Start by marking “Modern Mindfulness: How to Be More Relaxed, Focused, and Kind While Living in a Fast, Digital, Always-On World” as Want to Read:

In Modern Mindfulness, Rohan Gunatillake argues that to lead more mindful, calm and happy lives, switching off is the last thing we need to do. Instead he gives readers ideas, principles, and techniques to bring awareness, composure, and kindness whatever they are doing. Filled with over sixty practical exercises, the author's mobile mindfulness approach gives the benefits ...more
Published January 24th 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Modern Mindfulness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Mindfulness

Erica
My face as I listened to this book:
 photo Side Eye Chloe_zpsjsc1tb76.gif

It was the word "Modern" in the title that grabbed me. I wondered what new mindfulness practices were being explored in our fancy digital age.
The answer: None that you'll find here.

I was surprised when the author stated, late in the book, that he was born in 1980. That makes him 38 this year. I would have pegged him as being at least ten years younger because he has a noticeable gap in his knowledge base and yet he's published this book regarding said knowled
Rachael  Fryman
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Highly recommend this book for anyone thinking of trying meditation or mindfulness. I plan to purchase this book in a physical copy to annotate and reread the information here! I can't wait to incorporate some of these meditation practices into my daily life!
Meg
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most realistic, applicable guide to mindfulness I've read.
Somaya AlGhazali
Simple and effective.
The best book for me this year.
Jason Scott
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind, audiobook
Audiobook. Written by the guy who created the Buddhify app (that I used to use before I switched to Insight Timer).

He has an interesting take on mindfulness and bringing it into the modern world. The exercises he lays out in the book are very different from what you see in other mindfulness books, in that he's looking for ways to tie mindfulness to the modern world we live in. Meditation is something you can do while walking, commuting or sitting on your computer. He also has a good suggestion f
Angelynn
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book took me by surprise—and in a good way! I began this book under the impression that the author would talk about how “too involved” we are with our electronics, and that in order to be mindful in a modern-day world, we have to have periods in which we retreat from our electronics. I was totally wrong. This book took an unexpected turn for the better; it basically said that in this day and age, we must embrace and use technology to help us be mindful, as well as eliminate the division bet ...more
Elena
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do not meditate, not in a classical way and not even in the "portable" way the author presents. But i was still interested. Reading about (and sometimes trying to apply) creative ways of finding paths around obstacles is my hobby.
Kazen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
My job can be stressful so my friend recommended a meditation app, something I could do during stolen moments that would help me gain a little peace. I sat down in the hospital coffee shop and... I tried. I really did. But I had to crank up the sound to drown out a crying baby, people were looking at me funny, and I kept opening one eye to make sure my purse was still there. Still lots of stress, not so much peace.

Gunatillake outlines a method that doesn't require quiet or closed eyes or even st
Chris Abraham
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. This book introduced the concepts 'mindfulness' and 'meditation' in a way which was welcoming, giving me the feel that meditation was something 'doable'. Earlier, the term 'meditation' used to intimidate me, giving off the impression that one had to be super-still in a quiet isolated place to derive benefits from it. This book cut through all those myths. Six 'core techniques' and sixty 'exercises' related to insight-oriented meditation have been detailed here. A very practical approach ...more
Kristine
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Modern Mindfulness by Rohan Gunatillake is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early January.

Not long before New Year's Day 2017, I made it my resolution to put aside digital screens and focus more on face-to-face contact. Luckily, this book is much of the same mindset while also acknowledging that digital contact is an unavoidable part of daily life. Where some people may believe that mindfulness may be too impractical or difficult to achieve, Gunatillake simplifies daily activities to be don
Annie Kay
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I so wanted to like this book. I kept going back to it. But each time I did, I honestly felt a bit insulted - ha! it increased my suffering...so, I am a 55 yo woman who's meditated for decades, loves the spiritual aspect of it, might be a hippie, (these are both IDed as problems with mindfulness - the God problem, the hippie problem). And being an older meditator, whom the author says is a late-adopter of technology. So I just stopped. I'm obviously not in the author's sangha.

Maybe a young pers
Stephany
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really downloaded this on a whim. And I'm glad I did. I've been trying to get more centered and be more mindful and make time for being centered and zen, so this seemed like a good download. I really loved the layout of the book, the tips and hints to be more mindful when surrounded by technology, and the practice meditations. I took a lot of notes during this read to refer back to. I'd highly recommend this for anyone wishing to find a moment of peace, clarity and how to be kind to others and ...more
Frieda
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The author shows how you can incorporate more awareness in your everyday dealings just by focusing the brain more on your surroundings rather than constantly allowing your mind to drift to all sorts of thoughts. Rather than setting aside time to mediate in the traditional fashion, he teaches you to meditate anywhere - on the subway commute to work, in the shop while on line, etc.

