Start by marking “Recluce Tales: Stories from the World of Recluce” as Want to Read:
Recluce Tales: Stories from the World of Recluce

Recluce Tales: Stories from the World of Recluce

(The Saga of Recluce)

Published January 3rd 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Recluce Tales, please sign up.
Alain I'd recommend after reading "Heritage of Cyador" (book 18).
I'd recommend after reading "Heritage of Cyador" (book 18).
You need to first "absorb", then retroactively recall the world of Recluce in its entirety before reading "Tales".
"Tales" will make better sense and enable you appreciate it more.
Happy reading......(less)

Bob
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-epic
The Saga of Recluce has to be one of the more interesting, and more intriguing, fantasy sagas currently going. We're talking 18 full-length novels, all set in the same world, but only loosely connected. The series doesn't follow any single storyline or cast of characters, and is entirely non-linear, jumping instead through history and across the world with each book.

With Recluce Tales, L.E. Modesitt Jr. provides a series of short-stories that further flesh out the history of the world, filling g
Jim
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was very happy to finally get this & read all the stories. They were all very good, but I think they meant more since I'm familiar with the series & got most, if not all, the references to previous stories & characters. Without that, I think it would still be an enjoyable read, though. If I ever get around to rereading the series, I plan to read the stories in chronological order, too. I meant to mark them as I went through, but never got around to it. Hopefully someone will do so. ...more
eyes.2c
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, library
I love everything Modesitt writes. I am completely bowled over by his art. The fantastic worlds he conjures are thought provoking, evocative and totally engrossing. The way he crafts his works always leaves me completely exhausted by the ideas he presents and giddy with amazement and delight.
The introduction, Behind the 'Magic' of Recluce is a must read for all devotees. It is the most important chapter in the book. The clarity and orderedness of Modesitt's thoughts and in turn their application
Patrick St-Denis
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading L. E. Modesitt, jr.'s Recluce Tales, a new collection of short stories set in the Recluce universe, was a veritable trip back down memory lane for me. Looking back, I realized that other than Katherine Kurtz's Deryni sequence, the Recluce saga is the fantasy series I've been reading for the longest time. Indeed, I originally bought paperbacks of both The Magic of Recluce and The Towers of the Sunset circa 1992 or 1993. It doesn't make me any younger, that goes without saying. But it's al ...more
William Bentrim
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recluce Tales by L.E. Modesitt, jr

My only complaint about Modesitt is that he only seems to put out one book a year. I have reviews roughly 30 of his books and have yet to find one that I didn't enjoy. I have frequently noted that I am not a fan of short stories. (Which is ironic as I am working on a collection of short stories of my own.) I made an exception and as always with Modesitt, I am glad I did. The stories were like dropping in for a visit with an old friend.

Reviewing a book of short
Randy Pursley
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
There were some good short stories in this book. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I read many of these books from this series, I do not remember much of the surrounding events and characters.
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
In this collection of short stories set in the world of Recluce, only four have been previously published. These stories aid in answering some questions about the Recluce series and aid in filling in the timeline. It was an enjoyable read for me.
John
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The short stories had a very good variety. There is a 50+ page novella in the middle of the book that was excellent, my favorite part of the collection. I like how Modesitt Jr. tied some of the stories together, related some of the stories back to other novels, and left some of them to stand on their own merit.

I would recommend this to any Recluce fan. However, it does contain spoilers if you have not read all of the other Saga of Recluce novels.
Owlsinger
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I don't usually read collections of short stories, since they end before you can get fully involved with the characters. Some of the settings were from books I'd read several years ago and, although they were revealing background info, or "whatever happened to...", I had trouble remembering where they fit in. Except for the chair; once he mentioned the fountain and strange goings-on, I got it, and could appreciate the story. Otherwise, meh.
Kevin
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of out of context snippets from the Recluce series. I slogged through the first few, then started skimming faster and faster until I gave up. Some that I read were charming, but it has been too long since I was last in this world to remember names, places, or events.
Mark Muckerman
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Profoundly disappointing. . .

What could have been a great anthology of short stories and one-offs to both fill in gaps and further expand the Recluse universe, instead comes off as a throw-away effort of thin, undeveloped thoughts that range from a few well-developed gems to a majority of muddled, incomplete threads of idea that read like a mess of post-it notes jammed together.

Even the shortest of short stories has a plot or a point, and too many of these miss that mark, or are so rooted in obs
Raven Tyjha
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi fans looking for something fun.
Shelves: didn-t-finish
The book was very.... interesting. The writing was neat and the author showed a skillful knack for description that caught my interest quickly. This was an impressive feat since the book itself just wasn't working for me.

My problem was Mr. Modesitt writes like he's writing sci-fi. Which is totally cool, but I don't read sci-fi because the writing style is very different then fantasy. Sci-fi is written with a particular attention to detail and a grasp of realistic logistics that just frankly, do
Josiah
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As someone who hasn't read any of Modesitt's other works (I realllllly want to read Magic of Recluce but my library system doesn't have it and my budget hasn't made space for it yet, grr), this book was a bit of a mixed bag. A third of the stories had great themes & interesting characters and I really enjoyed them. A third of the stories I was indifferent on, and a third of the stories I was just confused by given my relative unfamiliarity with the rest of the world. I suspect an avid reader ...more
J.C. Webb
I'll be honest, I loved the book. However, the reason I rated it so low is when compared with the rest of the series it flounders around and falls relatively flat. It is my opinion that many of the short stories in this book would have made excellent novels in the Recluce Series. The introduction to some of the stories made me sad as a reader and author. Especially where he talks about his editor asking him not to write about one of the major events in the Recluce Universe.

