Jump to ratings and reviews
In MIDNIGHT JEWEL, Richelle Mead goes beyond the glitz and glamour of the Glittering Court, delving into the dark, political underbelly of Cape Triumph through the eyes of one girl who dares to fight for her freedom.

A refugee of war, Mira was cast out of her home country and thrust into another, where the conditions were inhospitable at best. In a life-altering twist of fate, she is given the chance to escape once more, and she takes it, joining the Glittering Court.

Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies who appear destined for powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. There, Mira finds herself subjected to persecution, not only from her fellow Glittering Court jewels, but from her suitors, as well—men she would potentially be expected to give her life to.

By day, she goes through the motions, learning the etiquette and customs that will help to earn her anonymity, even making a couple true friends in the process, the forthright ladies’ maid Adelaide and the ambitious laundress Tamsin. But by night, Mira hatches a different plan entirely—one that, if exposed, could get her hanged in the highest court of Adoria.

MIDNIGHT JEWEL is the extraordinary story of a girl with few options who courageously forges a new path, finding love, passion, lifelong friendships, and maybe even a way to freedom.

416 pages, Hardcover

First published June 27, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Richelle Mead

92 books66.9k followers

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away from books (either reading or writing them), she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses. She's a self-professed coffee addict and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
376 (4%)
1 star
104 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 774 reviews
Profile Image for Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ .
1,255 reviews8,650 followers
September 24, 2017
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Last year THE GLITTERING COURT was one of my most anticipated new releases, and despite discovering that it 1. Had nothing to do with Fae, and 2. Was half-fantasy, it was one of my top ten books of 2016.

MIDNIGHT JEWEL was even better.

BUT.

The story doesn't pick up where it left off, with Adelaide and Cedric beginning their HEA in Adoria's version of Rhode Island, it returns to the beginning, and tells the same story from Mira's POV.

I wasn't bothered by this at all. I didn't reread TGC, but I remember how, as the story progressed, the girls had less and less daily interaction, so by the time they were on the ship, sailing towards the new world (which happened way quicker in Mira's tale), their paths had completely diverged.

So no pesky "refresher" plot summaries from the first installment, which IMO are what ruin POV-switch stories.

Also, as much as I liked Adelaide, once you get past the whole cash-poor-blueblood-running-away-to-choose-her-own-destiny thing, falling in love with a fervently religious type isn't super exciting.

SPOILERS from The Glittering Court past this point.

Mira, on the other hand . . . I had figured her out long before her story was told, and I wanted to know more.

B/c PIRATE.

Or Robin Hood-like land pirate, but whatever, a pirate is a pirate, and it was obvious that Mira was sneaking out the attic window to play Lady Aviel--so much more exciting than Adelaide, who was sneaking out the same window to see a boy and/or warn him that his secret worship service was about to be crashed by intolerants.

Mira's story was plot-twistier too, and being an anti-hero pirate was only one of her secrets.

It all added up to a better second installment, which, as we all know, is rarely the case, especially in YA series.

Now all I can do is impatiently wait for Tamsin's version of the same events, and given how both installments end with her showing up to Cedric's trial with an army of Icori, I'm confident that Mead's latest series will out with a bang.

Highly recommended.

Jessica Signature
Profile Image for Jennifer.
1,797 reviews
July 27, 2017
From the author: For those who don't know the series set-up, each book is self-contained and covers the same story and timeline from a different character's point of view. I'd say about 15% of the scenes overlap in the two books, so I've got to make sure when that happens, every piece of dialogue matches. The rest of the material is all new, but it still has to keep pace with the first book and not contradict anything. #2's narrator (Mira) has a darker view of the story and also gives us a new perspective on #1's narrator (Adelaide). #1 had some mysteries about what the other characters were up to, and I'm excited for everyone to see what Mira's actually been doing. And who she's been doing it with.

My review: Midnight Jewel is book two in the Young Adult The Glittering Court series. The narrator is Mira (told in first person POV).

Since this is supposed to be the same story told from each girl's POV I wondered how the author would do that. But I was captivated right from the first chapter when we see Mira and Cedric.

The question is could someone read this book who has not read The Glittering Court (book 1)? I suppose it would be possible. Midnight Jewel is a self-contained story. However, I definitely think that these books are meant to be read in order. If you haven't read the first book then you wouldn't know who Cedric is. And you wouldn't know about Adelaide's past. I think that the series is best read in order.

I was extremely impressed with Midnight Jewel. It's the same story, but yet it's so different. There were really so many things that Mira was doing that the reader was unaware of during book 1. So it was nice to finally get to read the story of what was actually happening.

Yes, some of what happens towards the end is a rehash of what happened in The Glittering Court. So that part loses its shock value. But that would be my only complaint. Midnight Jewel does continue on after what we saw in The Glittering Court. So that part was good. I look forward to reading about Tamsin's experiences. Since she is absent for much of the story. It will be nice to see what actually happened to her.

Profile Image for Penny.
717 reviews206 followers
August 13, 2019
I found it boring.

I admit I feel disappointed. I expect a lot from Richelle Mead, I expect her to make me feel and keep me on edge. Here however, I couldn't manage any emotional investment. There are way too many parallels to the first book, and since I read one book after the other I found reading the same story tedios. In my opinion, it is a shame that the two books are so similar. The plot does change but everything that happens behind it is the same because both stories are happening simultaneously. Although, in actuality, that both stories happen simultaneously, and that the book is filled with parallels is not the problem. The real problem for me is that the way the background story is told leaves no intrigue, no mystery, no new angle, so it feels repetitive. I lost interest quickly and I almost left the book unfinished.

