Jump to ratings and reviews

Who’s That Girl?

An achingly funny story from the author of the bestselling You Had Me at Hello

When Edie is caught in a compromising position at her colleagues’ wedding, all the blame falls on her – turns out that personal popularity in the office is not that different from your schooldays. Shamed online and ostracised by everyone she knows, Edie’s forced to take an extended sabbatical – ghostwriting an autobiography for hot new acting talent, Elliot Owen. Easy, right?

Wrong. Banished back to her home town of Nottingham, Edie is not only dealing with a man who probably hasn’t heard the word ‘no’ in a decade, but also suffering an excruciating regression to her teenage years as she moves back in with her widowed father and judgy, layabout sister.

When the world is asking who you are, it’s hard not to question yourself. Who’s that girl? Edie is ready to find out.

544 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 19, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mhairi McFarlane

24 books6,656 followers
Mhairi was born in Scotland in 1976 and her unnecessarily confusing name is pronounced Vah-Ree.

After some efforts at journalism, she started writing novels. It’s Not Me, It’s You is her third book. She lives in Nottingham, with a man and a cat.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
584 (4%)
1 star
171 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,180 reviews
Profile Image for Mhairi McFarlane.
Author 24 books6,656 followers
Read
April 28, 2016
Who's That Girl?

A colleague’s wedding

So far so good

description

The maid of honour goes all Julie Andrews in her speech

description

And things get bum-clenchingly awkward

description

Things get more awkward when Edie (not the bride) kisses her good friend Jack (the groom)

description

We follow Edie through the mires of shock, vexation, and fear

description

As the bride goes ape s***

description

It was all a terrible mistake. Now Edie’s being chased out of London with a good social media pitch-forking.

description

There’s only one place where she’ll be safe

description

Her life unravelling quicker than the Daily Mail can poop out Kim Kardashian stories, Edie returns to the bosom of her family in Nottingham (The North, ish).

description

But there’s no quelling the fire of rumours and shame

description

And Edie looks to the heavens when her job lands her in ghostwriting hell with Hollywood’s returning prodigal son

description

With the dust of her old shattered life settling around her, she needs to dig deep

description

It’s time for Edie to stop, and reflect

It’s time to ask...

description
Profile Image for Susan's Reviews.
1,039 reviews462 followers
October 21, 2021
I dearly wish that Mhairi McFarlane would write another novella-sized sequel for Who's That Girl?. Elliot and Edie need a good revisiting! Just sayin'!! How can a great literary talent like Edie's be left to dwindle while she writes copy for Ad Hoc?

And that open ending was just killer for me! Stylistically, I could appreciate it but I also whined a fair bit. I wanted to see Elliot too!!! I missed him so much: waaaah! (Also, I never like sacrificing a great reunion scene for the sake of innovative writing techniques. Hey, I'm sappy that way!)

As I read the last few chapters, I was reminded of a few friends whose parents had "long distance" or "often absent" relationships because of their jobs (train conductor or engineer or different shifts, etc.) Most of these friends would say that their parents' relationships thrived or lasted BECAUSE of all the time apart. In one friend's household, Christmas or other celebrations would be delayed and shared as a family whenever the absent parent came home. Spoiler Alert: I picture this same scenario for Edie and Elliot during the first few years while Edie rebuilds her life. Where there is a will, there is a way, and Edie and Elliot (in my mind) do find a way. Imagine how cute Elliot and Edie's babies will be!!!! Mhairi McFarlane left it up to the reader to insert the happy ending here.

[image error]

As I already said, that last sentence was kind of a let-down for me. I suffered that nagging feeling of incompleteness that Elliot and Edie shared when they thought about their absent mothers. It's Not Me, It's You still has my vote as this author's best ending ever, but the novella After Hello is a very close second.

This novel takes quite a while to get into but towards the middle and the end there was just so much going on that I hated to put the book down. In retrospect, I think that some of the earlier passages at the beginning of of the novel could have been edited or pared down so that the ending wasn't so rushed. This is the only reason that I deducted a half point and I rated this one a 4.5 out of 5. Still, I love spending time in this author's hilarious, emotional roller coaster of a ride world, and this book was no exception!
Profile Image for Chelsea (chelseadolling reads).
1,471 reviews19.1k followers
January 10, 2019
BLAH. I wanted to love this because it started off so funny, but sadly you can't always get what you want. There definitely were some parts that had me giggling, but this was mostly just another one of those books that suffered from a ton of "edgy" jokes that didn't really hit the mark for me. Plus, this book was hella long and the ending didn't feel satisfying in the slightest. Big womp :c

TW: suicide, loss of a parent
Profile Image for A_Ryan.
589 reviews172 followers
March 4, 2017
5 Saudade Stars!!!

Saudade: "‘A Portuguese word that has no direct translation, it means “a profound longing for something or someone that is absent and might never return”. Sort of turbo-charged, ultra-poignant nostalgia. “The love that remains after someone is gone.”’"

Mhairi McFarlane is one of my absolute favourite authors. Whenever one of her books comes out, I speed through the streets, knocking over old ladies and jumping over disorientated toddlers just to get to the book store to get a copy.

Then, I immediately open up my diary and block out a chunk of time during which I am officially unreachable. 'Take away' becomes the meal of choice, research takes a holiday, my husband looks after the kids, and personal grooming becomes... questionable.
I take what's (lovingly) known as a "Don't talk to me, I'm reading Mhairi!!" holiday.

Who's That Girl was FANTABULOUS!!

