Start by marking “Beheld (Kendra Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
Beheld (Kendra Chronicles, #4)

Beheld (Kendra Chronicles #4)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  588 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling YA author Alex Flinn is back with magical twists on four fairy-tale favorites, each featuring a little help from Kendra, the witch from Beastly, as she searches through cities and centuries for her lost love.

Being a powerful witch, Kendra has survived it all. Since she first beheld James over three hundred years ago, Kendra has tangled with wi
Published January 10th 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Beheld, please sign up.
Alex Flinn It's a continuation, but it is four stories connected by Kendra's quest for the lost love she met in Salem, Massachusetts. It's sort of like…moreIt's a continuation, but it is four stories connected by Kendra's quest for the lost love she met in Salem, Massachusetts. It's sort of like Bewitching in that it has several stories in it, not just one like Beastly or Mirrored. But it focuses on Kendra the most of the four books. Also, all four books can be read independently. It's not a series like The Hunger Games.(less)

This was a YA retelling of 4 fairy tales, all featuring Kendra.

Kendra was an okay character, but I didn’t love her. It was interesting to see the part she played in the other fairy tales in this book though.

The storyline in this consisted of 4 short stories one after another, the first was about a girl in a red cloak (Little Red Riding Hood?) but was actually about the Salem witch trials, and featured Ann
Mitticus
This is a retelling of 4 fairytales: Little Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltskin, East of the Sun and West of the Moon, and The Ugly Duckling during different centuries, since Salem's trials until modern times.

Also there is spoilers for: King Midas, Kriemhild and Sigurd, The Town Musicians of Bremen, as well as mentions of Finnete .

It feels like a self-insert for Kendra the witch whom happen to be there along the characters. An excuse for 'linking' the other stories with a flimsy love (view spoiler)
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.75/5

Review to come!
Kay Wisteria
A loooOoooOOoOng time ago I read a book called Beastly. And I really, really loved it. And since then, I've been dutifully reading all of the Kendra Chronicles. But as much as it pains me to say...they keep getting worse. This book was just...not as good as Beastly.

At first it seems like this is going to be one long novel about Kendra the witch and her quest to find her own true love, after helping out so many other teenagers find their true loves. But alas, it turns out that it is pretty much
Minna
Alex Flinn is brilliant. I love the way she always blends a bunch of fairytales into one retelling and how she ties things together and connects them. My only problem with this book is how quickly all the girls fall in love. Even the main character falls in love too fast. I mean, she has a love story with this dude for a couple of months but remains in love with him for 300+ years after he ditches her multiple times? That's highly unlikely to happen, but I guess ninnies in fairytales are suppose ...more
Elizabeth ♛Smart Girls Love Trashy Books♛
-POTENTIAL SPOILERS-

Why is everyone being so harsh on Alex Flinn lately? It seems like nobody likes any of her newer books, including this one. I still stand by the fact that her worst one was Towering, but I digress.

While this one wasn't perfect, and I do get why people don't like it, I was genuinely enjoying it. It reminded me of Bewitching, where every story was a retelling of a fairy tale that Kendra somehow gets herself involved in. While Kendra wasn't really a main character in this asid
Dark Faerie Tales
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-by-tara
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An anthology of four fairytales retellings connected by one story arc of a search for lost love.

Opening Sentence: I know that children don’t read fairy tales anymore.

Excerpt: Yes

The Review:

Beheld was a series of fairytale retellings that all feature Kenda, an immortal witch who is searching for her lost love. While Kendra features prominently in the first one, she slowly fades from the book as it progresses, although the stories are nominall
Andge (Down the Rabbit Hole)
Posted at Down the Rabbit Hole

Rating: 2.5 stars

Thank you Edelweiss and HarperCollins for this copy in exchange for an honest review

**Beheld comes out January 10, 2017**

I read the first fairy tale retelling by Alex Flinn years ago, a title that had blew up to even be optioned as a film. Beastly. I really enjoyed it. Perfect balance of fairy tale, romance, and her own spin of things.

But these last few years?

I've been honestly a little disappointed. Oh, a number of fairy tale retellings since Beast
Alison
2 stars

This book was not Flinn's best book. I tend to find myself enjoying her modern stories more and getting more attached to those characters for some reason. I think that Alex Flinn's stories can be predictable, and if the story is ify then I don't find myself loving what I'm reading. The stories tended to get a little better with each one.