In conclusion, if you
Steve Pillinger
This is a volume of short stories. I didn't read every one of them; I dipped into it from time to time. Eventually I stopped because basically I don't much enjoy reading short stories. The ones I read were well up to Modesitt's usual standard—so there was nothing wrong with the writing, just that I got tired of the short story format. Also, I seldom remembered the details from the full-length novels that these were fleshing out. I've read all of them, but many of them a long time ago; the only r ...more
Mary Lee
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
"Recluce Tales" contains twenty stories set in the world of Modesitt's fantasy series, "The Saga of Recluce."I enjoyed several of the stories very much, especially "The Most Successful Merchant," "The Stranger," "Ice and Fire," and "Worth." And I appreciated the extra perspective on several of the characters and events of the series. Overall, however, I liked this less than Modesitt's novels. What I've enjoyed most in his fiction is becoming immersed in the life of a likable main character, and ...more
Ron
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read most of the Recluce books, so getting hold of this collection of short stories set in that universe was a treat. The opening essay on the creation of Recluce was interesting for the background it provided. The stories varied in interest to this reader, but the overall effect was quite readable. Having Modesitt provide a brief scene setting for each story was a very nice touch as was having the stories in chronological order. If you read the Recluce books, you will want to read Recluc ...more
Arnold
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
If you are a fan of Modesitt, you may enjoy this book. Some of the stories were entertaining and answered reader questions from the overall Recluce series. However, some of the stories were probably part of a larger work (like a novel) and had been edited out of the final work. Now, these pieces were molded to stand alone in the form of a short story. Some of the stories you felt like they were over before you found yourself properly grounded and invested in the eventual tale. I read it because ...more
Sandy
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A book of short stories set in the world of Recluse. How lovely! Revisiting characters with some back story, filling in some history, and meeting some new residents of the world. I can't think of a better way to spend my reading time. Some day I hope he solves and shares the riddle of the Rational Stars and where the Angels come from, but in the mean time getting lost in LE Modesitt's writing is a treat worth savoring. Nice way to pass the time waiting for the next Imager book.
Jesse
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these more than his previous book of short stories, which were mostly not set in Recluce. It probably helps that I've read ~16 novels set in Recluce, so the short stories didn't have to do too much heaving lifting in the worldbuilding department. I don't know what it would be like to read if you hadn't read the novels, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fun glimpses of people and places that have mostly only been hinted at before, as well as following up with a few old friends.
Ed
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to agree with one of the previous reviewers. Short story collections have good and not so good stories. Many of the ones in here were quite good and helped fill in the back story that had never been written. I have to say the final story was quite poignant - no one remembered the hero’s name or seemed to care. A welcome addition to the Recluce saga. They are always a favorite.
Stuart Schneider
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some of these stories were terrific and I wanted more. They were not all brilliant in that some of them were too short and should have contained more storyline rather than leaving you hanging. I did read this book at the correct time though, after I had read every other Recluce novel out there, otherwise there are obvious spoilers in these. Nonetheless well written once again.
J. C. Jenkins Jr
In this book you learn how the different people ended up on Recluse and where they're actually from. I have learned so much about the different factions from the primitive cultures that always existed in Recluse to the futuristic cultures of Cayador and the Angles and where the are from.
Keilani Ludlow
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Pros and cons. I'm seldom a fan of short stories. The only time I like them is when they fill in spaces around a full length series I've read. Some of these fill that role, others do not. More might fill the role if I had read all of the books more recently, but that is a truckload of books to have read - all recently. That being said, I think the best part of this book is the very beginning when the author describes the process whereby he first determined to write a fantasy novel (up to that po ...more
Bookwyrm13
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ties up some loose ends, and answers some questions, wish there was more in the founding of cyador and maybe a bit more about the druids but any time I can spend in the world of recluse is to be treasured
Somewhatbent
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever happened to...

Ever wonder what happened to a minor character or the origin of things that appear elsewhere in the series? This volume answers many of these questions in short stories or novellas. Not every question gets answered, but a great many are.
Mark Zodda
Enjoyable collection of stories from the world of Recluse. Despite having read all of the Recluse novels, I found it hard to place the stories and their characters into my knowledge of that world. Still, the writing and stories were entertaining.
Michael-David Sasson
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recently, I have been a little worn by Modesitt's version of formulaic which I really enjoyed the first dozen novels of his that I read. Novellas and short stories partially solve that problem because you get to the punchline a lot earlier.
Tony Fecteau
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't normally lime sorry stories, but this book was great. of course done of the stories should be a novel in itself....
Robert Mcknight
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover to audiobook edition 3 11 Jun 15, 2017 06:42AM

• Tales From High Hallack, Volume 1: The Collected Short Stories of Andre Norton, Volume 1
  • Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai, #2)
  • Vultures (Miriam Black, #6)
  • Magician In Training (Power of Poses, #1)
  • Griffin's Destiny (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #3)
  • Choices (Tales of Valdemar #12)
  • Lesterland: The Corruption of Congress and How to End It
  • Kissyman and the Gentleman
  • Soul Seeker (The World of Lasniniar, #1)
  • The Pegasus's Lament (The Swordmage Trilogy, #3)
  • The Sea of Time (Kencyrath, #7)
  • Trial of Intentions (The Vault of Heaven, #2)
  • Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga, #1)
  • The Very Best of Kate Elliott
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce, #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce, #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce, #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce, #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce, #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce, #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce, #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce, #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce, #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce, #10)