Start by marking “Of Books and Bagpipes (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Of Books and Bagpipes (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #2)

Of Books and Bagpipes

(Scottish Bookshop Mystery #2)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  937 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
Delaney Nichols has settled so comfortably into her new life in Edinburgh that she truly feels it’s become more home than her once beloved Kansas. Her job at the Cracked Spine, a bookshop that specializes in rare manuscripts as well as other sundry valuable historical objects, is everything she had dreamed, with her new boss, Edwin MacAlister, entrusting her more and more ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Of Books and Bagpipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Books and Bagpipes

Darinda
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
While on a secret mission for her boss, Delaney comes across a dead body. The body belongs to the man she was supposed to meet, and stashed nearby is the comic Delaney was meeting him about. That's just the beginning of Delaney's newest sleuthing adventure.

The 2nd book in the Scottish Bookshop mystery series. Love the setting and the characters. A light and fun cozy mystery. Enjoyable series.
Mystereity Reviews
I enjoyed this mix of intrigue, mystery, long ago secrets and murder. Lots of threads for Delaney to untangle, from an unfortunate incident 50 years ago involving Edwin and his university friends to a murder of a William Wallace reenactor. I loved the sights and sounds of Edinburgh and old castles, it was just like being there. The plot kept a decent pace, and there was a lot for Delaney to figure out and the exciting ending left me with raised eyebrows. With all of the red herrings and plot twi ...more
Linda
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Fresh and original; mesmerizing and haunting.**

Delaney Nichols, from Kansas in America, has moved to Scotland and settled in working at a rare book and manuscript shop owned by the wealthy, mysterious Edwin MacAlister. Her fellow employees, Rosie (with her Yorkie, Hector) and Hamlet; and protective cab driver, Elias and his wife, Aggie; have taken her under their wings like a surrogate family.

Edwin often sends Delaney on secretive rendezvous in regards to his valuable purchases. At a dark, da
Patrizia
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Altro buon viaggio a Edimburgo e in un castello diroccato nei suoi dintorni: mi è venuta voglia di tornare in quella città per la terza volta in poco più di un decennio!
Kirsten
Much better than book #1. The mystery was more engaging and the characters more fleshed out. I do wonder how many skeletons Edwin has in his closet. Every charater that dies seems to have a connection to him and he's always asking Delaney to lie to the police.

But, like I said, I liked this one much better. It is humorous and the mystery is well crafted.
Jessica Robbins
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own-kindle
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
QNPoohBear
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Delaney Nichols has settled into her new life in Edinburgh. She loved The Cracked Spine and her new Scottish family, the research job and the treasures. She especially likes her boyfriend Tom, despite his reputation as a heartbreaker. Delaney is excited to go on a mysterious errand for Edwin at an old castle. Scotland + castle + rare books? = YES! Her friend Elias isn't so sure and insists on accompanying her. Delaney feels Elias is a wee bit overprotective but when she stumbles across a dead bo ...more
Lorraine
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Scotland and bookshops.
So happy to read about Delaney (from Kansas) Edwin, Hamlet, & Rosie who work at The Cracked Spine, a bookshop in Edinburgh, Scotland again I have missed them! Paige Shelton’s Of Books and Bagpipes (A Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #2) once again takes me to one of my favorite places, Edinburgh. Delaney is on a mission for Edwin so she and Elias ride in Elias’ cab out to Castle Doune to retrieve a ‘hard-to-find’ edition of Oor Willie, an ‘old Scottish comic’. As Delaney and Elias trek to the top ...more
Karen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Scottish Bookshop Mysteries and a wonderful follow up at that. First of all being set in Scotland is something that I very much enjoyed, never being there myself as an armchair traveler I fully enjoyed the imagery that Paige created. The mystery and the history sucked me in and it was a very intricately woven tale. I did not have it figured out which I truly enjoyed and I loved main character Delaney even more with each word, situation and chapter. Delaney is brave ...more
Kristina
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, cozy-mysteries
Of Books and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton is the second book in A Scottish Bookshop Mystery series. Delaney Nichols works at The Cracked Spine in Edinburgh, Scotland. Her boss, Edwin MacAlister has sent her on a special errand to Castle Doune to pick up a rare copy of Oor Wullie (an old Scottish comic). Delaney only knows that her contact will be in costume. She is driven by friend and landlord, Elias (also a cabdriver) who wishes to keep Delaney safe while on this errand. Delaney is looking around ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Author Paige Shelton continues to prove what a talented writer she is.

OF BOOKS AND BAGPIPES is a book filled cover to cover with mystery, drama, intrigue, and even history (Readers will learn about William Wallace, a Scottish Knight). A well told story that reminded me of the mysteries of old. Even starts off with a castle!

I’ve become so attached to lead character Delaney Nichols and the rest of the group of the Cracked Spine and the surrounding town. I look forward to the next installment and
Fred
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Of Books And Bagpipes is the second book in the A Scottish Bookshop Mystery series.

I really love this series that is set in Edinburgh, Scotland. The reader is able to virtually travel about the city of Edinburgh and it’s old castles. Also, the reader will learn more about the life of William Wallace as the story centers around William Wallace reenactors.

