Start by marking “Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)” as Want to Read:
Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)

Beyond Suspicion

(Jack Swyteck #2)

For smart, tough Miami criminal lawyer Jack Swyteck, it was a golden opportunity to help out his beautiful ex-girlfriend Jessie Merrill, who sold her life insurance for a cash payment when she wrongly believed she was dying. Now, thanks to Jack's courtroom prowess, Jessie can keep the $1.5 million she received. But it turns out that Swyteck and the insurance company are bo ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published June 24th 2003 by Harper (first published August 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Suspicion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Suspicion

Lynley
Nov 03, 2012 marked it as couldn-t-finish
Beyond Bad

I read up to page 123, then decided life is too short.
I wonder if the ending does indeed redeem itself, but then I figured it can’t possibly.

This is yet another story about a beautiful young woman found dead in a man’s bathtub. I think the world already has enough of those stories, so it has to say something pretty darned special for me to persevere.

This is a story for the Manly Man.

A few quotes will serve as vehicles for my editorial inserts:
“…he gathered one more eyeful of the woman
Mary
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jenna
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This is a case of a series where each book gets better. I listened to the first one & thought it was ok.
I listened to the 3rd book which I really liked.
This is the 2nd Swyteck book. It was a good bridge b/w those 2 books.

The tension isn’t as intense as previously. The mystery takes a little while to get started as the “dead body” doesn’t show up until about 1/3 of the way in.
And not a lot of courtroom drama either.

But it still kept my interest and I gave it a little extra .8 star b/
woody
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just alright for me. Second book in the Jack Swytech lawyer series. A lot was going on in this book with lots of characters. Viatical insurance, blood harvesting, organized crime, money laundering, murder for hire and recurring dreams about child abuse. Jack starts out the book defending Jessie a former girlfriend on a viatical insurance fraud case. His wife, Cindy, seems fine with him doing this, but is she? When Jessie ends up dead in their bathtub, Cindy begins to think that Jack and Jessie w ...more
Sumiya
Dec 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book was advertised at "John Grisham meets Robert Ludlum" - I've not read the 'bourne identity' series but enjoyed the movie since I really like action/thrillers. This was supposed to be the perfect book per the marketing efforts. No such luck. James Grippando writes nothing like John Grisham. There goes my attempt at filling empty space between John's books. I hope John continues to write and entertain those thirsty for his written pleasures.
Nancy
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Nice twist in the end, but too many characters and plot twists. I haven't read Jack Swyteck #1 so I didn't know his writing style.
Lisa
Jan 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2007
A pretty gripping read. I finished it in a few hours and I felt like I had just watched a standard 90-minute thriller movie. I'm not sure that this warrants a second read.
Maddie
May 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
This story has enough twists and plots but it did not hold my interest. I gave up at about page 200, no longer caring to know the facts, the ending.....etc.
Jami
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
The plot was well laid out, however, I just wasn't very interested in the characters. They didn't develop very well in my opinion.
Phillip III
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly enjoying the Jack Swyteck series. While these are classified as Legal Thrillers, this second book was pretty much a straight thriller. I don't mind.

With the Russian Mob, and AIDS, and stealing blood --we've got ourselves a clever plot that involves scams, money laundering and murder.

Once again Defense Attorney, Jack Swyteck, finds himself at the center of a murder investigation and is targeted as the prime suspect. After defending an ex-girlfriend during a legal battle where she cashed in
Joan
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inky
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this off my dad's bookshelf one morning to read while I ate breakfast and was had finished it by the end of the day. I suppose that alone says something about the engagement factor of this book.
This book is an excellent crime, thriller, mystery story. It did not waste any words on meaningless descriptions or side-stories, everything was written to serve the plot. I have to say, the plot was fantastic, with many twists, turns, nooks and crannies. It kept me craving for more, pining for t
tiasreads
Oct 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
No. Way overboard. Having your MC accused of murdering a client in one book- sure. Having your MC accused of murdering a client in the very next book- way overboard. By then adding (view spoiler), Grippando committed an unspeakable act of book-murder. I'm glad I've read a later book in the series to know that it gets better; based on this book alone, I would never pick up ...more
Jennifer Brown
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: with-shawn
I listened to this one in the truck with my husband. It was enough that it kept our interest but I still felt like there could have been more. Jessie was all over the place with the blackmail, then needing help, then getting pissed when he wouldn't help. And maybe they explain that with her sickness but it still wasn't believable for me. I think the ending was the best part of the book because I didnt see it coming.
Karen Sweiger-Veil
Gripping Whodunit