Full of wit and charm and McFarlane's unmistakable humour and insight, it expertly explored the effects gossip and notoriety has on people, and the importance of holding onto what's real.

Edie was a perfect heroine. Just the perfect blend of kindness, vulnerability, self-depricating humour, and mad-ass survival instincts to make me want to cheer her on at every turn. And Elliott was a totally swoon-worthy, boy-next-door disguised as a superstar yum-pot. I loved everything about him. Even his 'beano' moment.

It was emotional and gut-wrenching and awkward and beautiful.

If you like top-quality chick-lit... and if you have a pulse, then this is an absolutely awesome must-read!
Profile Image for Jacqueline.
1,600 reviews139 followers
April 9, 2017
A fab story ruined by a shitty ending. Gutted.
Profile Image for boogenhagen.
1,981 reviews651 followers
March 22, 2017
I feel sorta bad I did not like this more but the ending was inconclusive and I hate that.

I am essentially a very lazy person, I want authors to tell me things -- like how everything turns out -- because I feel that makes a complete book reading experience.

If I wanted an ambiguous outcome I would write my own stories - but I don't want to do that because that is what I am paying authors to do.

So sadly while parts were great, the ending sucked and that brought it way down for me.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Yoda.
569 reviews110 followers
September 6, 2017
As I said, I´m physically incapable of not liking books by Mhairi McFarlane and this one is one of my favorites now. I just wish it was a bit longer, not by much but maybe 10-15 pages so we get to know about the reunion.
Profile Image for h o l l i s .
2,334 reviews1,821 followers
September 17, 2021
Even though I can probably admit to myself that this isn't my usual five-star feeling, I can't help but award it top marks anyway. Because McFarlane, as she so often does, does so many things right with this book, with her characters, with the situations, life lessons, and emotions she explores; and add to it that this might be the more romance-forward of her books..? It was so great. Though, having said that, it might be one of the less outright funny ones, too. Definitely clever, lots of banter and some great one-liners, but this author often makes me laugh as hard as she makes me cry and this had a softer hand with both of those things.

She didn't want to be That Girl. The girl with the sad story attached. She wanted to define herself, not be defined by an event over which she had no control [..]. That's what people with comfortable lives who were only playing the victim didn't understand, how they gave themselves away - if you'd actually been one, you were desperate to shed the label. You craved the normality that had been taken from you.

As usual, McFarlane sets up a circumstance in such an everyday person way, with a character who is not perfect and has to work through what has gone wrong. In this case, having a friendship with an affianced coworker that crossed some emotional boundaries; which then leads to a complication when, on said coworker's wedding day, he kisses her. And she's caught reacting too slowly and is then, well, caught by the bride. The blame game then goes full force and because of being emotionally compromised by the man, and the friendship, she is caught between some real guilt and some real betrayal when he is forgiven and she isn't and, of course, has to recalibrate while she hopes things blow over.

"You built him up to be something he wasn't. We women are prone to it, I think. No matter how grown up and independent we think we are, I swear we have a brain illness from childhood where we think a man on a white horse is going to turn up at some point and fix everything. And when he doesn't turn up, and he can't fix anything even when he does, we think we did something wrong."

I think, hands down, one of my favourite things about every single McFarlane is the friend group. And this one is no exception. And through those friends, and even some strangers, Edie faces some very different conversations and perspectives not only on the messy situation but also how the treatment that lead her to it is something she allows to happen to her over and over. The real talk was real. But seriously, the friend group? A+. Made even better when pitted up against those she thought were her friends but turn out not to be.

"What happens now, do we all go on dating sites and start Veet-ing our privates? If there's one thing to be said for long-term relationships, it's the freedom to have un-groomed genitals. Pubic fashions can come and go and you care not a jot."
"Hairy's back in anyway. Hairy's the new bald."
" I'm not Veet-ing my balls for any woman. And I'm pretty sure demand for my bare ballsack is nil. When did people start liking this macabre stuff? "

Sidenote, while it is always very satisfying and romantic when a love interest stands up for their person, it's even more satisfying when the main character does it for themselves. And Edie's moment? Beautiful. It would've been better had she not had to, of course, but still.

"Look. That isn't real life. That person they're talking about isn't you. There's another version of you, multiple versions of you, walking around out there. You have to let it go, or you'll go mad. Trust me on this. Keep these words in your head : those who know me better, know better."

What necessitated that beautiful moment was the relentless bullying and smear campaign against her. McFarlane tackles online bullying and how social media makes it easy to be vile others because people are turned into targets, symbols, or abstract archetypes, not.. well, human beings. And it was hard to read. Because we've all seen it happen to others or been impacted by it ourselves. This does, however, work as an interesting contrast as there is a character dealing with fame and the media on a larger scale and how, even when mostly positive, being talked about, with everyone assuming things about you or spinning a narrative, is difficult.

"Find the man who appreciates you at your best, not the one who confirms your worst suspicions about yourself."

As for the romance, it was so easy to root for it because the reader, unlike Edie, is far from oblivious to the love interest's intentions. And we had lots of page time to really know him, too, even without his POV. There was something that worried me about how it would pan out but.. I can't say more for spoilers. I can see why the ending is a bit polarizing but honestly I think that's part of why this gets a five. It made me so happy because I thought for sure we'd end with something else.

"The way I see it, you get people who are important to you, for as long as you get them. You never know how long it will be. You have to accept it and make use of the time you have."

I mentioned the humour was a little toned down and so were the emotions. But this does also deal with grief, two kinds, and you will very likely get choked up a few times. I know I did. There's even a sticky family dynamic that got to me, too.

