Start by marking “Vanished” as Want to Read:
Vanished

Vanished

Tragedy . . . heartache . . . how much more can Tyler Montgomery and John Webster take? This missions trip, the “healing” one, has only added fresh layers of pain. Construction of an orphanage in Haiti’s northwest . . . yes. But a doomed rescue operation, human traffickers, human anomalies, extreme personal danger . . . risk of death? They hadn’t signed up for any of those ...more
Published March 28th 2012 by Lulu Publishing Services

To ask other readers questions about Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanished

Start your review of Vanished
Erik McManus
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting. Every scene moved quickly but it kept the plot moving along and it made it so that the storyline never really had a dull pause. It’s funny because one of the main characters is named John Webster and I actually know a John Webster 😛

The book brings light to a huge issue. Human Trafficking. It is such a big problem in 3rd world countries and it’s brutal because a lot of the human trafficking is children that are stolen or kidnapped off the street and thrown into sla
Happy Booker
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vanished is a story about two people John and Tyler, trying to retrieve a little girl who has been stolen and sold by human traffickers. The couple goes through many obstacles in order to find the girl. The race is on when the time is precious and the life a little girl is involved which makes this story very interesting to read.

The literature was easy to understand, and the pace was fast. I found the subject matter to be susceptible for a reader that may not necessarily have the heart to read s
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A harrowing tale of love, loss, and redemption. Walk with Mark as he takes you on a twisting ride deep into the depths of humanity's depravity. This is not a light read, nor is it meant for those who wish to stay ignorant of the way things truly are in this world. A beacon of hope in all too often tragic world, 'Vanished' isn't afraid to tackle what many in more privileged countries consider taboo, even today.
Jessica
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got this book free from Goodreads giveaway. It is not the type of book I normally read, but I love how it captures your attention as soon as you open the book and you are transported to another part of the world. This is a hard to put down page-turner, so get ready for an emotional journey!
Wendi Bierman
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed reading this very well written book. The author has a unique ability to describe events wth imaginative yet concise terminology that makes a scene come alive. The story is an exciting and fast moving one, which very much holds the reader in suspense.
Angela
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. The book held my attention through out. At some points in the book I felt as if I was there. I would highly recommend this book if you like suspense. Well done Mark!!!!
Sally Cronin
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a challenging read, not because of how it is written, but the subject matter. We tend to picture islands in the Caribbean as having sun swept sandy beaches, luxury accommodation and smiling faces of the inhabitants, happy to see tourists pouring into their paradise. However Haiti has had centuries of political, economic and social unrest and suffered devastating natural disasters. Following one such event, the earthquake in 2010, thousands of men, women and children were killed and ...more
Mae Clair
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although this is a work of fiction, it’s tragic to know the book is grounded in reality. Tyler and John take a mission trip to Haiti. Tyler is grieving the loss of his wife to cancer—who was John’s daughter. Son-in-law and father-in-law have a strong relationship, readily apparent from the start. No sooner do we meet them, however, than a child goes missing, abducted by slave traders. Many of the locals are ready to write the little girl off as lost, as child abductions are commonplace. Tyler ta ...more
S. Burke
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My REVIEW: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 A Riveting insightful and moving reading experience.

Many authors shy away from the dark side of human behavior. Author Mark Bierman tackles it head-on. The breadth and depth of “Vanished” is astounding. The author's characterizations of the central protagonists bring them to life on the page. We as readers can see them, hear them and through the words of this writer we are granted an insight into both their dreams and their pain. Human trafficking will never be eradicated if we
Randall Krzak
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently read Vanished by Mark Bierman. This is a thought-provoking story which is very relevant given the global push to end modern-day slavery. It's easy to become immersed in the helpless situation of those finding themselves alone and subjected to all kinds of brutality. Mark's characters, John and Tyler, head to Haiti to assist with the construction of an orphanage but before long, find themselves involved in the hunt for a missing child, Chantale.

