Start by marking “God, Robot” as Want to Read:
God, Robot

God, Robot

It is the year 6080 AD. Detective Theseus Hollywell has at last discovered the hiding place of William Locke, a notorious fugitive from justice who has been hunted for decades after committing unspeakable crimes.

But Locke has a trick up his sleeve, one that the detective couldn't expect: He has a story to tell.

This is the tale of the theobots, the robotic beings created
Published April 15th 2016 by Castalia House

To ask other readers questions about God, Robot, please sign up.
Anthony Marchetta Hello Carbonel! Chief editor/author of two stories here. Compliments VERY MUCH appreciated!

The answer to your question is one I'm very proud to give:…more

The answer to your question is one I'm very proud to give: Almost none.

When I invited the authors to "God, Robot" I had two rules:

1) Don't contradict anything already written.

2) Include two laws robots as a major part of your narrative, or some variation thereof.

The first four stories were written by myself and my sister; we wrote them always intending for them to be part of a shared world. The other stories...well...

L. Jagi Lamplighter's was first and it was unbelievably, stunningly different than anything we did. John C. Wright's came in next, and IT was totally different from. Then Vox Day's, then Josh Young's, then EJ Shumak's...and so on and so forth.

Sometimes, writers were inspired to bring up the earlier stories. Steve Rzasa's story "Daily Bread" and Josh Young's story "Felix Culpa" brought up characters and places from our early stories without our prompting, which was really cool! Most didn't care.

What this meant was that connecting it was left up to us. We did add a couple of lines to John C. Wright's story mentioning American Robotics and the theobot program, and we changed around a couple of things in Vox Day's story to change the setting from Earth to the galaxy. Also, a proofreader spotted a plot "hole" in Lamplighter's story that she fixed with literally a single sentence.

But that was all of the story "editing". The rest of the connecting threads were cooked up by me and the assistant editor (my sister, author of the MJ Marzo stories featuring Linda Krawler), then added into the frame story to make sure the timeline made sense. It was almost entirely done "exterior" to the stories; the stories themselves appear to the reader almost unaltered from their original forms.

I hope that answers your question!(less)

Elizabeta
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't like a lot the idea of theobots (robots programmed to be religious). There were some interesting stories, but overall - it was ok. At least I read something completely new to me.
Marzie
Apr 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I made the mistake of getting this book in order to read the Hugo short story finalist "An Unimaginable Light," by John C. Wright, in fairness, since I will be voting. The story was a twisted robot story involving a misogynistic experiment. It's important to note Wright's story, by virtue of its Hugo recognition, is likely the best of the anthology. Let's just say it won't be getting my vote. The book was returned for a refund. I ordered by mistake, thinking I could tolerate the Puppy paradigm. ...more
Robby Charters
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
On these two commandments hang all of Asimov's Laws of Robotics

Isaac Asimov was an atheist. But these eight brilliant authors have revisited his universe in which his three laws govern the activity of robot-kind, suggested two more laws, and pointed the whole Asimov universe in the opposite direction.

The two laws? Love the Lord your God with all your heart...soul, and ...strength, and love your neighbour as yourself (Deuteronomy 6:4 and Leviticus 19:18); the two that Jesus said are the foundatio
Jeff Miller
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of connection short stories mostly around the topic of theological robots (thee-bots). There is an aspect of Asimov's short story collection "I, Robot" and and a allusion to the three laws while also adding what Jesus called the "Greatest Commandment". So there is some homage to Asimov in understanding why a Robot went wrong while also going beyond this.

Most of the stories were a lot of fun, while also having something to mull over. There was not a story I did not enjoy and
Carbonel
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The whole is greater than the some of its parts

One can read each story on it's own: it may be amusing, or straight up adventure, or grim, or contemplative... there's a fair bit of variety in tone and style, as might be expected from having different authors for each one. Quality uniformly good - some are better, some more to my taste, several extremely memorable (The one about the Magister bot, for example, is a chilling little gem)

However, all together they become complete speculative tale of h
Rusty
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting premise of turning religion over to robots because of the great falling away from faith that the world has experienced. Like any short story collection, there are some good ones and some meh ones.
Joshua
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Thomas
Dec 27, 2016
Bork
Jul 05, 2016
Steve Traves
rated it did not like it
Dec 12, 2017