Start by marking “The Little Book of Life Hacks: How to Make Your Life Happier, Healthier, and More Beautiful” as Want to Read:

"A modern-day survival guide, Yumi's incredibly charming artwork and insights are endlessly engaging. An absolute gem of a book!" -Keiko Agena, award-winning actress on Gilmore Girls, Shameless, and Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Author, illustrator and comic book artist Yumi Sakugawa shares a wide range of useful and unexpected tips for looking and feeling better, streaml
Published May 2nd 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Life Hacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Life Hacks

Sheri
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Lots of great tips to make life easier, mostly by saving money or time. Due to the presentation of the material, I would say this is marketed to a younger adult crowd, particularly college-aged females. Busy pages are sometimes hard to read, but the style will most likely appeal to the younger crowd.
Morgan
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Allow me to sum up the majority of the "life hacks" (some of which are just common sense) found in this beautifully illustrated but painfully twee guide for millenials: vinegar and rose water. That's it. Just drench your body and all of your belongings in vinegar and rose water and you will achieve True Enlightenment. Also took issue with some of the "life hacks" that perpetuate the sneaky damaging tropes of diet culture/eating disorder mentality and behavior.
Stella Maria
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A perfect necessity for anyone living on their own!

Yumi Sakugawa’s illustrations portray life hacks in several simple steps from home remedies, facial masks, cooking tips, etc. Most self-help books are written as guidelines, but this book dares you to live healthy while still being quirky.

3.20 stars ✩✩✩
Anna Chenoweth
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Beautiful illustrations but the actual "life hacks" are pretty obvious.
Devyn
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book from Goodreads.

I debated on giving this book two stars... or three.
At first I was going to give this book two stars because, honestly, this book didn't fit my personality. This book's very girly, and I'm...not. It's filled with tips on how to make lipstick, put frills on shorts, face masks, how to host parties, and a bunch of other things that are unfortunately useless for someone like me who doesn't do any of those things.
There were two or three life tips in here that I fou
DayZee
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book was the cutest book I have had the privilege to read in a long time. The tips were spot on and the illustrations/drawings were very cute. I have seen some of the tips used before and I am actually looking forward to using a few others noted in this book.

The only con that I see concerning this book is that sometimes some of the tips were in a very small, quite tiny, writing/font. My vision is pretty good and even then I fo
Christiana
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-non-fic
This could be super cute to give as a graduation gift to somebody who is just beginning to live in your own but honestly, I just google all this stuff. Best page was "9 uses for Nutella". Also, someone at WPL please tell Lindsey Smith there is a page about how to wake up without caffeine because I like to roll my eyes about these informational pieces because CAFFEINE IS NOT DUPLICATABLE.
Jill
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as part of a giveaway, thanks to Goodreads and St. Martin's press for the opportunity. This would be the perfect present for either a high school or college graduate just starting out on their own. Beautiful illustrations and practical advice with tons of DIY make it the perfect reference book for life in general.
Megan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There are a lot of negative comments surrounding this book. I just have to say that some of us millennials might of been raised by older parents. I also never knew my grandparents because they all passed away when I was little. My mom worked first shift and dad worked third. I still feel like there’s a lot to learn, but books like this, that are visually appealing, help so much.
Kanyon
First I would like to thank Griffin Teen for an advanced reader’s copy of this book via a giveaway.

For those young adults just setting off into the world, The Little Book of Life Hacks: How to Make Your Life Happier, Healthier, and More Beautiful, is a perfect guide to have while navigating life. This book is filled with just about everything you can imagine. There are fun projects to do, tips on living healthier and more organized, and plenty of advice on living life to the fullest. There are a
Jenna
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like this book! It has a lot of useful tips for a lot of aspects of life, and I love the different drawings that accompany everything. I will definitely be reaching for this book in the future, which brings me to why it wasn't a 5-star.

I'm not a huge fan of the "dress for your body type" section; it's got some overall good fashion advice, but I don't think that people should be dissuaded from dressing however they want; there's a bit of backpedaling in which there is a tip that says to
Mary McDonough
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paper-book
This is a useful, realistic, upbeat book about living. The many illustrations convey a sense of peace and joy even while some of the advice is for people handling social anxiety. Many self-help books erase lots of kinds of people. This one is not like that, IMHO.

If you wonder how to throw a party, how to decorate a small space on limited funds, or how to do some real self-care, this is a great book to pick up.

