Start by marking “Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)

Cogheart

(The Cogheart Adventures #1)

Some secrets change the world in a heartbeat...

Lilys life is in mortal peril. Her father is missing and now silver-eyed men stalk her through the shadows. What could they want from her?

With her friendsRobert, the clockmakers son, and Malkin, her mechanical foxLily is plunged into a murky and menacing world. Too soon Lily realizes that those she holds dear may be the very
Published September 1st 2016 by Usborne

To ask other readers questions about Cogheart, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sonal She gets called 'Tiger' because there there is a type of flower called a "tiger lily" , so she gets called " tiger" or "tiger lil' " as a reference to…moreShe gets called 'Tiger' because there there is a type of flower called a "tiger lily" , so she gets called " tiger" or "tiger lil' " as a reference to the flower with the same name .

Hope that answers your question :) (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cassandra It's set in a normal steampunk Victorian time - so a big, busy London with a Dickensian vibe, and with mechanical slaves instead of human ones.…moreIt's set in a normal steampunk Victorian time - so a big, busy London with a Dickensian vibe, and with mechanical slaves instead of human ones. (less)

Start your review of Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
jv poore
Set in the skies above and the streets running through London, this scintillating story of clockworks, mechanimals, hybrids and humans is the book that will keep kids reading well past bed-times. It has to be hard for a young reader to step away from this fast-paced, perilous plot because as an adult, I found myself hurrying through a chore or four so that I could get back to the search for the oh-so-secret cogheart.

Professor Johns airship was attacked and it seems the sole survivor is Malkin,
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful middle-grade book, extremely steampunk (which was the reason I picked this up in first place)
The story is the typical mystery with all the elements injected in the right points. It's not the most original,A missing father with secrets, a headstrong young heroine, the villains and her helping hands. A bit formulated storyline that we can kind of guess who the culprit is, but the world Bunzl builds is so captivating, I found myself attached to the story.

Lily's father goes
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
Cogheart is a tale with many moving pieces, not unlike the steam-punk mechanicals that Lily's father builds. Unfortunately I think it's a bit flat, as I never felt very attached to the characters. Also, for a middle grade novel, there is an awful lot of proverbializing and "lessons learned" sort of speeches, which I found annoying and am sure many of the target audience would as well. It also has a bit of a dark feel in some places, not unlike the Series of Unfortunate Events series - only these ...more
Puck
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children fan of science-fiction & steampunk
4 stars for this exciting steampunk adventure.

Cogs and chronometers, this book is amazing! It caught my eye in Waterstones because of the beautiful cover and since Ive never read something steampunk-related before, I decided to give this a try. And Im glad I did, because I loved this book.

Cogheart is a middle-grade adventure story that takes place in Victorian London. We follow Lily, a headstrong, 11-year old girl whos father, the talented inventor John Hartman, has gone missing and is
Kerri
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was beautiful. It was charming and quaint, set in London, 1896. The characters were wonderful, I loved Lily and know she would have been a childhood favourite/hero of mine. It's not merely her though - all the characters were so well formed, including the wonderful Malkin (a mechanical fox), Robert (the clock makers son) and the villains. It's actually rather scary at times which I appreciated - it's a children's book that isn't glossing over death or peril but it isn't glorifying it ...more
Kaitlin
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A super easy read and one which has a lot of Victorian steam punk elements which include a tiny mechanical fox called Malkin, a young girl with a rebellious streak and a boy who is the clockmaker's apprentice. Lots for kids to enjoy and well worth a read. 4*s
Robin Stevens
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really wonderful steampunk story that reminded me of Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series. It's pacy and exciting, and I loved the world that Peter has built.

Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Okay I'm so excited that I get to whip out this card already (context: I'm so excited to be old)
description
back in my day, I went to the library with my mom and wanted a book! I went to this magical land called the Reference Desk and waited 20 minutes in line to talk to a witch known as the Reference Librarian. I asked her for a book that was like Coraline and that damn witch refused to suggest anything but the damn Babysitters Club and the Dear Canada series. This damn book should have existed back then!
Peter
Jan 21, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
What are the Cogheart Adventure books about?

