Start by marking “The Outsider” as Want to Read:
The Outsider

The Outsider

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  295 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
“THE OUTSIDER is as authentic and suspenseful as any John Grisham novel—and I like Grisham a lot.”—JAMES PATTERSON

A young law clerk finds himself caught in the crosshairs of a serial killer in this breathtaking thriller set in the high-pressure world of the Supreme Court, from renowned lawyer Anthony Franze.

Things aren’t going well for Grayson Hernandez. He just graduated
Published March 21st 2017 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Outsider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outsider

Matt
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Yet another powerful legal thriller by Anthony Franze that left me rushing to review it. This novel pulls readers into a story that centres around the U.S. Supreme Court in all its glory. After graduating from a fourth-tier law school and saddled with enormous debts, Grayson 'Gray' Hernandez was lucky enough to secure a job as a Messenger within the U.S. Supreme Court. While he has always aspired to argue before the nine Justices, he finds pleasure in being able to surround himself with the hist ...more
Kathi Defranc
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about a new lawyer working as a messenger at the Supreme Court, until a mugging happens to a Chief Justice, to which this young man,Grayson Hernandez, responds. This starts a friendship with the Justice that gets him in as a law clerk with new suits and a place to stay. Interesting...At the same time strange murders are happening on the fifth of every month,which date coincides with the attempted mugging. The FBI are trying to figure out what is going on, while Gra ...more
Kathleen
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Outsider, author Anthony Franze utilizes his legal knowledge and position as a Washington D.C. attorney with Appellate and Supreme Court experience, to weave a riveting legal thriller that takes the reader behind the scenes into the inner workings of the United States Supreme Court.

From its gritty dark beginning to climatic ending, The Outsider is an action packed and fast paced gripping tale that follows Supreme Court messenger turned law clerk Grayson Hernandez as he tries to help the
Cheryl
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first taste of what Mr. Franze offers as an writer. I have to say that I liked what I read. This is an impressive read and Mr. Franze has a new fan in me.

Instantly, I was hooked from the first page until the very last page. What do you get when you mix it with a strong storyline, engaging characters, high stakes, and twists you get the end result that is the Outsider! This book is a top contender for best book for 2017.

Gray may have been set up as the perfect patsy but he was not goi
Jill
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This legal thriller was intellectually stimulating, well-paced, and sufficiently suspenseful to keep me riveted.

There are a number of underlying themes. One is a series of unsolved, ongoing murders that seem tangentially related to the Supreme Court. A second is the book The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, to which there are a number of references. The main character in this book, Grayson “Gray” Hernandez, evokes one of the protagonists of The Outsiders. And on a meta level, there is also the theme of
Ariana Fae
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Franze didn’t disappoint me with his third novel THE OUTSIDER. From the first page he captured my attention and held it to the last sentence in the book.

I resonated with the protagonist Grayson Hernandez, who is not only an outsider but from humble beginnings. Franze did a wonderful job of capturing Grayson trying to chase his dreams, fit into a world he thinks he wants, and showing the obstacles he has to face to achieve them.

The story is full of suspense, mystery, and quite a few twist
Michelle
A perfectly OK book that I predict I won't remember in three weeks. For much of the book, I could have sworn I had already read it or seen a movie version. Turns out no -- it's just super predictable and full of mystery novel clichés. Great for the beach or any other time you don't want to have to think too much.

NOTE: After completing this review, I read others and found I'm in the vast minority. Most readers found this book to be all kinds of riveting. Hmmmm. Go figure.
Joan
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this well crafted legal thriller. The characters were engaging, the plot was captivating, and the action suspenseful.

The novel centers around Grayson, a young lawyer who, through a quirky experience, saved the life of the Chief Justice. In thanks, the justice has Grayson come on staff as a clerk. He is an outsider, not having gone to a prestigious law school. The attempt on the justice may have been the act of a serial killer and Grayson is asked to work with the FBI. They want hi
iamnotabookworm
I give this 4.5/5 envelopes.

It has been quite a while since I last read a legal thriller. I enjoy the works of John Grisham, Scott Turrow and Grif Stockley. This is my first time to read a work of Anthony Franze. So far, it has been very engrossing just like the works of the three authors I have mentioned. Franze is a lawyer himself, so it's just obvious and to be expected that his expertise and experiences as a lawyer are very imminent in his writing.

The plot is intricately planned and laid ou
Alex Carbo
3.75 star
This is your classic Whodunnit novel. Franze doesn't reinvent the wheel here but he does a good job at keeping the reader on edge. Although there are a few clichés and the novel stays comfortably in the "Mystery-Crime-Legal thriller" box, I did enjoy that novel.
It's also, like its predecessor, the kind of legal thriller that isn't, thanks to John Grisham who leads a pack of talented legal thriller writers who now only give their protagonists a job as a lawyer. End of the legal part of
Ariana Fae
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The story is full of suspense, mystery, and quite a few twis
Ms. Just One More Book  (Kris Miller)
Look out, Grisham and Turow. There’s a new master of legal thrills in town!

