Start by marking “Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity” as Want to Read:
Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity

Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity

From the time we learn to speak, we’re told that if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. While this advice may work for everyday life, it is, as Kim Scott has seen, a disaster when adopted by managers.

Scott earned her stripes as a highly successful manager at Google and then decamped to Apple, where she developed a class on optimal management. Sh
Published March 14th 2017 by St. Martin's Press

Luke Duncan
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
As I worked my way through this book I wanted to hate it. It had enough of the grating Silicon Valley meets Ted talk tropes to assume it lacked substance. Name dropping of personal relationships with Larry Page and Sheryl Sandburg? Check. Quoting Steve Jobs and Fred Kofman? Check. Simplistic diagrams with arrows and what feels like modern Clip Art? Check.

But as much as I wanted to hate the book, it actually has solid substance. I've seen many of the practices discussed in the book used in person
Ross Blocher
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Radical Candor is written for managers/bosses, but I'd recommend it for anyone in the workplace. Kim Scott's observations have wide application, and do a great job of prioritizing the need to treat everyone as a human being first-and-foremost. The title (as the cover image suggests) refers to the ideal quadrant on a chart with two axes: "care personally" and "challenge directly". It is important to care about the people you work with, but easy to let that care stifle the need to be honest with t ...more
Dean Hachamovitch
I wish I had a time machine to send this book with a heartfelt “please read” note back in time to myself and to leaders, colleagues, and teams I worked with over the years.

Kim’s book offers an approach, mental models, and a point of view that are useful, practical, and applicable for bosses and teams. (Typically I’d say leaders or managers; I’m reflecting her language here out of respect.)

Her writing and approach demonstrate strong awareness of the challenges inherent in this topic: the range o
Jaclyn Day
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Overly-repetitive business books are the hill I'm dying on now, I guess. Per most books in the genre, the best is always saved for last. In this case, the final three chapters are the most valuable and actionable.
Willian Molinari
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, doist, non-fiction
A book every boss should read. It helps to create a culture of giving and receiving honest feedback and create great teams. It has many truths, you will notice many of them if you're working for a big company. You may not agree with some parts of it depending on how you see work and people but if you really care about people careers and the performance of your team it makes a lot of sense.

Here are my notes about this book:

* At apple, we hire people to tell us what to do, not the other way around
Daniel Hrenak
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Musieť čítať" nielen pre manažment, ale pre každého zamestnanca, ktorý sa chce v práci cítiť lepšie a chce, aby ho to tam bavilo. Lebo vo výsledku je všetko také, aké si urobíme my.
Bill
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No time for a full review right now. Suffice it to say "Radical Candor" is one of the best books I've ever read about the science or art of managing people and teams. I started reading because of the radical candor approach to providing praise and criticism, and was amazed how the book covers so many aspects of day-to-day managing,

Highly recommended!!!
Peter Yang
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, minus one star for all the name dropping.
Takeaways:
1. Radical candor = Care personally + challenge directly
2. Care personally starts with career discussions and good 1:1s
3. Challenge directly starts with asking for and taking criticism well yourself
4. Listen -> Clarify -> Debate -> Decide -> Persuade -> Learn, in that order
Diego Eis
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Building trust in any relationship takes time because trust is built on a consistent pattern of acting in good faith."

Unir um time é algo difícil. A maioria dos gestores que conheço, principalmente os C-Levels, ficam preocupados em estabelecer uma cultura na empresa toda. Mas uma cultura não se impõe, ela é orgânica. A forma como os integrantes do time se relacionam é como a cultura se espalha pela empresa inteira. Mas para que as pessoas se relacionem melhor, é necessário que os chefes, gestor
Irina Stanescu
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book about management! Some new concepts and some heavily inspired from the Google management culture, which I've been fortunate enough to witness (and be part of for a brief period).
The key takeaway for me was learning how to move up on the "challenging directly" scale, while still "caring personally". Give people both praise and criticism as often as possible, don't wait for a perf cycle to come, and don't wait for them to ask for feedback. Same thing applies for asking for feedback. The
Vlad
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
There's a lot of good content here. But the author's advice isn't always consistent with the stated ideals. For example, there are many suggestions that sound like servant leadership, and many of these are solid and awesome. But there are as many or more pieces of advice advocating for a top-down, hierarchical style of management, including the author's frequent use of constructions such as "soandso reported to me" and "I had 100 people reporting to me," and so on.

