Start by marking “Primal Heat (Primes, #5)” as Want to Read:
Primal Heat (Primes, #5)

Primal Heat (Primes #5)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  2,030 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Can a heroic vampire protect his clan from danger -- and save himself from burning desire?

As Prime of his vampire Family, Mathias Bridger is sworn to protect his own kind at any cost -- but years of acting as a fierce guardian of his people have left him yearning for more out of life. His chance comes in the form of Phillipa Elliot, the beautiful police officer whose all

Published July 25th 2006 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Primal Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primal Heat

Amber Rose
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves firey passion and english accents
Recommended to Amber by: My mother...
Susan did it again! Another of her entrancing stories with beautiful charactors, a twisting plot and chemistry that set the sheets on fire. Phillipa is a strong woman, but like all strong women, she has a weakness. Matt Bridger, the mysterious best man with an accent that makes my skin chill. He has a sweet tooth for Phillipa and he wants to satisfy it.

Drawn togehter for one night of firey passion, Matt leave Phillipa in her bed without a backward glance. Years later, they come together again as
Laura the Highland Hussy
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
the only thing that kept this from being a 5 is that the hero and heroine went from lust to love without seeing each other for 3 years. It wasn't believable enough for me. The rest of the storyline, the side characters, everything else was fabulous. The lust was great, but it wasn't quite a 5.
Philippa had a one night stand with Matthias at her sister's wedding and 3 years later for the baby's blessing/baptism, they meet again. But Philippa's supposedly going through a ton of stuff...but we don'
Danielle
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: susan-sizemore

A great series if you like the sexual strong male characters and their equally strong minded mates. For those who like vampires and romance will not want to put the book down. At the wedding of Phillipa Elliot's sister Josephine to Marcus Cage, she meets Prime vampire Matt Bridger and the pair come together for a night of great sex. Three years later they are brought together to be godparents of her newly born nephew Brandon. When the family comes under attack from Purists with an agenda of thei
Maura
عمران
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweet
Susan Sizemore does it again. She creates colorful characters that stand out on their own, and this time you didn't know who the 'evil' one was until near the end. I was surprised how Phillipa went with the flow instead of demanding more. She seemed stronger a character than that at the beginning, even with everything going on in her life. Still, I was happy to see her and Matt together. There was just the right amount of action, even though I would have liked to see a battle between Phillipa an ...more
Trina
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great story. Mathias Bridger is the Prime of his vampire family and had one hot night with Phillipa Elliot. Two years later they see each other and no matter how hard they both try to stay away from each other they can't keep their hands off each other. They are drawn together in fiery passion and need. Despite this they both intend to walk away from each other again until Mathias' family comes under attack, which means Phillipa's sister, new brother-in-law and their infant are all in ...more
Wendy Mills
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading it. Filled with lots of action, excitement, sizzling romantic scenes between Mattias and Phillipa. I really connected with the characters and liked learning about the different ranks of the 'Families', "Clans" etc.
Shannon Hicks
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series very good !
Kristen
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Katie
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was actually a very interesting novel for me to read. It's not every day that you read a novel based on a character's sister, and have it go so well. What made it even more interesting to me was when I found out about her disease. It can be hard to corporate something like that into a novel successfully. The fact that this novel did just that was the icing on top of the cake. It was dangerous and sexy at the same time, which made it easier to read. The characters were very dramatic in their ...more
ceecee
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
When I began this book I didn't realize it was a series, so when I began the book I was a little lost on the beginning. After I read through a few chapters I didn't feel like I missed much. I guess each book is a stand-alone, with a few references to characters in previous and future books.

After just the first chapter this book reminded me of the books written by Lynsay Sands, the "Argeneau" series. Both books are about Vampires who are not evil, but who have occasional rogues that murder huma
Marie
Jan 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-bingo, romance
Well, I picked this up in a clearance bin and didn't realize it was the fifth one in a series -- but to be honest, it didn't much matter. The world was easy enough to figure out, but I'm sure whatever questions I did have could have been answered in the first book.

Still, I'm not a big fan of this book because while it was a quick read and served it's purpose well-- a divider between two different fantasy series I wanted to read, I don't think I'll be picking up anything by this author again.

The
mlady_rebecca
Edit 12/10/2010:

Oops! Re-read this one and didn't realize it was a re-read. Talk about forgettable. Did like the scene with werewolf in the lion cage. That felt vaguely familiar, but I was attributing that to a similar story from another author. Previous review stands. Fast, decent read, but forgettable.

*****

Review from August 31, 2008.

I read this really fast, and I was enjoying it while I was in the middle of the story, but I think it's ultimately one of those forgettable books.

With the best s
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Phillipa is at her sisters vamp wedding & meets Matthias. They have a fling. Oops... they are bonded. 3 years later they are together again & are solving a mystery. Robberies, murders & purists after Phillipa, her sister & new nephew.

In between the wedding & baptism Phillipa was shot. What that has to do with anything was beyond me. The how or why never came up, so maybe it's in another book? But after reading several of these stories, they're all this way. Tidbits thrown in
Nicki Markus
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-paranormal
This is standard fare for a PNR series: vampire and mortal love, werewolves and action. What I did like about this series was that, while this was the fifth book in a series, you could read it as a standalone piece. Perhaps there would have been more information on some of the vampire hierarchy in the earlier books, but previous events were never referred to, so you didn't feel like you were stepping into a story part way through.