Today we had the Nutella and banana Popsicles! Genius! I also enjoyed the facial mass
Kelcey
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good book with some good tips and tricks for easier, cheaper or different ways of doing things. Many of these were things I already knew or things that I didn't care about, but a few gems in the rough are better than none.
I also wasn't in love with the illustrations and text. It was sometimes difficult to read/see what was being illustrated or explained.
Fun to look at once, but I wouldn't buy it.
Roxanne
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I won an advanced uncorrected proof from Goodreads.

While the actual content of the book is very helpful, I did not care for how the book was put together. The graphics and lettering/font was not pleasing to the eye. I hope the finished copy is of a better style.

Lots of beneficial information for younger adults who would actually read the book.

Would make a great gift to a college graduate.
Brian
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this very light book of life hacks, a woman tells us some secrets to living better. Some of these include home remedies for issues such as sunburns, headaches. Other sections include socialization tips, recipes, makeup tips etc. A lot of the stuff in this book did not apply to me, but the book was well done and a nice pleasure to read.
FemYoga Taylor
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you know me, you know I love practical books. This is exactly that. Tons of DIY suggestions from hair care to cooking tricks - and beyond. I’ve noted at least 13 different things I’ll be trying in the near future - most of which will be broadcasted live on pscp.tv/femyoga - I’m excited!!!

One interesting example - putting an avocado on your hair as shine treatment! Let's try it!
Kristina
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very cute book with lots of the author's signature hand-drawn illustrations. It was too "busy" for me, but my teenage son thought it was great! Many useful tips but the overall look turned out not to work for me. Would certainly recommend to those who enjoy a fun and visual learning style.
MariNaomi
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
I can look at this all day.
Kelly Davis
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute and easy to read. Definitely appears written for and by millennials. Fun little tips from self care to laundry to cooking. Learned a few new things myself.
Ash
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I saw this circulating around at my work and thought to give it a try. Unfortunately I loved the illustrations much more than the content.
Davina
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I was seduced by the charming illustrations in this self help book, but the actual advice was either obvious or absurd and can essentially be distilled down to one word: vinegar. Of particular amusement was the section on socializing - which went so far as to advise you on the optimal level of eye contact you should maintain with someone you're chit chatting with at a party. Cringe. I also agree with another reviewer who pointed out that some of the dieting hacks felt like something you'd read o ...more
Carly
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing special or new, but the illustrations are very pretty.
Beth
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very few things I didn't know. Told with reasonably charming cartoons and text. Best for people who haven't already found life hacks from other books or on the Internet (Pinterest, etc.)
Jen
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Truthfully, I read this just for the illustrations. The "hacks" were all kinda ridiculous but man, the art was so cute.
Lynne
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute.
Definitely too twee for my taste. If you're going to make claims that such-and-such has xx impact on your bodily functions/skin/hair/etc, please back it up with WHY. I'm not a fan of BS, and this book seems full of it, without any statements of proof, an index, any references or, well, anything by way of research. I don't know about you, but if I'm going smash a damn avocado on my hair, thereby wasting money, food, and time (not to mention cleaning up the resultant mess), I need proof of WHY it ...more
Genevieve
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through Goodreads. I loved this how to book, especially since it has illustrations! It has awesome tips in all areas of my daily life, many of which I will use. It has a permanent home on my coffee table to refer to when I need it!
Adrienne S
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This is a really cute book, I’ll give it that. I absolutely love the cover design as well as the artwork throughout the book – I think Yumi Sakugawa really has a talent for illustration.

Although I did enjoy this book, I did only give it four stars instead of five. Why? I just had way too high expectations for it, I think. It just looked so great and cute that it left a lot to be desired when I was done with it.

Overall, I do still recommend this book even though I couldn’t give it a full five sta
Lynsy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a lovely little book. I would give it 4 stars because it has more information on cooking than I'd like, but I can't really detract from my review for that. I felt so happy reading this, and I'm going to buy a copy, even though I got this from the library, because I know I'm going to reference it often. The best way I can describe this is that it's Pinterest in a book. And it's wonderful.

Read the review on my blog here.
Marcia
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, self-help, crafts
A fun illustrated guide to life for teens and young adults. Tons of tips from beauty to decorating, all illustrated with cute little drawings in the Japanese style.
California-based comic artist and illustrator Yumi Sakugawa's work has featured everything from lonely one-eyed monsters to an ode to The Baby-Sitters Club character Claudia Kishi. Her off-beat comics that explore the trials and tribulations of human interaction have been featured in Sadie Magazine and The Rumpus and her comic zine Mundane Fortunes for the Next Ten Billion Years And Other Stories ...more