Start by marking “Futuristica, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Futuristica, Volume 1

Futuristica, Volume 1

(Futuristica #1)

What does the future hold for us? This anthology of nineteen diverse stories from authors around the world shows us a future full of adventure, intrigue, fun, heart-ache, and wonder.
A imprisoned space pirate from Phobos is given a last chance for freedom, but only if hes willing to kill his younger brother. Again.
In post-climate change Italy, a deaf African-American woman
Published June 1st 2016 by Metasagas Press

To ask other readers questions about Futuristica, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Futuristica, Volume 1

Start your review of Futuristica, Volume 1
Mike
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthologies
Disclosure: I received an advance review copy from the publisher because I have a story in Volume 2.

These are some fine stories, and I'm honestly flattered to be in such good company. Although the authors are not yet well known, I have a feeling that many of them eventually will be.

This is just the kind of science fiction I like: fresh ideas interestingly and competently explored, in a way that leaves you both thought-provoked and emotionally moved (sometimes disturbed). A few are funny; a few
Wealhtheow
A collection of sf short stories ranging from good to not-so-much. My favorites of the book were by Stephanie Burgis and Ciro Faienza.

Sterile Technique by Megan Chaudhuri--Rubaiyat drops out of university to culture prion-free meat for rich people so she can pay for her sister's medical treatment. I really like the details of the future here.

Whole Lives in Hammer Fragments by James Beamon--Marcus Lyon was the best damn pilot the Hegemony had ever seen. And now they've offered him his freedom in
Stephanie
Jun 01, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hooray! My short story "Mums' Group" was just published in this anthology. It's set in Leeds, where I lived when my older son was born, and it's a near-future science fiction story about the social pressure mothers face to be PERFECT, no matter what...and about the way that the other women in our mums' groups get us through it! (With huge thanks to [a] my brother Dave, who asked me to stretch myself, do something different, and write him a near-future SF story as a Christmas gift; and [b] the ...more
Devo Cutler-Rubstein
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This compilation is really a very fascinating view of the future... written by smart people who seem, despite some dark circumstances that our planet is facing, find the threads of light. A stand out was E.E. King's look at love and light. Positive, uplifting and thought provoking. Thanks for putting this together. I am guessing they'll be more! Hope so.
D. Cutler-Rubenstein
Irena
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

This was an interesting collection for sure and a few stories were great. I really loved "End of my rope" and "Sterile Techique".
MJ
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well dang, a book where every story is a good one and seemed all to have been written for me: female friendly, culturally sensitive, men and women doing the right thing & the honorable thing in imaginations of the far future. Can't wait to get hold of the second one.

Website informative and lots of info on the authors, oh yes, authors I've never heard of but will now look for their work.
Rose
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

Really great collection of sci-fi stories. Lots of interesting concepts, varied tones, great characters. I loved almost every single story. I would definitely recommend this.
Esther
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of varied settings and visions of the future. My favourites were probably the Burgis and Yakusha stories. Lots of strong relational and emotional content through the stories.

Perfect for me

Enjoyable, worked for me
"Sterile Technique" by Megan Chaughuri - An Indian woman must use her skills to grow meat to save her sister from her mistakes.
"Whole Lives in Hammered Fragments" by James Beamon - A man gets one last chance in space but only because he is the only one who can hunt down his
E.J. Shumak
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. I rushed through it in an all-nighter.
I have worked with the editor, Chester Hoster, before and hope to in the future, though my work is not included in this collection. Many other fine authors have been selected by Mr. Hoster to superb result that should not be missed.
Futuristica is three hundred, thirty-one pages of exciting and challenging stories that manage to be fun to read, as well as stimulating and intriguing. This anthology is Science Fiction that, by its
Carrie Ives
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. The stories were all different and set both on distant future earth, not so distant future earth, and alien planets. Some of the stories really stuck with me with the issues they presented.
Wole Talabi
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
L. Davis
Apr 25, 2017
Mary Mascari
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jolin
Jun 14, 2016
Jerry
Jul 10, 2019
L. Chan
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kelly
May 13, 2017
Kim
Apr 22, 2018
Scott Haraburda
Apr 29, 2016
Nancy
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me