I did think the lead characters' romance was a bit fast and unbeli
Gina
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jenny Q
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this! Yes, it's another vampire series, but it's different enough to stand out. And it has werewolves, too, and ya'll know I like a good werewolf! Sizemore has a very easy, natural writing style with a touch of humor and a lot of heat! (But it's fairly clean, and no cussing, either.) It's got a good plot that kept me guessing. (Though I could've done with a few less POV shifts.) This is fifth in a series and all of the main characters are in various types of law enforcement, which ...more
Andreasoldier
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, vampires
I read one book in this series and thank goodness. Clan, Tribe, Family, Purists, Prime? Sooner or later, mostly later most becomes clear, but there is a lot unanswered.
Basically the two leads, one a vampire, have a one-night stand at a wedding and can't forget each other. They meet again at a family chrtistening and wham-bam thank you ma'am they're back in bed.
True love through sex. Not much substance in the relationship, but a little more in the story. The Purists want to kill all vampires, th
Beth
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I didn't realize that I was reading the fifth book of this series. I'd like to go back and read at least the first in the series to see if it helps make sense of some of this book. I liked the characters Matt (Mathias - what an awesome name) and Phillipa, but I would've liked to have seen more memorable steamy scenes. It seems like they were just falling all over each other for no reason; I'd like to see if the previous books explain the bonding a little better. It's not one of my favorite books ...more
nicole
Michelle
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire-romance
Matthias Bridger is the enforcer for the Families--the vampire charged with keeping order within the race so that the uneasy peace with the human race can continue. He knows first hand what the loss of a bondmate can mean to a Prime male and he's never been willing to put himself in that position. His cousin Marcus has other plans, however, and conspires to throw Matt and his sister-in-law Phillippa together at every opportunity.
Lyn
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Definately a great read. I enjoyed the different concept of Sizmore's vampire world. I was drawn in by the main character's Mathias Bridger's masculine prowess and lusty passion for his intended Phillipa Elliot who happenes to be a beautiful fiesty cop. Great plot and great ending. One of my favs for PNR!
Lacy
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lacy by: lacyndah@yahoo.com
Working on my review. But one thing I learned is that it is tough picking up a part of a series that is as closely connected as the Primes when it's been years since you read the earlier books and you haven't read the previous book. Definitely read these books in order and as close together as you can.
Kristin
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There's a reason I love Susan Sizemore! Her books are rather addicting. Book 5 and I'm not bored. I love that werewolves are really coming into play and that in Primal Heat you really get the feel for the whole vampire society - complete w/ their own cop!
Rachel
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This story is probably very good. I like the book even though for some reason I couldn't get it. That was because is a sequel to 4 other previous books plus this story can not stand alone, you must have read the previous books in order to understand the story. It was a good read over all.
Omly
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it
These books are addictive, but romantic vampire fluff at best. I like the way she has decided to play out both vampire and werewolf culture and limitations in many respects, but for some reason I just can't get behind the bond-mates.
Jan
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance - Vampire Lovers
The 5th book in the Vampire “PRIMES” series

Another delicious and lustful 8 hour marathon read. I’ve always had a weakness for british male accents and a good looking guy with smile dimples always makes my insides turn to goo. Matt Bridger Muurroowwwww!!!!
Penny
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I kept stalling in begining to read this book ,but as soon as i picked up i couldn't put it down. Love the romance, mystery, paranomal and humor. The characters were very intresting and brought the whole story together.
Chu
pretty good
Greeneyes Belle28
excellent
  • The Shadows of Christmas Past (Christmas Series, #3; Primes, #2.5)
  • Eternal Craving (Gods of the Night #2)
  • Desire After Dark (Vampire Trilogy, #3)
  • A Taste of Crimson (Crimson City, #2)
  • The Cursed One (Wild Wulfs of London, #3)
  • Out of the Night (Night Slayer, #1)
  • Master of Wolves (Mageverse, #3)
  • Night Lost (Darkyn #4)
  • Night of the Huntress (Brotherhood of Blood, #2)
  • Courting Midnight (Midnight, #3)
  • Hunter's Moon (Nightcreature, #2)
  • Through a Crimson Veil (Crimson City, #3)
  • Seduced by Crimson (Crimson City, #5)
  • Two By Twilight (Wings in the Night Series #6 & #9)
  • Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6)
Susan Sizemore's life and interests include such varied activities as medieval costuming and embroidery, being a chef, and working in the defense industry.She is owned by her spoiled rotten, beloved mutt dog, rather than the other way around, and this is just fine with her.Current hobbies include hiking and studying t'ai chi. She travels whenever she can, loves history, loud music, movies, good co ...more
More about Susan Sizemore

Primes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • I Burn for You (Primes, #1)
  • I Thirst for You (Primes, #2)
  • I Hunger for You (Primes, #3)
  • Master of Darkness (Primes, #4)
  • Primal Desires (Primes, #6)
  • Primal Needs (Primes, #7)
  • Dark Stranger (Primes, #8)
  • Primal Instincts (Primes, #9)
  • Primal Call (Primes, #10)
  • Primal Cravings (Primes, #11)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49