Start by marking “Vanished” as Want to Read:
Vanished

Vanished

Tragedy . . . heartache . . . how much more can Tyler Montgomery and John Webster take? This missions trip, the “healing” one, has only added fresh layers of pain. Construction of an orphanage in Haiti’s northwest . . . yes. But a doomed rescue operation, human traffickers, human anomalies, extreme personal danger . . . risk of death? They hadn’t signed up for any of those ...more
Published March 28th 2012 by Lulu Publishing Services

To ask other readers questions about Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanished

Start your review of Vanished
Erik McManus
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting. Every scene moved quickly but it kept the plot moving along and it made it so that the storyline never really had a dull pause. It’s funny because one of the main characters is named John Webster and I actually know a John Webster 😛

The book brings light to a huge issue. Human Trafficking. It is such a big problem in 3rd world countries and it’s brutal because a lot of the human trafficking is children that are stolen or kidnapped off the street and thr
Happy Booker
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vanished is a story about two people John and Tyler, trying to retrieve a little girl who has been stolen and sold by human traffickers. The couple goes through many obstacles in order to find the girl. The race is on when the time is precious and the life a little girl is involved which makes this story very interesting to read.

The literature was easy to understand, and the pace was fast. I found the subject matter to be susceptible for a reader that may not necessarily have t
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A harrowing tale of love, loss, and redemption. Walk with Mark as he takes you on a twisting ride deep into the depths of humanity's depravity. This is not a light read, nor is it meant for those who wish to stay ignorant of the way things truly are in this world. A beacon of hope in all too often tragic world, 'Vanished' isn't afraid to tackle what many in more privileged countries consider taboo, even today.
Jessica
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got this book free from Goodreads giveaway. It is not the type of book I normally read, but I love how it captures your attention as soon as you open the book and you are transported to another part of the world. This is a hard to put down page-turner, so get ready for an emotional journey!
Wendi Bierman
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed reading this very well written book. The author has a unique ability to describe events wth imaginative yet concise terminology that makes a scene come alive. The story is an exciting and fast moving one, which very much holds the reader in suspense.
Angela
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. The book held my attention through out. At some points in the book I felt as if I was there. I would highly recommend this book if you like suspense. Well done Mark!!!!
S. Burke
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My REVIEW: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 A Riveting insightful and moving reading experience.

Many authors shy away from the dark side of human behavior. Author Mark Bierman tackles it head-on. The breadth and depth of “Vanished” is astounding. The author's characterizations of the central protagonists bring them to life on the page. We as readers can see them, hear them and through the words of this writer we are granted an insight into both their dreams and their pain. Human trafficking will never be eradi
Randall Krzak
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently read Vanished by Mark Bierman. This is a thought-provoking story which is very relevant given the global push to end modern-day slavery. It's easy to become immersed in the helpless situation of those finding themselves alone and subjected to all kinds of brutality. Mark's characters, John and Tyler, head to Haiti to assist with the construction of an orphanage but before long, find themselves involved in the hunt for a missing child, Chantale.

Mark has done an excellent jo
scott howse
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found the author not only was a great story teller, but the entire book was thought provoking. The part of the book I loved the most, was the author's ability to develop his characters. I genuinely loathed the antagonist of this book, and that was dues to the author's ability to portray the character so well!! This book is not only a book that makes you think about society, but its action packed and kept me up past my bedtime because I literally couldn't put it down!! Can't wait for more mate ...more
Victorian Tea
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised with Vanished. It is not normally the type of book I read but I am very glad I decided to give it a try. It piqued my interest from the minute I started it and my interest only intensified with the start of each new chapter. As with any good book I couldn't wait to see how it ended but then was left reeling from the emotions that it invoked. Well done Mr. Bierman! (less)
Jamin Melanson
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mark does a a great job with the plot and characters in Vanished. The terrors of Human Trafficking is a real threat in this world, and he does a great job portraying this evil in the book. As well, he implements a solid story through the eyes of Tyler and John. There were times I felt like I was one of them as they worked to rescue the kids from the clutches of the slavery. If you enjoy modern fiction, pick up this book. You will not be disappointed.
Ronald E Yates
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
In my former life as a foreign correspondent, I wrote many stories about the disgusting business of child trafficking in places like Asia and Latin America. I never forgot those stories or the children I wrote about.
According to statistics from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, most of the 400,000 children who are subjected to this crime worldwide each year are between the ages of 11 and 14. In Mark Bierman’s novel, Vanished, a little girl named Chantale is only seven when she is ta
Joy Lo-Bamijoko
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In the Afterword of this book the author stated that the story was purely a work of fiction. If that is true, then he has a very creative mind which I believe all writers should have. His story rang so true.

