Start by marking “One Perfect Lie” as Want to Read:
One Perfect Lie

One Perfect Lie

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  17,464 Ratings  ·  2,115 Reviews
A handsome stranger moves to the small Pennsylvania town of Central Valley, and his name is Chris Brennan. He’s applying for a job as a teacher and varsity baseball coach at the local high school, and he looks perfect, on paper. But his name is an alias, his resume is false, and everything about him is a lie. And he has a secret plan - for which he needs a pawn on the base ...more
Published April 11th 2017 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about One Perfect Lie, please sign up.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Deanna
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

Lisa Scottoline has written some of my favorite books. I was really looking forward to reading "One Perfect Lie" After reading the book description, I was very intrigued. After reading the first page, I knew I was going to have a hard time putting this book down. If real life hadn't gotten in the way I probably could have read this in one or two sittings.

Chris Brennan is applying for a teaching job at Central Valley high sch
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
3.5 STARS

I’d like to start off by saying how much adoration and respect I have for Lisa Scottoline. She is uber successful, writing multiple books a year with thousands upon thousands of followers and fans, all while being completely approachable and down to earth. She’s also a super huge advocate for animals; I know, she’s perfect, right? When I had just begun to get my baby of a blog off the ground last May, I was struggling with attempts to make connections with authors and publishers, as we
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
With summer coming up fast...this will make the perfect beach/airport read!

Chris Brennan (AKA Curt Abbott) arrives in small-town Pennsylvania with the goal of embedding himself into the community. Under the guise of both high school teacher and baseball coach, he now has the opportunity to befriend one of his students to assist him. But to assist him in what exactly? Something sinister?
Up to this point I kept wondering what possible diabolical plot he could be cooking up in Pennsylvania. Blow up
Paromjit
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lisa Scottoline spins a rattling yarn in this fast paced psychological thriller. Chris Brennan is a highly personable and charming man applying to be a high school government teacher at Central Valley High School and to be the assistant baseball coach. He seems to be the perfect and ideal candidate but Chris is gifted in the art of deception, a man with a plan, a dark and deadly agenda. The narrative is delivered through multiple perspectives but primarily focuses on Chris.

Whilst Brennan has en
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

One Perfect Lie has many secrets and lies and the most perfect one is the one you tell yourself. I enjoyed the characters in this story and their perfect lies and secrets There is a lot going on in this story. It has a mystery, suspense, crime, little romance and lots of drama. The kind of suspense and drama that provides me with an escape, quiets my mind and kept me turning the pages as fast as I could. Sometimes that's all I need.

This is my first book by Lisa Scottoline and I will be
KAS
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it

Where to start? I guess the beginning would make sense, and let me also say, I do enjoy a Lisa Scottoline read.

The first few chapters pulled me in "hook, line and ...... ah, but alas, the "sinker" was lacking. As I read through the pages, I was begging for some red meat to sink my teeth into. The twists and turns of the plot line were finally on full display around the 50% mark and I became totally intrigued.

Soon there after, I felt I was in the midst of a soap opera followed by a syfy adventure
Brenda
Chris Brennan had passed his previous interviews with flying colours – his final one with the principal of Central Valley High and he was a fully-fledged teacher with assistant coach to the Varsity Baseball team also on his payroll. Now he had to get to know his students – he had a plan and not long to implement it.

Trio of friends Raz, Evan and Jordan were obviously close – it was also clear to Chris that Evan was the leader in their little group; Raz was the trouble maker and Jordan a follower
Erin Clemence
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Thanks to Jordan Hanley and St. Martin’s Press for a free electronic ARC of this novel, received in exchange for an honest review.
I am a huge fan of Lisa Scottoline. I have read many of her books and praised them all equally, and was over the moon to receive a copy of her new novel, “One Perfect Lie”.
In “Lie”, a handsome stranger moves into a small community, taking up a position as a teacher and baseball coach at the local high school. However, we quickly find out that this stranger (let’s ca
Julie
One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline is a 2017 St. Martin’s Press publication.

This stand alone novel by veteran author, Lisa Scottoline shines the spotlight on the sad and dark secrets behind the closed doors of the seemingly ideal community of Central Valley.

Chris, the new high school teacher and baseball coach is a consummate liar and has everyone in Central Valley misled, from the faculty, the students, and their parents.

Susan, mother to Raz, is a recent widow struggling with intense grief a
Erin
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"One Perfect Lie" is definitely going to be one of the most talked about books for the next little while. I started reading this on the airplane today and I was so immersed in the plot that I didn't even realize that we were experiencing turbulence( well, I almost didn't). Suffice it to say, this just might be my all time favorite Lisa Scottoline book, but to be fair I haven't read many of her books.

