Start by marking “Crossroads of Canopy (Titan's Forest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crossroads of Canopy (Titan's Forest, #1)

Crossroads of Canopy

(Titan's Forest #1)

Published January 31st 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Crossroads of Canopy, please sign up.
Caitlin Janke It's the life of a teenager but has sort of adult scenes that don't go deep into detail. I'd say older teen to adult

Start your review of Crossroads of Canopy (Titan's Forest, #1)
Hannah Greendale
Feb 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy

Unar lives in Audblayinland, one of thirteen temple "emergents" within the land of Canopy. She serves in the Garden of the goddess Audblayin, but when the goddess dies, Unar descends to the realm beneath Canopy - to the perilous land of Understory - to search for the reincarnated newborn goddess.

Though the story drifts like a leaf on the wind, Crossroads of Canopy occasionally offers florid descriptions
Kaitlin
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
* I was sent this book for free from the publisher in exchange for a review *

I had this on my most-anticipated list for 2017. I heard that it was a story set in the top of a canopy, with three divided worlds, Canopy, Understory and Floor, and I knew it sounded just like something I would love. I do think that the book itself is packed full of fascinating ideas, my only real quibbles were the romance (didn't like that) and the length (this is a suuuuper short book for an epic fantasy).

We follow
Izzy
Feb 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Canopy is a place that lies at the top branches of a great forest, and it's ruled over by thirteen gods and goddesses who die and reincarnate into different bodies, protecting the people who are under their rule. The problem is that there are other people who weren't fortunate enough to have been born in Canopy — instead they live beneath it, in Understory and Floor, and they have to deal with nasty demons and don't get enough sunlight. Unar, our main character, is a Gardener, a citizen of Canop ...more
Althea Ann
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
On the face of it, 'Crossroads of Canopy' begs comparison to Zilpha Keatley Snyder's classic 'Below the Root,' and the more recent 'Updraft' by Fran Wilde. All three novels feature a culture that lives in the treetops, with a literal 'underclass' segregated to the forest floor, strong themes of social justice and a controlling religion, and an element of gliding between trees (always a dangerous activity.) However, aside from the similarities, I thought this book was quite different in feel.

Our
Mogsy (MMOGC)
2.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/04/16/...

Crossroads of Canopy could have been a brilliant debut; it almost hurts to have to talk about why it didn’t work for me. While Thoraiya Dyer’s vision of a vibrant and lush world high above the forest floor is nothing short of breathtaking, I found a curious lack of impetus behind the characters and the plot, and whatever potential the story had at the beginning simply failed to materialize by the end of the book.

The stor
Mike
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: galley
1.5 out of 5 stars -- see this review and others at The Speculative Shelf.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

I maintain that if a book has tree-centric cover art, designed by Marc Simonetti (see Age of Myth), I will drop everything to read it. Unfortunately, I was much less enamored by the pages beneath the beautiful cover.

Conceptually, the novel intrigued me — there is a societal hierarchy that is based on where you live withi
Katie
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, 2017-releases
Crossroads of Canopy is set in a world that is full of lush
forests. At the top of these forest trees we have Canopy, aworld ruled over by thirteen gods who are reincarnated in human bodies every time they die. Below Canopy there are two other realms, Understory and Floor. The Canopians arehellbent on keeping the people of these other realms out and the only time you will find Understorians or Floorians in Canopy is when they have been captured and taken as slaves. From the outset the cruel natu
Christaaay
About : The opening novel of Thoraiya Dyer’s “Titan’s Forest” series takes place in the world of a giant forest. Three realms live at different levels of this forest: “Canopy” claims the privileged position at the treetops, Understorey clings the boughs, and “Floor” settles in the shadows at the foot of the trees.

