Reanimatrix
  • The Goon, Volume 10: Death's Greedy Comeuppance
  • A Murder of Mages (The Maradaine Constabulary, #1)
  • Frankenstein Dreams: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Science Fiction
  • Heroes' Reward (Hero, #7)
  • The Bagman (The Abigail Cobble Trilogy, #1)
  • Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror
  • Awakening (The Twins Of Saranthium, #1)
  • Johannes Cabal and the Blustery Day: And Other Tales of the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #4.6)
  • The Demon Notebook (The Demon Notebook #1)
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Grim Lands (Volume 2)
  • Lenore - Purple Nurples
  • Weird New England
  • Death Shall Come
  • The Horror on the Links (The Complete Tales of Jules de Grandin, #1)
  • Prelude to Mayhem (Mayhem Wave, #1)

[See barbhendee.org]
Like most writers, I've worked at many jobs in my life, including teaching pre-school until I completed my master's degree in Composition Theory. Between 1993 and 2006, I taught college English while writing fiction on the side, some independently and some with my husband and life-long partner J.C.

Over the years, we've lived in Washington State, Idaho, Colorado, and now moved j