Mark has done an excellent job in creatin
scott howse
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found the author not only was a great story teller, but the entire book was thought provoking. The part of the book I loved the most, was the author's ability to develop his characters. I genuinely loathed the antagonist of this book, and that was dues to the author's ability to portray the character so well!! This book is not only a book that makes you think about society, but its action packed and kept me up past my bedtime because I literally couldn't put it down!! Can't wait for more mate ...more
Victorian Tea
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised with Vanished. It is not normally the type of book I read but I am very glad I decided to give it a try. It piqued my interest from the minute I started it and my interest only intensified with the start of each new chapter. As with any good book I couldn't wait to see how it ended but then was left reeling from the emotions that it invoked. Well done Mr. Bierman! (less)
Jamin Melanson
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mark does a a great job with the plot and characters in Vanished. The terrors of Human Trafficking is a real threat in this world, and he does a great job portraying this evil in the book. As well, he implements a solid story through the eyes of Tyler and John. There were times I felt like I was one of them as they worked to rescue the kids from the clutches of the slavery. If you enjoy modern fiction, pick up this book. You will not be disappointed.
Ronald E Yates
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
In my former life as a foreign correspondent, I wrote many stories about the disgusting business of child trafficking in places like Asia and Latin America. I never forgot those stories or the children I wrote about.
According to statistics from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, most of the 400,000 children who are subjected to this crime worldwide each year are between the ages of 11 and 14. In Mark Bierman’s novel, Vanished, a little girl named Chantale is only seven when she is ta
Roberta Cheadle
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about child trafficking, in this particular case, in Haiti, post the destructive earthquake of 2010. This topic is not a new one, but I thought the execution of this story was rather unique in its demonstration of the impact that child trafficking has on all the people involved, from the victims to their families, relationships between the abducted children, older people who have been in slavery most of their lives and external people who aim to rescue a particular child or childr ...more
Rox Burkey
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Author Mark Bierman crafts a fictional story focused on the horror of human trafficking of children. This is a relevant issue that occurs across the globe. Sadly, it helps illustrate greed, cruelty, exploitation, and corruption in an abhorrent way. Half the proceeds from sales of this book are donated to organizations that combat human trafficking.

Haiti, as a location, might have you romanticizing about the Caribbean islands, though it has a long history of violent crimes. The setting is excelle
Wanda Adams
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Remember when Haiti suffered from a devastating earthquake in 2010? The country still hasn't recovered from that tragedy. This novel begins by setting the scene for just how horrific the earthquake was, by describing the abject poverty of this country, in the form of the terrible conditions within a Haitian prison. The earthquake happens and some of the prisoners escape--into a country of chaos and deprivation, potentially worse than the prison they had lived in.

Enter two Americans, who decide
John Podlaski
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading "Vanished" by Mark Bierman, a story of love, hope, despair and redemption. Two Americans, John and Tyler come to Haiti to help missionaries hoping that the distraction will help them get on with their lives.; John's daughter, who was married to Tyler recently died of cancer and both are devastated.

When the seven-year-old daughter of their housekeeper is kidnapped and possibly sold into slavery, the two Americans vow to find her and bring her home. Since human traffic
D. Peach
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story kicks off the action on page one and doesn’t let up. In fact, when I was about ¾ of the way through, I needed to sit back, take a deep breath, and work the tension out of my shoulders. Bierman’s ability to write non-stop, intense, dangerous action is noteworthy. And though in many ways, I’d characterize the story as plot-driven, there’s some deep emotion when it’s called for.

And the story isn’t a picnic. Though the author maintains that it’s fictional, he also states that it centers o
Joy Lo-Bamijoko
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In the Afterword of this book the author stated that the story was purely a work of fiction. If that is true, then he has a very creative mind which I believe all writers should have. His story rang so true.

Human trafficking is real! Those who are victims of this atrocity are the weak, as Diego claims in the story. The weak and the vulnerable! Those who have no one to help them. And the world is silent on it!

In this story, two American welfare workers go to Haiti to help with the building of sch
Victoria Ray
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vanished is a tough book to read but at the same time an exciting story and important theme. The author, Mark Bierman, has done a great job of blending the hard facts of life in Haiti with fast thriller-alike actions and believable characters. The novel starts with a description of the earthquake in 2010 and continues with the arrival of Tyler, John, Samantha, and Peter in North West Haiti, where a child/girl is vanishing from the local Rescue Mission.
As I read the book about hard (often depres
Jan Sikes
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written book that, even though it is fiction, gives a bird's eye view into the horrors of human trafficking and child slavery. The story is set in Haiti and Dominican. Two American men, Tyler and John, take an opportunity to go on a mission trip to Haiti. Each are looking for an escape from their fresh and raw grief. Tyler, having lost his wife, Joy, to cancer, and John, who was Joy's father, need to find some closure to their loss. What better way than to help with a mission ...more
Balroop Singh
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vanished by Mark Bierman promises to be an action-packed drama right from the first chapter and it adheres to that technique till the end. It brings out the heartbreaking realities of human apathy and cruelty toward their own people. Dwelling on miniscule details of each scene, the story of this book moves slowly, as it thrives on incidents, each one dramatically presented to produce the effect. Most of the characters take a back seat and watch the action.