I found this inconsistency puz
Amy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Katherine
Giving and receiving criticism are two of the most difficult parts of being a boss. This book takes that reality and addresses it head on. I really, really enjoyed and appreciated it. It is somewhat niche as the author's main case studies come from Google, Apple, and Twitter. However, a lot of the principles she mention carry over into every day life. Even as someone not currently managing people I found a lot of her principles just good advice for every day relationships.
One thing I particular
KJ Grow
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I heard this author speak at a conference and thought her presentation was compelling, especially as I am someone who has a tendency toward the "ruinous empathy" realm and struggles with challenging directly. I read this book right before our annual performance review cycle and ended up having some of the most productive, illuminating conversations with my direct reports I've ever had. I really appreciated that the anecdotes and examples in the book were personal and real-world, not the fuzzy, u ...more
Nikolay
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most versatile, yet simplest management book I’ve read. The main strategy is to put the relationships with the people you work with first – try to be clearer with them and care more.

In addition to the grand strategy of “challenge directly and care personally” the specific tactics Kim Scott offered made a lot of sense and in the months after finishing the book I’ve tried many of them with mild to great success.

Courtney
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best business book that I have ever read. It simply validated my
thoughts on management and I like when books reaffirm my beliefs. Haha. I truly believe that every boss needs to read this. It's a game changer.
Michael McCain
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
"Here's what Google and Apple do. Also Twitter. I don't know anybody at Facebook"
Colin Gooding
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I already knew a lot of the main talking points here from co-workers and I like to think that I'm both empathetic and honest in my conversations with others already, but the book has a lot of little tips on how to be more constructive with feedback without being mean and highlights a lot of a good examples of how to use Radical Candor in different situations.

Kim Scott has had an interesting career, working for several different high profile companies, so it's interesting to hear her perspective
Nay Keppler
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO great. Even though many of the examples are taken from companies like Google and Apple and Silicon Valley startups, the concepts and activities are completely applicable in most workplaces. I would HIGHLY recommend this to new supervisors, long-standing supervisors, folks aspiring to be supervisors, and even folks who just want to learn better communication skills. I will certainly be working to be radically candid from here on out.
Paige
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The central concept/framework is gold. I'm giving it five stars pretty much just for that one chapter. I also really appreciated how extensive the "how-to" section was - half the book! Love the focus on actually changing behavior.

I didn't love everything about this book, but now that I'm done with the library copy I'm ordering one for myself. So that's an automatic five stars.
Jen Greseth
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Great content, and I happen to agree wholeheartedly with most of what the author advocates. There are some practical tools here that would definitely generate great discussions... I'll take some of it to my own leadership team. That said, this could have been an article. And - as has been previously mentioned - there's a ton of self-congratulation and name dropping in this book.
Nathaniel
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book over a year ago, but I didn't get the notes I took transcribed into Evernote until today, so my overall memory / impressions are hazy, but I do have some specific reminders of the book.

One of the things that I liked the most about it was that I really like hearing from people who have worked hard in practical jobs. Too much of our conversation and impression about modern life is driven by precisely the people who know the least about it: academics and creatives. Academics work h
Ethan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: backburner
Fav quote on feedback: “You need to do that in a way that does not call into question your confidence in their abilities but leaves not too much room for interpretation … and that’s a hard thing to do.” - Jobs
Cathy Sites
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Part of me wants to give this 3 stars, and I am glad that I finished this book - mainly because I am glad to be finished with this book! A weirdly tough read that I could only read small amounts at a time, and I almost gave up on it when she wanted to hire her babysitter to work at Google (far too reminiscent of "Nanny-Gate" for those who have worked where I have previously - you know what I am talking about - the author casts herself as "one of those" people. Maybe a boss, but not a leader).

