Jump to ratings and reviews

The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl #2

The Perilous Journey of the Much-Too-Spontaneous Girl

Lady Marguerite Vadnay and her trusty automaton, Outil have settled into life in New France rather well. Marguerite is the top of her class at flight school and her future as an aerpilot is nearly secure. She has everything she wants—except a commission on the pirate hunting dirigible The Renegade. Using every card in her aristocratic arsenal, Marguerite wiggles her way onto the finest warship France has to offer. But as usual, Marguerite’s plans endanger the lives of those she holds dear— only this time no one else is going to save them. As she and Outil set off on a rescue mission they may not return from, Marguerite finally realizes it’s time to reorder her cogs. This steampunk adventure is littered with facts from The Golden Age of Piracy and follows (not too closely) some of the lives and adventures of the brave men and women who sailed the seas as privateers, pirates and soldiers.

297 pages, Paperback

First published September 20, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Leigh Statham

12 books263 followers
Leigh Statham was raised in the wilds of rural Idaho, but found her heart on the East Coast. She worked as a waitress, maid, artist, math teacher, nurse, web designer, art director, thirty-foot inflatable pig and mule wrangler before she settled down in the semi-quiet role of teacher, mother, and writer. She resides in North Carolina with her four children, three dogs, and lots of cookie recipes.

Leigh is also the managing editor for the Teen Author Boot Camp poetry collection and a full-time high school English teacher. She has an MFA in YA literature and enjoys speaking engagements with book lovers of all ages.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (10%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews
Profile Image for Leigh Statham.
Author 12 books263 followers
Read
September 22, 2016
This book was a blast to write. I loved being back in Marguerite's steampunk world, and this time I got to dive deeper into the lives of pirates at the peak of their reign. North Carolina is steeped in pirate lore and legend. I visited all the museums I could and read all the books I could get my hands on while I researched this book. It was a wild and bloody time, but much was not as it is portrayed in the movies. I hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing it. Cheers!
Profile Image for Jennifer Jenkins.
Author 10 books274 followers
September 22, 2016
Steampunk at its finest! I highly recommend this one, folks. This author weaves a great story. Besides, pirates AND steampunk! Total win-win.
Profile Image for Hannah Michaels.
567 reviews11 followers
September 13, 2016
Month9 Books has done me a great favor by gifting me an advanced copy of this book in exchange for a review!

Leigh Statham has crafted a story that tied up the mysterious of the first book, and in the same pages, made those mysteries even larger to carry on to the third. To say I'm in desperate need of the third one immediately in an understatement. If Leigh would like me to beta read for her, I would be more than willing. (Seriously. Call me.)

We are once again accompanying Marguerite, only this time she's based in New France instead of her stately mansion in France, safe and comfortable in her well to do life with her father. Marguerite has been busy carving out her own life in New France, taking up a position learning how to fly and quickly becoming the best student in the school. Jacques is still passionately chasing her (and blessed be, she has the strength to resist him, because I surely do not). She refuses to marry him until she outranks him. Claude, bless him, is married with his wife on his homestead out in the territories.

When Jacques gets assigned to a new commission, being a man without a wife or child to keep him behind, he has no choice but to take the King's orders. And Marguerite will do anything she has to do to get on that ship with him. Spoiler alert: she does. And on top of that, Marguerite is reunited with the father she ran away from and they begin to repair their relationship, but he has a few choice things to say about her new education and her life's plan.

How does all of this come together? What HUGE revelation comes about in the end of the book?! I literally cannot say because it's too big and it'll ruin the rest of my review because I'm pretty sure my heart stopped while I was at work reading it. SO! You'll have to READ to find out!

These books aren't very long, which is totally fine. I love long winded books, but I also really love short books that are jam packed from cover to cover with action, suspense, romance, and a little bit of a headstrong woman. Marguerite is the perfect character to keep you coming back for me and to keep you turning the pages. She's funny, a bit spoiled, presumptuous, and entirely unpredictable, and that provides the most entertaining adventure.