WHO'S THAT GIRL is funny without being a comedy, is emotional without being devastating, sweet without any sugary cringe, and full of those good warm fuzzies when a character comes out stronger and knowing themselves better, especially when surrounded by a great support group.

Definitely recommend.

---

This review can also be found at A Take From Two Cities.
Profile Image for Blackjack.
414 reviews133 followers
August 3, 2022
My new favorite Mhairi novel, possibly? I think this is probably the most romantic or romance-centered one, or at least of the ones I've read thus far. Who's That Girl? is in many ways typical of McFarlane's novels in that it features a self-deprecating and witty heroine down on her luck, the heroine's much-needed journey of self-discovery, the hero-foil of a flashy love interest contrasted with a man who at first glance seems improbable hero material, and the requisite best friends indispensable to the heroine's happiness. Formulaic only on a surface level though, Mhairi's books are fabulous and I simply adored this one.

Edie is more victim than femme fatale in the opening chapters when the groom at a wedding she's attending corners her for a kiss. Maybe a bit unlikely but not out of the realm of possibility, the Kiss Is Witnessed!, and everyone subsequently blames Edie for being a homewrecker. However, we discover in the course of the novel that creating scapegoats gives many people in life pleasure for many different reasons. I initially thought this subplot of the bullying of Edie could be chalked up to an entertaining adult version of "Mean Girls," but as I thought about it more as the story unfolded, it occurs to me that public perception, and who should get to exploit a name, face, and story that has entered the public imagination is a galling feature of modern life. Stalking, cyberbullying, trolling, etc., all play a role in the upending of Edie's life, and had this not been a romantic comedy, the story could easily have slipped into tragedy. The book though is also women's fiction, and so much of Edie's revival focuses on how in life she learns the hard lessons of seeing the value in people worthy of her emotional investment. There are also a number of important characters in this story giving Edie sound advice, including the real hero of the story, and Edie's choice to fight to restore her good reputation that was wrongfully destroyed rather than to sit idly by while others distort her character plays out nicely in a number of scenes that had me smiling and rooting for her.

I will note too that I feared at first Edie jumping from the frying pan to the fire when she flees London from the scarlet letter branding and accepts a job ghostwriting an autobiography of a man she terms "Megabrat," the absurdly good-looking and popular actor of a medieval fantasy series on television. Elliot is set up to be such a prize boob at first that it's just so obvious now after having read a bunch of McFarlane's books that, #1: appearances are deceptive (i.e. the surly and petulant Elliot is not what he initially seems), and #2: McFarlane is a master at creating an unlikely hero of a book only to utterly redeem him. Case-in-point, Elliot and Edie try to create a working relationship based on the setup of her interviewing him while he talks all about himself. Joy! I can't be the only reader who initially felt twitchy about the concept of the heroine cast in the supportive role of the female listener as a powerful and out-of-reach man drones on about his life, but no, Elliot is too decent to engage in self-aggrandizement, and too self-aware of the problems with such a relationship with a woman. The moment when he tells Edie he can only talk to her if, "you ask me stuff, I ask you stuff," as their new paradigm, I knew everything would fall into place for them. Elliot, as it turns out, is smitten with Edie pretty early, and it's hard not to love a hero who values the heroine, especially one as wonderful as Edie is in this book. Elliot's right up there for me with the best of McFarlane's heroes.

I read a bunch of reviews of this book and noted some reader frustration at the abrupt and ambiguous ending of the novel, and now that I'm finished and am reflecting on it, I will admit that I wanted more from the last page on Edie's and Elliot's future. However, I felt able to envision so perfectly where they could be headed, and I trust that everything is okay with them. I recognize that I have to say goodbye to these characters, even though I don't want to, and maybe that is one of the best reasons to read a romance.
Profile Image for Justkeepreading.
1,756 reviews70 followers
March 2, 2017
I was so looking forward to this book. The bio reads like a Bridget Jones style Rom Com. Claiming laugh out loud moments. I adore the front cover and I liked the sound of the bio. But things fell a little flat.

The main character Edie was an annoying, and egotistical character. Louis is a totally cliche gay guy. Bitching behind everyone's backs and being a back stabber. (Gay people really aren't like this). There are the typical annoying characters who turn good in the end. Two egotistical typically handsome in love with themselves men. A plot that was completely and utterly predictable from the very first few chapters (usually I don't mind predictable. Sometimes it's rather nice. As it's easy to read. But this was annoying predictable). Have of the book really wasn't needed to and just felt like padding. It certainly could and would have been more enjoyable if it had been shorter.

Unfortunately not for me. I struggled to get through this one. Constantly hoping it would get better. But unfortunately not.

Hope you get on better with this book. Let me know what you thought.

Happy reading everyone.
Profile Image for Laura Tenfingers.
555 reviews87 followers
July 2, 2022
All the stars for all the feels!!!

Our heroine falls victim of a man putting her in a compromising position but even though he did it to her, she gets labeled the harpy whore while he gets forgiven and returned to the fold. Because of course he does, the bastard.

While our heroine tries to reassemble the pieces of her life she meets our hero. But guess what? She saves herself thank you very much. She learns something about herself and becomes better at taking care of herself as a result. And he is swoon-swoon-swoony.

