Start by marking “Reel Inequality: Hollywood Actors and Racism” as Want to Read:
Reel Inequality: Hollywood Actors and Racism

Reel Inequality: Hollywood Actors and Racism

When the 2016 Oscar acting nominations all went to whites for the second consecutive year, #OscarsSoWhite became a trending topic. Yet these enduring racial biases afflict not only the Academy Awards, but also Hollywood as a whole. Why do actors of color, despite exhibiting talent and bankability, continue to lag behind white actors in presence and prominence?

Reel Inequa
Published December 12th 2016 by Rutgers University Press

To ask other readers questions about Reel Inequality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reel Inequality

Start your review of Reel Inequality: Hollywood Actors and Racism
Alexis
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Reel Inequality looks at Hollywood racism and the treatment given to actors of colour. I always knew that Hollywood was discriminatory, but Nancy Wang Yuen is able to give stats and numbers to show just how racist and prejudiced Hollywood actually is. Did you know that you're more likely to see an alien than an Asian woman in a movie? Wang Yuen discusses the double bind that actors of colour face when they have to take on stereotypical roles because there are no other roles for them. She also ta ...more
Katie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Like the red pill in The Matrix, Reel Inequality peels back Hollywood's curtain of fantasy to reveal a complex filtration system put in place to maintain the status quo. If you've ever wondered why the racial and cultural representation in modern day film and television fails to mirror the real world--and doubly so if you haven't--this book is a must-read!

Compelling firsthand accounts from industry insiders (ranging from struggling working actors all the way to A-list celebrities) illuminate the
Trevor
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is great. I've always watched movies and tv shows and made fun of the fact that there was no diversity whatsoever, or that white people get cast as other ethnicities, while other races are restricted to playing stereotypes and caricatures. And I've always wondered how come Latinos are like 20% of Americans, but virtually invisible in the media.

The answer is rampant racism and white dominance in Hollywood, and this book lays out exactly how it works, from the racist white casting agents
David
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: culture-society
I devoured this book. Nancy Yuen manages to express so many of the frustrations I've felt over Hollywood and misrepresentation for years. But she does so eloquently and in a crystal clear way.
Hazel
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading an early copy. Reel Inequality takes a popular topic, provides sociological analysis and makes it accessible to the average reader. I highly recommend it!
Kandace
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An accessible text on the perils of a hollywood built on white supremacy. A must read for those engaging in media and race.
Casey
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through research and original interviews, Nancy Wang Yuen covers a plurality of problems within Hollywood. Not only are diverse roles lacking within film and television, but agents can keep their clients away from roles, writers and directors can unveil their inherent prejudices, and stereotypical roles can reinforce negative perceptions of minorities. I appreciate that this book focuses on the actors who must navigate these barriers and the compromises they may or may not make in order to make ...more
Bina
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. One thing- Gurinder Chadha directed Bend it Like Beckham, not Mira Nair.
Nancy Yuen
As the first in my family to earn a doctorate and to write a book, I am indebted to the 100+ actors' voices who sustained me through sixteen years of research and writing. I hope these voices can inform the world about racism in Hollywood, and inspire us to work toward a just society. Peace, Nancy
Chris
Jade
Mar 23, 2020
J
Sep 11, 2019

• Crazy Stupid Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #3)
  • Stuck On You
  • Six Months, Three Days
  • My Great Ex-Scape
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • Cobble Hill
  • Free Lunch
  • Directing Feature Films: The Creative Collaborarion Between Director, Writers, and Actors
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • Pequeno Manual Antirracista
  • #TheRealCinderella
  • Love Sold Separately
  • Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents
  • Majesty (American Royals, #2)
  • Dragon Hoops
  • Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot
  • Naturally Tan
Nancy Wang Yuen is a sociologist and pop culture geek. Her book, Reel Inequality: Hollywood Actors and Racism, examines the barriers actors of color face in Hollywood and how they creatively challenge stereotypes. Nancy enjoys reading YA dystopic novels, singing karaoke, and taking her kids to the local library.