Start by marking “Blood Honor (The Day After Never, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Honor (The Day After Never, #1)

Blood Honor

(The Day After Never #1)

They said it could never happen - that the day would never come.

They were wrong.

Five years post-collapse, former Texas Ranger Lucas Shaw is surviving hardscrabble in a kill-or-be-killed wasteland. When an enigmatic young woman enters his life with a desperate plea, Lucas must face impossible odds and battle an adversary who will stop at nothing to destroy them.
Published April 18th 2016 by Reprobatio Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Blood Honor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Honor

Start your review of Blood Honor (The Day After Never, #1)
Tracy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Day After Never is a supreme beginning to this (Blood Honor) apocalyptic series. Usually, I am engrossed in the Zombie Apocalypse and was hesitant to give books focused on an apocalypse without them (my endeared, stinky flesh eating creepers) a try. Well, glad I got over that mindset because Russell Blake brings it! The main protagonist, Lucas, is like no other and I really like his attitude, soft spoken demeanor and the fact that his is also one tough hombre. His downplayed, dry humor is just ...more
Alicia Huxtable
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written

After most the world is killed in an extreme flu pandemic, the survivors and set themselves up in little towns, surviving anyway they can. Of course there's the usual gangs who will slaughter anyone who puts up a fight.
Enter a woman and her niece who the Cartel want back no matter the consequences and chaos ensures.
Well written with likeable characters
Jason Stanley
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book a while back and mostly forgot about it until it came up in a thriller compilation. Before going on about this particular book, let me say I generally like Russell Blake's books. I've read and enjoyed all of his Jet series.
So, why only two stars? Really two big reasons amidst several smaller issues. The biggest is the whole thing feels like a set up to get the reader to buy the next book - basically nothing in it satisfies. That brings the next big thing. The main character is
Darcy
I liked the note at the beginning that explained how the world fell, because as much as I like reading about the world after it went to hell I like knowing the how and why.

Sadly this book fell flat for me, not sure if I can pin point what didn't work for me, just that it didn't. Part of me liked Lucas, but another part of me didn't like how he held himself apart. Yes he helped people, but very reluctantly, which made it hard to root for him.

Not sure if I'll check out any other books in the
Cassie Cassidy
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, ku, 2019

After reading Blood Honor, you can tell that Russell Blake has done a tremendous amount of research before writing this book. Yes, a lot of the gun and ammo information was over my head (and I honestly didn't care about it), but seeing as those things were one of the main sources of trade in this world, it was necessary. I loved the detailed information of the defenses set up at the houses, towns, and bunkers.

The main things that annoyed me were the lack of decent female characters,
Indy Quillen
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a self-relience enthusiast I'm drawn to post-apocalyptic stories, but not many are written as well as this one from Russell Blake. Then there is the added bonus that because the story takes place in Texas and the main character, Lucas, was a Texas Ranger before the plague hit, you also get a modern day western as well! Horses and guns a blazing - yeah, it's all there. Being a woman of a certain age I especially enjoyed the fact a mature woman (who knows how to take care of herself) is a ...more
Virginia Night
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing, reminiscent of an old Western

I enjoyed this book. The author was creative and witty. I look forward to reading more written by this author.
LaShawn Vasser
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed. Already moved on to book #2
Matt Cowper
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
WARNING: Spoilers.

It's difficult to make a post-apocalyptic world dull, but Blake pulls it off.

Oh, the world is terrible and cruel, as expected, but it's a paint-by-numbers cruelty. The bad guys are generic bad guys, really the only difference between the various factions being competency.

Blake is also fond of reminding us that humans are scumbags at heart. He stuffs his own personal monologues into normally tight-lipped characters to drive the point home. Even Lucas – your standard taciturn
Traci Loudin
Always nice to read a non-zombie apocalypse. I liked that we knew early in the story what caused the apocalypse and how the main character survived. He's your typical macho post-apocalypse survivor with the skills to stay one step ahead of the grim reaper, even when he does dumb shit like (view spoiler)

The storyline and pace are great. It's a page turner. But this book
Jim A
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I read a Russell Blake novel. I had forgotten just how smooth his writing was. A real pleasure.

For the first half of this story, take away the weapons being used and the dystopian theme, I could have just as easily been reading something by Louis L'Amour. The descriptions of the western Texas, eastern New Mexico landscape, and a former Texas Ranger fighting for what is right, are right out of his style.