Great vocab, great one-liners, great messages all wrapped up in a really good time. Highly recommend.
Profile Image for Claire Reads Books.
136 reviews1,371 followers
February 7, 2022
Well, I guess Mhairi McFarlane is now my current go-to when I’m in need of a good chick lit comfort read. (I know we’re not supposed to use chick lit anymore as a term, but…society has failed to come up with a better one, and for reasons I can’t explain, McFarlane’s books feel more chick-lit-y than “women’s fiction”-y to me, maybe because they’re genuinely funny in a way that I associate with British chick lit? I’m not sure, something to reflect on more at a later date.) Which is basically all to say that MM’s books aren’t full-blown romance novels but definitely scratch the rom-com itch for me, especially when it comes to the banter, the slow burn, her emotionally evolved heroes who seem to have already been through therapy and don’t need a woman to do it for them, and also I guess I’m getting to an age where her 30-something heroines are extremely compelling to me! This book is insanely long for its genre (500+ pages, how did that even happen!) but it read really fast, so I didn’t mind. I can also see people being peeved at the ending, but I think it worked all right, even if it was maybe just a little bit lazy.
Profile Image for Nina.
738 reviews276 followers
May 31, 2018
Ultimately, I really enjoyed this book but I have to say that it took me a very long time to get into this story. Most of the first half of the novel was pretty confusing because it felt like the beginning of this book was too abrupt. It starts right on the day of the wedding when the main characters kisses the groom and I would've liked it better if I had known more about some of the characters and the circumstances before reading that scene. After the kiss, things only slowly started being explained and everything began making sense for me, but for the most part of the first half of the book, I was just not understanding anything.

Nevertheless, I ended up liking most of the characters and Mhairi McFarlane's writing style and overall, I also enjoyed reading "Who's That Girl" which is why I'm still giving it three out of five stars!
Profile Image for michelle (magical reads).
819 reviews214 followers
November 12, 2020

cw: mentions of death of a parent (mother) by suicide, depression

WHAT KIND OF ENDING IS THAT I NEED ANOTHER SCENE/CHAPTER/BOOK

update (3/14/17):

I'm still offended by the ending @ the author pls give us at least another chapter

update (5/13/19):

it’s been almost three years and I’m STILL not over the ending, pls @ mhairi, write a novella, I’m begging you

update (12/18/19):

i think about this ending every damn day of my life
Profile Image for Jacob Proffitt.
2,853 reviews1,493 followers
October 28, 2019
What a relief that I liked this so much. I was thinking that my first experience with McFarlane would turn out to be a one-off. So we're at 2 and 2 with the misses being the earlier works.

I had the hardest time with Edie. As a name, I mean. Short for Edith, when applied to a younger person it just seems like it's trying too hard. I rather liked Edie the person, though. She was lovely and I really liked being along as she figures out how to value herself in her own right. McFarlane portrays this very well because Edie is smart and witty and all evidence is that she's pretty as well and these are all things we often think should naturally lead to self-confidence and an inherent sense of self-worth. So showing her struggles as they multiply as a result of bullying was brilliant and even better that she finds her way through to becoming stronger. Als0: kudos for showing that bullying isn't just a thing on a playground and making it realistic by showing it in its unvarnished "glory".

I liked Elliot, too, though he's kind of a wish-fulfillment fantasy in lots of ways. Again, McFarlane is good enough to give him some depth and made me like him almost immediately, even as I could empathize with his exasperation given Edie's insecurities and the mixed-signals they bring. I particularly liked his background and family and how well-integrated that was in his character. Which isn't a surprise as McFarlane is particularly adroit at giving us intriguing and powerful side characters.

And I suppose it didn't hurt my enjoyment to find lots of interesting parallels to one of my favorite movies, The Holiday. Nothing overt enough to actually invoke the movie, really, and I'm probably the only person who might think there's a similarity.

So this is a great chick lit with a fine romance and I was cruising on five stars until the end. McFarlane pulls a bit of a cheap shot in the end and it dropped me pretty hard. I was worried leading up because the author got me to buy into Which I think is just all kinds of cheap.

So yeah, four stars. As disappointed as I was with the end, it was awesome getting there. And editing a story in my head is my superpower, even if I sometimes resent having to use it.

A note about Chaste: Sex happens in the book. But there's nothing explicit beyond the acknowledgement that sex happens. So I consider this chaste with only some great kisses on-page, but others may be more strict and deem this not-so-chaste.
Profile Image for Karla✨.
561 reviews
July 21, 2022

🌟 𝚁𝙴𝚅𝙸𝙴𝚆 (4)★★★★☆
Primero que nada no tenía en mi lista este libro pero el día que fui a la librería estaba en los libros en descuento y no dude en comprarlo 🤩.

Desde la portada y con la sinopsis este libro se quiso venir a mi casa y fue una lectura que disfrute mucho estos días.

Eddie es una protagonista que a pesar de pasar por momentos difíciles desde el lado familiar hasta el laboral mantiene la positividad al máximo aunque en algunas ocasiones necesita de un personaje que es nada más y nada menos que Elliot y a pesar de que este personaje te desespera y Eddie igual, ya que es un slown burn que te mantendrá a la espera del final.

La parte final te puede dejar pensar muchas cosas pero en sí el cómo al final se puede ver que es lo que pasa en realidad.
Profile Image for Jessica (Jess Hearts Books).
675 reviews386 followers
April 12, 2016
Mhairi McFarlane is one of my favourite authors and Who’s That Girl is her best book yet! Her stories are always funny, smart and slick and despite their length I never want them to end.