Loved the plot twists and turns. Truly fascinating that several key players were confused as to who killed Jack's ex-girlfriend. I was partner to the confusion as I followed the read - flipping from one character to the other.
Written at a comfortable place, the reader journeys through character "mini - stories" that provide a deeper understanding of the main character's role in this riveting murder mystery. Well written and highly recommended.
Matthew Juhl
Individually this book is probably a 3-3.5 star book. It has potential but has way too many sub-storylines to really deliver in the end. I gave the book 2 stars because if you are reading the Swyteck series this books storyline has way too many similarities in storyline to the Pardon and is way too outlandish to really be enjoyable. The Pardon was outlandish but it could be somewhat believed. This book was Fast and Furious events believable.
James
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one quite as much as its predecessor, The Pardon. In the middle, the story becomes a little convoluted and perhaps overly complex. There are Russian thugs, a sting, a friend whom Jack has saved from death row, and Cindy's nightmares that compete with the main story line- Jack's being framed for involvement in a scam perpetrated by an ex-girlfriend. Like other Grippando stories, however, the ending is superb and more than compensates for the story's competing themes.
Linda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books-read
This is the second in the Jack Swyteck series, and I was disappointed. Book 1, The Pardon, was fast paced with a story that kept you reading until the end. This second book had too many characters, too many sub-plots, and, it was all just too much. This time Jack is accused of the death of his former girlfriend/client, who he believes scammed him, as well as an insurance company. But there were really too many suspects, and the ending was flat.
Barbara Comiskey
Swyteck oops

While not as good as book 1, the end result work out ok. The author needed to develop Katrinas past life in more depth. The character of Jessie was strong but out somewhat discordant. Love Theo and hope for more of his character. A book 3 hopefully pulls together the depth of these characters.
Jim
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Damn, he writes a great thriller. Just when I thought I knew what was happening, another twist. Grippando has me hooked. You may not have to read them in order, but it seems you'll benefit of you do. Characters evolved in just the first two, so I'm sure there is more to come.
If you like Grisham and Turow and Paretski et al, you have to read Grippando.
Ken Baxter
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Characters working through problems while thrown together in a plot twist that provides plenty of twists and turns. Jack and his buddy are the good guys but they have to work ever do hard to come out. And a little luck doesn't hurt either.
Monty
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book overall. But sorry Jack. You are a bit dim for my liking. So people might find the flaws interesting. I just find them annoying.
Katrina
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Read it! 5 + stars!
Anita Young
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
another great jack swyteck novel!
Gayle
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Better than the first in this series. Will keep reading more.
Randa Mcnair
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has similar plot to a Robin Cook novel. This premise about selling a life insurance policy is apparently a thing. Who knew?
Jeff Kaufman
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent writer and good character development. Very good for the genre
Michael
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Fairly typical but not a bad read. would read more of these. Jack Swytec the lawyer is a reasonable character.
Davehbo
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grippando is a nice breezy read when I don't want to think too hard, but still be entertained. He never insults my intelligence, and I learn something while I'm at it.
Barbara Liedtke
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
A rather complicated thriller; several sub-plots which are all tied up neatly at the end. I hope to read more of his books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• You Only Die Twice
  • The Prosecution
  • Act of Revenge (Butch Karp, #11)
  • Kick Back (Kate Brannigan, #2)
  • The Simeon Chamber
  • Suspicious Origin
  • Ninth Directive
  • Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • Life Sentence
  • The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)
  • Everglades Assault
  • Death Qualified (Barbara Holloway #1)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the 2017 winner of the Harper Lee Prize for legal fiction and a New York Times bestselling author of 27 novels of suspense, including the popular series featur ...more

Jack Swyteck (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)
  • When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6)
  • Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)
  • Born to Run (Jack Swyteck, #8)
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Blood Money (Jack Swyteck, #10)
  • Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)