As this is the first of a series there is no suspense on whether or
Terry Parrish
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very intense read. Hope this never really happens. I know this is a book, but hey, you never really know for sure. I also hope that Lucas and Ruby make it through this mess. As for Sierra, not so sure about her. Something fishy about her. And poor little Eve caught up in it all. Now its a matter of waiting till the next one is out later this month.
John Podlaski
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the apocalypse genre and found "The Day After Never - Blood Honor" quite different from others. In fact, it's the first dystopian story that read like a western with drug cartels playing the roles of the bad guys. It's been years since gasoline was available and horses have become the vehicle of transportation. Hunting, farming and bartering have become staples for survival...everything, including your life, had a price.

Cartels took over cities and treated its citizens like
David Colonna
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This is one of the few books of the post-apocalypse genre where I cared about the characters as more that force vectors firing small arms into one-dimensional bad guys. The whole idea that having a well stocked bugout bag and an AR-15 with a variable power scope (and a 1911) is going to be a solution to the end of civilization as we know it is starting to wear thin. That is why I stopped reading this genre. I was pleasantly surprised by Mr. Blake’s powers of description about the southwest, his ...more
Lloyd Edsel
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A post apocalyptic western in disguise

I loved the main character, Lucas. He reminded me A LOT of Llewellyn Moss from No Country For Old Men, one of my favorites. A simple man of few words and confident actions, a truly well written character without being a Mary Sue which is all too common. The plot an interesting adventure and I will be reading on with the series. The only thing I didn't like is some of the supporting characters dialog is a bit thin (occasionally) and I don't think it's
Terje Fokstuen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fast paced exciting western about former Texas Ranger Lucas Shaw, living in rural southwest after the end of the modern world (thanks to a massive influenza pandemic) and doing what he can to survive without compromising himself too much.

The Crew, a Tx based criminal cartel that controls most of central and northern Texas, is pursuing a young woman, Sierra, and her niece, Eve. Lucas, along with his friend former computer tech Ruby, get pulled into helping them evade the Crew.

I thoroughly
BLT
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Garrett Never Had A Chance Against Lucas- A Must Read

When an author can make you feel dirty, gritty, sweaty, hungry and thirsty- it’s a good read. The story takes place in one of the most hostile places to live the Southwest (Texas and New Mexico) and the hero of the book is not your typical ex-military type who has all these MacGyver tactics up his sleeve, he’s just a normal guy who unwittingly gets involved with a woman trying to save a child. There are the typical bad guys and bullies to
Scott Pettit
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Top of the class, by a country mile!

I chose a five star rating because I couldn't figure out how to give this series a ten star rating. Yeah, it's that good. Lucus makes Josey Wales look like a ..., well, I really like Josey, but he ain't no Lucus. If someone doesn't make a mini series out of this then I'm canceling Netflix! The story is incredibly good and the writing is even better, if you can believe that. I described it to a fellow author as a "post pandemic western", which doesn't begin to
Julianne Adams
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Terrific!

The books main character, Lucas, is a hardened, former Texas Ranger who, quite by chance, finds himself taking care of a young woman and a five year old little girl. Sierra and little Eve are on the run from a ruthless, evil man who will do anything to get them back. This book has lots of action but enough down time to thoroughly give character depth and background story information. There's also the beginnings of a mystery involving the child and a place known only as Shangri-La. Of
Gordon Sleigh
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad. It definitely has a bit of a Survivalist Mary Sue slant but not in such a way that really caused too much distraction outside of the usual Prepper-trope 'Thou shalt not reference any firearm without listing off its manufacturer, model and specific pros and cons'. Story is fairly generic but non-offensive. Also like a lot of serials it doesn't really have an ending, it just ends without really any individual plot resolution... the whole 'Will they? Won't they? Tune in next week for the ...more
Jasmine Jaslow
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good post Apocalyptic action Western,the first in "The Day After Never" series. Gun enthusiasts will appreciate the descriptions of them as the hero is a former Police officer who knows how to use guns. He was raised on a ranch and can live close to the land, ride a horse well, done much camping, appreciates nature and can track anything. The story takes place in West Texas, New Mexico and Mexico, mostly in and around El Paso, Texas or a several days ride from it on horse. I would ...more
Cherye Elliott
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Day After Never

Loved the Jet books. Going to give this series a try. Loved it. Off to Book Two.