Who’s That Girl follows Edie Thompson whose found herself in a very modern, very complicated sort-of-relationship with a guy at her work. On his wedding day he kisses Edie and his new wife witnesses it all. Labelled a “marriage wrecker” and “the other woman” Edie becomes a social pariah. Targeted by bullies both online and at work she flees London in shame and goes back home to Nottingham. Her boss throws Edie the lifeline of ghost writing famous television star Elliot Owen’s biography and the two connect over their lives being judged by other people – Elliot with the press and Edie with her online bullies but there’s more than one side to each of us and we’re more than what people see. Who’s that girl? Edie’s about to find out.

I think that what puts Mhairi McFarlane head and shoulders above the rest for me is her heroines and the way she writes them. They’re all incredibly complex and their stories aren’t solely based on their love lives. The romance in Mhairi’s books is equal to the relationships her heroines have with their friends, family, career and themselves which results in a more fleshed out, modern heroine who I relate to. Every one of her heroines comes to feel like my best friend when I’m reading their story and I see myself reflected in them.

One of my favourite aspects of Who’s That Girl is its take on social media. Like most people, Edie is addicted to her phone and has built an image online showing her best self, so when that all comes crashing down she has an identity crises of sorts. It was interesting to read about our online selves in comparison to our real selves, we live in a time where it’s very easy to feel like you know somebody and can make a judgment on them when really you’re only seeing a small part of who they are.

Who’s That Girl is a heart-warming, emotional and fist pump inducing read about claiming your own identity and sticking it to anyone who tries to tell you who you are, who you are not and puts a label on you. Who’s That Girl has left me book drunk and has utterly spoiled me for all other romantic comedies this year.

Who’s that girl? She’s Edie Thompson and she’s f***ing fabulous!
Profile Image for Pilar.
Author 3 books71 followers
October 14, 2017
Demasiado larga para la historia que cuenta, hay trozos que los he leído en diagonal. Y luego el final, lo siento pero no. La decisión que toman si lo pienso bien, a pesar de que no me ha gustado, la entiendo y creo que casa bien con los personajes. Pero el final, final, es decir, esa última frase... ¡¡¿Cómo puede dejarlo así, sin epílogo ni nada?!! Conforme escribo esto me está dando por pensar que no creo que haya segunda parte ¿Noooo? Vale, tendré que investigar...
Profile Image for María Ángeles.
398 reviews72 followers
May 19, 2022
Perpleja me quedo porque a pesar de que la primera parte del libro no me estaba convenciendo nada, la segunda parte ha ido ascendiendo exponencialmente hasta encantarme. Por libros como este no hay que dejar de darle una última oportunidad a un libro.

Y mi problema con la historia es que no estaba entendiendo realmente el libro. No es una historia de una pareja que se conoce y que se enamora, es la historia de una chica que se da cuenta que la vida que estaba viviendo era una auténtica mentira-decepción y por fin logra la confianza en sí misma para recomponerse. Con una gran Edie, a pesar de la paranoia inicial a la que le da tanta importancia cuando no la tiene, como lectora romántica que soy me ha faltado más de Edie y Elliot. Porque Elliot... hacía tiempo que no me enamoraba tan rápido de un personaje literario (¡y mira que tenemos poco de Elliot!). SPOILER: el microsegundo que me ha parecido el tiempo que han estado juntos me ha parecido absolutamente maravilloso.
En cuanto al final tan discutido por todas, ¡¡¡¡¡a mi me ha encantado!!!!!! ¿Es que queda alguna duda de algo? Todo absolutamente bien resuelto.

Mención especial a las dos frases de esa postal maravillosa (no leer en caso de no haber leído la historia):
"Soy muy consciente de que no estás a mi lado. Creo que la palabra es «saudade»"
Profile Image for Obsidian.
2,676 reviews919 followers
December 23, 2019
This was a strong 3.5 star read I rounded up to 4 stars. Biggest issue is that some characters read like cliches (Louis) and also Edie was a hot mess. It's fine if you are a hot mess, but she stayed a hot mess for a good majority of the book. Her being angry that an A-list star wasn't trying to get with her was just exhausting at some point. I thought parts of the book were funny and some sad (her discussing what happened to her mother and how that affected her family). I did like how things ended up, but wish that she had wised up sooner to the character of Jack who practically had "I am a wanker" tattooed on his forehead.

"Who's That Girl" follows Edie as she attends the wedding of two of her colleagues. We don't know why Edie is sad, but eventually it all comes out. When Edie is found kissing the bridegroom the fallout from work and her social media is nuclear. When her boss gives her a chance to write an autobiography with the new hot English actor she jumps at the chance to get away from work even though it means returning to her hometown and memories she like to forget. Most of the big is Edie being told by her two oldest friends that the guy she thought could be the one was a liar and manipulator. And then Edie starting to catch feelings for her subject, Elliot.

Edie...Edie has zero spine. Seriously, she just goes along to get along and even though her supposed best friend Louis at work is nasty to her, she just puts up with it. Seriously that is Edie's whole thing. She puts up with things unless it's dealing with her sister being mean to her, that she won't put up with. I wanted to feel sorry for Edie, but I just couldn't. Emotionally cheating is still cheating, and I am glad that the book also looked at her actions and didn't let her off scot free. The cyber-bullying aspects of things was awful though and McFarlane did a great job of showing a toxic work environment and how social media has become the Devil's playground.

The secondary characters such as Elliot didn't do much for me. He was fine, I just think that having her jump into a relationship felt really strange after everything she was dealing with.

The writing at times was funny, but honestly I wanted to look away a few times due to the cringe factor in certain places.