Grayson Hernandez, Gray, a recent graduate of law school––an outsider of Hispanic heritage from the rough side of DC and resented by his Ivy League peers––is offered his dream job as a Supreme Court law clerk after saving the life of a Chief Justice. Just as Gray settles into his new life, the FBI come knocking. They believe there's a serial killer connected with the Supreme Court, and they want Gray to be their inside ma
Sandie
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Grayson Hernadez has come a long way but not as far as he dreams of. Born in a poor neighborhood, he has fought his way out and become a lawyer. Not an Ivy League lawyer, but a graduate of a city university with no prestige. Instead of job offers at big-name law firms, the best job he could find was as a messenger in the Supreme Court. Gray is thrilled to be there as he always idolized everything about the Court, but it hurts to be in a menial position while others his same age are chosen to wor ...more
Sharman Bingham
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Anthony Franze book, and I’m very impressed. He’s definitely an inside-the-Beltway guy, who seems to know DC environs very well. I really appreciated his appendix with all his sources. I will take him up on his insistence that every citizen visit the Supreme Court when in Washington DC.
James Hong
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a good read, at some points, I'm earger to know what would happen to Gray. However, some of the plot twists are unnecessary, and sometimes I think Gray is way too stupid to act the way that I don't think a smart clerk should have.
Maggie Holmes
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm on vacation, so I read this book really quickly. Also, I'm a bit of a Supreme Court junkie. Sitting in on a session at the Supreme Court was the highlight of my fall trip to DC.
This is a legal thriller in only a small part: Lawyers are involved, the crimes wouldn't have happened if an original criminal hadn't gotten away on a technicality, and you learn about SC clerks.
Really this is a serial killer thriller/mystery. The killer leaves clues for whoever is looking -- and the fact that
Pat Malon
I enjoyed this book, hope to read more from this author.
Thomas Bruso
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony Franze’s thrilling standalone “The Outsider” is a high-tension political page-turner.

Grayson Hernandez has graduated from a fourth-tier law school and is looking for work to help pay off his mounting debt. The only job he can find is writing opinion papers for Supreme Court cases.

It may not be the most exciting work, but Grayson learns about the inner workings of the highest order as he watches an elite group of lawyers serve as the justices’ law clerks, debating and fighting for importa
Tara
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoughts still to come....
Sheila
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You'd think that placing a story in the Supreme Court would give you a chance to examine some of the pressing issues of today, and that having a Latino protagonist could add depth to the conflict, but the story relies on the cliche of the good boy who escapes the hood (a fictional hood that resembles the setting of "The Wire"). So cultural diversity ends up being window dressing that only reinforces racist stereotypes. 99% of white writers, I have found, even liberal ones like Mr. Franze appears ...more
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JUNE 5, 2017
Narrator: Robert Petkoff

For 3/4 of the book, I thought this would go down as the worst book I've read this year. It picked up and got serious about the plot instead of showing off how much the author knows about DC's halls of justice but too little, too late, as they say.

It's a pity because this one had a better murder plot than the earlier book I just finished, The Advocate's Daughter but rather poorly written. You'd think the author self-published this, with no
Peacejanz
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Franze is an attorney in DC and he has practiced before the Supreme Court. That is important to this thriller -- his main character works at the Supreme Court. As usual, Franze writes well and the book is fast moving. You will stay up late because one chapter leads right into another. Can't put it down. The protagonist is an attorney with a degree from a "lesser" school. By accident, he is nearby when the Chief Justice is attacked and he helps get rid of the attacker. The Chief Justice takes not ...more
Jay
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
The back blurb compares this to a John Grisham novel, which was overselling it in my opinion. The premise is unbelievable, but I knew that going in. My problem was moreso that the plot was so predictable. I actually skipped a rather large chunk in the middle because I thought I knew who the killer was. I jumped back in reading once it turned out that person was dead, so at least there was one plot twist I wasn't expecting. The last 10% was interesting in the way most thrillers are interesting at ...more
Bonnie Lynn
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Outsider" by Anthony Franze, author of "The Advocate's Daughter". Grayson Hernandez is the hopeful, young protagonist who is approached by an FBI agent requesting his help. He is an idealistic, inancially-burdened recent law school graduate with no ties to anyone within the Court complex; therefore, she believes Gray to be perfectly positioned to provide inside information that might help solve several Washington D.C. murder cases.

"The story was well paced. The protagon
Anne
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jon Nielson
Who are the people giving this books 5 stars? I gave it no stars and it may be the worst book I've ever read. It's as if an author was given a dare to take the plot points from books he had on hand and forced to write a book. Cliché after cliché after cliché. It had the young poor kid who succeeded; a girl he grew up with who everyone saw as beautiful, but she was just his friend; the mean kid who killed people, but had the softest heart; the divorced FBI agent who solves the case at the last se ...more
Garland Public Library
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tate
AMAZING from start to finish. This suspense will keep you going the entire time and you will not be able to put it down. One of the best novels I have ever read. I have recently discovered Anthony Franze and I absolutely love his books. Such an amazing writer that keeps you intrigued throughout and wanting more and more. Such a great book. Love it!
Darren
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge thriller fan, so I'm probably not the target audience.

I liked the setting of the Supreme Court immensely, and the friendship of the 3 amigos. The story was generally interesting, although I figured out the main villain(s) a long time before the protagonist.

I thought the protagonist kept making very stupid decisions, and it made me wonder how he got through law school.
Tessa Varon
fast-paced thriller that could easily be turned into a movie. The twists at the end were surprising - not everyone is who you think they are. The author explained how the twist came about clearly and understandably for the most part. The action was a little over the top, but it made the story enjoyable.
Sherry
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book. This is a mystery set in the Supreme Court and entangles the Chief Justice and two other justices. The author is a lawyer and includes a good deal of information about what it is like to work in the Supreme Court with a good story involving somewhat horrific cases and the potential fall out from how the law handles legal issues.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
ANTHONY FRANZE is a lawyer in the Appellate and Supreme Court practice of a prominent Washington, D.C. law firm, and a critically acclaimed thriller writer with novels set in the nation’s highest court. He is a board member and a Vice President of the International Thriller Writers organization.

Learn more at http://www.anthonyfranzebooks.com/
More about Anthony Franze

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Mystic River
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Hard Goodbye (Frank Miller's Sin City, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • The Dinner
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)
  • The Secret in Their Eyes
  • Snow Falling on Cedars
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Absolute Power
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Instinct (previously published as Murder Games)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)