I know that it is going to seem like I am being secretive about the plot, but the less you know
Nazanin
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Jordan, Evan and Raz are friends with each other and they play for school’s baseball team. Jordan’s mother, Heather, is a single mother. She is a waitress and she hates it. She is proud of her son. Jordan is a quiet and shy boy.

Mindy, Evan’s mother, is a wife to a surgeon. Their life is a beautiful and perfect but just from afar. They are rich. Her husband’s and Evan’s secrets are bothering her. So one day when she gets really angry, she decides to confront them but the things that she
Esil
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars. I can't say much about about the plot of One Perfect Lie without giving way too much away. All I'll say is that from the beginning we know that Chris isn't really who he says he is when he starts teaching high school. And then Chris starts figuring which of his students he should be grooming... The story then focuses on Chris, three of his students and their three mothers. One Perfect Lie is not great or particularly deep, but it did the trick for a lengthy train ride. It is light and ...more
Paul Falk
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terrorism, fiction
This ARC was provided complements of NetGalley. My gratitude sent to Headline Publishing Group for making this edition available.

Nonstop Action kept me on the edge of my seat. My favorite place. Lisa Scottoline painted a doomsday scenario that loomed over America. A terrorist attack of epic proportion that could result in the death of thousands. Too real to imagine. An uncanny plot unfolded before my eyes that moved me in a fearful way. This superbly written narrative gained momentum from the ve
Sarah Joint
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a bit of a nail-biter, especially at the end. Well-crafted and intense. I believe this is my first Lisa Scottoline read, and I really enjoyed it. It definitely took some twists and turns I wasn't expecting at all.

Chris Brennan is a liar. He's just moved to town, and applying to become a coach and teacher at a high school. His references are perfect. He's handsome and friendly. He's well-spoken. It's all a carefully crafted lie.

It's soon very clear that Chris is observing the young men
Judy Collins
Lisa Scottoline returns following Most Wanted landing on my Top Books of 2016 with her latest, ONE PERFECT LIE. A mysterious new teacher lands at a high school. Is he a fraud?

A twisty suburban domestic crime thriller, keeping you on the edge-of-your-seat, classic Scottoline style.

“Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others." — Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Chris Brennan is applying for a teaching job at Central Valley High School, but he is not forthcoming about his past. He had
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I won a copy of One Perfect Lie in a Goodreads Giveaway.

Chris Brennan is a big fat liar. Everything from his name to his resume to where he grew up is a lie. After applying for a teaching position at Central Valley High School, he is called in for an interview with the principal. He’s charming and eloquent, winning her over and getting the job, not just as a teacher but also as an assistant baseball coach. He goes above and beyond to ingratiate himself with the students and faculty, easily keepi
Theresa Alan
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At the start, all we know is that nothing about Chris Brennan—including his name—is real. He’s applying for a job as a teacher and coach in a town where there is a deep divide between the haves and have nots. He wants to befriend a junior boy on the baseball team for some nefarious purpose.
There are three boys he focuses on, and thus, three stories of mothers and sons and their complex relationships.

This novel gets more fast-paced and exciting the more you read, with all the twists and turns of
Jaksen
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway, thank you!

I really don't understand the high ratings, but - and it's a big but - this is a well-known, best-selling writer, with, most likely a huge fan base. Even so, I bet this is not considered one of her better books.

Dull characters, mundane situations, and an under-suspenseful plot. I kept waiting, waiting...

Several yawns later, not much has happened. A substitute teacher with a possibly nefarious plot in mind moves into a small, rural town in P
Zoe Mann
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! 'One Perfect Lie' by Lisa Scottoline has left me reeling in a plethora of emotions.

There are so many twists and turns I don't know how I can do this novel justice whilst keeping them a secret.

Chris Brennan takes on a new position as a high school teacher and varsity baseball coach in Central Valley, Philadelphia. Everybody loves Chris! Especially the young, easily-lead boys on the baseball team. Little do the boys and their families know they are all just a pawn in the deceptive and disho
Stacey
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Oh, I like Lisa Scottoline any day of the week. One Perfect Lie had me wondering a few times what was going on. I think there are more lies than just one with our main character, Chris. It probably took me longer than most to figure out what was going on, but isn't that the fun of it? This was a fast and suspenseful read. It probably wasn't my favorite, but well worth the time I spent reading!
Lori Lamothe
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chris Brennan arrives in Central Valley with stellar references, a passion for teaching and a commitment to helping students. His All-American good looks and friendly personality make him instantly popular in the small Pennsylvania community, especially with the players on the local high school’s varsity baseball team. But everything about Chris is a lie. His commitment is to using students, not teaching them, and his interest in coaching has nothing to do with baseball.