The ending was really good and ends on a teaser which surprised me. I liked it though, so no complaints about that.
Profile Image for Océano de libros.
728 reviews73 followers
May 26, 2016
WTF!!!!!!! Estoy muy decepcionada con este libro y muy pero que muy enfadada con la autora, y supongo que con el tiempo y con algo de reflexión se me pasará pero por ahora no tengo otra intención que estampar el libro contra la pared. Lo siento, necesito desahogarme ;) buffff
--------Aquí mi pequeña reseña:
Edie Thompson se ve de la noche a la mañana de ser una chica independiente, fiestera y alegre, a ser la paria en su puesto de trabajo y todo por haber besado al novio.
Edie abrirá los ojos más que nunca conociendo a la gente que la rodeaba y cómo la tratan por su pequeño error.
Su “castigo” será tomar un nuevo trabajo: realizar la autobiografía del famoso y atractivo actor de moda Elliot Owen, un hombre antipático que no se lo pondrá nada fácil a Edie.
La novela comenzaba bastante bien con ese punto divertido y de ironía que suele presentar la autora en sus novelas. Me gustó la introducción con el tema de las redes sociales, con su hipocresía y con la actuación de las personas a través de las mismas y poder ver más el lado negativo. Pero poco a poco el relato se nos hace un poco pesado, sí hay partes interesantes pero también hay otras que son soporíferas y en las que no pasa nada crucial, es más de relleno que otra cosa. Más hacia la parte final el relato es adictivo y muy emotivo, la verdad es que me ha tocado el corazón.
Por otra parte creo que ha sido demasiado largo y carece de humor (ese humor internacional por decir algo) comparado con otro de sus libros o sí que lo hay pero es el típico humor inglés (con el que ellos se partirán supongo) que quizás no entendamos los españoles (o bueno seré yo sola), no sé si me explico.
Los personajes me han encantado no solo los principales, aunque en la parte final me he sentido muy decepcionada con la actuación de Edie, no lo entendí, ni lo quiero entender.
Por otra parte Elliot, me sorprendió porque no es nada de lo que se supone esperar, pero para bien me refiero, me ha gustado mucho su personaje.
Pero aquí viene mi crítica más feroz y es el motivo por el que no voy a darle cinco estrellas (que se las merece porque es un buen libro, bien narrado y bla bla bla) y le voy a dar una porque no me gustó ese final. Me he enfadado hasta límites insospechados, anoche me quedé con una frustración imposible de explicar. Habrá a quien le guste ese final y se invente mil historias con ese final más abierto que el spagat de Van Damme, a mí me parece una tomadura de pelo, aún me estoy preguntando si la editorial se olvidó de imprimir la parte final. Me siento decepcionada y cabreada y de momento no voy a seguir leyendo nada de esta autora y mira que tenía otro libro de ella por leer, pero de momento ahí se queda.
Profile Image for Lidia.
312 reviews94 followers
July 9, 2016
4,5. Aun estoy conmocionada por ese final. No es de los que te esperas y durante un minuto piensas si arruina la historia. Salvo que te das cuenta de que es lo mejor.
Me ha encantado la historia, cada vez me gusta más esta autora. Hay humor, diálogos mordaces, crítica hacia la tiranía de las redes sociales y una segunda parte un poco más emotiva y sentimental que logra tocarte.
Un lectura muy recomendable.
September 15, 2016

Who's That Girl is the first book I've read by Mhairi McFarlane. More than just a romantic comedy, McFarlane takes readers on a funny and emotional journey through Edie's life after a social disaster, exploring themes of family, friendship, and of course, love. As an added bonus, some of the side characters were wonderful! (Read the synopsis!)

I really liked Edie a lot. I have such admiration for characters who have a quick wit and she was definitely one of those characters. Well-intentioned and relatable, the unfortunate—and at times, fortunate—predicaments Edie found herself in were so much fun to read. Though, I did think it was a little unrealistic at how oblivious she was to Elliot for so long (more on that later).

Elliott was so freaking adorable, you guys! If you like beta heroes, he is a good one! I really liked how sensitive he was to Edie's plight and was always making sure she was okay. There was a scene where Edie was feeling rather dreadful and he freaking carried her to his trailer. You'd have to read it to understand my swoons, but it was rather sweet. I swooned. I did.
"Can I see you tomorrow? Can I see you constantly? Can I see you with no clothes on again?

Perhaps my favorite character is Margot, the quirky, former actress, high-functioning drinker, and much older next-door neighbor (yeah, that's a lot). Edie bonds with her from the first moment she puts Meg (Edie's annoying sister) in her place. What follows is a friendship between them and visits, during which Margot imparts some great advice to Edie, who's struggling to figure out what she wants with her work, love, and family life. Here are some of her one-liners:
"You're young and beautiful, why not have a go at this boy while you're at it? Might liven him up. Or is he a homosexual? Sadly true of so many of the exquisite ones."

"Oh I didn't, is it your birthday? How marvellously timed, then. Which one is it?"
"Thirty-six," Edie said, reluctantly.
"Don't tell me the truth. Don't tell anyone the truth. You can pass for twenty-eight on a cloudy day, I'd say. Stick there until you're forced to go to thirty-four."

"Don't waste the young and beautiful years being anxious, darling. There's plenty of old and ugly ones coming."