The Cogheart Adventure books are fantastical action-packed stories for ages 8+ set in an alternative Victorian world. They feature three main characters: Lily, the fiery and quick-witted daughter of two world famous inventors, Robert, a talented and thoughtful clockmakers son and Malkin, a scruffy and opinionated mechanical fox. The three heroes must use every ounce of their courage and cunning as they face a series of mysterious life-threatening
Hafsa Sabira
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Jessica
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
So, this is a rough one for me to review. Anyone who has been following me for any length of time knows how much I love Middle Grade books. There's something beautiful about a tough topic dealt with in a way that is consumable by young readers. Even better, there's something lovely about watching a young person conquer an unimaginable adventure. I always have high hopes for all the MG books that I read, and this was no exception.

At first, I was enchanted with the idea of a steampunk story for
Ruzaika
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another version of this review can be found here.

Received with many thanks in exchange for an honest review from the publisher.

Cogheart by Peter Bunzl was a true delight to read. A middle-grade steampunk adventure set in Victorian England, this book has mechanical, mechanimals, hybrids, steam-powered airships and so much more. What first caught my eye was the brilliantly done cover- simply beautiful, don't you think? It gives you an idea of what to expect- two fabulous protagonists, a mechanical
Rebecca Jane Brown
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Part of this review contains spoilers, I'll point out before I mention any! Apart from that, read away!

I stumbled across this book accidentally in my library, whilst searching for another. I must admit that it's cover captured my attention before it's contents. I sat down with it for half an hour before deciding to commit and take it home to finish... :).

This was in the children's/young adult section and it did read like a children's/very young adult book... It would have been something I'd
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Netgalley and North Star Editions for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

For a while I had my eye on Cogheart to purchase as an ebook. Then I stumbled upon it on Netgalley where it was getting a rerelease this year with North Star Editions and I knew I had to request it. This is just a lovely, delicious steampunk middle grade novel.

The story starts us off with Prof Hartman who gets attacked on his air ship. His mechanimal Maulkin escapes and is sent with a message to
La La
I was so disappointed with the last 20% of this story as a Middle Grade, I don't know what to rate it. Plus, I just saw the author's blurb says he was excited to write about these kids finding their way in the world, but that's YA. Middle Grade books are about kids finding their place in the family and among their peers. I am so tired of authors writing MG aged characters who are far beyond the maturity of children that age, instead of making them a year or two older and publishing it as YA. It ...more
Quirkybookworm
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, be still my heart! This is one of the most creative steam punk novels for teens! Lily and Jack are really just adorable and brave as they navigate their way through dangers along with mechfox. I just wanted to hang out them and be a kid again! I was able to get lost in that world completely. The author managed to paint the steam punk world very vividly along with words such as cogs, by the ticks, and so forth. There are many factors in the book we deal with in real life. Overall, this book ...more
Lana
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first steampunk, Victorian adventure and I had no idea what to expect! Punchcards And pistons! This book was so much fun!

Lily is a fiesty, young girl living away from home in an all girls school, when she learns her father is missing and presumed dead. This is where her adventure takes off!

Lily was being protected by her father, but she doesnt even know why. Now she is being hunted for an invention her father was trying so hard to protect. Does she find the invention that everyone is
Dreximgirl
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the world and the steampunk aspects of this book, but I have to admit it fell a little flat for me. I found it perhaps written a little too young for me as I saw all of the twists coming and nothing really surprised me. But yet at the same time some things happened that felt a little out of place, like major things would happen to these kids but they'd just be fine and carry on without really feeling the emotions or impact of those things.

I liked the mechs but I don't think that will
Eims
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this as a kid, eight years old me would have been very into it. Thirty-one year old me has to recognise that it's a kids book. It's an interesting take on Victorian England. I'd recommend for 9+ (it can be creepy in parts and a bit violent, not necessarily gory but just a bit ew). It's made my shelf (love the cover) and I'd recommend it happily enough to parents/kids/adults who read kids books.
James
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
An exciting and gripping page turner of an adventure set in an alternate steampunk, Victorian England. With dastardly villains and two brilliant lead characters!

