Start by marking “Round” as Want to Read:
Round

Round

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  531 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
If you look closely, you will find that the world is bursting, swelling, budding, and ripening with round things awaiting discovery—like eggs about to hatch, sunflowers stretching toward the sun, or planets slowly spinning together for billions of years.Whimsical and imaginative, this poetic ode to all that is round and full of wonder by the Newbery Honor–winning author an ...more
Published March 7th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round

Chance Lee
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-it
This book is sweet and sincere with warm, gentle illustrations.

These are not things I personally enjoy.

Also, the writing is so sensual ("My hands want to reach around their curves." "Some swell into roundness: budding, ripening...") I can't not read it in my phone sex operator voice.
KC
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Round is king and can be found anywhere!
Luann
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Luann by: JLG
You wouldn't think a picture book about round things could be profound, but Joyce Sidman does it easily. I especially liked the extra information she gives in the back explaining why round things are so often found in nature.

Taeeun Yoo tells a bonus story in the illustrations. You could read this as a wordless book, ignore the words completely, and still come away with a really nice story. With the words and the illustrations combined, there is something really meaningful here.
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This is an awkward read aloud.
Sylvia (Serial Bibliophile)
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-challenge
This is the CUTEST picture book I've ever seen! The illustrations are very lovely.

The book is so simple, yet a great story for the little ones. A young girl telling us why she loves round things, from the simplest things in life, to the most important ones.

Just lovely. ♥
Amy Layton
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful concept book teaching children about the joys of round things all the while maintaining a sweet and delightful tone.  Sidman and Yoo make a fantastic pair, and the design of this book is just fantastic (I mean--look at that cover font!).  Overall, this was a pretty dang good book.

Review cross-listed here!
Beverly
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The simple, but expressive text is beautifully illustrated with mixed media paintings to celebrate all things round. The paintings also extend the text by depicting things (like a balloon), that is not explicitly mentioned in the text.
A.C. Paige
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the simplicity and sweetness of this book. Teach the concept of round and circles.
Melki
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
An exploration of round things found in nature.

Yoo's illustrations are the real highlight of this lovely book.

description
Marissa Elera
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shapes
Wonderful introspection of the roundness of things. Quiet, full, and warm. Lovely.
Sarah Nelson
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A lyrical text celebrating round things from oranges to turtle eggs, ripples of water, rolling pebbles and the moon. Beautiful, sparce, childlike language that is gentle and comforting to read aloud. The back matter is really unique, explaining why so many things in nature are round.
Angela
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A more complex exploration of shape than your typical early concept book.
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

Joyce Sidman wowed me before with her book Before Morning illustrated by Beth Krommes. She has a unique way of seeing and describing the world. She is one of those writers that you can just tell pays attention to every word and every meaning and emotion of every word. This book focuses on all things round: seeds, the sun, the moon, eggs, mushrooms tops, oranges, raindrops, ripples…. As it was with Krommes’ cover, it was Yoo’s cover illustratio
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Sidman , Joyce Round. Illustrated by Taeeun Yoo. PICTURE BOOK. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2017. $17.99. Content: G.

A sweet, little girl in this picture book loves round things. She sees them everywhere she looks: in trees, on the ground, on a farm, at the beach. She notices the roundness of mushrooms, blueberries, sunflowers and rocks. She loves to watch round things that move, round things that are hidden, and round things created by nature. She can be round, too… “in a circle of friends with
Tracey
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
diverse picture book (shapes, nature/outdoors - for preschool ages 2-6)
* Book prominently features diverse characters: mainly a little Asian-American girl and her Asian-American dad (mom is absent and not mentioned); her friends are also ethnically diverse--two light-skinned and 3 dark-skinned.
* Book would work for preschool storytime. Text is short and sweet, but descriptive and with some nice vocabulary tossed in. Illustrations are colorful and large enough to be enjoyed by a crowd. There is a
Darcie Caswell
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A young girl marvels at all the round things she loves: seeds, eggs, berries, stones, bubbles, and more. Droplets of water and the ripples they make when they fall on a river or lake are round, as are the centers of some flowers, and a full moon. She loves the smoothness of round things, and how the shape is often comforting. some of them grow into other things. Sometimes round things show nature at work, some of they grow into other things or have surprises inside.

