Start by marking “Ordinary Goodness: The Surprisingly Effortless Path to Creating a Life of Meaning and Beauty” as Want to Read:

A call to action to live a life full of goodness and purpose

People often struggle to find a life filled with passion, happiness--and just plain goodness. This struggle drives many to depression and addictive tendencies. Author and New Thought minister Edward Viljoen argues that the struggle need not be an arduous or painful one--that through everyday acts of kindness, fai
Published January 3rd 2017 by Tarcherperigee

To ask other readers questions about Ordinary Goodness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordinary Goodness

Stephanie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

This easy-to-read, self help book is based on the belief that people (and life) are essentially good. If a person is "awakened" to this (and the "divine" within them) and seeks to lead a more noble, positive and productive life, he or she can achieve this by thoughtful self-examination and practicing the qualities that the author calls "Ordinary Goodness": Kindness, Goodness, Compassion, and Faith.

Before spending time or money on the book, s
Barbara Bue
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Edward has once again written a book that is soft on the heart, full of wisdom and easy to read. His stories of his grandmother and growing up in S. Africa reveal a transparency that is rare amongst authors and spiritual leaders.

Good exercises and great reminders to simply keep asking the question "what is the kindest thing I can do in this moment".
Geoff
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
My Recommendation: It's an interesting read, but I do have to wonder if he could've written it or formatted it in a better to understand way. I'm sure I will pass this on and at the very least will remember it to recommend to others the next time someone says they're interested in meditation and the more spiritual side of meditation.

My Response: Now that I'm starting to settle into my new job (and have two weeks of vacation - when this posts I'll be somewhere between Seattle and Alaska), I'm sta
Muriel
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, practical Goodness Guide. : )
Mary
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Viljoen has lots of encouragement for such a time as this. It IS up to me to determine what my life is.
Tara Sepulveda
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I will be honest. This is the first nonfiction book I have read in years, but it came to me at the perfect time.

It's no secret that the US and the world are having a hard time coming together because politics and opinions have been driving a wedge between people. Ordinary Goodness serves as a reminder that we are all connected to each other and this world.

Viljoen teaches us that it is perfectly okay to have different opinions, the important thing is how we treat people with different and share
dirt
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading a few pages from Ordinary Goodness is a helpful way to start the day. You are reminded to look for the good in the world as well as being a champion for the cause.

---

There was a great sentence on page 70 that I totally misinterpreted. "Being too busy in our thinking can..." I first took the sentence to mean our brain is a thinking can, likening it to a trash can. Our thoughts are garbage in the thinking can. What does it really mean? Read the book.
Jody
Jul 22, 2018
Sara S
Sep 06, 2018
Yu Fang
rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2017
Feb 16, 2017
  • A Fierce Heart: Finding Strength, Courage, and Wisdom in Any Moment
  • Finding the Blue Sky: A Mindful Approach to Choosing Happiness Here and Now
  • Kindfulness
  • Make Peace with Your Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Your Inner Critic
  • Kindness Boomerang: How to Save the World (and Yourself) Through 365 Daily Acts
  • How to Read the Bible and Still Be a Christian: Struggling with Divine Violence from Genesis Through Revelation
  • May I Be Happy: A Memoir of Love, Yoga, and Changing My Mind
  • Beautiful Money: The 4-Week Total Wealth Makeover
  • Tiny Buddha's 365 Tiny Love Challenges
  • 365 Science of Mind: A Year of Daily Wisdom From Ernest Holmes
  • How to Make It: 25 Makers Share the Secrets to Building a Creative Business
  • Silver Hair: Say Goodbye to the Dye and Let Your Natural Light Shine: A Handbook
  • Taking the Path of Zen
  • The 11 Immutable Laws of Internet Branding
  • The Netanyahu Years
  • Novels & Stories 1950–1962: Player Piano / The Sirens of Titan / Mother Night / Stories
  • The Bear: The Rising