Start by marking “David Bowie Retrospective and Coloring Book” as Want to Read:
David Bowie Retrospective and Coloring Book

David Bowie Retrospective and Coloring Book

This retrospective presents music legend David Bowie's most idiosyncratic and indelible looksthroughout the years, withinsight intohis famed designer collaborations, fashion inspirations, and stylish illustrations perfect for adult coloring book fans.
Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Thin White Duke. . . . Bowie changed his style more dramatically than any other musician in h
Published October 25th 2016 by Watson-Guptill

To ask other readers questions about David Bowie Retrospective and Coloring Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Bowie Retrospective and Coloring Book

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

When I saw this my inner Bowie didn’t even get a chance to ask . . . .

HELL YES I WANT IT!

It finally arrived in the mail yesterday and I looked a little like this . . .

Running around the office showing anyone who I thought would appreciate it (which – let’s be honest – I work with a bunch of attorneys so only like three people were able to appreciate it).

All of you super intricate adult coloring book aficionados might find yourself
Edward Lorn
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Has Mel Elliott ever actually seen a picture of David Bowie or naw?

In this book, Bowie looks like Pewdiepie, Jim Morrison, and Paul Frehley. See also: Rick Astley, Nick Cave, Marilyn Manson, Mick Jagger, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Bret Easton Ellis. In fact, it might be fun if you guys were to check out your local bookstore and flip through this book to see if you can match the above people to the images in the book. Should be easy. Have fun, but I wouldn't suggest buying it. My point is, he looks
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
A coloring book that is also a short biography - well done with lots of milestones in David Bowie's life and a real focus on his fashion choices.
Stacy Fetters
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
"But her friend is nowhere to be seen
Now she walks through her sunken dream
To the seat with the clearest view
And she's hooked to the silver screen"

David Bowie is still one of my favorite musicians and he will always have a place in my life while being tattooed on my arm.

Any David Bowie collector will love this for their collection. The story was fantastic and the illustrations were just as great. A tad bit sad that there weren’t actual photographs of his stage outfits/personas.

Piper Gottschalk
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a digital copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Firstly, since it was a digital copy and I haven't seen the physical copy, I can't speak on the paper quality or type. If they are best for markers or colored pencil. Things like that.

As for the content, it's a lot of fun for Bowie fans. Great simple line drawing perfect for coloring. Some of my favourite looks were included. As a crafting type, I also think they would be suitable and a lot of fun for embroid
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: activity-books
David Bowie was someone I grew up seeing and listening to, and was without doubt one my first celebrity crush. I used to wish my older brother would wish me away just so I’d have an excuse to be with Jareth…I didn’t really connect the fact that he’d turn me into a goblin though.

This coloring book is an ode to David Bowie’s unique style and provides some facts with each image as well. We get a little more info on his more interesting looks and a peek into his life.

I think this is a perfect little
Danielle N
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: coloring-books
Ok, yes this is a coloring book. No, I do not normally do this, and you may never see me do this again. But let’s be honest, this is a “David Bowie” coloring book. So it gets extra points and recognition. Bowie will always receive recognition. I saw this, I needed it. It was that simple.

I have never actually rated, let alone reviewed a coloring book. I do color when my tremors allow though. Poke fun if you want, but it not only reduces my stress, having a focal point at times, also soothes my ve
Rumeur
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an adult coloring book which I have a digital copy of, therefore I'd need to print out each sheet to color. Those that buy it already in printed book form, you have much easier start

The drawings are by Mel Elliot & they tell the "much shortened biography" of David Bowie, in color book form. Some pages are just shapes, with writing on them stating his birth & real name & other factual information. Other pages are just drawings to color of either David in different stages of hi
TIZZY
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Even though I am not an 80's kid, I still love Bowie so much. I remember seeing him, for the first time, in The Labyrinth when I was in 5th grade and it was love at first sight. I think he was my first celebrity crush. ♡ He has this mysticism around him. Swoon.

description

For a retrospective and a coloring book, this book is on the small size. I was expecting much much much more to it. Seeing it in person I was excited, but also disappointed. The cover is really cool. It has a great copper metallic font ag
Elissa
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have to be honest. This is my first ever book review of a coloring book and it feels a bit weird. But, it is an adult coloring book, so I guess that makes it a little less weird. This book does combine two of my favorite things: pop culture and crafts, so it is totally up my alley.

David Bowie Retrospective and Coloring Book is primarily a coloring book, but the cover makes it one of the nicest coloring books I've seen. The cover is really nice! The stock picture doesn't do it justice. It has a
Polly Krize
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this coloring book in exchange for an honest review.

Wonderful line drawings of Bowie, on stage, performance art at its best! The Thin White Duke, Ziggy Stardust, and more of Bowie's creations are ready for coloring. The retrospective section was a bit thin, but that does not take away from the creative time you can spend on these drawings. Perhaps these could be embroidered too? Recommended.
Kristine
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
David Bowie Retrospective and Coloring Book by Mel Elliott is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early, early September.

This coloring book offers and explores fashion (turn it to the left), textures, WingDing patterns, and bubble stenciled text that is all open to interpretation and coloration.
Robin Bonne
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

A fun little tribute to David Bowie. Each left side page features a fact about David Bowie and each right side page has an illustration featuring one of his iconic looks. The paper is thick and heavy; great for colored pencils. It even has a ribbon bookmark. Overall a cute little coloring book.
Lea Wiggins
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I was not into his music nearly as much as his movies, but I am so happy to have this wonderful record of his career in this rather unique format. I am sure I will never color in it, but simply have it because of the value it has for me personally. He was a great entertainer and his last song struck me to the core of my soul.
Trisha
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Gorgeous retrospective of Bowie fashion over the years- all the most fabulous characters and outrageous outfits! in a beautiful book , printed on quality, thick paper so you can color in whatever media -pencils to markers.
The only thing missing for me is color reference photos, so unless you have eidetic memory , or want to make up your own color schemes - I guess you have to hit Google.
Gracie
Dec 13, 2016 added it
This was a very interesting Coloring book, not only do you get to color but you also get to learn about his life and retrospective. My only complaint would be that it needs more detail in the pictures. There's nothing else I really need to say but I do recommend
Patti
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-won
This book has a brief biography of the life of David Bowie. It is also a coloring book with the different costumes Bowie wore. I'm looking forward to coloring the pictures!
Toni Guyton
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A coloring book about Bowie? YES PLEASE. Also neat facts about his different personas he had on stage and the many stylish outfits he had. Granted, if I wasn't a Bowie fan, might not be as cool. ;)
Donna Maguire
I thought that this was excellent - fun facts and great images to colour - thoroughly enjoyable and will be looking to get a copy for my friend's birthday!
Kelly
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A little on the plain side.

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review through Blogging for Books.)

Like many '80s kids, my first encounter with David Bowie was the 1986 film Labyrinth. Along with Heathers and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I devoured it over and over on a loop; one year, I even dressed as Jareth for Halloween. (Or tried to, anyway. My makeup game wasn't exactly on point.) Whereas the vast majority of my childhood favorites haven't held up so well over the years,
Ryan
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
An interesting idea for a coloring book. As it is now, it's okay. To make it something memorable, I think it would be nice to make the retrospective pages, not coloring pages, and include real photos of these iconic looks.
Jessica

• Mr. Mergler, Beethoven, and Me
  • Inspired!: True Stories Behind Famous Art, Literature, Music, and Film
  • Happy Birthday to You!
  • Frankie Liked to Sing
  • Rhythm & Clues (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #11)
  • The Music in George's Head: George Gershwin Creates Rhapsody in Blue