First Part-that was alright but left some unanswered questions

Second Part- better then the last one but a very frustrating main character. I found her to
Elise (TheBookishActress)
2.5 stars. I don't know what to say about this book. It was just so forgettable.

It's certainly an easy read. I blew through this 300-pager in two hours, which could be considered a good thing, I guess.

The issue with this book is that it's all about a romance, and the romance is quite lukewarm. The individual fantasy stories were sometimes cute (ESPECIALLY the first one), but there was really no development in the romance department for any single one of the couples. All the couples just kind o
Natasha
Aug 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Well..not quite what I was expecting.
Colleen's Conclusions
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a library book, but now I might have to get it because it ended up being the perfect read for me. I was glad that I chose this book for my car trip ride home because I couldn't put it down. I finished it in a day!

It's perfect for me because it started off back during the Salem Witch Trial era and I have always liked stories that takes place during those times. One of the witches, Kendra meets her beloved James, but they don't have an easy journey at all.

Kendra ends up showing up th
Abby-Rose Viveiros
Dana
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book, Kendra uses her magic mirror to search for her lost love James and she shares tales of how she participated in modernish versions of 4 different fairy tales - Little Red Riding Hood, Rumpelstiltskin, East of the Sun and West of the Moon, and The Ugly Duckling. The book is fun to read filled with humor, love and excitement in the retold fairy tales.
Mabel
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book centered on the supposedly love story between Kendra and her lost love James there was really no story between the two. However I actually really enjoyed the snippets of the other stories embedded in Kendra's life.
Stephanie
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fairy-tale
I received this ARC at New York Comic Con in October. At the time I didn't know it was part of a series, but the author has said on Goodreads that it can be read independently from the rest of the books. That is somewhat true, but I did feel like I was missing who Kendra was.

I read some reviews on Goodreads, and many were disappointed that this book does not feature Kendra (a bad-ass witch who is a fan favorite) much. Even though I have not read the previous books I have to agree. In three out
Miriam Zink
Not the best book, but still a good continuation of Kendra's life as a witch.
B
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
RTC
Ellie
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't had time to read in so long. And I made the mistake of starting this book and refusing to put it down. The writing is incredible and captivating. While I was reading, my homework didn't exist. I would 3000% read this again.
*Only problem was some swearing in the last part of the book. It was used to fit with a time period, but the rest of the book is clean*
Melissa Robles
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
*This review can also be found at YA Books Central! Huge thanks to the publisher for the eARC in exchange of my honest opinion.*

Fans of Beastly, rejoice! In this new installment of the Kendra Chronicles, we get to follow Kendra--the powerful, immortal witch who cursed a popular, arrogant High School boy and turned him into a beast--in her journey following love and helping those to find their own.

What I liked:

It was a pleasant surprise to find out that this book retells a few of my favorite chil
Toast
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics, fans of Flinn, probably my brother cuz he's mushy like that
Recommended to Toast by: the Interwebs
I've been a long-time fan of Alex Flinn, ever since I first read Beastly in middle school, and since then, it's always been one of my most treasured reads. I've always been drawn to her stories, and Kendra has always been a favorite character of mine. I've always liked the kind of omnipresent characters that show up helter-skelter throughout an author's stories, even if they're not always the main focus.

Flinn's Beheld features four mini-stories as retellings based on Little Red Riding Hood, Rum
Leah Wolff
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I honestly hope Alex Flinn never stops writing about Kendra. I just love this little witch and all the adventures she puts herself and others in. I love her good intentions and the freedom she gives others with her magic to choose how they want to be from there on. I categorize this as a guilty pleasure type of read because I generally know how all of these will play out (I mean, they're tightly rewritten fairy tales, there's not a lot of guesswork to take place) but I still devour them anyway. ...more
Kristen
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fairy-tales
You can read this review and others on my blog at http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.co...

To say I’m disappointed in this book is an understatement. Actually, to be honest, Beastly has been Flinn’s best novel I’ve read. All the subsequent ones I’ve read had left something to be desired. But I think this has been the worst.

