Start by marking “The Seventh Sun” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Sun

The Seventh Sun

A stunning debut novel about corrupt government agencies and terrifying conspiracies using the latest developments in science, technology, and oceanography

In a breathtaking debut drawing on complex science and recently discovered deep-sea biology, Kent Lester has married fast-paced narrative and cutting-edge, reality-based science to produce an edge-of-the-seat thriller.

A
Published April 18th 2017 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Sun

Start your review of The Seventh Sun
Taylor Knight
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is one of the most entertaining, well written books I've read in a long time.
The Seventh Sun is a little slow at times because of the set up that went into the plot and concept but it wasn't boring at all. This book was such a fun adventure and so unexpectedly great.
I loved the writing style and all the thought that went into this story. It was clear that the author put a lot of time and effort into c
Kent Lester
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
What can I say? I wrote it. :-) Therefore, I've read it many, many times. It was a book I just couldn't put down. (for years, actually) :-) ...more
Kate
Jun 02, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Abandoned at 51% for not holding my interest
Sci-Fi & Scary
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The Seventh Sun was an interesting look at how our thoughtless raping of the environment may very well turn on us. Within pages of starting it, I was telling one of my friends about it because I had this feeling it was going to be an awesome ecological thriller. I told her "It hasn't gelled yet, but when it does, it's going to be great!" I was all excited for it to happen, eagerly cataloging characters, facts, etc.

But, unfortunately, The Seventh Sun never quite gelled. The pieces came together f
Jessica
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Seventh Sun is a great debut novel for Kent Lester! Are you a fan of sci-fi? The end of the world? Well, look no further! This has the right mixture of thriller and sci-fi. I'm not the biggest fan of science fiction or apocalypse novels (why would I read this then, right?) but I was incredibly impressed! Corporate conspiracies that lead to the destruction of the world, murder, ancient evils. All great elements!

A seemingly random murder alerts scientist Dan Clifford to a global conspiracy tha
Amy Rogers
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kent Lester, debut author of The Seventh Sun, and New York Times #1 bestselling author James Rollins currently have the same literary agent representing their work. Sharing an agent isn't the only thing Lester and Rollins have in common. Fans of Rollins' Sigma Force will find a lot to like about The Seventh Sun.

The protagonist Dan Clifford is a level-headed scientist with a strong sense of ethics and a claustrophobic streak. Completely dedicated to his work (which has something to do with a mass
Vishesh Aneja
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was one entertaining book, I actually enjoyed it much more than I anticipated. Who doesn't love pleasant surprises. This book had me gripped within the first chapter, and wouldn't let go. I was so engrossed in it that it made me miss my dinner, only great hunger and extreme sleepiness kept me away from the pages, and I picked it right up first thing in the morning.

The book mixes Science, with fiction and mythology so beautifully that it really makes you think. One of the books you would lo
Phillip III
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
** Awesome novel, review forthcoming **
Claudia Putnam
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Solid, well-written, interesting science. Female characters are cardboard. So is the main villain. Debut novel; hoping for some growth from this promising author.
Melanie Haynes
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It does start off slow with character and plot development in the first few chapters. Once the story starts to unfold the book is hard to put down. It is a good book for adult readers who will read into the first few chapters to see how the plot unfolds. For less patient readers it would not catch them right off and they would not get the full experience of the book. I would go with 11th grade or higher in suggesting this read. Most younger than that would be more for a book t ...more
Douglas Lord
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If ruthless mad scientists working for greedy corporations hell-bent on harnessing the titular, legendary Seventh Sun’s evil power for death and world domination can be said to be a fun adventure, then this is indeed super fun. Scientist Dan Clifford and marine biologist Rachel Sullivan accidentally discover that NeuroSys is mining the crap out of the seabed off the Honduran coast. The company has unintentionally awakened some badass ooze that pretty much obliterates any living thing it touches. ...more
Danielle
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Read this review and more on my blog, uncovered-books.

I received a free copy of The Seventh Sun in exchange for my honest opinion.

I always try and give a book at least 100 pages before giving up on it, not to say that I got 100 pages in but if I have not gotten interesting in whatever was occurring then chances were that it was not going to change. I got about 38% though The Seventh Sun before reaching this point (but I had been trying to read it for over 3 months though).

Even though I did give
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
As we endure the Coronavirus Pandemic, I am impelled to read novels and nonfiction about Plague events, pandemics, and wildly mutating evolution. Whether or not Coronavirus is a "black swan event," I found THE SEVENTH SUN (a reference to the ancients' view of the final Extinction Event) highly apropos. With a protagonist of high moral integrity and an adrenaline-driven, near-fearless, female evolutionary scientist, this tale of rampant conspiracy, genetic manipulation, corporate greed, governmen ...more
Bobby
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well researched but needed to take marine biology in college to understand many of the terms. I can only assume Mr. Lester knew what he was writing about and it's a pretty scary premise. The Seventh Sun refers to the latest extermination of life on Earth, in this case an extermination brought on by man. I enjoyed the "edge of the seat" style if writing which mirrors the old Perils of Pauline which keeps you starting the next chapter when you swore you were done for the night! ...more
Jake
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a hard book to put down. Its hard to believe that this is his first book. As a former member of the Santa Fe Institute, he knows what he is talking about. How he did this with out the education that I have is unreal. It made me really take notice to the book. As a scientist, he is dead on.

I love it
Donna Hulsey
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was not my usual cup of tea. (Reading material), but I did find it fascinating. It kept me interested through the whole book, which is about new pandemics starting in the Honduras. Illegal dumping in the ocean, where it all starts. This book is very interesting, and the characters are well-rounded and also interesting.
Jenn
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Long book, and incredibly scientific at times. Overall, pretty good.
Tim
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Very well researched and kept me interested. Proud to say this was written by my cousin!
Lori
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed this ride with a new author. A sci-tech thriller with some appealing characters and lots of twists, this was just what I needed for a good, fast adventure read.
Dave Denlinger
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-ficton
A great debut novel Mr. Lester! I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see what you have coming next because I get the sense that Dan and Rachel aren't done yet. ...more
Joshua Cronin
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read! Especially during the corona virus pandemic.
Lynda Brooks
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting science....more character development needed...disappointing conclusion.
Mary Rankin
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting and well-written but just a bit too much going on. A little more focus would have been better.
Matty Dalrymple
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riveting and timely, Kent Lester’s THE SEVENTH SUN takes the reader from the high stakes world of corporate America to the dark ocean bottom off the coast of Honduras, featuring characters with fascinating backstories using bleeding edge technology that lends and almost science fiction feel to the story. An enjoyable—and thought-provoking—read.
Heidi Witt
Apr 04, 2020
Jared Collins
May 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Widows (Kinship #1)
  • Promise
  • Dark Light: Dawn
  • Double Vision (Dr. Jenna Ramey #2)
  • Things in Jars
  • This I Know
  • Off Rock
  • The Love Song of A. Jerome Minkoff: And Other Stories
  • Miller's Valley
  • The Weight of an Infinite Sky
  • Rage (Rogue Team International #1)
  • A Damned Serious Business
  • Final Target (Jonathan Grave, #9)
  • Crown Jewel (Simon Riske, #2)
  • Reaper: Ghost Target (The Reaper #1)
  • Varina
  • The Drifter (Peter Ash, #1)
  • Night Flight to Paris
Author of the recent thriller, The Seventh Sun, published by Macmillan-Forge.

Current non-fiction author of The Complete Guide to Contracting Your Home, 5th edition, with over 350,000 copies in print.