Sparks fly between these Elliot and Edie gradually over interviews for Elliot's book. It felt completely organic, which I loved—two humans who connected on every level just talking and getting to know each other. Elliot had this self-deprecating side to him, which only made me love him more. This only contributed to his hesitancy towards being more direct with Edie. Likewise, Edie had her own personal doubts on how he felt. These two were a freaking pair. I really liked them together.
"Friends, I won't lie, it is weird sometimes. It makes you appreciate that thing about how you 'can't make new old friends'. Your best mates know you're still you and if you disappeared up your arse they'd let you know. You just have to still be able to hear it. New friends are trickier. The question of whether they'd still laugh at your jokes if you worked in Greggs is always there, hovering. You need to have good instincts. And you discover there's a strange subcategory—your in this category, although it's mainly male..."
Edit sat up straighter: "What? How?"
"People who pre-dislike you because they're so sure they're going to dislike you, they may as well get it over with. Frustratingly, they're often the smart people you'd quite like to like you."

"Say that we 'wanted different things'. She wanted to carry on being a petulant wazzock and I wanted to fire her into the heart of the sun. Also put 'she's a free spirit, I don't think anyone will ever be able to tie her down' as a euphemism for about as a faithful as a bonobo monkey."

McFarlane could have gone down the road to clichéville with this storyline but she didn't. Instead, she made the "normal girl falling in love with a movie star" plot seem fresh and new with the layered subplots and interesting side characters. Blended together with a slow-burning love story, we meet Edie and Elliott's families. Both families have their own struggles and in the end grow close together as they work through them. I liked that the focus of this book wasn't so much on Elliott's stardom but rather his family.

What keeps me from rating it higher is that the book was extremely long—topping out at over 500 pages—and I wasn't always compelled to pick it back up again after putting it down. The book was really bottom heavy with the romance; things didn't really pick up in that department until the last 15% or so. The ending felt really rushed. I wished some of the middle section had been condensed and the events towards the ending would have happened a little sooner. There was so much middle material that seemed to drag on.

I also thought Meg's character (Edie's younger sister) was too much like a caricature and over-exaggerated. She didn't seem like a real person to me for most of the book, since she had every single cliché of a vegan, hippie, and a hipster combined into one person.

This is not a criticism at all but more as a note to readers: There is a lot of British terminology and slang in this book, some of which went over my head. It didn't bother me in the slightest. But I think I would have caught on to some of the humor and references had I known what they meant.

I really look forward to reading YOU HAD ME AT HELLO soon. It sounds really good!

* I received an advance copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Read this ReviewMy WebsiteFacebookTwitterPinterestInstagramSubscribe by Email

****************
★★UPCOMING BOOK RELEASES★★
****************
Profile Image for Drache.
846 reviews8 followers
December 17, 2022
February 2022: loved it still so much.. Watching Edie's journey was special. I wanted to hug her and Elliot, alternately.
-----------------------------
April 2021:
It's been years that I read this book the first time and didn't remember much, not even if I had liked it.
But I really really loved it this time around. A flawless storyline, intriguing characters, lots of chemistry, family dynamics and absence of drama. This was amazing. 5 stars.
Profile Image for Eoin Wallace.
2 reviews
July 10, 2016
The book is tight; the plot is smart. It’s obvious (to me anyway) the plot was planned in advance and then strictly adhered to. Events and characters are foreshadowed from the start and they come together in an elegant way by the end. This is an engaging book, and it is well worth reading if you’re looking for more than common fluff.
Profile Image for Desa.
504 reviews228 followers
March 19, 2017
Entre 4'5 y 5★? 4'8★? ains, son casi casi las 5★, porque...LOVE

“You won't find someone who treats you as you should be treated until you start to believe you are worth the ones you want, the ones who aren't asking you to do any work. Find the man who appreciates you at your best, not one who confirms your worst suspicions about yourself.”

La sorpresa que me he llevado con este libro ha sido muyyyy grande. Lo compré en un impulso porque estaba en Círculo de Lectores en una edición preciosa y porque ya había leído You had me at hello, pero para ser sinceros no esperaba, para nada, que Who's that girl? fuera a gustarme tantísimo, y es que la historia de Edie me ha llegado mucho.

Prácticamente desde el primer capítulo ya te engancha. Quieres saber quien es Edie y porqué pasa lo que pasa en la boda de unos compañeros de trabajo. La voz de Edie es muy accesible, te atrae sin esfuerzo y quieres saber su historia. No la juzgas, simplemente te dejas llevar y acabas entendiéndola, apoyándola en sus decisiones y esperando que todo le vaya bien.

Después del desastre de la boda, ejem, el jefe de Edie le da la oportunidad de alejarse un poco del desastre y la manda a Nottingham (su ciudad natal) a escribir la biografía de uno de los actores de moda, Elliot Owen, famoso por una serie muy a lo GoT (me han encantado todas las referencias, jajajaja, el príncipe Wulfroarer del norte...). Me ha encantado todo lo que supone para Edie volver a su casa y cómo al final le cambia y le da una nueva oportunidad de vivir su vida como quiere y darse cuenta de las cosas que realmente importan. La relación con su padre y su hermana es complicada, con sus idas y venidas (sobre todo con su hermana, que al principio me sacaba de quicio), pero me ha gustado ver como evolucionaba e ir averiguando más de ellos como familia y de su pasado (muy heartbreaking pero precioso la forma en que está tratado todo). La amistad entre Edie, Hannah y Nick ha sido a+++ también, el cómo a veces, a pesar del tiempo y la distancia, te reencuentras con esas personas que en un momento dado hicieron clic contigo y, a pesar del tiempo, todo vuelve a hacer clic de nuevo y es como si no hubieran pasado los años; esos son los verdaderos amigos, y que Edie volviera a estar con Hannah y Nick después de todo lo que le había pasado (y lo que les había pasado a ellos porque well, life happens), me ha parecido maravilloso y tan bonito <3. Todos los personajes, incluso los más secundarios, están desarrollados y sientes que acabas el libro conociéndolos. He adorado a la extravagante Margot y como ella y Edie se hacen amigas; incluso Richard, el jefe de Edie, siempre diciéndole las crudas verdades aunque desde el respeto y la admiración que siente por ella, y echándole un cable por muy duro que sea.

