Start by marking “Build Your Dream Network: Forging Powerful Relationships in a Hyper-Connected World” as Want to Read:

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
If you think of networking as circulating at boring cocktail parties and handing out business cards, think again.
In the social media age, you need amodern roadmapfor building (and activating) powerful connections to achieve both your loftiest long-term and simplest short-term goals.Networking expert Kelly Hoey's advice gives you the tools and confidence you need to identi
Published January 3rd 2017 by Tarcherperigee

rp
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
mostly fluff. had some good points but nothing groundbreaking. I was hoping for some actual practical tips on reaching out to people tactfully, how to steer a conversation without being selfish, ways to stay in touch without being obnoxious, that sort of thing. but the whole thing was just interviews with people who had succeeded through their networks. like, I already know it works, that's why I'm reading. no practical tips at all other than "plan ahead". gee thanks?
Catalina Cdvd
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just graduated law school and everyone tells you to network, have informational interviews, and to ask questions. This book reshapes your perception of networking as something we're all doing anyway (social media for example), and that by doing it consistently and courteously in the areas of our genuine professional interests we can advance our careers. Loved the perspective and the specific pointers in this book (contrast to vague law school career services advice).
Naomi
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a way to start off a Monday morning, finishing Build Your Dream Network!! This book is full of practical advice. I'll share just a few of the reasons why. In this book Kelly shares an example of attending a conference in Beiruit. She was questioned as to why she would make that long journey. She describes the why for that and shares the strategy behind the connection and opportunity, and how to be specific about the way you spend your time, looking towards the future.

Another key takeaway?
Jon-Michael Jerry
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: networking
While many books are geared towards those who are looking to make immediate gains or become an overnight success, Kelly Hoey very quickly demonstrates how this is not the correct approach for meaningful, mutually beneficial networking. Her step-by-step process to grow your network shows how to start with your immediate network, no matter how sparse it may be, and to grow it by providing value to others along the way.

The Q&A with a select group of Hoey's networking stars throughout the book m
Karina
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
As an introvert at heart, "networking" has always been something I struggled with and have had to do more of than I'd ideally like. J. Kelly Hoey, in her book Build Your Dream Network: Forging Powerful Relationships in a Hyper-Connected World teaches the smart and targeted way to do this—even if you're an introvert and especially in today's world.

So networking is not about exchanging business cards or asking people to help you get a job. And it definitely should not be done only when you need he
Daniel
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Networking is essential in today's hyperconnected world. The author explained very clearly how to do it. 1. No random networking but meticulously planned goal-oriented networking. No going in without a plan. Learn to do things that help achieve a goal. She had shown many powerful examples of the power of networking with the right people. I'm very impressed by all the examples and interviews in this book.
Jessica Rifkind
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I saw Kelly speak in person and really liked her, but was very disappointed by the book. It can essentially be summed up in four main points: use twitter professionally like she does, don't randomly request people on LinkedIn, offer value before you make a request of somebody, and build a network before you need it. Could have easily been a 20 min podcast instead of a full book.
Vinod Narayan
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading Kelly Hoey’s book ‘Build Your Dream Network’. When I was on page 162 I wanted to give a try to what she was saying in her book. I went on Twitter and looked at one of her tweets and replied to it “Reading Your Book on Page 162 as of yesterday, will soon have a review” and she replied back.

There are ways to connect with people. Though the initial intention of my reply was to just test, not Kelly, but what she was writing I was sincere in my tweet. I read substantially, but n
3mmar
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Waire
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick read that will get you thinking more about everything that you do. Kelly details the low hanging fruit...tangible to us all. You'll find yourself nodding in agreement throughout the book and looking to apply her nuggets of wisdom immediately in your life.

I typically pass along books that resonate...but I'm holding on to this one because I know I'll come back to it. I purchased 2 additional copies to share with the people that matter in my life.

Thank YOU Kelly!
Ari
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extroverts will like this book

Whilst the book recognizes that introverts exist, much of the content is really for extroverts which is reflected in the key phrase being People, People, People. There is a good section on crowdfunding and and some emphasis on Twitter as a networking platform. However not enough focus on how introverts should handle networking in general as not everyone is an entrepreneur.
Maxie Mccoy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hoey's advice is the ultimate perspective on Networking, one that will make you rethink everything you know about connections. Everyone is asking and wondering how to find the next major opportunities and this book lays it out with a smart and fresh framework for building a network that will ultimately build your dreams.
Dana Pope
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. For many years I went to networking events and never got any business from them. Now I understand that networking is to connect with the people who can help me when I need it and I can offer them help also. I need to surround myself with people who want to share expertise instead of around those who want to sell me something.
Stacey
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book compliments of Capital One at the Women In Tech Summit in 2017. Kelly Hoey's advice is spot on and as someone who self-identifies as an intermediate-skilled networker, I was able to gain some advanced tips and tricks from this reading. Highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to advance in their field.
Amanda
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a great read, full of practical and relevant advice. As an introvert, traditional “networking” has always scared the living daylights out of me - but Kelly offers suggestions that truly resonate with my authentic strengths. A must-read for every professional!
Lexane
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm actually really surprised - this is one of the first times in my life I've read a personal productivity book that actually taught me something and was useful.
I will recommend that people read this book and take something away from it.
Kate Johnson
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Insanely actionable, timely, relevant and smart tips on networking in 2018. Redefines what it means to network in a way that makes the value apparent.
Neal
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Written from a perspective Set a Goal + What Network can help achieve goal = tactics. Multiple interviews with others on how they achieved their goals and how their networks played a part.
Sophie Papavizas
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me and I found some useful information but it was ultimately repetitive.
Jae
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful reminder of the concentrated focus and consistent effort required to nurture a strong network and achieve broader goals and/or accelerate your career.
Lindsay
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
For anyone wanting to better leverage the power of networking, this is a must-read. Using real world examples and her own experience, Kelly shows you how to laser-focus on your goals and build and feed your networks around them.
Caitlin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I am a convert to the "church of Kelly" and I cannot stop telling people about this book. Instead of vague "self-help" encouragement, Hoey has packed this book absolutely full of real-world instruction you can put into practice TODAY. I also much prefer reading the case studies in the interview format she used - it really brings out the voices of the people she has interviewed. My copy is covered in notes. Like she suggested, I have used this as part reference guide, part j ...more
Joyce Sullivan
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant networking guidance of J. Kelly Hoey from strategic to tactical tips. Building relationships the real way in person augmented by smartest use of social media engagement with real people! Buy it for yourself and a copy for a friend who changed your life by generously sharing their trusted network contacts with you. A real pay-it-forward gem.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: advance-read
An excellent job of examining the give and take of networking for both business, social, and volunteer purposes. The question and answer format in several sections is a plus. The author does not just include the advantages of networking but discusses some of the pitfalls. This was a free review copy obtained through Goodreads.com.
Warren Gossett
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The advice of this author, J. Kelly Hoey, on how to connect with people and achieve your goals in a digitally connected world:

Use social media and any other methods with a specific focus.
Understand yourself and other people as well as possible.
Kelly
Jan 09, 2017 added it
I'll be a bit biased in my review. I don't know the author but we share some mutual friends and colleagues, several who were featured in this book. So great interviewees, and in general a book full of good social and career tips.
Elana  Gross
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Consider this networking 101! It shows you why and how to network authentically in the digital age. Loved it! (Plus Kelly is wonderful!)
Elizabeth