Crossroads of Canopy opens in Canopy, the most privileged of the three realms. Here, thirteen theocracies rule the Canopian citizens and interact through the usual ways of war, trad
Benedict Patrick
I enjoyed this book. This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year, thanks to a gorgeous cover and an interesting pitch, and I’m pleased to say it didn’t disappoint. I’m a pretty optimistic reader – if I choose to pick a book up, it has to work hard for me to put it down again – so take my review with a pinch of salt. For the record, I listened to the audio book version.
There are two reasons Crossroads of Canopy worked for me – the setting is unique and dense, and the main character is a
C.W.
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3-3.5ish. The start of a new fantasy trilogy about a giant forest and the hierarchies of its peoples and realms. Flowery, meandering at times, but half way through showed real promise. Full video review: https://youtu.be/Sd8L-mBsfps ...more
Cat
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the lush and deadly three-tiered treetop realm of Canopy, the soul enters the body at first breath and anyone might be chosen as the incarnation of a god or goddess.

Audblayinland is one of the thirteen sovereign Kingdom niches that comprise Canopy’s great city. But despite being sustained by birth goddess Audblayin’s power, Canopy is far from Eden. Society is harsh and controlling: slaves have sigils of obedience burned into their tongues, disobedience is punished by a draining of magic and o
Tehani
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian, fantasy
Proper review to follow, but TLDR: AMAZING and CHALLENGING and GORGEOUSLY, SUBTLY WRITTEN.
Stephanie
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The world of Crossroads of Canopy is utterly unique. In this world, people live in a forest of giant trees. Canopy is the highest and most privileged realm of the forest, and it is subdivided into thirteen Kingdoms, each one ruled over by a living god or goddess.

Unar is a resident of Canopy, living in Audblayinland, ruled over by the goddess Audblayin. When she is young, Unar becomes convinced that she is destined to become the Bodyguard of Audblayin, and works with single-minded purpose to ens
Rivqa
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The amazing thing about this book is that the wondrous setting - a magical, polytheistic society living in physical hierarchy in layers of rainforest - isn't even the best thing about it. As creative as the worldbuilding is here, the characters shine brighter. Unar, the protagonist, is entitled, selfish and jealous, and she is glorious. Naturally, her conflicts with the secondary characters drive a great deal of the story. Highly recommended, even for reluctant fantasy readers like me.

(DISCLAIME
Benjamin
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, first-reads
This a new fantasy with thirteen kingdoms and thirteen gods in a society living at the top of a giant forest. Very creative and inventive. Plus, I have a weakness for forests. I didn't entirely jive with the author's writing style, but on the whole it's a fairly good debut novel. I'll be checking out the next book for sure.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review, read-2016
Unar is a brave young woman, in that she leaves her parents (who wanted to sell her for food) and offers herself instead to the Gods, where, with her surprising amount of talent, becomes a Gardener in service to the God Audblayin. In this world where a God is female, they have male bodyguards and vice versa, and Unar hopes that her God will finally change genders (as she's been female for so very long), so that she may earn the chance to rise to the position of bodyguard.

However, through helping
imyril
I really wanted to like Crossroads of Canopy, but in the end I'm giving it up as a bad job. It's not a bad book per se, but it's not for me.

Canopy is a realm in the heights of the rainforest, protected by magical wards and nourished by living deities (who are reborn from time to time in different bodies). The Temples and the Kings protect it from the residents of the Understorey, who they enslave and abuse.

Unar is an ambitious, self-absorbed, selfish, short-tempered teenage acolyte in Audblayin
Dee
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I won the ARC in a GoodReads giveaway, which was very exciting, as it was a book I was looking forward to reading - a fellow Aussie (though not someone I know personally) writing something that looked different from the usual fantasy fare.

Different it is, and yet not-so-different at the same time: it's a magic-rich hero(ine)'s journey in a wondrous setting. The giant rainforest setting is beautifully realised, saturating and permeating the story. The magic is thick and intricate and important. A
Jacquelyn
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook, feminist-af, fantasy
I really loved this book. The prose, the worldbuilding, the mythology, all of it is simply gorgeous, but I most love Unar and the organic feminism.

Unar is stubborn. She's (sometimes foolishly) confident, and desperate to learn. In every situation, her first thoughts aren't despair or anger, but "So this is happening. How can I make it work for me?" Her adaptability saves her where others would fail, and when her worldview is shaken, she incorporates the nuances and complexities instead of fight
Kara
Dec 16, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNFing at 10%. I cannot stand the writing. It's awful. It will jump from one subject to another without any transitions to get there. This book has lost me so many times in the short number of pages that I've read.