I really enjoyed this and am definitely intrigued to see where it goes from here. Works nicely as a stand alone though a sequel is planned, so looks to be a fun set of mysteries. Was brilliant to see a strong female lead who breaks the boundaries of her time period, and the writing makes note of this too!
HP Saucerer
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A marvelous, rip-roaring steampunk adventure, packed with danger and daring, dastardly villains, two brilliant lead characters and lashings of mystery and nerve-jangling suspense. Positively tocking brilliant.
Sand-Witch
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This kid tho. Its very fun and adventurous. It has mystery to it and at one point it gets very gruesome. 4.5 stars. This book is really good. ...more
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the moment you open the front cover until the moment you reach the conclusion this book does not stop! The prologue is action packed and perfectly formed to draw you firmly into the story, within seconds I was invested in what happened to John and Malkin.

Following the prologue Lily is visited at school by their housekeeper who tells her her father is dead and she needs to return home. Once shes there its clear that something isnt quite right, the housekeeper is raiding the rooms looking for
Emma Radford
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great read - brilliant protagonists, gripping adventure and crazy inventions in this steampunk novel. Look forward to the next instalment.
Rae
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, bt-e-book, arc, 2019
Cogheart by Peter Bunzl is a fun middle school adventure set in the late 1800s.

I dont read a lot of middle school books, but Im glad I picked this one up! Cogheart was such a cute read! It was a playful book that set a frolicking pace and was jam-packed with action.

I adored the storyline for Cogheart! When Lilys father goes missing, presumed dead, Lilys world is turned upside down. She doesnt know who to call friend or foe and finds herself in the middle of an intrigue she doesnt fully
Allie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ebooks, review-copies
Full Review
I absolutely adored this book! It was honestly so hard choosing my favorite quote to put at the top of this review because I had so many highlighted. I'm a big fan of lyrical writing - it helps pull me into the story's world more - and Peter Bunzl's writing style is beautiful, especially for a middle grade! The writing was simple enough to be understood, but still enjoyable for anyone who picks it up, no matter what age!

Lily is a great main character! She's realistic and relatable and
Matilda Chapman
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I went into this book expecting to love it. The plot sounded incredible and the cover is simply gorgeous. Prior to starting Cogheart, I was reading multiple books per week. However, this took me just under a month. The characters were underdeveloped and dull. Even Malkin the mechanical fox wasn't as amazing as I'd expected him to be. The world in which it was set was not very well described so you felt a bit lost and the battle moments were tedious at best.

The only book so far this year I
Zainab Ishaq
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such an exciting adventure set in Steam Punk, England. The book was basically for young readers but I read children's literature after a very long time so I really enjoyed reading this book.

The plot of the book was great. I won't reveal here so I don't spoil it for those who still have to read this book or are currently reading.
Peter Brunzl's debut book was an undoubtly amzing adventure with a gripping plot, with lead main heroines and many dark secrets.

The end was quite satisfying but
Alex Peachman
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book definitely got more exciting towards the end, and it was worth reading on to get there. I liked the mix of historical and sci-fi - it is set in the late Victorian period, but has robots in it! I think that's what they call 'steam punk'!
Jypsy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read for middle school ages. It's a good steampunk adventure story. The characters are engaging. The story is predictable but still fun.

• A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • A Place Called Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • The Nowhere Emporium
  • The Somerset Tsunami
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • Rumblestar
  • The Last Chance Hotel (Seth Seppi Mystery, #1)
  • Who Let the Gods Out? (Who Let the Gods Out?, #1)
  • Brightstorm
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • The Girl of Ink and Stars
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • The Trouble with Perfect (Perfect, #2)
  • WildSpark
  • Sky Song
Really, really long Bio:

Peter Bunzl is an author, filmmaker & animator who writes quirky tales about finding your place in the world and what makes you unique. Stories of family and humanity and where they begin and end. He loves cinematic images, magical adventures and big odd ideas!

His series of childrens novels The Cogheart Adventures are tales of danger and daring, catastrophes and courage

The Cogheart Adventures (4 books)
  • Moonlocket (The Cogheart Adventures, #2)
  • Skycircus (The Cogheart Adventures, #3)
  • Shadowsea (The Cogheart Adventures, #4)

News & Interviews

“Feelings and intuition, love and compassion, those are the things make a soul, not blood and bones or machine parts.” 4 likes
“The soul’s a matter of the heart, Robert, and the heart’s a mystery even the greatest scientists don’t understand.” 4 likes