Human trafficking is real! Those who are victims of this atrocity are the weak, as Diego claims in the story. The weak and the vulnerable! Those who have no one to help them. And the world is silent on it!

In this story, two American welfare workers go to Haiti to help
Jan Sikes
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written book that, even though it is fiction, gives a bird's eye view into the horrors of human trafficking and child slavery. The story is set in Haiti and Dominican. Two American men, Tyler and John, take an opportunity to go on a mission trip to Haiti. Each are looking for an escape from their fresh and raw grief. Tyler, having lost his wife, Joy, to cancer, and John, who was Joy's father, need to find some closure to their loss. What better way than to help with a mission ...more
Balroop Singh
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vanished by Mark Bierman promises to be an action-packed drama right from the first chapter and it adheres to that technique till the end. It brings out the heartbreaking realities of human apathy and cruelty toward their own people. Dwelling on miniscule details of each scene, the story of this book moves slowly, as it thrives on incidents, each one dramatically presented to produce the effect. Most of the characters take a back seat and watch the action.

The plot thickens as Mark dr
D.L. Finn
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew the topic going into reading this fictional book: child trafficking. Mr. Bierman shows the reader the process, including how children are kidnapped from their families--or the worst when their families sell them into slavery. The poverty and greed that uses children…I have a hard time absorbing that and worried this would be a hard read for me, but it wasn’t. The storyline centers on two American men doing missionary work in Haiti. A young girl is kidnapped, and they start on a journey to ...more
D.E.
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After a shared loss Tyler and John decide to get away for a while and go to Haiti to help the construction of an orphanage. What they didn't expect while they were there was for a small child to be abducted, they certainly didn't expect for no one, not even the authorities, to have any intention of doing anything about it.

Unable to accept the situation Tyler and John decide to do all they can to track the girl down and bring her home. They had no idea what they were getting into as t
Karen Ingalls
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subject of human trafficking is a painful subject to read about, but it is something that we all need to be aware of in hopes of bringing an end to this horrible part of most societies. Mr. Bierman does an excellent job bringing the subject to the forefront through a fictional story. The actions of two Americans in a foreign country to bring one little girl safely back home is the storyline.
I had to give it 4 stars because there was too much detailed description of their hunt through t
Joshua Grant
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mark Bierman does a fantastic job holding your attention all throughout his thrilling novel Vanished. Set in real events, Vanished begins with a prison break during the 2010 Haitian earthquake and never lets up from there. Bierman’s characters are realistic and likeable and the plot always has an interesting twist to bear. A wonderful thrill ride, especially for any world travelers out there!
Dustin Crozier
Jan 04, 2017
Emily
rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2017
Brenda Lortie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book by this new writer! It definitely does not read as a first novel. Well composed and engaging. The material covered in this book is not light. However, the writer introduces it to us in a manner that is palatable yet provoking. Thank you for enlightening us on a topic that many are either unaware or in denial of. Along with clearly researched facts, the author has created a very strong plot line with deep character profiles to keep his readers engrossed. Even the ending was unique and ...more
Rita Beerda

• Finding Billy Battles
  • Megamax
  • The Reclusive Writer & Reader of Bandra: Essays
  • Caste Metal: Short Story
  • Vasilisa the Terrible: A Baba Yaga Story (Midnight Myths and Fairy Tales, #1)
  • The Choice: the unexpected heroes
  • WATCH "RWISA" WRITE Anthology, Vol 1
  • Initiation (A Harem Boy's Saga, #1)
  • Zach's Gold (The Jeb & Zach Series Book 2)
  • Whatever It Takes
  • Into Summer: Dawn of a New Age (Four Seasons Series Book 4)
  • Into Winter (Four Seasons Series #3)
  • Micro Fiction - An Anthology
  • Voodoo or Destiny: You Decide
  • Memoir of a Mad Woman
  • Slimmer: A Contemporary Romance
  • Visitors: Short Story Mystery
Born and raised on a farm near Brockville, Ontario, Mark Bierman's childhood consisted of chores, riding horses, snowmobile races across open fields, fishing trips to a local lake, and many other outdoor adventures. He was also an avid reader of both fiction and non.

Transitioning towards adulthood also meant moving from the farm and into large urban areas that introduced this "country