Start by marking “Boone Shepard (Boone Shepard, #1)” as Want to Read:
Boone Shepard (Boone Shepard, #1)

Boone Shepard (Boone Shepard, #1)

“This is a true account of certain events that occurred in Scotland in 1965. You might have heard the rumours—whispers of an evil plot involving time travel, dangerous experiments, a secret fortress, a terrible book, famous authors and, regrettably, murder.
You might also have heard of heroes who were caught up in this plot, fighting to do the right thing. That sounds a lo
Published April 26th 2016 by Bell Frog Books

To ask other readers questions about Boone Shepard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boone Shepard

Start your review of Boone Shepard (Boone Shepard, #1)
Sean Carney
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Allow me to preface this by saying that I know the author. He's a friend, and I take enormous satisfaction out of making fun of him. But on this occasion I cannot. He's written a book that is just really bloody good. If you grew up loving Indiana Jones, Tintin, Doctor Who, or Lemony Snicket then Boone Sheppard is the hero you deserve. Bring on book two!
Michael
Sep 10, 2020 added it
Recommends it for: YA readers
A most enjoyable lark, time travel adventure - 5 stars.
Caitlyn Hardiman
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whether the character is Indiana Jones, Tintin, Robert Langdon or a group of children (famous, secret, wizard or otherwise), each generation of reader has its fictional adventuring heroes. These characters, through accident or circumstance, see themselves thrown into dangerous situations and are required to solve mysteries unveiling great conspiracies.

It is important to have these seemingly impervious characters in our lives because as a species we are obsessed with danger, and through these her
Readingee
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was okay, I wish I could find more reasons to like it to be honest, but I found the plot to be flat and uneventful. It was almost as if there were too many things going on that it was hard to keep up, and for me at least the plot line plateaued. The constant changing of time frames was just confusing it was all too much that the story was lost in between.

I think the concept of a good story was there, but I think maybe if there was less of changing of time frames then it would've run more smo
Ed Pettifer
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fun filled romp, deconstructing those iconic images of classic gothic horror.

This story captures a perfect balance of action and heart, hurtling you down a roller coaster of twists and turns before screeching to a halt to let the fantastic characters breathe and flourish.

Trying to explain it will not do this book justice, so all I will say is that this is a story that keep throwing you curveballs. Each turn of the page reveals something completely unexpected and yet perfectly satisfying.

It'
Michael
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Books are for nerds, and I liked this book, therefore I am a jalapeño.
Barbara Guertin
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most brilliant books I've ever read! Couldn't put it down. I cried, laughed, was mad, was in shock, and was terrified. Amazing.
Jaime
Aug 15, 2019 added it
I first listened to Boone Shepard as three chapters of an audio book, released by Sanspants Radio. I first found out about Gabe through the same network, and I've never stopped following his work. I listened to him passionately pitch ideas on Movie Maintenance, saw those pitches become plays, read his blog all the way up until now. And that added layer of connection to the book, that combination of author and work, is why I liked Boone Shepard as much as I did when I eventually got a physical co ...more
Luke Jackson
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Boone, Gabe has created an instantly likeable, engaging and exciting character that you cant help but root for.
This first book crams action, intrigue and tension into is relatively few pages but despite this it is the characters that shine. Chiefly the relationship between Boone and Promethia which is wonderfully written and their conversations jump off the page with a realness not often seen in a YA novel.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book for children and adults alike and predict great th
Jack Delaney
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read in the vein of Indiana Jones mixed with gothic elements which I loved. A promising first book from Gabe, I will definitely be reading whatever he brings out next. Thanks for the fun and easy read.
Colin Parfitt
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I was able to suspend my disbelief when Oscar Wilde met the inspiration for Dorian Gray, and when Bram Stoker met “Dracula” but then Henry Sherlock turns up and I’d had enough.
Jennie
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shifting between the 1960s back in time to the 1880s Boone Shepard, in his efforts to destroy evidence of a dark crime from his (long distant) past, hurtles from one misadventure to another. The author employs a mix of slapstick humour, dry wit, cliche, innuendo, pathos and action packed writing in this very clever gothic story. In search of a damning manuscript and driven by his editor to report on bizarre and mysterious crimes, Boone, teamed with a resourceful, acerbic and clever female photog ...more
Brooklyn Tuesday
This book is a fun read. It's loaded with outlandish characters and strange story lines that twist and weave around supernatural creatures and some of history's most notable writers. From Oscar Wilde to Bram Stoker, to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, it's bursting at the seams with literary cameos and new takes on old faces.