And also thanks to these books, I've been in a real Steampunk, Victorian mood recently. So no other book is satisfying that itch. Leigh makes a perfectly unexpected series that I need more of immediately! :) You should have read the first one long before now but, if you haven't, do yourself a favor and pick both of them up and have yourself a Steampunk Weekend!
Profile Image for John.
134 reviews22 followers
October 11, 2016
***Disclosure: I was provided a free copy in exchange for a review.***

What's Good: the historical references that helped shape the series gets woven more into the fabric of the story. The locales are expanded into the New French (Canadian) wilderness and the southern coastlands of America, if only briefly.

Outil, her personal robot servant, remains the best character in the series, by dint of having to put up with Marguerite's antics and actually showing some growth of her own.

The action is over the top, like watching a 50's swashbuckling movie, and a little hard to follow at times, but you can roll with it.

Catching up with Claude and his new wife gave Marguerite a much-needed dose of reality. The reality of their struggles on the frontier hit her hard; a refreshing change from the playpen the author made the world seem to be so far. Too bad it didn't really stick.

What's Bad: Marguerite continues to indulge in her bratty, entitled, self-centered behaviour to the point where she literally endangers everyone and everything around her. After a year of flight school- with apparently little to no socialization with her fellow students- she's learned much of nothing. After the first book and a few rounds of '...but, I was only trying to help, etc' in this one, you'd think she'd have gotten the point.

She's also a bit of a flirt. During yet another misadventure, she encounters a group of Iroquois men who help her locate her friend, Claude. She basically treats them as man candy, making eyes with one of their leaders as her lady parts get all tingly, and even gets to play dress up when she's given some native clothes to wear- because she's so pretty. Maybe the author was trying to show diversity or Marguerite becoming more of a woman- it doesn't accomplish anything but making you dislike her almost to the point of putting the book down.

Jacques, her love interest, gets a little more depth added to him, but not much. Still reminds me of Cary Grant suffering through his lady love's antics because... well, love.

The plot, like Marguerite herself, often indulges in flights of fancy. There's a twist that goes right to the core of the storyline but gets handled almost as an afterthought- even the parties involved treat it like 'and then this happened', which severely lessened its impact.

What's Left: more of the same from the first book, maybe even lighter in tone despite being the middle book and having to do all the heavy lifting to set up the finale. Needs to show more of the world and what it means to live in it instead of just a backdrop for all the toys and a sandbox for rich people to play in.

2.5/5 stars
Profile Image for Sarah.
614 reviews2 followers
January 30, 2017
Another fantastic book from Leigh Statham. I loved the steampunk imagery and the historical undertones in her story. I hope to see another book in the near future!
Profile Image for The E.
47 reviews6 followers
May 25, 2018
I think what I liked best about this book is that our heroine, Marguerite, is selfish but not a terrible person. When she gets called on her crap, she actually assimilates the information. A truly dynamic character.

I did want more of a central conflict -- the conflict resolved in the book's sudden climax doesn't start till halfway through the book, though it is caused by actions Marguerite takes early on. So there is a unity of story, so it didn't bother me too much.
Profile Image for Brooke Banks.
899 reviews175 followers
October 6, 2016
I signed up to review because I hadn’t read a fully enjoyable Gaslamp novel in a while and the blurb sounded great. I’d never heard of this program before so I was instantly curious.

Okay, all of this happened after the gorgeous cover caught me, but still, it counts.

What I didn’t count on was it being a sequel in a series. Oops. I ran out of time to read the first book and review it, so I read this first as a standalone. But that may have worked out for the best…

The Good
+easy fun read
+hooked me from the get-go
+liked all the characters
+perspectives were spot-on
+loved the character growth
+didn't see the surprises coming

The Bad & The Other
-Halfway through Marguerite almost lost me with her antics
- Iroquois men seen as exotic man candy, which is problematic and not called out like the classism is.

Right away, I was pulled into the story. It was easy on the eyes and flowed beautifully. There’s plenty of refresher information so I didn’t feel like I missed anything. It was quite comfortable just jumping in. My luck paid off and the good feeling lasted.

Marguerite and Outil, the automaton, were a blast. Marguerite’s voice was spot on with her airs and perspective. She really is too spontaneous. I was cursing her stupid actions from the beginning, but wasn’t put off; I was cheering for her to get it right. It was only after numerous occasions of the same kind of stunts and her persistent privilege that it finally got to me.

