Start by marking “The Perilous Journey of the Much-Too-Spontaneous Girl” as Want to Read:
The Perilous Journey of the Much-Too-Spontaneous Girl

The Perilous Journey of the Much-Too-Spontaneous Girl

(The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl #2)

Lady Marguerite Vadnay and her trusty automaton, Outil have settled into life in New France rather well. Marguerite is the top of her class at flight school and her future as an aerpilot is nearly secure. She has everything she wants—except a commission on the pirate hunting dirigible The Renegade. Using every card in her aristocratic arsenal, Marguerite wiggles her way on ...more
Published September 20th 2016 by Month9Books, LLC

Be the first to ask a question about The Perilous Journey of the Much-Too-Spontaneous Girl

Start your review of The Perilous Journey of the Much-Too-Spontaneous Girl
Leigh Statham
Jan 28, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me
This book was a blast to write. I loved being back in Marguerite's steampunk world, and this time I got to dive deeper into the lives of pirates at the peak of their reign. North Carolina is steeped in pirate lore and legend. I visited all the museums I could and read all the books I could get my hands on while I researched this book. It was a wild and bloody time, but much was not as it is portrayed in the movies. I hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing it. Cheers! ...more
Jennifer Jenkins
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Steampunk at its finest! I highly recommend this one, folks. This author weaves a great story. Besides, pirates AND steampunk! Total win-win.
John
***Disclosure: I was provided a free copy in exchange for a review.***

What's Good: the historical references that helped shape the series gets woven more into the fabric of the story. The locales are expanded into the New French (Canadian) wilderness and the southern coastlands of America, if only briefly.

Outil, her personal robot servant, remains the best character in the series, by dint of having to put up with Marguerite's antics and actually showing some growth of her own.

The action is over
Hannah Michaels
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Month9 Books has done me a great favor by gifting me an advanced copy of this book in exchange for a review!

Leigh Statham has crafted a story that tied up the mysterious of the first book, and in the same pages, made those mysteries even larger to carry on to the third. To say I'm in desperate need of the third one immediately in an understatement. If Leigh would like me to beta read for her, I would be more than willing. (Seriously. Call me.)

We are once again accompanying Marguerite, only this
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
Another fantastic book from Leigh Statham. I loved the steampunk imagery and the historical undertones in her story. I hope to see another book in the near future!
The E
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think what I liked best about this book is that our heroine, Marguerite, is selfish but not a terrible person. When she gets called on her crap, she actually assimilates the information. A truly dynamic character.

I did want more of a central conflict -- the conflict resolved in the book's sudden climax doesn't start till halfway through the book, though it is caused by actions Marguerite takes early on. So there is a unity of story, so it didn't bother me too much.
Brooke Banks
I signed up to review because I hadn’t read a fully enjoyable Gaslamp novel in a while and the blurb sounded great. I’d never heard of this program before so I was instantly curious.

Okay, all of this happened after the gorgeous cover caught me, but still, it counts.

What I didn’t count on was it being a sequel in a series. Oops. I ran out of time to read the first book and review it, so I read this first as a standalone. But that may have worked out for the best…

The Good
+easy fun read
+hooked me
Dee
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads:

I didn't totally love the first novel in this series, but I thought it had a lot of potential. After the first book I thought that Marguerite had grown out of her bratty, entitled behavior, but this book sure proved me wrong. That's why unfortunately I found this second book to be a huge disappointment.

I liked the start of the book where we see Marguerite in flight school doing what she wants to do with her life. I liked that, and
Christy
The Perilous Journey of the Much-too-Spontaneous Girl is the second book I’ve read by Leigh Statham. I was really excited for this book to come out because I also read The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl. These books are in the steampunk genre and are perfect for those who like swashbuckling fights.

Marguerite has finally gotten her wish to be a pilot, but she’s not too great at it. She’s much better at the scholarly side of learning than the actual flying part of it. She is a very
Esther Haddie's Haven
DISCLAIMER: I received an e-ARC of this book (as well as a copy of the first book) in exchange for honest review. As it is the second book of this series, this shall be a spoiler-free review.

I have never really read steam-punk before, so this was a first for me. I really liked how the theme held piracy and some of the known names. You definitely need to read the first book to know what you are getting into, to know and be familiar with Marguerite's character. The author's writing style is nice.
Michelle Leonard
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marguerite is back and oh so spontaneous, but that is why we love her so. She's a girl who knows what she wants and goes after it with gusto, without pausing once to consider the consequences of her bold actions. Outil, my favorite sentient bot of all-time, continues to amaze in this second book. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone else, but I got exactly what I was hoping for in the ending plus my expectations are high for what is to come. Great 2nd book, and I'm eagerly awaiting the third. Fa ...more
Audrey
about 3.5 stars -- a solid steampunk adventure

In this sequel, Marguerite acts very rashly with serious consequences. But she learns and grows from the resulting adventure. It felt a little slow near the beginning but then picked up nicely. There are some typographical errors and punctuation errors and a few spelling errors (mostly "alright" for "all right").
John Piper
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced reader copy of this book from the publisher for my honest review.

This is a great book! I really like the world that Leigh has created in this series. The characters are well developed, and the dialog is awesome. This series has a lot of potential, and I look forward to reading more. I definitely recommend picking up a copy!
Lisa Shafer
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is still fun steampunk, but I didn't like it quite as well as the first book in the series. The villain is a touch too predictable and the spunky heroine gets tamed a bit too much for my liking. However, it's a good beach read. ...more
April
It was difficult to put this book down! So many incredible steps and mis-steps by the heroine.
Brooke Curnow
Jan 24, 2019
R.L.
Aug 11, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
A huge letdown for me after the first book in the series. It seemed like the author was in a rush to get this book out. Couldn't finish. ...more
Patricia
Jul 20, 2020
Jonathan
Nov 08, 2017
Kayleigh
rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2019

• The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales: Expanded Edition
  • The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography
  • Boneseeker
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Princesses Behaving Badly: Real Stories from History—without the Fairy-Tale Endings
  • Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters
  • All about history: Book of Weird history
  • Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles, #4.5)
  • The Lady in the Coppergate Tower (Steampunk Proper Romance #3)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
  • The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1)
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • Kiss of the Spindle (Steampunk Proper Romance #2)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Lost Book of the White (The Eldest Curses, #2)
  • Lord Fenton's Folly
Leigh Statham was raised in the wilds of rural Idaho, but found her heart on the East Coast. She worked as a waitress, maid, artist, math teacher, nurse, web designer, art director, thirty-foot inflatable pig and mule wrangler before she settled down in the semi-quiet role of teacher, mother, and writer. She resides in North Carolina with her four children, three dogs, and lots of cookie recipes. ...more

The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl (2 books)
  • The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl (The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl #1)