Nevertheless, I do want to give the next installment a try. I can't and won't give up on Richelle Mead, after all, she is responsible for two of my favorite series of all time:
- Vampire Academy Series
- Georgina Kincaid Series

The Emerald Sea (Glittering Court, #3) - 3 stars
Profile Image for Alyssa.
1,069 reviews838 followers

Book Two of The Glittering Court series
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: June 27, 2017
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

What I Liked:

This might be a case of "it's-not-you-it's-me" - but I was not feeling this book. I really enjoyed The Glittering Court, but I didn't feel the same enthusiasm while reading this book. It could have been a number of factors, but ultimately, I think this book wasn't as great as its predecessor. It could have been me, but I don't think that is why I didn't love this book.

This series is a companion series, in which each book features a different protagonist. However, each book takes places simultaneously - for example, the storyline of The Glittering Court runs parallel to the storyline of Midnight Jewel. We see Cedric and Adelaide fall in love (from a distance though), and we see them get sent to the colony, and so on, as was told in The Glittering Court. Midnight Jewel is Mira's story, told from Mira's first-person POV.

Mira was cast out from her country, and as a foreign-looking foreigner, she stands out in her new country (and not in a good way). She joins the Glittering Court not specifically looking for a husband, but wanting to escape a certain lifestyle - and to be able to pay off her brother's debt. But then Mira gets herself involved in dangerous situations to help others, and suddenly it's not just about the Glittering Court, or her brother. Mira's life is over if she is caught - but this savvy girl isn't about to get caught.

I adored Mira in the previous book, so I was really happy to see that she would be the protagonist of this book. She is tough and headstrong, brave and persistent. She goes after what she wants with no fear, and she doesn't think twice to help others, even if that means endangering herself. Mira is every bit as complex and likable as I expected her to be.

I liked her relationship with Adelaide. The two become very close friends and they share a great bond of friendship and sisterhood. No cattiness or pettiness comes between them, even though they are technically competing against each other within the Glittering Court. Tamsin is a good friend but she is also very competitive and looks out for herself. I'm very interested in seeing more of her story (hopefully in the next book) - she isn't totally likable but she is an interesting girl.

Grant Elliott is the other important protagonist in this book and I liked him a lot. He is so clever and sneaky - he has a disguise and a face for everything. He seems like he has no softer emotions and doesn't like commitment, but he is a good guy and he softens a lot. He is a smart protagonist and I liked following his moves.

He and Mira are the couple of this story and I liked this pairing, though I would have loved to see more physical interaction between them. They are a great pair on paper, with lots of spark and passion between them. I wanted more kissing!

I'll talk about the plot and the story itself in the next section. Overall, the story moves along and I wasn't in danger of DNF-ing the book. The ending is very fast-paced but ends well, especially for Grant and Mira. The ending was satisfying and I definitely want to see how the series continues, with the next book.

What I Did Not Like:

There were a couple of things that I wanted more of, as general as they'll sound. I honestly thought the story moved too slowly. Like I said before, I wasn't in danger of DNF-ing the book; however, I was bored at many points during the story. The pace was just too slow and the story wasn't keeping my interest. I should have finished this book two months ago in May, but I wasn't feeling the story then, and I really wasn't feeling it now.

The thing is, this book is big, the story long. I usually don't mind long stories/big books. But you really feel the length, with this one. The story takes place over months, but I felt like parts of the story could have been dropped. There was nothing important happening at X, Y, and Z points, but at A, B, and C, too much was happening, and sometimes the "too much" didn't seem to make sense together. I know none of this is really making sense but the long and short of it is that this book was a little on the boring side, with slow pacing and a meandering plot.

Honestly? I don't even know what Grant and Mira were doing together (in terms of the subterfuge and gathering of information). Grant hires Mira to do some covert spying - but I can't even remember why, to what end. It's so bad, when you don't even quite grasp one of the biggest points of the story. I don't know what Grant was looking for, or what Mira was fighting for. Notice how vague my summarized synopsis was, at the beginning of my review (not the Goodreads synopsis)? It's because I either didn't know things or forgot things. Which is bad, because it means I wasn't interested.

The romance was another thing I wanted more of. Grant and Mira have such chemistry between them - you can feel the tension and the passion. But there were so few actual kissing and physical scenes, and none of them had nearly enough detail! I wanted more making out! For such passionate and compatible characters, there really needed to be more (steamy) kissing sessions. I wanted to feel the romance, not just emotionally! Even emotionally, I wanted more. At least there wasn't a love triangle!

I really didn't care for Tamsin. She's an interesting character but she isn't totally likable and some of her words and actions in this book kind of make me dislike her a bit. I almost wish she hadn't been a part of this story. But, parallel stories, so she had to have been.

Look, overall, this book is an okay companion sequel, definitely not a bad book. But it comes across as mediocre and forgettable, especially if you put it up against The Glittering Court. I loved the parallel storytelling, especially since I forgot most of what happened in The Glittering Court. But Midnight Jewel, in general did not shape up next to its predecessor.