Delaney Nichols has been asked by her employer, Edwin MacAlister to meet someone at Doune Castle, only informed as to what the man will be weari
FangirlNation
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Books: They’re definitely the stuff of magic.”

In Of Books and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton, Delany Nichols has settled into her home and job at a bookstore that deals in rare books and other items in Edinburgh after she moved to Scotland from Kansas. Her boss, Edwin, has sent her to pick up a collection of the Oor Wullie comic strips from 1948. She is to meet a William Wallace reenactor at the Castle Doune to get the rare and valuable collection of a Scottish comic strip. But when she arrives with
Mary
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was better than the first!

This book was very much more than the first one. There was a bigger mystery,well written and more intrigue.

The book started as the first one left off. The intrigue was more so in this one. More characters than the first one.

Totally ready for the next in the series!
Lesa
Deb
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't read the first book but don't think I really missed out on anything. This one stood on it's own for the most part. Was an easy read, writing style was simple. Wasn't a huge mystery to try to solve. The setting in Scotland was nice and I learned a little about William Wallace. Over all, it was good, not the "I could't put it down" kind of book, but still a decent story.
Jay
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Scottish Bookshop Mystery series finds Delaney Nichols settled into her job at the Cracked Spine bookshop. She's adjusting to the changes in her life nicely. She's made friends, found herself a fellow and is enjoying her work.

But when tasked to go to a secret meeting to pick up a copy of an old Scottish comic strip collection, she stumbles across the body of a man. As it turns out, the man she was supposed to be meeting.

This meeting was at the behest of her employer, Edwin
Cynthia Egbert
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Again, a wildly disjointed mystery that really doesn't have the flow I appreciate but I still love the setting and so I will keep reading. The characters remain rather doltish but in a sweet way so I can muddle through. A warning: one really has to suspend belief to follow this one through. The only quote I marked in this one is from another author "Only after a person has their heart broken does the world appear as it truly is." -Michael Gilbert.
AngryGreyCat
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Of Books and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton is the second book in the Scottish Bookshop Mystery series. Delaney is dropped into a mystery at the very beginning as a pickup for a new item for the shop goes awry when her connection is found dead. The young man has a personal connection to Edwin, Delaney’s boss and owner of the shop, and to a circle of Edwin’s friends. Delaney investigates with the help of her landlord Elias and her romantic interest Tom. Exceptionally good sense of place developed here ...more
Joy Gerbode
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series of books. The Scottish accents, the descriptions of Edinburgh and surrounding area, and the general Scottish information is all very fascinating. The bookstore, and the antiquities, add an extra special flavor for me. And the touch of magic just makes them absolutely wonderful. The characters are quite real, and well developed. The mystery is always a mystery ... I never have them figured out. Although I have quite a list of suspects ... the true murderer always see ...more
Pamela
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Good second addition to the Scottish Bookshop series. Delaney goes to an historic castle to pick up a purchase made by her employer, Edwin - owner of the bookstore. What she finds instead is a dead re-enactor who is the son of a deceased friend of Edwin. During her snooping, she uncovers long buried secrets from Edwin's past.
Linda Smatzny
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this story, Delaney Nichols has settled into her job at the Cracked Spine in Edinburgh. Her boss, Edwin, has asked her to meet a man and get a hard to find edition of a Scottish comic. When she and her landlord arrive they discover a body. From then on the book is all about secrets especially ones that happened years earlier. Delaney is very much into mysteries and discovering truths. The book was a quick easy read.
Linnea
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-in-series
Enjoyed how the culture and the characters mingled.
Clara  Baker Baldwin
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Might have been a bit repetitive, but still a good cozy mystery! I'll add the next one to the list.

Becky
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Besides the setting, one of the things I like about this series is that the amateur works well with the police. This tale of impersonators and an old comic book was quite interesting.
Annette
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Friends
Recommended to Annette by: Dru’s Musings Blog
This is such an interesting series. After reading these books, I always feel like going to Scotland.
Chris
Pretty good mystery series about an American archivist who moves to Edinburgh to work in a very unusual bookstore. I'm having a bit of trouble suspending my disbelief at the amateur sleuth angle in this series and am concerned about spraining an eyeball from all the eye rolling I've been doing.
Mei-Ling
just can't get into this one for some reason.
Kimberly
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I hoped the series might improve with the second book, but that was not the case. This should have all the elements of a great, fun, cozy mystery. Somehow, it just did not grab my attention. Skimmed it quickly to the end and done with this author, I believe. Just not for me.
Susan
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
I received this advanced copy of this book from the publisher on a giveaway.I am suppose to give a honest review. I have read others books by the same author and did enjoy them but I have to say that the Scottish bookshop book was disappointing to me due to the character dialogue and felt that it pulled me away from enjoying the focal point of the story. I would recommend Paige Shelton other book series for anyone likes to read cozy mysteries.

Scottish Bookshop Mystery (4 books)
  • The Cracked Spine (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Lost Books and Old Bones (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • The Loch Ness Papers