It's a good read for anyone who feels like their mind is always buzzing and wants to learn how to calm it down.
Connie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was certainly meant for me! I looked longingly at the title when I added it to my to-be-read list as I said to myself, “If only there were enough hours in the day to read this book and add yet another thing to my day that I need to do.” Years ago, during a brief period as the stay-at-home mom to a toddler, I added meditation to my day while my young son napped. With the addition of a second child and going back to work, I gave up the practice because I didn’t have the time anymore. Tha ...more
Betsy Harloff
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-non-fiction
I am no stranger to meditation but I have not practiced regularly for some time. I got this book as a refresher and was looking for it to give me some new tips and tricks. I came away from reading this book with some new great tools to help foster meditation in more of a modern way, while still making time to practice traditionally. The author mentions many fun meditation games you can play with other as well as introducing the shooting people with kindness game. That is a fun game I have been p ...more
Lindsay
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a great introduction into the world of mindfulness meditation and finding self awareness. I enjoyed the simple meditation practices and reading the authors perspective on different aspects of meditation. Whereas I found this book a bit easy and basic since I already have studied meditation and awareness/consciousness for quite some time, I feel like this would be a great book for beginners to pick up and start on their own journey of mindfulness and self-healing.
Jo
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to this book and I'd probably honestly give it a 3.5. There are a LOT of great ideas for increasing mindfulness in our every day lives. Several simple, yet compelling practices that I have already started to incorporate. For ideas - I'd give it a 4.5. It just wasn't a universal listen. I enjoyed it but didn't LOVE it... All that rambling to say - I'm glad I read it - but wouldn't recommend it for everyone :)
Kimberly
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great book on handles for awareness. I am a Christian, which by nature means I am not a Buddhist. I do, however, see a big problem with our lack of awareness in this world. To ourselves, our bodies and minds. To others around us. There are some excellent ideas here that I plan to use in the context of invite God into instead of anything else. Some of them are so simple though to be still and just be aware of what’s going on in your body. Good read.
Emily
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book provided so many creative ways to apply mindfulness to modern times - mindfulness isn’t necessarily sitting in silence with your legs crossed for 10 minutes anymore! Instead of working against phones and technology, the author recognized that these might even play a role in mindfulness. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the topic.
Victoria Williams
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
This read started off strong with many useful tips to integrate mindfulness into modern life. I enjoyed reading about Rohan's experience but I had a difficult time finishing. The tone changed and it became less helpful and not exactly what I was expecting from the strong start filled with tips and tricks.
Gina
Not the best book on mindfulness out there but still a good one. It provides useful tips for using mindfulness in everyday life, modern times, and a digital world. It also breaks down some of the stereotypes and excuses people use to not practice mindfulness.
AB Watson
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
If your thinking or just starting out in meditation and mindfulness practice this is a great book on different techniques and practices.

Really good in helping you find that one practice that works for you. Nice easy book to read. Not super ground breaking but a very nice introduction.
Gina Alward
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely a book you can keep coming back to! I really appreciated all the mindfulness techniques littered throughout the pages, and ways for you to build upon your own. Was a great representation of how to meld these ideas of mindfulness with the demands of the modern book.
Suezette Given
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really thoughtful (ha) approach for a modern individual. I raised my eyebrows in recognition of ideas or issues, and didn't roll my eyes once!
[includes meditations, which make it harder as an audio book in the car--but that's my problem!]
Evan
A decent read; the author presents a multitude of options to bring mindfulness and awareness into everyday situations. While some are definitely campier than others, only incorporating a handful of them would definitely extend the benefits of mindfulness/meditation practice when off the cushion.
Diane
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
In an always on world, it’s hard to find time to just be. Rohan explains practical ways to find time to calm your heart and mind. My favorite quote from the book: “It helps people whose thoughts are chaotic to bring a sense of order, peace and calm to their lives.”
Dan Burt
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 stars.
Ben Rieth
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting about how to practice mindfulness and how it can benefit us in the modern world.
Kristina
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: insight
This was a great book. I chose it because the author is also the creator of Buddhify, my favorite meditation app. Lots of great tips and insight. I will likely purchase this for future reference.
Astri
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book because Rohan provides insights and exercises on meditation which can be practiced in our everyday lives. I will definitely try some meditation practices in mine.

• You Are Not Your Pain: Using Mindfulness to Relieve Pain, Reduce Stress, and Restore Well-Being---An Eight-Week Program
  • The Art of Presence
  • 365 Ways To Change the World: How to Make a Difference-- One Day at a Time
  • Ten Breaths to Happiness: Touching Life in its Fullness
  • The Great Life Photographers
  • Ultimate Self-Hypnosis
  • Living Proof: Telling Your Story to Make a Difference (Expanded)
  • The Mindfulness Revolution: Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditatiion Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life
  • Caught in the Web of Words: James Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary