Start by marking “Then She Was Gone (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #4)” as Want to Read:
Then She Was Gone (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #4)

Then She Was Gone (DI Murphy and DS Rossi #4)

‘A page-turner’ – Sunday Times Crime Club

Tim Johnson took his baby daughter out for a walk and she never made it home. Johnson claims he was assaulted and the girl was snatched. The police see a different crime, with Johnson their only suspect.

Published December 1st 2016 by Simon & Schuster Ltd

Liz Barnsley
Yes yes and lots more yes. Review to follow. But just one more yes for good measure. ***excellent crime novel alert** Started didn't stop. Then had to. Because I finished it :)
Paul
Jul 10, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Then She Was Gone – Another Scouse Noir Masterpiece

Luca Veste’s has written his fourth in the Murphy – Rossi series, Then She Was Gone, which is more evidence of why he is one the crime writers of the moment. Veste uses all his knowledge of Liverpool, Wirral and the rest of Merseyside alongside his academic insight on criminology and psychology.

What he delivers is a twisted, psychological thriller, with gritty reality, a touch of scouse humour, which makes this a truly disturbing and intelligent
Lee
Aug 04, 2016 Lee rated it really liked it
This is another great book from Luca Veste, an excellent crime novel. This story has it all revenge, deceit, many twists and turns and so much more. Sam Bryne is about to be elected as a Tory MP but then suddenly disappears. Detectives Murphy and Rossi are given the case to investigate but is Sam Byrne really who they think he is and what has he been hiding? Bodies are now piling up and the detective's are pushed to the limit to solve this case. I thought the relationship between Murphy and Ross ...more
Christine
Jul 25, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing
Truly truly excellent. Luca Veste takes it all to a whole new level in ‘Then She Was Gone’.

The latest case for Murphy and Rossi involves a missing politician, a stolen child, a whole heap of serious bloody revenge and a plot that just blew me away. Local wannabe Tory MP Sam Bryne should be campaigning. One day he vanishes. Where is he? What secrets did Sam hide? Tim is protecting his baby, from his ex partner. He is attacked and his infant is stolen. However the police are not convinced that the
Dave
Dec 19, 2016 Dave rated it it was amazing

A year later, Sam Bryne is on course to be elected as one of the youngest MPs in Westminster. He's tipped for the very top ... until he vanishes.
Detectives Murphy and Rossi are tasked with discovering what has happened to the popular politician - and in doing so, they unearth a trail that stretc
Shaun
Jun 18, 2016 Shaun rated it it was amazing
Yet another of my favourite crime authors (you can never have too many!) and I have to say this is one of my favourite crime novels of the year so far. Luca Veste just goes from strength to strength and if you are yet to read his books yet then I very highly recommend them.
Kate
Jul 28, 2016 Kate rated it it was amazing
Then She Was Gone is the fourth instalment in the Murphy and Rossi series, a series I might add that is definitely worth following. If you've not read any of the previous books, go seek them out! This latest book is definitely my favourite of the set so far, and I would admit that you can read it without having read the others but why would you want to restrain yourself?!

The return of Murphy and Rossi sees them investigating the case of the disappearance of popular politician Sam Bryne. Their st
Kate
Another excellent crime novel from Luca , my favourite so far. Very clever.

A review: https://forwinternights.wordpress.com...
ireadnovels.wordpress.com
Disappointed that this is another author who has mentioned the same reviewers have are always mentioned once again. Disappointed that my hardback book arrived with a ripped cover. I didn't find this story a page turner that's why I only gave it three stars. The story is quite different I give the author the due there. Then She Was Gone is about Tim who received a dull thud at the back of his head. Tim see an image of his daughter. The pushchair facing the other way, all could see was a wheel. Sp ...more
Claire Reeder
May 01, 2016 Claire Reeder rated it it was amazing
Luca Veste has done it again. Another fantastic instalment from this brilliant crime writer follows our two favourite detectives Murphy and Rossi as they embark on finding a serial killer.

This book had me hooked from page one. Crime is one of my favourite genres and I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with this.

This book is fast paced and has many twists and turns before culminating in an fantastic finish. I loved every minute of this book and can highly recommend it to everyone. A definite 5 star
Theresa (TBC)
May 12, 2016 Theresa (TBC) rated it really liked it

Tim Johnson took his baby daughter out for a walk and the baby was snatched, he was assaulted The police think he did something & don't suspect anyone else.
Sam Bryne vanishes a year after, a promising young MP.
Detectives Murphy and Rossi are on the case of missing Sam and as they dig deeper things begin to cross & they are led deeper. I found this a heavy read, took a few days to get through but was worth it.
Sarah Kenny
May 17, 2016 Sarah Kenny rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book by Luca Vested. Another wonderful crime novel with lots of twists and turns, with a dark edge, just how I like it! It wasn't immediately obvious where the story was heading and I was a bit confused as to how it would all fit and come together. But it does......and just Wow! loved it.
Jackie Law
Dec 01, 2016 Jackie Law rated it really liked it
Then She Was Gone, by Luca Veste, is a crime thriller set in Liverpool, England. It starts with a father walking his baby daughter through a park where he is attacked and the child taken. At first the police are sympathetic, as you would expect under the circumstances, but when their investigations uncover apparent inconsistencies in the man’s story suspicions turn towards him.

A year later and two detectives from the Major Crimes Unit, Murphy and Rossi, are asked to look into the disappearance o
Richard Murphy
Jan 14, 2017 Richard Murphy rated it really liked it
I seriously think there is more chance of a tory MP in Liverpool than Luca Veste writing a book that does not grab me!

This is the 4th edition in the Murphy and Rossi series (make sure you have read the others before reading this) and like the other 3 so far it is brilliant.

What I like about Veste is how he details the little things so well. The little in jokes for those who live in and around Liverpool. His finger on the pulse in terms of current affairs and what is going on in the world. The re
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Set in the northern English city of Liverpool, the story begins with a young father pushing his infant daughter through a park in her pram. He is attacked and the baby is gone. Despite his claims, the police say they have investigated and there never was a baby… They say he invented a story about a woman named Lauren and a daughter named Molly…
Detectives Murphy and Rossi are tasked
Dawn Connor
Jan 15, 2017 Dawn Connor rated it it was amazing
I discovered Luca's books about 3 years ago through another
of my favourite crime authors Paul Finch. This is Luca's 4th
book that features Detectives Murphy and Rossi. The books
are set in Liverpool so have a lot of quick witted humour running
through them. Murphy and Rossi are a fantastic team, and they
have to deal with a lot of gruesome cases. They have a great
bond and some of the scenes between them are brilliant!
In this book, they are on the hunt for a missing up-and-coming
MP. As they look
Sara Eames
Jan 13, 2017 Sara Eames rated it really liked it
An excellent thriller which kept me glued to the pages. It was not the story I was expecting it to be - it began with a missing child and ended with a serial killer. This is the first book I have read by Luca Veste - but I doubt it will be the last. The characters were well-written and the plot moved at a face pace. I was hooked almost from page one and was keen to know what had happened. There is a level of violence within the story - but all of it relevant and none of it gratuitous (the descri ...more
Denise Smith
Nov 19, 2016 Denise Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this in a giveaway and am very glad I did. I hadn't had the pleasure of reading a Murphy and Rossi book before but this one had me really gripped. The biggest compliment I can pay the author is that I have now ordered the back log of this series from work (library). Very well written and researched and not samey like a lot of crime books currently on the market.
Shannon
Jan 13, 2017 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Luca Veste has created some characters that I really like. This book was gripping from the start and didn't disappoint at the end. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend for a winter's day with hot chocolate and curl up on the sofa!!
Fictionophile
Yes, I know… I’ve arrived late to the party. I’ve been hearing good reviews about Luca Veste‘s novels for some time on Goodreads and I’m only now reading one of them.

It was worth the wait!

Although “Then she was gone” is the 4th novel in the DI David Murphy and DS Laura Rossi series, I had no trouble reading it having missed out on the first three. The author alluded to events in previous novels which kept me abreast of the status quo as to the personal lives of the protagonists. One traumatic ev
Jane
Nov 28, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it
I received this as a giveaway. Wow! What a good read from start to finish. I haven't read this author before but I'm sure going to read more of his work. Thank you.
Brenda
Nov 23, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing
a very good read with a twist in the tail, will read more of this author, couldn't put the book down
Amanda
Jul 29, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth story in the popular series featuring Murphy & Rossi but it is the fourth full length novel.