En cuanto al romance...ains, el romance... me ha gustado tanto tanto tanto que i can't. Y me ha sorprendido porque hacía tiempo que no leía algo tan chick lit, cuando todo se cuece a fuego muyyyyyy lento y no está todo lleno de escenas de sexo. Son simplemente dos personas que se van conociendo, van hablando y de alguna forma encajan. Elliot es... Elliot, ese actor que Edie al principio no ve con demasiados buenos ojos porque lo que ve, o va predispuesta a ver, es al actor, no a la persona. Y, cuando conoce al Elliot de verdad, se convierte casi sin darse cuenta en su amigo y poco a poco en algo más *suspirito*. He acabado tan in love como ellos dos.

Mi única mini pega, que al mismo tiempo también es una de las cosas que más me ha gustado (contradictorio, i know) ha sido . Otra de mis cosas favs? El in your face que Edie les hace a todos los trolls, you go, girl. Después de todo por lo que pasa Edie y a lo que le exponen, porque claro, ella es la mujer destrozahogares y tiene que ser la mala, fue super empowering que se enfrentara a algunas de esas personas que le hicieron la vida imposible a través de las redes sociales (otro tema del libro que me ha encantado como la autora lo desarrolla, el poder que internet puede acabar teniendo sobre nuestras vidas, para bien y para mal) y dejara las cosas claras.

Me dejo muchas cosas, que es lo que suele pasar cuando quieres hablar de un libro que has amado y quieres contarlo todo sin decir nada, así que voy a terminar con un 'leedlo'. Si os gusta el chick lit, Mhairi se ha hecho un hueco y creo que actualmente es de las mejores escritoras inglesas que hay. Sus libros son inteligentes, divertidísimos y románticos. Estoy emocionadísima porque aún tengo dos libros más de ella por leer y ahora mismo es lo que más me anima tras la sensación de vacío que se me ha quedado al despedirme de Edie, Elliot y cia.
Profile Image for Sam (AMNReader).
1,225 reviews261 followers
March 31, 2020
I was fully invested in Edie's life. This one wasn't as lol funny, but I did adore her friends again, although the mean girl/bullying not was less than convincing in some ways, right on in others.

Anyway. Love her writing and being in on the heroine's journeys.
Profile Image for Jennopenny.
997 reviews8 followers
April 11, 2016
One month this year, January 2016, I read two of the three novels that McFarlane has published. "It's not me, it's you" and "Here's looking at you". Both of those novels I really enjoyed. They where cute and at the same time felt real. I could relate so much to the main character in "Here's looking at you" about dating and narrating your dates and futures.
The novels where both surprising and suspenseful even. They took turns I didn't expect and made me laugh and feel happy.

I found out that "Who's That Girl?" was coming out this year and as I'm not the one for waiting, I requested a proof from the publisher. Which I got and I started reading as soon as it arrived.

Edie, our main character, attends the wedding of two colleagues. After the ceremony the groom finds Edie and kisses her.
This after just been married to another woman for mare minutes. The bride sees this.
Action - DRAMA!

Edie can't or doesn't really want to go to work because the bride has spread rumors and lies about her and has all the other colleagues are on her side.
Edie gets sent to her hometown, Nottingham, to be the ghost writer of the famous actor Elliot Owen's autobiography. There are hate groups about Edie and she has a really hard time. Does the groom Jack also have a hard time? No... *sigh*
That's pretty much the premise and more I'm not giving away, because I will not spoil. Specially since this book just came out.

I'll write this though:
There's a lot of self doubt, drama and family problems. It's pretty low on the romance compared to the other McFarlane novels I've read. And also on the cute scale, it doesn't get many points.
In McFarlane's other novels I have laughed out loud at times and just awww:ed to myself because of what was happening.
In this novel it wasn't like that, I afraid.

There are two main problems with this novel for me. There is a minor one and a bigger one.
The minor one that still bugged me is that Edies sister is vegan. I was so happy when I first read this, there aren't many vegans in popular fiction. I was all good with McFarlane making fun about vegans, that was what I expected but the way she did it was so wrong.
It's fine to make fun about the food vegans eat and that vegans are angry, but the character (I'm blanking on the characters name) is such a stereotype in the worst kind of way.

The bigger one is that the groom Jack, who kissed her on his wedding suffer very few consequences while Edie can't show her face at work without feeling the hate of her colleagues. Edie also has a crush or is in love with this man who is making her life hell because they where kind of flirting before. Why? No, I don't get it.
He keeps contacting her through out the novel and it made me so mad. At both characters. Specially there at the end. You know what I mean if you read the book.

I did laugh and I enjoyed it. I felt it to be more predictable than her other novels, even though the end took me by surprise. It's a big book, over 500 pages, but it feels like all the McFarlane plot line that I have liked in her other novels doesn't come into play until like halfway through the novel.
And it isn't as cute and romantic as her other novels, which I kind of expected to and wanted when I picked up this book.

Anyway, if you read and liked other McFarlane novels, you'll probably like this one too.
If you haven't read McFarlane before, I suggest you start with any one of her other novels because they are, in my opinion better than this one.
It's a fine novel but just not her best.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,180 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.