Start by marking “The Gentlemen's Club” as Want to Read:
The Gentlemen's Club

The Gentlemen's Club

(Noire #1)

The lure of danger is the greatest temptation

A woman who refuses to follow the rules....
In a world that belongs to men, Lady Maud Finchingfield is a bluestocking seeking a level of forbidden independence. Within the secret chambers of London’s most decadent club, where the ruling elite indulge every vice, can Maud discover freedom and pleasure by bringing those who wou
Paperback, Victorian Decoupage Cover, 128 pages
Published April 10th 2016 (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Gentlemen's Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gentlemen's Club

Start your review of The Gentlemen's Club
CC
4.5 stars. Through much of this story, the reader feels like they are participating or viewing each tableaux as a member of the club. Each tableaux is erotic, sensual and beautifully written. The Victorian setting adds to the taboo element of each performance, but it also defines and underscores the societal limitations imposed upon women in that era. As Lord MacCauley and Mademoiselle Noire begin their relationship, it is he who seems obsessed with her. However, I am not convinced of her feelin ...more
Rodin
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
Lord Macaulay and Mademoiselle Noire are the perfect couple
Book one is such a tasty beginning
Can't wait for the follow up
Inspired writing
Emmanuelle makes you feel she is one of the characters living in these pages
Red hot
Dee
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dee by: Emmanuelle de Maupassant
Jan 16th
After my non review back in Oct 2014, and the author encouraging me read the revised edition, I took another chance on this story.

While the part I initially had an issue with read much better, and didn't push my buttons like the first time, I still can't say this story was a winner for me.

Yes it was chocka block full of all kinds of sexual scenarios, which was basically the guts of the story. I had no issue with that, some of the scenes could have been extremely hot, if not for the wordi
Emily
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, historical
Eloquently written erotic escapism, guaranteed to liven up a dull evening.

Adored the feisty heroine, Mademoiselle Noire, who chooses an unconventional life of adventure and experimentation, expressing her sexuality to the full. She is a rare delicacy of empowerment and sensuality.

Meanwhile, the author's convincing portrait of Victorian London is penned with elegance, giving an interesting context from which to explore the double standards faced by women in a man's world.

Extremely raunchy, but ne
Rodin
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gentleman's Club is an exquisite exploration of Victorian times and life.
Emmanuelle has surpassed expectations with beautiful descriptive prose that catches every delicious erotic episode.
Quite a long novella and needing to be so.
The first course is simply superb.
Mademoiselle Noire, Lord MacCaulay and Cecile each play delicious parts.
Although their are many other minor characters at the club who provide delightful passages of MM, FF, MMF, FFM the combinations go on and on.
Five beautiful star
Connie
This book is strictly about sex. It's all about finding sexual gratification and pleasure by means other than what society finds conventional. The story is centered on Lord MacCauley and Mademoiselle Noire. Lord MacCauley went to an exclusive gentlemen's club in London to seek entertainment. There was new entertainment to be found in Mademoiselle Noire who was a Domme. She titillated the gentlemen with her command and charm. For her presentation, she needed a volunteer and so comes her first con ...more
EroticaAfterDark (Lilith)
dom/sub

I am being honest about this book actually being a 3 star for me, the only reason why I feel obliged to round it up to 4 stars is the unique, wonderful and eloquent narrative of the author. I can't help but bow my head to that.
But it's maybe exactly this out-of-the-world style that made it hard for me to connect to the characters, to feel for and with them. Emmanuelle de Maupassant skillfully puts the reader into the role of a voyeur, not being part of the story at all, but still bound to watch
John
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this story. The little twist at the end was a big surprise. Emmanuelle de Maupassant has developed incredible characters and story to go with it. I can't wait to read more of what delicious, erotic treats she has in store for Mademoiselle Noire and Lord MacCaulay. Highly recommended!
Julia Rist
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book. This book! This is the book I wish I had written. This is the book the recent "how-do-we-rescue-erotica" debate was talking about, without knowing it had been written.

De Maupassant offers a delightful, quality romp. Yes, a romp. She brings back the joy, the fun, the playfulness that has been missing from erotica. She reminds us that sex stories are supposed to be FUN! The dialogue is witty, the asides are amusing, the social commentary brings a giggle in between the sexy bits, which
twelvejan [Alexandria]
4 very-well-done Stars!

I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. A few editing issues but it wasn't too major that it detracts from the story.

If you're looking for a well-written Victorian erotic novella, then look no further. It has (of course) an abundance of sexual content that some may find objectionable, a substantial plot, and a HEA. I have to admit, all the scenes were delicious!

description

Looking forward to Mademoiselle Noire and Lord MacCaulay's European Tour!