Would I Recommend It:

Mead fans should read this book, especially if you've read The Glittering Court. It's not a bad novel! Just... not super great. I wasn't really impressed, or invested, or totally interested. Which is sad, because I adored Mira and really wanted to love her story. Especially with such a yummy male protagonist opposite Mira. Grant is all kinds of awesome, and swoony. Anyway, Mead fans, go for it. People who aren't a Mead fan, or who haven't read The Glittering Court, you can skip Midnight Jewel. The first book was fabulous and I recommend it, but I don't really recommend this book.

Rating:

3 stars. Again, this wasn't a bad book, and there is a huge possibility that it was just me, in terms of my "mehhh" feeling. But. I don't think so. This book didn't have the same spark that The Glittering Court did. Something about this story just wasn't as satisfying or interesting. But that's okay! I'll be looking out for the next book, hopefully next year.
Profile Image for Erin .
1,203 reviews1,107 followers
September 29, 2017
Much better than The Glittering Court. Its very unusual for book 2 to be better than book 1 but that's the case this time. As I said in my review for The Glittering Court, I thought the main character from book 1 Adelaide was boring and the book lost its thread midway through. Midnight Jewel did not have those problems. The main character Mira is fun, tough, and has an actual personality. I'm so excited to read book 3 because I'm pretty sure that Tamsin's story will be my favorite.
Profile Image for Bri Martinez.
244 reviews46 followers
Shelved as 'never-will-i-ever'
March 8, 2017
Really? The Glittering Court sequel? Ummm, NO.

description

I love Richelle Mead, but I will not be reading this. The first book was boring, terribly predictable, and the ending had one of the biggest cop-outs I've ever come across in a book. Throw in the fact that the romance was lacking in chemistry when that is the focal point of the story, and I'm surprised I finished it. If Richelle Mead writes another series, I will definitely try to read it, but I gave up on The Glittering Court long ago.
Profile Image for Rian *fire and books*.
461 reviews132 followers
December 12, 2021
Update!

It took three times and 49 days of listening off and on but I finished it! I’m leaving my old review but here’s this one in a few sentences.

Mira did have some wicked cool fight scenes but this was more about a political underground than anything. I’m glad she had such a great romance (and sex!). But this took me forever to listen to and I’m not going back for it again. This is, by far, Richelle Mead’s worst series and while I didn’t hate read it at all, I was bored.

Tamsin’s story I’m sure will be full of jealousy for Adelaide, an amazing/harrowing storm, some more political intrigue, and probably another lame hetero pairing at the end. Le sigh.

I’m tired. I don’t want to keep reading this story.

——————————————————————-——

So the last two in the series are supposed to cover the same amount of time, just from Mira and Tamsin's perspectives. Personally, I'm really hoping for Tamsin's as it seems like me the most exciting of them. Plus no stupid gold panning. Ugh.

But I have a sneaky suspicion it could be Mira's that gets told. The problem is, I don't see how her story could contain as much substance as Adelaide's or Tamsin's. Unless she's secretly a princess with plenty of war zone flashbacks, I'm not interested.

To me Mira's character wasn't properly fleshed out. She was always on the fringe, the quiet one nobody wanted. Of course, she is a badass with a crossbow - and of course how she gets her training will make for some cool scenes - but what really is there to Mira?

Maybe that's the point, that she's a mystery. But it's not really one I want to solve. I'm wondering if why I so disliked the Glittering Court was because I can see how much better it would have been if the characters were fairies (you know that cover screamed fantasy!) or there was fantasy involved.

It didn't get billed as an alternate 1800's filled with the nouveau riche, gold panning, Wild West shenanigans of a story and I wish it had. I would have come in with a different mindset.