Th
Shelly
Jun 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
What to say about this book? I didn't enjoy it. Not. One. Bit. I stopped reading it for quite some time, but I had to finish it for a corporate book club. For clarity, that was the ONLY REASON why I finished it. This is a giant book of 8 chapters, three of which just re-hash, revisit, and repeat the first 3 chapters as if the reader had no short term memory and required another briefing of the subjects covered.

A boss is a boss, a manager is a manager, and while it's true no one wants to work fo
RJ
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Teamwork depends on communication. Alignment, autonomy, and accountability—the building blocks of happy, productive teams—won’t happen without it. Nor will useful feedback, or personnel conversations that are anything more than downright uncomfortable. Small surprise, then, that Kim Scott’s Radical Candor measures managers by their ability to share timely, direct criticism, and devotes its bulk to helping them deliver.

The first rule of Radical Candor is to “care personally.” Readers won’t need S
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Listened to the audiobook narrated by the author.
As an audiobook, I think a professional narrator might have been better.
I get that Kim does a lot of public speaking, but there is something about her voice that just came across as whiny throughout the book. Even knowing the content first-hand, it sounded like a reading.

The book started of pretty well, and the concept of radical candor getting explained was intriguing.
But from about half way it becomes a bit of a drag. Repeating things and steeri
Veselin Nikolov
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kim Scott offers a toolset for managing teams. The fundamental idea in the book - to be clear, not mean is simple, but it covers a lot more than that. The toolset is backed by experience and good examples, not by concrete science. I'd usually take this approach with a grain of salt but it resonated with my own experience and some problems I encountered and struggled with. Kim Scott has achieved a lot with her approach and we can learn from her success.

My biggest take is about clarity and relatio
Julie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting and difficult read, wish they had something like this for education.
Beth Hatch
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite chapters are 6 through 8 where Scott gives very practical and detailed instructions on having conversations with your staff in one on ones, meetings, and soliciting feedback. I now fully understand and can appreciate the necessity of giving and receiving candid, direct feedback.
I definitely have an easier time with the former and less with the latter. Definitely a goal for me.

I also like that she addresses that what might work in one organization may not work in another - her exampl
Matt McAlear
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible read with a ton of great takeaways!

A few takeaways for me:
- Love her four quadrant analogy (manipulative insincerity, ruinous empathy, obnoxious aggression, and Radical Candor being the pinnacle).
- I love the perspective that giving honest, respectful, and sometimes difficult feedback is actually the caring thing to do. Not doing so would ultimately be to the demise of the person & potentially their career.
- It's better to have a hole than an asshole (on the team).
- Management f
Goodreads Librari...: Please add "cover" for Radical Candor audio book 3 13 Sep 16, 2018 10:46PM
Goodreads Librari...: Radical Candor Author 3 17 Jun 07, 2017 07:52AM
  • Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • Implementing Beyond Budgeting: Unlocking the Performance Potential
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Leadership BS: Fixing Workplaces and Careers One Truth at a Time
  • The Effective Manager
  • Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Demystifying Public Speaking
  • Under New Management: How Leading Organizations Are Upending Business as Usual
  • An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Outward Mindset: Seeing Beyond Ourselves
Kim Scott is the author of Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity. Kim is also the co-founder and CEO of Candor, Inc., which builds tools to make it easier to follow the advice she offers in the book. She is also the author of three novels.

Prior to founding Candor, Inc., Kim was a CEO coach at Dropbox, Qualtrics, Twitter, and several other Silicon Valley companies. She was
“Make sure that you are seeing each person on your team with fresh eyes every day. People evolve, and so your relationships must evolve with them. Care personally; don’t put people in boxes and leave them there.” 4 likes
“A good rule of thumb for any relationship is to leave three unimportant things unsaid each day.” 3 likes