Conclusion: A sensual novella as smooth as si
Tamara Chandler
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written erotic novel based in Victorian times, so expect twosomes, threesomes, too-many-to-countsomes and a range of surprising encounters.

In between the naughty nookie, there is a subtle tale of love and lust, with a promise of another book, or more to come.

Whilst not the longest book you'll come across, it does pack a lot between its pages and the simple, yet effective narrative leave you plenty of room to indulge yourself in the fictitious carnal delights of the main protagoni
Low-La
This was one hell of an erotic and naughty read and I thoroughly enjoyed it!! The writing was captivating and each scene could be imagined and real. I am actually looking forward to the next installment in the sexual adventures of Lord MacCaulay & Mademoiselle Noire. ...more
Coco.V
Oct 17, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (10/17/2017)!
 Rosebud
Somewhere in Victorian era London, England there exists an exclusive establishment known as The Club. For all practical appearances, it's one of many exclusive Gentleman Clubs that cater to men of wealth who wish to enjoy some quiet time reading, drink a beverage or two in the company of friends, or savor a steak dinner with all the trimmings. This club however is different but you have to be a member to know how different.

This story follows one of the club members, Lord MacCaulay, who is about
Steelwhisper
I'm not sure what to think of this, and I will leave it unrated, as I went in already having my doubts.

For one thing, no prostitute of any kind can be sold as an "empowered woman" to me who independently lives out her own sexual needs. No way, no how. The heroine is a prostitute alright, and as such she has no agency.

Next thing is that despite this being protested, this is no actual rendering of consensual sex or consensual sadomasochism. This most assuredly is not BDSM either. In quite a few i
Divalle Curie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three adjectives: evocative, bold, steamy!

In The Gentlemen’s Club, Emmanuelle de Maupassant recreates a genuine atmosphere of late Victorian London, with all its secret decadence hiding beneath the veneer of gentility. In this illicit underworld, sexual license and ‘proper’ gender roles are reversed: men are made to submit, while women dominate. And it’s this perversion of normalcy that provokes Lord McCaulay, a seemingly respectable gentleman of high-born society, to obsess on his coquettishly
Seasar
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 UNEXPECTED STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

At first I thought The Gentlemen's Club is probably like other erotic novella, short and has no plot, only about sex. A quickie.

But boy, had I ever been so wrong...
This book is very well-written. The tone of the book had me glued to my kindle from the first page till last. The plot is so unexpected it's refreshing. Even now, when I re-read the book I still think, 'I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!'

There are some scene that I normally won't like but the author, Ms. Emmanue
Tamara Lush
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well-written story about a woman who travels on her unique path during a time when that wasn't socially acceptable. I can't wait for the next installment. This is a very steamy, sexual story but written with class, grace and wit. Loved it.
Michael Dalton
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a superior, engaging piece of work that kept me guessing right up until the last page. The author has made a determined effort to create a vivid, detailed setting peopled with interesting characters you want to learn more about.

The story is set in fin de siècle London, and our purported main character, Lord MacCaulay, is a member of a discreet club devoted to pleasures of the flesh. One night a new grand dame of the club arrives to direct the ceremonies: a mysterious auburn-haired woman
Stephanie
The first thing that drew me to this book was the contrast between the cover and the description. The cover for the Kindle edition I read is different from the one featured here on Goodreads -- it’s a nineteenth-century illustration of birds, yet I felt like I had an inkling of what I was getting into. The setting was perfectly set for a Victorian-era gentlemen’s club before I’d even read the first page.

This is the best piece of erotica I’ve read in a long time. The Victorian setting and languag
Grumpy Writer
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate that it's not to everybody's taste, but if you're hunting for some good Victorian erotica, then you should look no further than The Gentlemen's Club. But you'll certainly be surprised to find out that this is, in fact, a modern work; written in 2014. It's well done too - leading you happily through the plot with ease, and serving up adequate helpings of 'naughtiness' in a classic, tasteful way. Even the 'out there' stuff feels intimate and acceptable; a rare feat in today's world of ...more
Hamish
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotic-fiction
This is a very 'naughty' bit of spice indeed.

Much in the style of Fanny Burney and traditional 18-19th century erotica, the author has emulated the style with aplomb.

Quite a romp, with some major eye-openers (unless you read this sort of thing all the time, in which case I expect it's all 'meat and two veg' with an extra dash of gravy - so to speak!)

I found the plot inventive and felt involved in the progress of the leading characters, but the book's strength lies in its sensuous descriptive p
Laz the Sailor
I'm not a big fan of historicals, but this one was pretty good. Taking place in an upscale sex club removed a lot of the repressive aspects of that era. The descriptions were nicely overdone, and didn't distract from the very hot sex. The story is short, so there are not a lot of political plot machinations to wade through.