I was about to say fuck this, but she turned it around right after. And I mean RIGHT AFTER I was tired of her antics. Then the threads came together, and she stepped up. I loved how she was authentically flawed from this standpoint at first and thankfully she progressed so it didn’t become a liability. It can be right but irritating to read and the line in the sand was drawn in the right spot.

Besides are troublesome heroine and her voice of reason, Jacques the love interest plays the biggest role. They have a push-pull flirty courting-but-not relationship. Marguerite is all about her independence, while Jacques is the “protecting you for your own good” gentleman.

I was on Marguerite’s side at first and then became frustrated how she kept sabotaging herself. She became a liability to where I had to admit the fools had a point about her. That’s, again, when she stepped up. I was so relieved! Then ~stuff~ was revealed that I didn’t see coming because I was wrapped up in her narrative. Now I’m like “Well, you both learned your lesson. You’ll be better next time. I look forward to it.”

There’s one other thing to mention though…Minor Spoilers Below:

Marguerite grows from her elitist views of other airwomen and lower class women in general. Which is fantastic. Really. (Though she doesn’t spare the same thought for lower-class men.) And I was quite pleased how she was corrected in regards to the Iroquois and legitimately changed.

“I am Iroquois, and my people are native to this land, but we are not native in the way you suggest.” His voice was proud and sharp.

She stopped calling them “natives” very quickly. What also happened was being attracted to the man like *that*. It was all animal lust tied into how different he was. She had to remind herself OF Jacques. It’s hard to pinpoint, but all their interactions felt…improper.

She wondered what her father, or any of the upper classes of France, would say if she walked into a ball with Otetiani on her arm. My, but he was handsome.

She started with the sheltered perspective of what white academics thought of the “natives” in books, and grew a tiny bit. And swooned. But they remained curiosities and fantasies to her using stereotypes of men of color. Which made me uncomfortable to say the least.

Plus, given I though Iroquois were matrilineal I was rather disappointed we only saw the men and that the men weren’t different living in a society like that. I mean, why flirt with the white girl that would have nothing in your society so you’d have nothing too? How would that even work? Would the women decide to accept her in or shun them both? Why is it automatically assume he’d move with her to her society and not the other way around?

Hmmmm….
664 reviews23 followers
October 7, 2016
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads:

I didn't totally love the first novel in this series, but I thought it had a lot of potential. After the first book I thought that Marguerite had grown out of her bratty, entitled behavior, but this book sure proved me wrong. That's why unfortunately I found this second book to be a huge disappointment.

I liked the start of the book where we see Marguerite in flight school doing what she wants to do with her life. I liked that, and I also liked that we see her fail at something because the whole first book she was amazing at everything she did. I think it's good to show that you have to fail to figure things out for yourself, so I thought this book would be a lot about self-discovery and she would improve her behavior, but not so much.

It's clear that Marguerite was used to a life of getting what she wanted and we see this when she bribes her way into getting a pretty high position on a military ship. I thought that was so unrealistic, so I was actually glad that Jacques puts her onto the galley ship in the fleet. It seemed at first she was learning that she needed to work hard to achieve success, and I was really glad she finally found a girl friend. Unfortunately that growth in her personality didn't last, because again Marguerite thinks only about herself and what she wants, so she hatches a plan to leave the galley ship. A really stupid one.

I had a really hard time with this novel, and mostly because I just couldn't relate to this character. I felt like Marguerite was just always going to be a spoiled brat that was used to getting her way, so I just couldn't root for her. I honestly agreed with Jacques a lot of times in this book, and I found him to be a much more complex and interesting character. I kind of wanted to read a book in his perspective more. My biggest problem with the novel was that it felt like Marguerite didn't really grow from her experience in the first novel, and at the end of this one I didn't feel like she was changed either. I think that was why I was so disappointed with this book. I wanted to see a more mature, level-headed Marguerite but I just felt like she was even more immature than in the first novel. I don't know, maybe I'm showing my age too much here, but I had a huge problem with her behavior in this sequel.

