Start by marking “The Care and Feeding of an Independent Bookstore: Three Instructive Essays” as Want to Read:
The Care and Feeding of an Independent Bookstore: Three Instructive Essays

The Care and Feeding of an Independent Bookstore: Three Instructive Essays

Published for Independent Bookstore Day 2016, this pamphlet contains The Bookstore Strikes Back, originally published in Atlantic Monthly.
Published April 30th 2016 by California Bookstore Day

To ask other readers questions about The Care and Feeding of an Independent Bookstore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Care and Feeding of an Independent Bookstore

Lynne
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Patchett's preaching to the choir, of course, seeing as I read this book on the train ride between two independent bookstores on Independent Bookstore Day 2016, but delightful and hilarious foibles that put Nashville's Parnassus Books on the map for me to visit someday.
Joshua Arnett
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thought about deducting a star for her advocating having bookstores dogs. Bookstore cats, Ann. Dogs are bunk.
Whitney
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All this did was feed the fire of my desire to own my own bookstore. And added dogs to the list of mandatory features.
Chris Wolak
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this pamphlet back in 2016 at the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester, VT and read it before bed last night. It’s a beautiful nonfiction bedtime story for adult bookworms that’ll give you sweet dreams. 😉 Update: wrote a blog post about it https://wildmoobooks.com/2018/10/14/t...

Karen
A staple-bound pamphlet about how Patchett got involved in creating and rearing an independent bookstore (Parnassus Books in Nashville, TN.) A sweet, heartwarming aside for anyone who loves books and book culture. Also, Patchett reassures us that indie bookstores are not dead, and that they're not even unprofitable. (Possibly this is less easy to ensure if you're not already a nationally-famed and -acclaimed author/owner?)

I've never been to Nashville and I'm unlikely to go, but if I do, I know
Meli
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Makes me miss my bookstore days.
Katrina
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: essays, nonfiction, signed
I find myself wanting to pace around and argue about this book (more of a pamphlet, really), which may mean it was successful. Ann Patchett is an excellent writer whose fiction I've been meaning to read for years, and I don't think reading these essays has changed my desire to do so. It came close, though, in the initial essay's sheer self-aggrandizement. Ann Patchett considers herself "the spokesperson for independent bookstores," which is a worthy role, and one I applaud. However, she also see ...more
Joseph McGarry
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I picked this book up at Scout & Morgan Books in Cambridge, MN, as part of Independent Bookstore Day. It's a short book but a good one. In this age of Amazon and Barnes & Noble, independent bookstores still thrive. Why is that?

The author, Ann Pratchett, owns Parnassus Books in Nashville. It consists of three essays about her experience. When the last independent bookstore, as well as Borders, in Nashville closed, she was approached about starting a new one. She was originally cool to th
Amy
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
"All things happen in a cycle, I explained--the little bookstore had succeeded and grown into a bigger bookstore. Seeing the potential for profit, the superstore chains rose up and crushed the independents, then Amazon rose up and crushed the superstore chains. Now that we could order any book at any hour without having to leave the screen in front of us, we realized what we had lost: the community center, the human interaction, the recommendation of a smart reader rather than a computer algorit ...more
Allan
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
What a delightful read, and for $6 , my copy from Cellar Door in Riverside . It's very short most will likely read it in a afternoon . But what an enjoyable and awesome celebration of books and bookstore and book selling . I found one point curious , the store that was bought by the Ohio book chain and moved to a mall is lamented , and so is the Borders that was in a mall (presuming ). But the other mall stores in Nashville B&N and Books A Million are characterized as those ' evil mall chain ...more
Sara
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adding this "book" to goodreads is basically cheating since it's only 2 essays (and I'm pretty sure I read one of them before) and a list of books Ann recommends. Plus it's like 30 something pages. I don't care. Ann Patchett's my fave and I work at an independent bookstore. Also, I'm from Nashville and worked at the Borders she mentions in the first essay. So obviously this lil' pamphlet book was made for me.

Love you, Ann Patchett. Come hang out in SF.
Karen
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Was this tiny book really worth $6? It depends. It's very short, and one "essay" is just a list of recommended books. But it's really the heart and spirit of Independent bookstores that counts. This book is heartwarming on a book nerd/community level. We love independent bookstores and they love us just as much! Super short but fun and funny. Over 50 books just got added to my TBR...
David Edmonds
Three of Ann Patchett's previously published essays on how she became a bookstore owner and what she learned in the process of opening an independent bookstore.

The first of an annual series of $6 Stories Pamphlets to be published in celebration of Independent Bookstore Day.
Earl
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a bookseller, I've been mildly obsessed with Ann Patchett recently. I love her writer turned bookstore owner/ bookseller story and everything she's been doing to promote not only her store but all independent bookstores. This was an exclusive release for Independent Bookstore Day.
Arianna
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want to open a bookstore. Or work in one. Or co-own one. Or work in and co-own one.
Pamela
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I agree.
Jessica
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This little book only made me fall deeper in love with the idea of opening a bookstore one day. And with dogs!

I am so glad I went back inside Horton's to buy it before we left Carrollton, GA.
Drew
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
deeeeelightful. and now I want to own a bookstore.

More tk
Trish Bachman
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These short essays are an enjoyable glimpse into Ann Patchett's experience as the owner of an independent book store. Love her style of writing!
Mary
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book. You can tell Patchett is very passionate about bookstores.
Rae
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two essays tell how and why Patchett got into the independent bookstore business. Includes a list of recommended titles. Delightful. And short.
Autumn
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want one even more now.
Jade Walker
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've always dreamed of owning a bookstore. This little book -- purchased on Independent Bookstore Day -- gives me hope.
Abby
Apr 30, 2016
Shirma
May 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Patchett was born in Los Angeles, California. Her mother is the novelist Jeanne Ray.

She moved to Nashville, Tennessee when she was six, where she continues to live. Patchett said she loves her home in Nashville with her doctor husband and dog. If asked if she could go any place, that place would always be home. "Home is ...the stable window that opens out into the imagination."

Patchett attended hi