Instead, I'm disappointed and praying for Tamsin to be the heroine this story desperately needs.
Profile Image for Mina.
77 reviews62 followers
Read
September 19, 2021
یک نکته‌ی خیلی جالب درمورد این مجموعه وجود داره. با اینکه هر سه کتاب به هم مرتبط هستند و برای این که تمام داستان رو بفهمید باید هر سه جلد رو بخونید اما از طرفی می‌تونید هر کدوم رو به عنوان یک تک‌جلدی بخونید و برید سراغ کار و زندگیتون!
ما اینجا سه تا دختر داریم. ادلاید، میرا و تمسین. هرکدوم از این دخترا بدون اینکه همدیگه رو بشناسن با شخصیت‌ها و رفتارهای کاملا متفاوت همزمان وارد دربار درخشان می‌شن، باهم دوست می‌شن و ماجراجویی خودشون رو توی این دنیای جدید شروع می‌کنند. پس ما اینجا چی داریم؟
یک داستان مشترک
سه شخصیت
سه دیدگاه و ماجراهای مختلف
و در نهایت سه کتاب
هرکتاب از دیدگاه یکی از این دخترا!
به همین علته که هرجلد این مجموعه برای خودش تک‌جلدی به حساب میاد اما برای اینکه از همه‌ی ابعاد و رمز و رازهای داستان اصلی با خبر بشید باید هر سه جلد رو بخونید.( و البته که پیشنهاد بنده اینه که به ترتیب بخونید.😁)
توی جلد اول ماجرای ادلاید رو خوندیم و حالا توی جلد دوم نوبت میراست. آقا من قبل از اینکه کتاب رو بخونم فکر می‌کردم میرا یه دختر خیلی خجالتی و سر به زیر باشه که کم کم جسور می‌شه ‌و این حرفا اما در حقیقت میرا از همون اول جسور و سرکش و شجاعه برای همین من کلا شوکه شدم.😂 فکر می‌کنم برای همینه که جلد دوم محبوبیت بیشتری نسبت به جلد اول و همچنین امتیاز بالاتری داره. میرا اون دختریه که بیشتر مخاطب‌ها دوست دارند. شجاع، جسور و توی کار مبارزه و جاسوسی و این چیز میزا!( فکر می‌کنم با همین چند کلمه و البته با دیدن کاور کتاب متوجه شدید فاز جلد دوم چقدر با جلد اول متفاوته.🤭) واقعا هم خوندن این کتاب جالب بود چون هم می‌تونستم شخصیت میرا رو بشناسم و رمز و رازهایی که داره رو بدونم و هم شخصیت جلد اول، ادلاید رو از دید میرا ببینم.
ریچل مید خانم، نویسنده‌ی کتاب هم شخصیت‌های جالبی خلق می‌کنه و هم کتابای متفاوتی می‌نویسه و برای همین از نویسنده‌های مورد علاقه‌ی منه. ( جا داره اشاره کنم ایشون نویسنده‌ی مجموعه‌ی آکادمی خون‌آشام و کتاب بی‌صدایی هم هست.)
راستش رو بخواید جلد اول رو یه کوچولو بیشتر دوست داشتم چون هم ساختار متفاوتی نسبت به داستان‌های مشابه خودش داشت و هم رشد شخصیتی ادلاید برام یکم جذاب‌تر بود. (توی اسلاید سوم و چهارم برای کسایی که جلد اول رو خوندن توضیحات بیشتری در این مورد دادم) اما
از جلد دوم هم لذت بردم (به ویژه ۱۰۰ص آخر کتاب 👀) و همون‌طور که قبل‌تر گفتم بیشتر خواننده های این مجموعه جلد دوم رو بیشتر دوست دارند پس نگران نباشید و بدانید یه عالمه ماجرای جذاب در انتظار شماست.😉
پ.ن. یه سری از دوستان می‌گن این مجموعه شبیه مجموعه‌ی انتخاب و جواهره اما من به شما می‌گم که نیست! از وقتی جلد اول رو خوندم این حرف رو می‌زدم الانم بعد از خوندن جلد دوم دیگه به صورت کاملا قاطعانه از حرفم دفاع می‌کنم. یک بار دیگه کسی بگه دربار درخشان با اون دوتا شباهتی داره جمع می‌کنم از ایران می‌رم.( گرفتید نکته رو؟ فهمیدید باید چی بگید و بهم لطف کنید؟ بلکه ایشالله معرفی‌های بعدی رو از اونور آب بذارم.😂🤣)
پ.ن. جلد سوم هم امتیاز بالاتری نسبت به این دو جلد اول داره و هم همینجوریشم از داستان مشخصه که تمسین قراره ماجرای خیلی جالب و گفتنی‌های زیادی برامون داشته باشه.👀
Profile Image for toointofiction.
176 reviews121 followers
September 13, 2021
This one is slightly better than the first one. Although, not that much better to be rated more than The Glittering Court. Therefore, the rating is the same, 3⭐. At least the title is an improvement??

I liked Mirabel a lot. Just like Adelaide, she's fierce and brave and everything she has done was to help her brother. She was not afraid of using her 'spy' skills and cunning, and put herself in near-constant danger to achieve her goals. Even if that meant marrying some old rich dude to do so. I also liked Grant, the love interest. He is strong, intelligent, kind and he matches Mira well. He had some trouble expressing his emotions for most of the book but no one's perfect right? Mir and his interactions are full of attraction, electricity, and sexual tension. I did not hate reading those parts 😉😉.

However, even though I found the plot more interesting than the first one, the results remain the same. It is not Richelle Mead's best work but it's not the worst book/series I've read. There are too many similarities between the two books. In the sense that the characters' traits (both between MCs and between love interests) are too similar. The series is basically telling the same story with only a few details changed. Fierce and strong-willed female protagonist uses social contrasts meant to oppress her to her own advantage, while gradually falling in love with a male character that, dispite the societal influences that are dripping in misogyny, they are different than other men. This is the base of the plot of all three books. It just so happens that the characters look different in appearance and so do their love interests. Oh...and the reasons they debase themselve in that dumb finishing school, that sells them as a graduation gift, vary between characters.

Like I said in The Glittering Court review the series is more of a guilty pleasure for me. It' not too bad a read. It's just a little too mediocre.
Profile Image for Ali Book World.
281 reviews155 followers
October 25, 2021
جواهر نیمه‌شب جلد دوم از مجموعه‌ی دربار درخشانه. هر چیزی که توی جلد اول خوندیم توی جلد دوم هم میخونیم اما از نگاه و دید یک شخصیت دیگه. توی این کتاب داستان میرا رو میخونیم، این که چجوری ماجراهاش شروع میشن و چه اتفاقاتی براش رخ میده که باعث میشه وارد دربار درخشان بشه و چه سرنوشتی رو پشت سر میذاره...!!!