I honestly was very interested in the premise and I was hoping this would be great, but the world-building is even hard to follow and there is SO much exposition. Too much.

Get me out of here!
Hesper
It would've been two stars, because concept, but then "fluid-filled places" made an appearance during a completely unsubstantiated by anything prior to it wlw love scene, and a really annoying child kept calling the almost as annoying main character "dank," and by then I just wanted this all to be a dank meme.
Liz
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed this, and looking forward to the second in the series. Interesting rules of magic in this world, and believable characters making realistic choices.
Eric
Apr 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't figure out what was going on and why I should care about anyone doing whatever it was they were up to.
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
I cannot figure out why I didn’t like this book. It has so much that would normally appeal to me – an inventive fantasy setting, a flawed female lead, a diverse cast – but I just could not get into it. I procrastinated on reading it quite a bit, and it felt like work to reach the end.

Unar lives in the Canopy, the part of the forest city closest to the sun and thus the most elite. However, she has to flee her destitute family when her parents plot to sell her into slavery. She finds a place as a
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Crossroads of Canopy is a debut novel which has some amazing worldbuilding and explores a number of social issues.

Unar is a servant to one of Canopy's thirteen deities, having come from poverty. Her escape from abuse and slavery had made her ambitious, helped by the fact she possesses a powerful potential for magic, and she firmly believes she's destined to be the Bodyguard to the next incarnation of her deity. She's not an entirely likeable character--she's impulsive, occasionally selfish and l
Brian Wright
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A tale full of magic, suspense, and wonder, does not leave up to its promise and potential.

At the highest level of a giant forest, thirteen kingdoms fit seamlessly together to form the great city of Canopy. Thirteen goddesses and gods rule this realm and are continuously reincarnated into human bodies. Canopy’s position in the sun, however, is not without its dark side. The nation’s opulence comes from the labor of slaves, and below its fruitful boughs are two other realms: Understorey and Floo
Kes
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2018
This book has to be applauded for its interesting worldbuilding.

The world of Canopy is divided into three: the Canopy, the Understory, and the Floor. Canopyians are the richest and they have thirteen gods and goddesses that are reborn (in varying genders). The story focuses on Unar, an ambitious girl who is determined to be the bodyguard of her goddess when she is reborn.

Unar's ability in magic is unsurpassed - and that lends her a definite arrogance. She thinks she knows best, and she's going t
Mike
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was one of those books that held my attention just enough to keep me coming back, even though I set it aside in favour of other amusements quite often. I think this was because, even though the setting (the upper branches of a tropical rainforest) was fascinating and well developed, I found the viewpoint character annoying for about 80% of the book.

It's a coming-of-age story, among other things, and so the main character is meant to be naive, meant to be pursuing unrealistic goals, meant t
Jenny T
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2017
This one started out promising -- an interesting system of magic in a unique setting: the entire world for our characters is made up of the branches of a rainforest. However, I found it hard to like any of the characters, and things escalated WAY too quickly. I was not a fan of the weird, depressing ending either.
Evan Jensen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I want to give this four stars and the last 30% or so might deserve that. But the first 70% is just so focused on such a dislikable, whiny, arrogrant character that I couldn't enjoy the story.

The world building is pretty cool overall.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Core Kirrik and Frog!!! Ugh 1 3 Jul 11, 2018 04:31PM
Is it just me? 2 13 Jul 11, 2018 04:22PM

• Bryony and Roses
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2)
  • The Incurable Romantic and Other Tales of Madness and Desire
  • The Belgariad, Vol. 1: Pawn of Prophecy / Queen of Sorcery / Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #1-3)
  • The Belgariad, Vol. Two: Castle of Wizardry / Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #4-5)
  • City of Lies (Poison Wars, #1)
  • Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2)
  • Feminism and Islamic Fundamentalism: The Limits of Postmodern Analysis
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • The Gallows Black (The Grave of Empires)
  • Court of Fives (Court of Fives, #1)
  • Riot Baby
  • Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist (Night's Dawn, #2)
  • The Dragon Hunter's Son
  • The Tiger's Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)

Titan's Forest (3 books)
  • Echoes of Understorey (Titan's Forest, #2)
  • Tides of the Titans (Titan's Forest, #3)