Fav quotes:
But if you think a bunch of faceless cheats in Washington are going to wave a magic wand, you’re nuts. They’re probably all dead. And if they aren’t, they’ve got to convince people like you and me to do the work, because they’ll never get their hands dirty. No, they’ll set up their admiralty courts and pass laws and rules the rest of us have to follow, and find ways to screw us out of
Candace Cook
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was incredible. It was moving a little slower than I could stand, although the terrific writing kept me hooked. I came so close to giving up, and quit reading for a couple days. When u came back to it, I discovered I'd stopped right before the book explodes into perfection. And that slow burn, in the beginning just added to it. So, my apologies to the author for almost giving up on this book. It is quite masterful.
Mike
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved Russell Blake's Assassin series. I thought Jet (well, only made it through the first few chapters of Book 1) was total crap. This one, kind of a dystopian western starring a Clint Eastwood Fistful of Dollars clone is the male version of the execrable Jet series. Someday someone will analyze what kind of person gobbles up stories that are this unlikely and stupid. Blake clearly knows how to write and he also (I guess) knows what sells...more's the pity!
Paul
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sharp and Gripping

Excellent first book of the series. I liked the main character, Lucas, he’s a man’s man and a bit of an old western cowboy hero type. Lucas still needs some development and hopefully the next books will flush that out.
The story is well told and incorporates several points of view from different characters. Which is unique and interesting.
I’ve already purchased book 2.
Lucas Hamasaki
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
So this was intense!

It wasn’t perfect, though. Sometimes the descriptions went on and on, but not as bad as some other books I’ve read recently. The MC is a badass that never is wrong, but I found him realistic in a way. He was a good man trying to do the right thing and I was invested in his quest.

The story is interesting, not too many characters, but the ones we know about are all fun, like Duke, Ruby, Sierra and Eve.

I think the main group has good chemistry and I’m rooting for them.
Elaine Emmerick
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AN INTENSE READ!!

This book is an absolute thrilling, heart-pounding, page turning read! The story grabs you from page one to the last page. Lucas is complicated man...the country has collapsed and the wrong people are running things. Lucas tries to do his own thing until he finds an injured Sierra. He is then on a mission of revenge! I could not put this book down....let me tell you, I tried!! Russell has a way of engaging his readers and he's BRILLIANT at it!
S
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Common theme

While the story was interesting in a common thread way, it was too predictable. World ends, bad guys take over a lot of it, one or a few good ones stand up and are counted. Good and evil combatants. Story moves well even if the theme is a bit tired. There are good people in this world who still help each other but evil is strong. Worth a read, it is quick to finish.
Coralee Malinich
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Western apocalypse

Love the way the author has incorporated a western with modern times! Just one short book and I’m hooked on this book and can’t wait to read the next one! For a refreshing change this “free” book has no errors, was well written by a man who didn’t think it necessary to fill his story with curses and foul language!
Safety Lady
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emotional roller coaster ride

Wow, what an amazing story that had me almost speed reading to see what would happen next. Great writing and a great story that you don’t want to miss. So frighteningly possibly that it adds that edge to the reading that it could be a horror book. Happy reading.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Survive and Escape: A Post Apocalyptic EMP Thriller (The Blue Lives Apocalypse Series, #1)
  • PROTECT AND SERVE: A Post-Apocalyptic EMP Thriller (The Blue Lives Apocalypse Series Book 3)
  • Resist and Evade: A Post Apocalyptic EMP Thriller (The Blue Lives Apocalypse Series, #2)
  • All That Survives (Lone Survivor #2)
  • All That Remains (Lone Survivor #1)
  • All That Escapes (Lone Survivor #3)
  • Rules of Survival (Survival Rules #1)
  • Rules of Darkness (Survival Rules #3)
  • Rules of Engagement (Survival Rules #4)
  • FORTRESS: A Post Apocalyptic-Dystopian EMP Attack Thriller (Reckoning Book 3)
  • Empty Cities (Minus America #2)
  • Minus America
  • Bear the Brunt (Nuclear Survival Saga #7; Nuclear Survival: Western Strength #1)
  • Hunted (Days of Want #2)
  • Rules of Conflict (Survival Rules #2)
  • Turmoil (Days of Want #3)
  • The Solar War (The Long Winter Trilogy #2)
  • War Dogs Heading Home (Wounded Warriors of the Apocalypse #1)

The Day After Never (6 books)
  • Purgatory Road (The Day After Never, #2)
  • Covenant (The Day After Never, #3)
  • Retribution (The Day After Never #4)
  • Insurrection (The Day After Never #5)
  • Perdition (The Day After Never #6)
“But what really happened was that the darkness that’s always lurking just out of sight spotted weakness, and darkness always looks for any way to defeat light. Been that way since original sin.” 0 likes
“We’re a selfish, brutal, venal species. Whenever there’s a disaster, we see that time and time again. Nothing’s changed. We’re still made of the same stuff we were when the Mongols were sweeping across Asia, or the barbarians were ravaging Europe, or our ancestors were slaughtering the Indians, or we were bombing Vietnam and its neighbors into the Stone Age.” Lucas spat to the side. “Think about what happened here. The power went off and a lot of us got sick and died. That’s it. But what really happened was that the darkness that’s always lurking just out of sight spotted weakness, and darkness always looks for any way to defeat light. Been that way since original sin.” 0 likes