اگر جلد اول رو خونده باشید که داستان در مورد زندگی ادلا��د بود، یک سری جاها شخصیت میرا عجیب و غریب رفتار میکرد و کلاً کارهایی میکرد که زیاد بهشون پرداخته نمیشد و یک جورایی گنگ بود، که همه اینها توی این جلد بهشون جواب داده میشه و دیگه کلا هیچ نقطه‌ی سوال برانگیزی از شخصیت میرا و کارهاش باقی نمیمونه.

جلد دوم نسبت به کتاب اول محبوبیت بیشتری داره و کلا امتیاز بالاتری هم کسب کرده که با توجه به شخصیت های متفاوتی که ادلاید و میرا نسبت به همدیگه دارند کاملا میشه فهمید که شخصیت پردازی میرا از دید خواننده‌ها خیلی خیلی جذاب تر بوده که واقعاً نمی شه انکارش کرد. میرا یک دختر سرکش، نترس و البته جنگجوئه که کاملا نقطه‌ی مقابل ادلاید محسوب میشه، هرچند ادلاید هم شجاعت خاصی خودش رو داشت ولی در برابر میرا حرفی برای گفتن نداره.

در کل من هم شخصیت پردازی میرا رو نسبت به ادلاید بیشتر دوست داشتم اما ماجراها و داستان‌های ادلاید رو توی جلد اول خیلی بیشتر پسندیدم و همین باعث شده نتونم بگم جلد اول رو بیشتر خوشم اومد یا جلد دوم... بر سر دوراهی گیر کردم..!!

دربار درخشان یک مجموعه‌ی سه جلدی�� که نیازی نیست حتما کلش رو کامل بخونید و هر جلد رو میشه به عنوان یک کتاب تک جلدی هم مطالعه کرد ولی اگر نظر من رو میخواهید میگم که مجموعه رو کامل و به ترتیب بخونید چون که به هر حال این سه جلد به طور موازی پیش میرن و داستان سه دوست رو روایت میکنند که هر جلد از دید هر کدوم از این هاست و در حقیقت مکمل همدیگه‌اند و نقاط سوال‌برانگیز هرجلد توی کتاب بعدیش پاسخ داده میشه!

خب دیگه، شخصیت میرا رو خیلی دوست داشتم و از گرَنت هم خوشم اومد ولی هرکاری کردم نتونستم برتر از سِدریک ببینیمش... سدریک توی جلد اول ترکوند..!!
همونطور که گفتم شخصیت اصلی جلد اول ادلاید بود، میرا شخصیت اصلس جلد دوم و تَمسین هم کاراکتر اصلی جلد سومه که باید ببینیم ماجراهای اون چی میشه که حس میکنم پر رمز و راز‌تر از بقیه‌شون باشه...

بابت ترجمه کتاب هم واقعا نمیشه چیزی گفت. فوق العاده بود و دیگه تقریبا هر کسی که کارهای خانم پورعسگر رو دنبال کرده باشه میدونه که ایشون توی ترجمه کتاب‌ها حرفی برای گفتن نمیذارن و من هم خیلی خوشحالم که صبر کردم تا این مجموعه رو با ترجمه ایشون بخونم.
Profile Image for Caroline.
Author 6 books55 followers
January 20, 2019
Full Review On The Blog
www.carolineandrus.com/blog

Be still my heart. I think I love Mira more than Adelaide.

Richelle Mead, you are my patronous; my spirit animal. When I grow up I want to BE you.

*swoon*

Go read this series. Action. Adventure. Pirates. Hate to Love romance.
Profile Image for Teodora.
434 reviews39 followers
October 15, 2017
Bulgarian review: https://bookishipster.wordpress.com/2...

I'm really happy i got to read this book and return to the world of the Glittering Court! I found Mira's story even more interesting, intense and rich than Adalaide's, with much more twists, turns and difficult situations. 'Midnight Jewel' was such a fast and fun read, Richelle Mead didn't dissapoint me once again.
Profile Image for Kaya Dimitrova.
327 reviews70 followers
December 27, 2017
"Среднощният диамант" ми хареса една идея повече от предшестващата го "Бляскавият двор" Мира бе далеч по-интересна героиня от Аделейд, а историята ми се стори по-приключенска, по-драматична и напрегната. Проблемите ми с взаимоотношенията, които Ришел Мийд създава в тази поредица обаче са си все същите - приятелството между трите главни героини според мен си остава един от основните недостатъци, а любовната история - колкото и да ми допадна, не мога да премълча за крайно предвидимите развития във връзката между Мира и Грант и клишираните им на моменти "любовно-омразни" взаимоотношения.
И все пак - светът, който беше изградила Ришел Мийд продължи да бъде интересен и "жив" в очите ми, героите ѝ в тази книга бяха смели, саркастични и с приключенски дух, а стилът на писане отново бе увличащ.
Profile Image for ❄️✨ Kat ✨❄️.
122 reviews27 followers
July 24, 2017
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I loved the pirates and her constant late night sneak-outs and the romance between . I loved how it connected so well with the first book, and the moments between the books that overlapped. I loved how Mira was such a determined female, and how she always fought for righteousness, no matter what. I can't wait to hear Tamsin's side of the story, and the buildup to the third book throughout this book is impressive and has me super excited for its release!
Profile Image for Alaina.
5,931 reviews216 followers
June 5, 2018
Midnight Jewel was an interesting book for The Glittering Court series. I was honestly really hesitant to jump into this one because I didn't really care for the first book, The Glittering Court. In the end, I liked it but it was also kind of boring. This could be due to the narrator or just things in the story kind of being underwhelming to listen to.