It’s possible a lot of that has to do with there being 4 stories jammed in to this one book. You never really get attached to any of the characters or sucked in to any of the s
Valerie Sells
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had expected this book to be one thing and it turned out to be another, but actually, I still quite enjoyed it! My impression was that it was the story of Kendra and her true love, James, but in fact it was more a collection of short stories with Kendra and James as a connecting thread. The first part of the book deals with Kendra and James meeting for the first time and parting too soon, which I mostly enjoyed. Second was a variation on Rumplestiltskin, which was enjoyable but perhaps a littl ...more
Meghan
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Kendra is back at it again; helping more people find their true loves, but what about herself? In 1662 she fell in love with a boy named James who was like her, a wizard. Through the centuries she endlessly sought him out, only to get struck out each time. Now in Miami, where she least expected it, while helping a new friend out, her true love shows up. This novel was, like her past novels, about beauty and the beauty within ourselves. It taught really good life lessons, even if some of the plot ...more
Lindsay Jacobson
This book was so good, it has to be my second favorite of hers now (A Kiss in Time will always be first). It was interesting to start off the book in Salem with a storytelling of Little Red Riding Hood. My favorite modern storytelling was of East of the Sun and West of the Moon. I have never heard of this story before so it was a good surprise and definitely fairytale like. Recently, I have found I enjoy these books that carry multiple storylines, the characters are much more likable. Also, even ...more
Leanne Aila
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It appears to me that girls of ancient times were so desperate for love and attention (including kendra) that they absolutely did not think and were just so reckless and helpless and *ugh-waves in frustration*. i never would have thought Kendra was going to be lovestruck as well, cuz for me it definitely wasn't the kind of character vide she had in Bewitching. Am kind of dissapointed in her.

Despite being a fun read and hooking me into the story, i was like 50% frustrated at how the characters t
Absolutely
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I mostly enjoyed the re-telling of "The East of the Sun and the West of the Moon", and "The Ugly Duckling". I just wish there was more to James and Kendra's story! I loved all the characters, especially: Amanda and Chris. I was engrossed in their story (view spoiler). Besides Amanda and Chris, Philip was my favourite! :)

Would have given the book a full rating, if there w
Rachel Meyer
This book was a retelling of four different fairytales, interspersed with Kendra's search for love. It felt to me like it might be the end of the books with Kendra in it, but I'm not sure.

The stories were fun and well placed in their different times. I liked each one of them, and I continue to like Kendra and her sense of humor and big heart. But at the same time, all the stories seemed a bit disjointed. It was more like a collection of short stories with a larger arc going over them. Still, it
Gillian
The weakest of the series but still enjoyable. The retellings of "Rumplestiltkin" and "The Ugly Duckling" were good, especially the latter and the other retelling (that I vaguely remember hearing before), "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" was extremely well done. I hate saying it but there was too much Kendra. She is way better as a foil (like it Beastly) or supporting character (in all the other books).
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
  • Hunted
  • Long May She Reign
  • The Freemason's Daughter
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #8)
  • The Cursed Queen (The Impostor Queen, #2)
  • The World of Throne of Glass
  • 100 Hours (100 Hours, #1)
  • Caradoc of the North Wind (Destiny's Path #4)
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
  • Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows, #2)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #1)
  • The Beast Is an Animal
  • The Rose in the Briar
  • Flying Lessons & Other Stories
  • Silver Stars (Front Lines, #2)
NOTE: If you would like to contact me, please visit my Facebook, Twitter, or website or e-mail me (alixwrites@aol.com), but DO NOT MESSAGE ME THROUGH GOODREADS. While I have a bio on Goodreads as a service to my readers, I do not visit Goodreads on a regular basis. Like literally twice a year.

Okay, bio.

I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced m
More about Alex Flinn

Kendra Chronicles (4 books)
  • Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)
  • Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)
  • Mirrored (Kendra Chronicles, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
“I tell him the ugly duckling grew up to be a huge asshole.” “Why?” 0 likes
“Sometimes, I stay up all night reading book after book, for I have no family to object, and when I wake in the morning, slumped over a table or fallen off a chair, back aching, cold because no one thought to cover me with a blanket or tell me to come to bed, I feel very fortunate.” Silence” 0 likes