My biggest issue with this novel was just the character, but I think the world building and the political plot was interesting. Steampunk is a cool concept, and I think I was able to stick it out with this book because I was curious to see how the fleet was going to outsmart the pirates they were fighting. There is something a little predictable in the plot regarding the pirate captain, but even if it was predictable, I really liked that I was right about it! I just don't think this series is for me anymore. When I can't get behind the main protagonist, I just have a huge issue liking a book.The setting was really cool, so if you enjoyed the first novel I would still recommend you try this one for yourself first.

*I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Esther Haddie's Haven.
899 reviews56 followers
September 20, 2016
DISCLAIMER: I received an e-ARC of this book (as well as a copy of the first book) in exchange for honest review. As it is the second book of this series, this shall be a spoiler-free review.

I have never really read steam-punk before, so this was a first for me. I really liked how the theme held piracy and some of the known names. You definitely need to read the first book to know what you are getting into, to know and be familiar with Marguerite's character. The author's writing style is nice. Also, did you see that cover up there? Whomever the cover artist is, they did a great job trying to capture Marguerite in her element.

This book follows the same 17th century theme as the first book. I love how it is not necessarily historical fiction. If you are looking to get into reading Steampunk, this is definitely the book (series) for you. Definitely read it in order so you don't get lost. And enjoy!
Profile Image for Christy.
817 reviews34 followers
September 23, 2016
The Perilous Journey of the Much-too-Spontaneous Girl is the second book I’ve read by Leigh Statham. I was really excited for this book to come out because I also read The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl. These books are in the steampunk genre and are perfect for those who like swashbuckling fights.

Marguerite has finally gotten her wish to be a pilot, but she’s not too great at it. She’s much better at the scholarly side of learning than the actual flying part of it. She is a very fun character who gets to go on very exciting adventures….though she’s got to be sneaky to get there! I really like all of the characters in this book and am so glad Claude shows up!

This book is filled with adventure and twists and turns that you won’t expect. If you’re a fan of the steampunk genre, I definitely recommend this series. Just be sure you start with the first book or you’ll be lost!
Profile Image for Christy.
817 reviews34 followers
September 27, 2016

Profile Image for Michelle Leonard.
Author 1 book6 followers
November 24, 2016
Marguerite is back and oh so spontaneous, but that is why we love her so. She's a girl who knows what she wants and goes after it with gusto, without pausing once to consider the consequences of her bold actions. Outil, my favorite sentient bot of all-time, continues to amaze in this second book. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone else, but I got exactly what I was hoping for in the ending plus my expectations are high for what is to come. Great 2nd book, and I'm eagerly awaiting the third. Favorite thing about Marguerite: her love of French silks and dresses with pockets mixed with bravery and being know as a girl who gets "stuff" done.
Profile Image for John Piper.
1,054 reviews17 followers
September 22, 2016
I received an advanced reader copy of this book from the publisher for my honest review.

This is a great book! I really like the world that Leigh has created in this series. The characters are well developed, and the dialog is awesome. This series has a lot of potential, and I look forward to reading more. I definitely recommend picking up a copy!
Profile Image for Audrey.
997 reviews152 followers
December 3, 2016
about 3.5 stars -- a solid steampunk adventure

In this sequel, Marguerite acts very rashly with serious consequences. But she learns and grows from the resulting adventure. It felt a little slow near the beginning but then picked up nicely. There are some typographical errors and punctuation errors and a few spelling errors (mostly "alright" for "all right").
Profile Image for Lisa Shafer.
Author 5 books51 followers
October 23, 2016
This is still fun steampunk, but I didn't like it quite as well as the first book in the series. The villain is a touch too predictable and the spunky heroine gets tamed a bit too much for my liking. However, it's a good beach read.
Profile Image for April.
139 reviews5 followers
Read
September 12, 2016
It was difficult to put this book down! So many incredible steps and mis-steps by the heroine.
Profile Image for R.L..
432 reviews
Shelved as 'did-not-finish'
August 11, 2018
A huge letdown for me after the first book in the series. It seemed like the author was in a rush to get this book out. Couldn't finish.
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.