Then there's Boone Shepard, the quirky, awkward, and all-too-in-love-with-his-motorbike journalist who finds himself swept up in the plans of vampires, werewolves, and time travelle
Marj Osborne
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
There's a lot to like about Boone Shepard. It's a fun, action-packed, engaging time slip novel with plenty of allusions to modern classics.
So, why a 3 1/2 star rating?
Personally I found the writing quite uneven; jumpy, in fact, particularly at the beginning of the novel. I felt that we lurched into the action at the pace of a runaway train. The author didn't bother to bed down the characters or set the scene at the beginning of the story. Perhaps it's a film script technique? Whatever, there w
Josephine Dolmans
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
thank you to goodreads and Gabriel bergmoser for giving me a chance to read this book. this is a well written book and easy to read.
boone shepard is not your usual newspaper journalist. he is an adventurous motorcycle riding journalist who will go to great lengths to get a story, wherever he has to go.
along the way he does some heroic actions; and meets some very strange people.
he finds some strange machines. and also finds a girlfriend. I enjoyed it.

Josephine dolmans
8 pine crescent
browns plain
Caitlin
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Disclaimer: I won this book from a giveaway sponsored by GoodReads.

I really likes this book, it was full of twists and laughs and tears to be honest. It was an easy read that you couldn't put down. I really liked the changes of time periods and how the characters grew throughout the book. The ending though was very unexpected and I can't wait to read the second book!
Noelene
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I won this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway. It was an easy read. The story line had twists in it and the novel is written in such a way that a sequel could easily be written. An Australian author that I have never heard of before. The story was suitable for YA.
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, exciting story about a not-so-young journalist and his spectacular (...catastrophic?) antics. Very fun to read, and will get you in the mood for some adventure! There's something in this book for all ages, and it will have you turning pages like there's no tomorrow. 5/5 would read again.
Sarah Ward
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great adventure story for all ages
Grace
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book rekindled my desire to be an investigative journalist. A fun adventure that's delightful to read at any age.
Alyce
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not only did my friend write a real published book, but its also a kickass one too.
Sign me up for the next adventure Boone Shepard and Promethia go on!
Alley
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This man is legit
Mark Harris
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great thrill ride! That youthful optimism and spirit of adventure. If you like Tin Tin, Uncharted, Indiana Jones, or Doctor Who... this is for you.
Oliver Pawsey
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audiobook on Sanspants Radio podcasts. An enjoyable romp through time and literature.
Evan
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's real good. Books are for nerds, but this is an exception. 10/10 would bang.
Noah Kneipp

• Safe With Me
  • Down, Not Out
  • The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World's Most Wanted Man
  • Ring (Ring, #1)
  • Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture: The Application of Biblical Theology to Expository Preaching
  • Cur Deus Homo
  • Good Muslim Boy
  • Ayoade on Ayoade: A Cinematic Odyssey
  • Weird: Because Normal Isn't Working
  • Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ
Gabriel Bergmoser is a Melbourne based author and playwright. After starting out in the youth theatre scene with his early plays Windmills, Life Without Me and Hometown, Gabriel completed his Masters of Screenwriting at the Victorian College of the Arts. He co-founded the independent production company Bitten By Productions, entering the Melbourne theatre scene with the one-act comedy Reunion and ...more