Start by marking “Indomitable (Chronicles of Promise Paen #2)” as Want to Read:
Indomitable (Chronicles of Promise Paen #2)

Indomitable

(Chronicles of Promise Paen #2)

Promise Paen, captain of Victor Company's mechanized armored infantry, is back for another adventure protecting the Republic of Aligned Worlds.

Lieutenant Paen barely survived her last encounter with the Lusitanian Empire. She's returned home to heal. But the nightmares won't stop. And she's got a newly reconstituted unit of green marines to whip into shape before they depl
Published April 11th 2017 by Tor Books (first published July 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Indomitable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indomitable

Start your review of Indomitable (Chronicles of Promise Paen #2)
Marlene
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

Her name may be an absolutely terrible pun, but Promise T. Paen’s story is absolutely terrific. And her strength of will is exactly as the title states, indomitable.

The cold war between the Lusitanian Empire and the Republic of Aligned Worlds is definitely heating up in this second book in the Chronicles of Promise Paen. And Promise, and her Marines are in the thick of the action.

Even when Promise isn’t supposed to be.

The story begins with Promise as a stil
Daniel
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Basically, the pacing is rushed. Unlike the first book, anyone who isn't a marine in this is basically just scenery. And the book appears to have been written just to fill space before the cliche ending setup for the next book.

The moments where the book slows down and focuses on the characters... it's solid. The beginning of the book was good. Taking time to show her learning to take on responsibility of command. Learning to cope with the survivor's guilt. Showing the reader who each character
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF.

The characterizations and dialogue are better in this book than the first in the series, but the plot bogged down in explaining too much of the politics, and I lost interest. I prefer character-driven novels where the world extends off the page ... this book was unsatisfying in that regard, as it felt like things happened to advance the plot / create action, rather than because the world demanded it.
Sontaranpr
While I loved the first book this one seemed to be a series of connected novellas. Different stories being told with the same characters within the same series but feeling separate. Definitely a middle book where it's a stepping stone to something else rather than closure in itself.

I'm still sold on the series and will read more.
Jeff
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Ronald Gibbs
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

.g ch etc HD and USB tag Caz tx g vast HDTV DC tx bush's ft bbc g c c sh g
Papal Bull
Not as good as the first one
Oliver Ikjaer
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Steven Allen
This was a good story of a young military woman in the Marines. Fairly well told, with several good action scenes. We see more of Promise's pigheadedness get her into trouble, and we some more of the cracks in Promise's armor.

Promise is smart seeking the help of someone who can help her work through her problems. As someone who suffers PTSD nightmares as well, I can empathize with her.

We see that Promise carries her dead with her like all good officers. I like the way that she memorializes thos
Gary Weinman
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of who knows how many. I liked both books in the series. Kind of a gritty look at what future interstellar armored combat would be. The book is a quick easy read. After reading some 1000+ epics this was a fun change of pace.
Nicholas
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win

This book felt over the top. At times hard to follow. I will admit I have not read the first book. Besides that i really enjoyed the characters and world that was between these pages.
Tim McGowan
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A quick over the top romp with the RAW-MC.
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book in this series and thought it was a pretty good start. This is the second in the series and I absolutely loved it! The ground pounding action is what I really love in a military sci fi read and this story had plenty of it. I also enjoyed the emotional side and internal turmoil of the main character in particular, and the interaction between rank. I didn't want the story to end and I cannot wait to read the next one. The only issue I had was occasionally having to reread the ...more
Ron
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lt. Paen has been tasked with bringing the Viper unit up speed and fast as they are needed on Sheol. But a wargaming incident turns into a political boondoggle that lands her on political hit list. Then a forced off-world vacation lands her in more hot water, a reprimand, and a roommate. After Paen and the Vipers land on Sheol, they are immediately attacked by insurgents, and end up on the short end of the stick, again. Paen manages to save the day, but at a cost in bodily injury. Plenty of buil ...more
William Walter
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice variation to the "usual" future military action thriller--I enjoyed the psychological aspects added by W. C. Bauers
Stubbyjedi
Excellent story.
Not your normal military sci fi storyline but yet it feels familiar while your reading.
Miles
Oct 19, 2018
Steve
Aug 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Cloud Warrior (Amtrak Wars, #1)
  • Splinter Universe Presents
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Blackveil (Green Rider, #4)
  • The Wandering Inn: Volume 1
  • The Alchemist of Souls (Night's Masque, #1)
  • Summer of Blood: The Peasants' Revolt of 1381
  • The Path of Duty
  • A Bloody Good Secret (Secret McQueen, #2)
  • Victory's Bright Dawn
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy, #1)
  • Secret Santa (Secret McQueen #2.5)
  • Secrets and Spellcraft (Art of the Adept, #2)
  • A Darkness Forged in Fire (Iron Elves, #1)
  • Deep Dark Secret (Secret McQueen, #3)
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
  • Their Last Full Measure (A Learning Experience, #6)
W. C. Bauers is a husband, father, publishing industry veteran, bibliophile, children's books author, and writer of science fiction. His books include the TINY BIBLE TALES and THE CHRONICLES OF PROMISE PAEN.

Bauers' first novel, UNBREAKABLE, was an Amazon and B&N, Science Fiction and Fantasy Best Book of the Month pick, for January 2015. His second, INDOMITABLE, was a B&N, i09, and Kirkus Best of

Chronicles of Promise Paen (2 books)
  • Unbreakable (Chronicles of Promise Paen, #1)

News & Interviews