Start by marking “A King's Ransom” as Want to Read:
A King's Ransom

A King's Ransom

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  854 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The author of five bestselling novels, including Under Cover of Darkness and The Pardon, James Grippando writes compulsively readable thrillers that could be drawn from today's headlines, only better. Now his trademark gifts are wonderfully demonstrated in a taut new tale of intrigue that will keep you guessing to the final, breathtaking scene.

Just two years out of law sch
Published October 1st 2002 by Avon (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A King's Ransom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A King's Ransom

Kevin Bachovchin
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is about Nick Rey's father Matthew being kidnapped in Colombia. This book describes the relationship between the father and the son, Matthew's desperate attempts to save his father, and the struggles of Matthew and the other people who were kidnapped. I really got into the book, cared very much about the characters, and felt outraged at times, which is the sign of a good book. James Grippando is a very versatile author, able to write well about many different subjects. I actually read ...more
Robin
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
a fast paced novel about a kidnapping in Columbia. interesting and believable
William
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Audio book narrated by George Guidel
Solid entertainment and a glimpse into South American kidnapping
As far being a mystery or thriller, I give it a "D" because I could just about see everything ahead of time. I would love to play poker with the author (just kidding, but do you get my point?)
The writing style seemed good so I'll try another Grippando
Searight
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Probably a 2 1/2 star book. The hostage scenes were really well done but there was a lot of filler. And there was a story line that went nowhere, I don't know why it was even in the book. Plus lots of driving around which is not very exciting to read.
Tal
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book definitely fell short of a 4 a A LOT! The overall theme, settings, and pace saved the book,
Christy Tiffin
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Why do I read this guy???......all I every give him is a 2!
Deb
matthew ray is working on his fishing boats in columbia when they are suddenly attacked by thugs with automatic weapons. despite killing one of them, matthew is taken captive--one of the many people who are abducted for ransom in columbia. his son, lawyer nick ray, is shocked and angered by his father's abduction, espcially when both the fbi and the insurance company he had kidnap and ransom insurance with refuse to help him. they accuse nick's father of drug smuggling, insurance fraud, and cons ...more
Deb
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, thriller
Matthew Ray is working on his fishing boats in Columbia when they are suddenly attacked by thugs with automatic weapons. Despite killing one of them, Matthew is taken captive--one of the many people who are abducted for ransom in Columbia. His son, lawyer Nick Ray, is shocked and angered by his father's abduction, espcially when both the FBI and the insurance company he had kidnap and ransom insurance with refuse to help him. They accuse Nick's father of drug smuggling, insurance fraud, and cons ...more
Lara
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Fundamentally I like this book. There were just a couple of things that did not work for me. For example...I don't know any 25 - 26 year old man who's first reaction to finding out his MOTHER is pregnant is...well, I guess you did have me at 18! WHAT?! No freak out...no "oh my" my parent still have sex?! That did not work for me. As the story moved on I understood why she was pregnant and how it really added to the conflict and motivation in the story. But....his reaction was all wrong. It took ...more
Kelly
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The story was completely captivating from the very beginning. I stayed up until 4 AM one night because I just had to know what happened. My sleep is very valuable with two young children so the book definitely deserves 5 stars if I lose sleep over it.

I loved the touch of "lawyer" mixed with adventure and love story! It was perfect. I sometimes don't really like lawyer books because it gets to mundane. This book was a perfect mix.

I loved how the author bounced back and forth b
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Nick Rey is climbing the ladder at a huge law firm in Miami. His Dad is a partner in a small fishing company. They aren't close. And then his Dad is kidnapped on a trip to Columbia and everything changes. This is one of the best books I've read in a while. The author swaps chapters reporting from the son's voice (in the 1st person) and the father's voice (in the third person) which not only makes it easy to read it adds a special creepiness that only enhances the story.
Daniel
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
An American business man is kidnapped in Columbia. The victim took out ransom insurance, but the kidnappers seem to know all the details of the policy. The victims son runs into problems when he goes to the insurance company and from there the story begins.

The son is a lawyer, none too bright, but he still takes on the insurance company, his employer and the FBI. Of course there's a girl, in fact a couple of them and this all makes for interesting reading.
Kim
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was really fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. It certainly made me reconsider any travel to Colombia. The book is about a man that is kidnapped by Colombian guerrillas and held for ransom. The book jumps back and forth between the kidnap victim and his family and they try to raise the money to secure his release. It is a fast, entertaining read and another hit by James Grippando.
Dale
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For what it is, it is a great thriller

Published 2002

Is this great literature?

Is it a great piece of escapism?

Absolutely yes.

Grippando is on my short list of authors to keep an eye out for. Almost always he delivers...

Read more at http://dwdsreviews.blogspot.com/2012/...
Evelyn
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When his father is kidnapped in Columbia, attorney Nick Rey collaborates with an insurance investigator since the company that holds the kidnap policy won't pay the $3,000,000 ransom.

Another fast-paced, solid, entertaining legal thriller. Interesting and believable characters. Has a realistic look at government bureaucracy. Highly recommend.
Ricardo
Aug 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. I read authors from sequentially, but with Grippando, I'm giving up after this one. Nothing improved, same old formula, and I particularly laugh when I read the praise from much better writers on the cover knowing that they get paid to say good things.
Joe
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
WOW!! a RACE against time Thriller...will have you FLIPPING the pages so fast...needing to know..who lives..what will happen and ....!!!

FBI, Kidnapping, South American drug trade and the love of a Father and son.
Deborah-anne
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an exciting read. It was written from two perspectives that of the captured man in the third person and in the first person by his son who sets out to pay the ransom and rescue him. This made it an it an exciting listen, especially with George Guidall reading.
Scott Bagley
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another strong book by James Grippando. The story is revealed to you from the point of view of someone who clearly does not know the entire story. Painful at times, but realistic for sure. Highly recommended!
Yvette Thomas
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good.. I could not put it down.
Mailmanr5
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
A terrific thriller. I saw the twist coming but not the way it happened.
Ropajo
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
4/24/10
4/27/10
sima
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting story - esp for lawyers! Quick read that is easy to get into.
Betty
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book but at times I felt it was dragging on but still an excellent read
Carol Bell
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like all of his books. This one does not disappoint you.
Carol
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real page burner, I counldn't put it down. Very suspenseful.
Becky
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well-written. It's the kind of thriller that keeps you guessing until the end.
Rebekkila
Jun 09, 2015 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Arlene
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book keeps you guessing to the very end. Great book !
Angi
Dec 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Did not even finish it.
  • A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13)
  • Hoax (Butch Karp, #16)
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • Foul Play at Four
  • Innocence (Scott Finn #2)
  • Eclipse
  • The Rules of Silence
  • High Crimes
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • The Last Good Day
  • Dying Declaration
  • Scott Free
  • Jericho's Fall
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels of suspense, including twelve in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck. ...more
More about James Grippando...

“The NRA was laying down its weapons. Yankee fans were rooting for the Boston Red Sox. The French were eating English food and loving it. Matthew was sure all those things were happening.... This was the proverbial cold day in hell, and Matthew was living it.” 3 likes