Midnight Jewel was about Mira, who started off kind of meh.. then became likable.. then became meh again. I liked how she was like the girl version of Robin Hood and how she wanted to go where her brother was. Even though the guy always seemed to be in some kind of trouble.. like jail. Mira was an interesting character.. but I just despised when the narrator would give her an accent. I totally get that she was undercover.. but I hated it. My ears wanted to bleed.

Then there was Grant. I loved Grant.. after I got past the "do I trust you?" stage. It took me a while to warm up to the guy.. but then when they started to sleep with each other - well, I got on board REAL quick. I loved them together. He made her more exciting in my eyes.

Of course we see the same characters from the first book, mostly because every book in this series is from a different set of eyes. Adelaide, Mira, and soon to be Tamsin. Mira's book was a heck of a lot more entertaining than Adelaide's... but it did have better twists and turns than the previous book. If I'm being completely honest, I am more excited to read everything from Tamsin's POV. Hopefully that book will be the best.

Overall, it was an okay audio book. I was so happy when Mira said she loved Grant.. and then I just waited and waited for him to say it back to her. THEY DESERVE EACH OTHER. I just want love.. and a really good third book. I have expectations set people!
181 reviews5 followers
June 6, 2018
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Let me start off by saying that I enjoyed this book way more than the first book. For one thing, I felt like the writing was completely different, even though I know it wasn't that different. I also felt that the beginning was a lot more captivating in this book and I was intrigued by the church scene.
Mira was a likable character and I could definitely see where she was coming from in most of her actions and comments. Still, I felt that she was a bit annoying at times, especially when it came to the romance in this book. That said, I freaking loved the romance!! It was... Well, it was firy in terms of the two character's tempers and the actual romance. I was shipping this couple the whole way through and am so glad they got together.
That said, I did find this book slowed way down at times and thought that some of the descriptions were unnecessary. Some of the fight scenes in this book were not described in enough detail, while there was plenty more description of other times, such as the ship journey.
Lastly, I am sad to say that I found the narrator of this audio extremely boring. I didn't like the accents she used for some of the characters, but most of all, she seemed very monotone.
Overall, Midnight Jewel was a really enjoyable read with a ship worthy romance, but I found that it was extremely slow at times.
Profile Image for ✨ A ✨ .
423 reviews1,594 followers
June 28, 2018
This was better than The Glittering Court. Having to reread their first year in training all over again was a bit annoying. It was like deja vu.

Immediately as the book started we find out that the whole reason that Mira joins the Glittering Court is to go to Adoria where her brother, Lonzo, is a runaway fugetive. She needs to find a rich husband to pay his servant bond.

Things start getting interesting when on the journey to Adoria she meets Grant Elliot who turns out to be a spy. Now of course we already know Grant from book 1 but what we didn't know is how well Mira and him know each other. Like I suspected that he was who Mira would fall for, but I didn't know they'd get involved so soon. So that mystery was answered.

Mira and Grant's romance was frustrating. It's clear how attracted they were to eachother. But they're both not used to attachments and feelings. Like just wanted to lock them up so they could find a way to be together. Every time they argued I wanted to scream at them.

Mira was really dauntless in this book. Working for spies and rolling with pirates. Like damn. She brave.

Grants 's inability to express his feelings and emotions was hilarious. He throws hints hoping Mira will figure out what he's saying/feeling like its an Easter egg hunt. Face palm. It's endearing.

Some problems I still have is the fact that the different countries and such are not explained properly. Like where is Lorandy? They keep referring to thins place and I don't even know if it's on the same continent. THIS SERIES NEEDS A MAP.

............................................................................................................................ POPSUGAR Reading Challenge 2018 prompt: A book involving a heist

Buddy reading with the awesome Violet

I'm so excited to find out more about Mira! And i hope we get some answers.
Profile Image for Joanna .
425 reviews84 followers
July 30, 2019
Update: July 30 2019

This is still the greatest book to date. This was an awesome re read and I still believe that if there could be a higher rating than 5 stars , I’d give it to this book. Slow 👏🏾

——————————————————————————-
If I could have given this more than 5 stars I would have. This was incredible. RTC
Profile Image for Kezzy Sparks.
Author 1 book36 followers
March 26, 2020
I loved this second installment in The Glittering Court series, although I have to confess that what drew me in at first was the gorgeous model on the cover, one of the best I've seen in years. This particular novel concerns the story of Mirabelle, a downtrodden Sirminican girl who, like Adelaide in the first book, is being carted off to a distant colony to be given up in marriage to an eligible suitor who will then pay a hefty sum for the privilege.
Mirabelle has her own ideas however, and even though she plays along with the grand scheme in the first place, it doesn't take long before she's having some secret but deadly adventures of her own. A sweet romance also brews, further giving Mira a true identity of her own.
A very good follow on to the first book, and I might get to check out the third.
Profile Image for Annie .
2,426 reviews804 followers
August 1, 2017
Richelle Mead returns to the world of the Glittering Court with MIDNIGHT JEWEL. This time, readers are introduced to Mira. She is different from the heroine in the first book because she is a refugee of war and now that she has been cast out of her home country, she faces obstacles that many others take advantage of.