I have been a fan of Luca's writing for quite a while now and avidly read each new book in the series, as it comes out. In my opinion this is the best book of the series so far. The plot is certainly very intriguing. The book starts with the alleged kidnapping of a child, a crime so shocking that you can't help but be immediately drawn in to the story. As the story develops, it becom
Mary Picken
Oct 30, 2016 Mary Picken rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I’d not read any of Luca’s books, so I didn’t really have any preconceptions. It didn’t take long though for me to form some thoughts about the author. He comes across as a really good guy (well, he’s from Liverpool, so what did I expect?). He clearly cares a great deal about his subject and his characters; so his relationships, especially that between DI Murphy and DS Rossi, feel authentic. (As an aside, I’d also mention that his acknowledgements are heroic).

So, to the book itself. Liverpool an
Ruth
Sep 09, 2016 Ruth rated it really liked it
A year later, Sam Byrne is on course to be elected as one of the youngest MPs in Westminster. He's tipped for the very top ... until he vanishes.
Karen
May 16, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Until he disappears, Sam Byrne is heading towards being one of the youngest MPs in Britain. With no real clues and a wall of silence, Detectives Murphy and Rossi face an uphill battle to discover his whereabouts whilst trying to keep any conjecture out of the press. At the same time, languishing in prison is Tim Johnson - accused of a murder he says he did not commit. What has occurred in the past that connects these two men and will the Liverpool detectives be able to close the case before more ...more
Jun 17, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I started this a while ago and for the life of me I can't remember why I put it down, picked it up again today (obviously) and couldn't put it down! It grabbed me and refused to let go.

We follow DI Murphy and DS Rossi as they try to piece together the disappearance of soon to be MP Sam Bryne, as they start the investigation things take a dark, violent and murderous turn and they, along with their team, struggle to figure out exactly what's going on as horrific secrets begin to be uncovered.

The c
Theweakestlynn
Aug 01, 2016 Theweakestlynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series gets better and better

I've heard that following a series of crime books which feature the same detectives is like visiting friends each time you pick up the latest book, and this series does not disappoint. I'm loving getting to know Murphy and Rossi better and am already looking forward to seeing them again.
I enjoyed the plot, not the usual run of the mill whodunit and with lots of twists and turns along the way it made for a very enjoyable read which kept me gripped till the end.
Michelle  Driscoll
May 29, 2016 Michelle Driscoll rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Luca Veste, which had me hooked from the start.

It starts with an attack on a man, where his baby daughter is taken. It then moves forward to a young Tory candidate going missing. I couldn't work out how they were linked but as the story progresses it starts to make sense.

The twists and turns throughout the whole book kept me captivated all the way through.

Highly recommended and 4.5 stars from me rounded up to 5.

I received a copy of this book via Netgalley and the publis
Chris Nolan
May 11, 2016 Chris Nolan rated it it was amazing
This is a cracking read from the excellent Luca Veste, an enticing blend of Scouse humour and Italian spice. Murphy and Rossi are now a well-established pair of Liverpool detectives, and both are interesting in terms of character and back story; elements of their family life. I have read all the previous novels in the series and was really looking forward to this--I was not disappointed. This is a superb story of hedonism, revenge and atonement, well-plotted and exciting from start to finish.
« previous 1 3 next »
Luca Veste is a writer of Italian and Liverpudlian heritage, married with two young daughters, and one of nine children. He studied psychology and criminology at university in Liverpool. He is the author of the Murphy and Rossi series, which includes DEAD GONE, THE DYING PLACE, BLOODSTREAM, and THEN SHE WAS GONE.

Part psychological thriller, part police procedural, his books follow the detective p
More about Luca Veste...

DI Murphy and DS Rossi (4 books)
  • Dead Gone (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #1)
  • The Dying Place (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #2)
  • Bloodstream (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #3)