A fun way to think about all t
Susan
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nature poet Joyce Sidman takes the shape “round” and shares about round shapes abundant in nature. From round oranges, to round seeds that grow, or turtle eggs being buried to later hatch. Each page is a nature lesson. Each page gives young readers things to think about. “Some swell into roundness” (mushrooms)….”stretching toward the sun” (sunflowers). Some start in a different shape, but become round when all sharp edges wear off (rocks in oceans). Some are hidden (rings in a tree stump), some ...more
Emily Metheny
Trying to teach your students about shapes? This is a great book for you! This book takes a creative way to teaching shapes by using the world around us. I feel that reading this to your class to begin a lesson about circles and then going on to the technique of using the world to find and understand this shape would be a great way to help kids learn! It would great for all types of learners, auditory form the teacher reading allowed, visual from seeing the shapes, and kinetic by being hands on ...more
Stephany Rose
"Round" by Joyce Sidman is a nice book. It introduces children to many of the round things in their world. During her day a young girl finds and discovers many round things on the ground like seeds and eggs and in the sky like the sun and the stars. The illustrations are done with miked media. They are bright and joyful and help illustrate the wonder of the young child who guides the reader through the book. These illustrations help to awaken the curiosity and interest of the reader. This book i ...more
Lynn
Simple text with soft illustrations introduces the reader to many of nature's offering of this shape. Inspires the reader to find more examples.
The back matter consists of a discussion of reasons "Why are so many things in nature round?" Unfortunately, "Round is beautiful" is an opinion, not a fact, such as "Round rolls." This is misleading if we're trying to help children understand the difference between fact and opinion.
Dierdre
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booklinx
Simple text with beautiful illustrations about things that are round. This would be a nice book for story time focusing on shapes and could also be used for a science lesson, since much of the round things are items found in the natural world from rain and rocks to insects and celestial objects. The appendix in the back was great for providing extra information that would be useful to expand on the science aspect. I thought this book was just lovely and thoughtful.
Karen
Sidman does a wonderful job of making the most fascinating elements of nature simple for the youngest readers. She can easily spark their interest. I really liked this book and the only reason I'm giving it a four is because the last picture didn't work for me, though the rest were beautiful. I thought no I would have liked it better if the last round thing portrayed was the earth itself - in a poster on the girl's wall for instance. Otherwise a beautiful book.
Margaret Boling
1/2/2018 ~~ Sidman directs her talents toward a poem for younger readers, but still finds a way to bring informational text in (see the 2 pages of notes at the end.) On this cold, cold day in early January, I enjoyed curling up with all the roundness of nature in the summer.

Why I chose to read this book: Best in the "Best Concept" category from Minh Le - https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...
Amy
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting book that illustrates the concept of things that are round. The author and illustrator really used their imagination, especially when they said, "Some are a different shape to begin with," and the picture is off rocky formations along the sea. The next page shows what occurs over time.

Illustrations are very colorful.
Barbara
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Explore the many varied meanings of the word round in the picture book, Round, by Joyce Sidman. Delightful illustrations by Taeeun Yoo will inspire children to use all their senses as well as science, art and outdoor play to examine this universal shape. The format of the book allows adults to break the story into sections to do some in depth exploration in the school setting. For ages 2 - 6.
Alice
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
Yep you read correctly 4.25 stars Yes, It is THAT good!! The cover didn't have me convinced but I was sold on the pictures and the stories on the Sunflower scene! I also like the notes in the back! This book can be non-fiction resource or just a story! Either way I liked it a whole bunch!!!
Diane
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I can be round, too ... in a circle of friends with no one left out."

A little girl observes the world around her, noticing all the wonderful round things that exist in different forms. Poetic text and simple illustrations, including a page in the back that discusses why round is such a prominent shape in nature.
Juliana Lee
Young asian girl finds diversity in the nature of round things. She notices everything from the roundness of an orange to the roundness of the moon. Many things are expanded upon in the text and beautiful illustrations... turtle eggs are round, blueberries ripen to a round shape, stars appear round to the naked eye, rocks are rounded by the crash of ocean waves.
Morgan Czopur
It is a simple book that teaches children about all things round. The illustrations presented in the book are detailed. It is a quiet book, yet can also be a book that children will love and appreciate. Things presented in the book are things we may not even realize or pay close attention too. Its unique to see how the author views the world through these round objects.
Brenda
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This gentle book follows a young girl and sometimes her father as they discover round things. Taeeun Yoo's soft mixed media illustrations enhance the soft tone of the text intended for listeners to early readers. I highly recommend this title for both school and public libraries with emergent readers & families.
Joyce Sidman lives in Wayzata, Minnesota. www.joycesidman.com

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More