I’ve been a fan of Richelle Mead for years but this series is something entirely different for her. Although her writing is still exceptional, the world and the way this series is written is really something different for this genre. I’ve always thought that Mead had a very strong voice for Young Adult, and in this book, she once again proves why. I love the fact that she doesn’t simplify her vocabulary and worldbuilding so that her younger readers can understand it. She writes clearly and concisely while still giving enough details of the characters and the world. It’s these books like these that I think make younger readers want to read.

In addition, I think readers can learn a lot from Mead’s books. The lessons learned can be applied to real life. The struggles that Mira faces can be seen in the refugees of our world. I also love that we have a woman of color as the main character. For me, these are all characteristics of a timeless book.

Richelle Mead has really hit her stride with MIDNIGHT JEWEL. Although you can read this book as a standalone, I highly recommend reading the first book, THE GLITTERING COURT as well. I’m already anticipating what Mead has in store for the next heroine, Tamsin.
Profile Image for Anne.
301 reviews41 followers
Shelved as 'decided-not-to-read'
August 26, 2017
Waaaaayyyyyy too much of the first book at the beginning of this story.

At the end of The Glittering Court, they have all been in the new world for a while.
I had expected this story to pick up at the end of -- or at least close to the end of -- the Glittering Court.

But by chapter 3 of this story, they were nowhere near the new world.
I didn't want to read the first story all over again, even if it was from Mira's point of view.
So this is a DNF for me.

Profile Image for Bianca Damaso.
185 reviews6 followers
July 26, 2017
[MINOR SPOILERS FOR THE GLITTERING COURT AHEAD; read at your own discretion]:

Midnight Jewel is the second book in The Glittering Court series although it reads more like a companion. It follows the same time line as the first book just focusing on a different character. I was excited to dive into this one because it revolves around my favourite character from the first book. Mirabel Viana was always so mysterious and even reading about her through Adelaide's eyes, I knew that she was spying and sneaking around at night. So, when this came out I was like, "FINALLY I get to find out her story."

Richelle Mead's writing is (as usual) great and her characters are diverse and raw. She has a way of interweaving characters that are so different from each other seamlessly. Mira spends a lot of time on her own compared to Adelaide who was almost always surrounded by her friends and Cedric. This gives the readers a closeness and fondness of her strength and determination. I would love if Mead gave us a short story bind up of each of the girl's history. Mira's especially is so interesting but it is never fully developed because of the craziness going on in the present story.

Grant and Mira play off each other very well and it is so much fun to read because they are so stubborn and hard-headed that they drive each other insane, which in turn, makes me crazy as well.

I also appreciate that we get a little more clarity as to what Governor Doyle is up to and the entire conspiracy behind the pirates and gold. It is explained a lot better through Mira because she is in the heart of the investigation whereas Adelaide was thrust into it at the end due to Cedric's religious beliefs and their scandalous marriage.

All in all I really enjoyed this book, even more than the first one and I cant wait to read all about Tamsin and her adventures with the Icori, Gideon Prescott (who I'm pretty sure is her love interest) and the other Heirs of Uros.

4.5/5 stars
Profile Image for Crystal.
481 reviews30 followers
July 13, 2017
Okay its time i sit down and type this review lol. Im definitely having a book hangover which really sucks. I find myself not knowing what to read next le sigh. Anyway this book was so much better than Glittering Court and i think its mostly because Mira is so cool! And shes like dont mess with me attitude which i love. I loved the spying and secret messages too! And all the people who were in involved with the heretic hunting was so cool to find out who was who and i find myself forgetting about Adelaide lol im like whats she doing again? The chapters though were still long for me towards to middle i had to stop reading for the day cause i felt like i read so much. I really liked that we got to see Aiana more because in the first book she was just a beautiful mysterious woman but i liked seeing her more :). Also Grant *heart eyes* he was like what is this...is this feelings?..i dont like it! Lol it was kinda frustrating like i wanted to shake them both cause they were so alike . But my favorite moments! Were when Mira was trying her flirting skills on him and he got all flustered lol *squeal* towards the end were my favorite parts like how he paid to have her brother brought to town out of labor im like omg that's so sweet! Even though he was risking himself! Also when he suggested to her to become Mrs elliot i was like *squeal!!!* stahp! And how Mira told Silas and Aiana apparently he tried to propose before but i didnt really notice lol but he killed me!!! When he just made up the proposal right there!! I was ugly sobbing so much i cant they are so perfect together!! I really loved how Mira didnt only care about her love interest but about the people who lived in Adoria :). I was shocked when i found out who the main person of all the trouble was im like i had a feeling but was like nahhh and then yeah not gnna spoil it lol. The last page when Mira found out what Grant said in the other language i was like ahhhh!!*tears* this was a really good book and i love all of the characters!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Dirty Dayna.
1,613 reviews95 followers
August 20, 2017
5 My Saasa Stars

Going into this book I heard rumor it was the same story told by another of the Glittering Court girls and that scenes would overlap. I was terrified it would be the same story vomited back up. BUT IT WASN’T!!!! the scenes that do link up you see another side of a story you thought you already understood but in actuality you only saw a glimpse. The scenes that overlap still have scenes where you need the final puzzle piece to have it completely make sense.
This story is about Mirabel the refugee from Sirminica which is a war torn country and most people turn their head in disgust at members born there. Mirabel tries to stay true to her Sirminica roots but notices the rich suitors also turn their head in disgust and it appears there is only one suitor interested in her and he is a senior citizen and cannot give children.
However Mira was always the girl who was a bit sneaky and was often missing in book 1. In book 2 you find out how perceptive Mira was the entire time and she becomes that strong badass heroine you wanted Adelaide to be in book 1. But now you see.. the jewels hid more than poor girls .. the jewels hid secrets.
No one is who you think they are in book 2. There is love, treason, deceit and broken hearts spread amongst the pages of this book. I thought it was lovely and wonder what book 3 holds I hear it was a trilogy but there are 2 girls stories I would still like : Clara because I hate her and Tamsin because she has always been a mystery.