The plot thickens as Mark drags you alon
Pete Springer
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
John and Tyler travel to Haiti from America to volunteer at a Haitian mission. They think they re going to help build an orphanage, but they quickly become embroiled in more sinister matters. A young girl, Chantale, is kidnapped from the local village, and the two Americans try to rescue her. The naive Americans quickly find out that they are in over their heads. Chantale is taken not for ransom, but into the seedy world of human trafficking.

The protagonists travel to a mine on the other side of
D.L. Finn
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew the topic going into reading this fictional book: child trafficking. Mr. Bierman shows the reader the process, including how children are kidnapped from their families--or the worst when their families sell them into slavery. The poverty and greed that uses children…I have a hard time absorbing that and worried this would be a hard read for me, but it wasn’t. The storyline centers on two American men doing missionary work in Haiti. A young girl is kidnapped, and they start on a journey to ...more
D.E.
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After a shared loss Tyler and John decide to get away for a while and go to Haiti to help the construction of an orphanage. What they didn't expect while they were there was for a small child to be abducted, they certainly didn't expect for no one, not even the authorities, to have any intention of doing anything about it.

Unable to accept the situation Tyler and John decide to do all they can to track the girl down and bring her home. They had no idea what they were getting into as they came fac
Patricia Furstenberg
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bierman’s novel Vanished reminded me of James Clavell’s King Rat. Much like Clavell, Bierman reels in the reader from the first chapter. The book blends the reality of everyday life in Haiti with the race of finding a missing child believed to be abducted by slave traders.
Bierman will not allow you to shield your eyes from the reality of human trafficking. What he does wonderfully and makes this book worth a read is getting the reader to root for the two main characters, as well as for those op
Karen Ingalls
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subject of human trafficking is a painful subject to read about, but it is something that we all need to be aware of in hopes of bringing an end to this horrible part of most societies. Mr. Bierman does an excellent job bringing the subject to the forefront through a fictional story. The actions of two Americans in a foreign country to bring one little girl safely back home is the storyline.
I had to give it 4 stars because there was too much detailed description of their hunt through the for
Joshua Grant
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mark Bierman does a fantastic job holding your attention all throughout his thrilling novel Vanished. Set in real events, Vanished begins with a prison break during the 2010 Haitian earthquake and never lets up from there. Bierman’s characters are realistic and likeable and the plot always has an interesting twist to bear. A wonderful thrill ride, especially for any world travelers out there!
Dustin Crozier
Jan 04, 2017
Making Connections: 4467. VANISHED by Mark Bierman 11 35 Aug 15, 2016 12:43AM

• Through the Nethergate
  • Finding Billy Battles
  • While the Bombs Fell
  • Red Eyes in the Darkness: A Short Story
  • The One Discovered (Chronicles of the Diasodz #1)
  • Eternal Road: The final stop
  • I Wouldn't Be Surprised: A Short Story
  • The Hanged Man: A Digby Rolf Mystery
  • Tails (Silver Wishes #1)
  • Stardust
  • Jewel
  • THE DAY THE LIGHTS WENT OUT ... on Education (The COVID19 'LIGHTS OUT' Series Book 1)
  • Grinders
  • Pregnant Future: No One Knows What Tomorrow Will Bring
  • Brother's Keeper
  • OPEN, SHUT: A Short Story
  • NO PEDIGREE: A Really Short Story
Born and raised on a farm near Brockville, Ontario, Mark Bierman's childhood consisted of chores, riding horses, snowmobile races across open fields, fishing trips to a local lake, and many other outdoor adventures. He was also an avid reader of both fiction and non.

Transitioning towards adulthood also meant moving from the farm and into large urban areas that introduced this "country boy" to life

News & Interviews