Chris isn’t the only one
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I have to say that there were a few surprises along the way in this story and I really like surprises. Especially in books. I started reading this book thinking that things were going in a certain direction until everything changed and I had no idea where this book would end up. That is exactly the kind of reading experience that I like to have. This was one of those books that kept me guessing.

Chr
Chloe
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Chris Brennan gets hired at a local high school near Philadelphia as a teacher and a baseball coach assistant. Chris is not his real name though and his whole life story is a fake. He quickly befriends three boys from the baseball team who have troubling home conditions and has a plan for them.
The book is divided into two parts, Step one where Chris bonds with the community and Step two where his reasons and master plan is explained. Along with Chris’s story we get involved with the three boys a
Suzanne
2.5 rounded to 3. I am writing this review a month after reading this, anyone that knows me will understand that this is just not good! My book memory is appalling!

I just checked on my status updates, and all it reminded me of was how annoyed the author kept calling helicopters 'helos'. I wondered, was I missing anything?

I didn't love it, but did enjoy it more than the only other book I've read from this author. I do like a bit of romance thrown in with suspense though, I have to say!
Dorie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Lisa Scottoline ever since I read “Every Fifteen Minutes” one of my all time favorite thrillers. I like her stand alone novels the best and “The Perfect Lie” is a great one. This book has something for everyone, great character development, a twisty thriller, even some romance thrown in.

The story begins introducing us to Chris who has just accepted a position as teacher and coach at a high school outside of Philadelphia. From his point of view we learn that he is not who he
Laura Rash
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
While this wasn't a bad story, it was kind of chopped up & the efforts to keep changing up the story weren't smoothly done. It lacked the grit a normal LS book has that makes them page turners.

Thanks to St. Martins press for this copy in exchange for review.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
ONE PERFECT LIE (standalone) Written by Lisa Scottoline
April 11, 2017; 384 Pages (St. Martin's Press)
Genre: suspense, thriller, fiction, mystery
(I received an ARC from the PUBLISHER via NETGALLEY)

Rating: ★★★1/2

I still remember my first Lisa Scottoline novel, The Vendetta Defense, which is the sixth book in the Rosato and Associates series. I loved the main character, Judy Carrier in the legal drama as much as I enjoyed the story and the quirky secondary characters. While the novels in the series
Maureen
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Chris Brennan is a liar. We meet him as he is charming his way into a teaching job and assistant baseball c0ach at Central Valley High School in Pennsylvania. He has faked all his personal information. Why is he here under false pretenses, in this small town, befriending certain students?
We learn why about half-way through the book when the suspense intensifies with a big twist. At this point I was turning pages quickly to find out what happens.
I truly enjoyed this latest book by Lisa Scottoline
Kevin
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kevin by: Deanna
Chris Brennan has impeccable references and the perfect experience to land a high school teacher's role. He even volunteers to help with baseball coaching. But all of his background is a lie. Why is he so focused on three high school jocks? What is his real purpose?

I really enjoyed this one! My first Scottoline novel which will definitely not be my last! The perfect summer beach read as the author kept me turning pages. Just one more chapter...
Irene
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a slow burner for me. It took a while to get going and for the suspense to start building but once it did I was into it. There is a lot going on besides the arrival of Chris Brennan who is not at all who he claims to be. There are multiple back-stories happening at once including Heather struggling as a single mom, Mindy who is suspicious of her cheating husband for all the wrong reasons, and who had my suspicions aroused as well!

I received an advance copy for review
Dumping a book as unread 3 48 Jun 26, 2018 08:27PM
Play Book Tag: One Perfect Lie / Lisa Scottoline. 4 stars 1 16 Sep 30, 2017 01:19PM
Lisa Scottoline is The New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 30 novels, including her #1 bestselling, AFTER ANNA. She also writes a weekly column with her daughter Francesca Serritella for the Philadelphia Inquirer titled “Chick Wit” which is a witty and fun take on life from a woman’s perspective. These stories, along with many other never-before-published stories, h ...more

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • The Ministry of Fear
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“since the AP curriculum was nationally standardized. If they wanted to turn the public schools into chain stores, it worked for him.” 0 likes
“Cynthia’s face popped onto the screen, a gorgeous, blue-eyed blonde with a dazzling smile. Mindy thought of the baby and how pretty he or she would have been.” 0 likes