Saasa means the star that guides you home

Profile Image for Selly - Leggere Romanticamente.
1,125 reviews246 followers
November 8, 2017
La mia recensione sul blog http://www.leggereromanticamente.com/...

Midnight Jewel è il secondo romanzo della serie The Glittering Court, ma più che un seguito lo possiamo considerare un romanzo complementare.
Ambientato esattamente nello stesso mondo coloniale inventato dall'autrice in The Glittering Court, questo secondo libro è narrato in prima persona dal punto di vista di Mirabel Viana, compagna di stanza e amica di Adelaide e Tamsin.
Come ben ricorderete, Mira è una bellissima ragazza sirminicana, la sua è una etnia non esattamente ben vista dagli osfridiani, anche se ad Adoria le cose vanno un pochino meglio.
Cronologicamente, la storia avviene in contemporanea a quella di Adelaide, alcune scene presenti nel romanzo si osservano da un punto di vista diverso, ma non considerate la cosa come una ripetizione, tutto ciò che riguarda Mira, i suoi segreti e obiettivi, vengono esposti per la prima volta in questo volume.
Pensate a questo libro come a tutto quello che avreste voluto capire e sapere su Mira: come è arrivata nella Corte Scintillante, cosa faceva prima, chi erano suo padre e suo fratello, e soprattutto perché una ragazza dalla natura selvaggia come la sua ha accettato di entrare alla Corte Scintillante.

Cosa volevo? Adoria. Trovare Lonzo. Una vita lontano dalla guerra e dalla corruzione che avevano travolto il mio paese natale. Un marito ricco e una nuova terra avrebbero potuto garantirmi tutte quelle cose? No, ma avrei avuto più possibilità, mentre là non ero altro che l’ennesima profuga affamata ad affollare una città che la odiava.

Mira è un personaggio che mi è piaciuto moltissimo, è un'eroina forte, determinata e coraggiosa. È dotata di spirito di sacrificio e sa come manipolare le persone a suo favore. È disposta a tutto, anche a correre grossi rischi, per raggiungere gli scopi prefissati e, anche se è una persona leale e una buona amica, ciò non significa che non commetterà anche degli errori.
Altro personaggio degno di nota e ammirazione di questo libro è Grant Elliott.
Il destino ha incrociato la strada del misterioso Grant e di Mira sulla nave diretta ad Adoria, ed è proprio grazie a lui che la vita di Mira prenderà una certa direzione.
Dove spariva sempre Mira? Quali segreti nascondeva ad Adelaide e Tamsin? Avrete la risposta a queste domande.
Grant è una spia in incognito, un personaggio con diverse facce e determinato a mantenere un certo distaccato dalle persone. I vari aspetti della sua personalità e della sua storia si scoprono pian piano durante la lettura.

“Nella vita devo mentire per portare a termine i miei incarichi e restare vivo, ma se lavoriamo assieme e state vicino a me, il vero me, vi dirò sempre la verità. Non amo sprecare parole. Se non c’è niente da dire di norma non lo dirò, ma se c’è qualcosa da dire vi dirò ciò che penso, spesso senza filtri, e sarà la verità”.

Tra Grant e Mira ci sarà un certo avvicinamento anche fisico e sentimentale, Mira si dimostrerà una ragazza più passionale di ciò che pensava, ma non aspettatevi scene hot, la Mead ci fa capire chiaramente cosa succede tra i due senza entrare nei dettagli specifici. Ciò non toglie che tra i due si avverta sempre quella certa tensione sessuale mista a scaramucce e dialoghi pungenti che rendono la lettura ancora più accattivante.
Anche questo secondo libro è avventuroso e intrigante come il precedente, l'autrice ha saputo sviluppare e intrecciare alla perfezione questi due romanzi autoconclusivi rendendoli nel complesso un tutt'uno.
A questo punto manca solo l'ultimo tassello della storia per chiudere il cerchio, quello riguardante la rossa e testarda Tamsin. Adelaide ha trovato Cedric, Mira ha trovato Grant, chi troverà Tamsin? Non vedo l'ora di leggere il terzo romanzo con lei protagonista per scoprirlo!
Richelle Mead non mi ha deluso nemmeno stavolta, è riuscita a non risultare per nulla ripetitiva, aggiungendo un pizzico di spionaggio e avventure piratesche al mondo della Glittering Court! Lettura consigliata!

Punto di vista: prima persona di Mira
Sensualità: appena accennata
Caratteristiche: avventuroso, intrigante, complementare
Stile narrativo: scorrevole
Tipo di finale: autoconclusivo
Displaying 1 - 30 of 774 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.