This sets the stage for a sequel, but I don't know if there will be one.
Nikki Sex
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Not a LOVE STORY! LOL! This is the best of the British for a sexy regency era erotica set in a club. The Gentleman's Club is for the hedonists as its pure sex and sensation. If you like the Regency era and hot sensual scenes that cross EVERY BARRIER of "right" and "wrong" this book is for you! Sexy!
Karma♥Bites ^.~
For those certain few...
Victorian-era erotica [BDSM/femdom] currently FREE @ Amazon
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ND6R1QE/

I'll only say that every time I see this author's name, I think:
Guy de Maupassant + Emmanuelle of Skinemax fame :P
Armenia
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, erotic and so unexpected

Ms. De Maupassant gives us a well written, erotic historical tale. At first, I thought there were two storylines paralleling each other, a sort of dance, where I would hope they would intersect at some point.

We are introduced to Maud, a young woman whose days are filled with mundane and serene interests. All pursuits are governed by strict societal rules as befits her station during nineteenth century London. Maud is intelligent, educated and portrayed as a bi
Pam
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Victorian London, The Gentlemen's Club is a fascinating story of the Victorian era's misogyny, double standards, and hypocrisy. Maud is a young upper class woman whose life has been planned out for her in every detail. However, she's not content with what's expected of her. She wants more. Living with her great-aunt Isabella in London, her life is not unpleasant. But she feels restricted, confined. She has dreams, but what can she do about them? Despite her wealth, she's not free to do as ...more
Angela
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

“We live in the wondrous here and now and it’s here that our flesh must take its pleasure. Your body is yours and yours alone, but not for long, and never long enough.”
Mademoiselle Noire

The Gentleman’s Club by Emmanuelle de Maupassant is a very erotic and risqué Victoriana story set in 1898 London. It is dark, graphic, raunchy, and quite different from a lot of other stories in this genre. The is a lot of sex happening in this book, which is kinky, often and varied- There are scenes with
Joann Herley
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Gentlemen's Club. The characters Lord MacCaulay and Mlle. Noir were complex and captivating. In a time where men held all the power, Mlle. Noir could command a room full of men just by entering the room. It was easy to picture the tension in the room, as they witnessed the scenes that were not for the faint of heart. You could feel Lord MacCaulay’s longing as the story progressed, and the surprise at the end was sublime. I am eager to see where this story leads.
T.C. Mill
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
First off, what a GORGEOUS color. A+++ for packaging. I'd leave it out on the coffee table with the art prints if not for the questions it might raise.

My problem is I got into this story expecting it to be decadent historical femdom. Decadent...yes. Historical...yes, and strongly so--the Victorian setting isn't merely a backdrop but infuses everything from the daytime heroine's adventures (which are refreshingly non-sexual as a foil to MacAuley's raunchy nights) to the language of the sex scene
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Indecent (Regency Lovers #1)
  • When Only an Indecent Duke Will Do (Romancing the Rake, #1)
  • Tempting a Marquess (A Steamy Regency Romance, #4)
  • Punishing Miss Primrose, Parts I - V: An Erotic Historical in the Red Chrysanthemum Series
  • Wicked Torment (Regency Sinners, #1)
  • Masquerade (Scandalous Ballroom Encounters, #1)
  • Making of a Scandal (The Gentleman Courtesans Book 3)
  • Cavern of Pleasures Boxset: Georgian Regency Romance
  • Taming of the Rake (The Gentleman Courtesans Book 4)
  • My Lord, Lady, and Gentleman (Surrey SFS #3)
  • The Damsel (The Villain #4)
  • The Chateau Debauchery Starter Set (Chateau Debauchery, Books 1 & 2)
  • Her Gilded Prison (Daughters of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender to Sin (Fallen, #1)
  • Willful in Winter (The Wicked Winters #4)
  • An Unconventional Affair (Forever Yours, #9)
  • Duke of Debauchery (Sins and Scoundrels #5)
  • Portrait of a Lady (The Gentleman Courtesans #1)
Emmanuelle lives with her husband (maker of tea and fruit cake) and loves haggis pudding terriers (those connoisseurs of bacon treats and squeaky toys).

She writes historical tales filled with steam, suspense, and elements of romance.

Visit her website - www.emmanuelledemaupassant.com - to find a FREE story to download, and to sign up for her newsletter (monthly gossip, giveaways and goodies).

Noire (2 books)
  • Italian Sonata (Noire #2)

News & Interviews

“On many nights I have availed myself of these very gentlemen, in the adjoining room. Each time, I wondered if you might arrive and see me, as I took my pleasure, allowing their hands to explore my body. There is no part of me that has not been kissed and enjoyed. I opened myself in welcome, encouraging my suitors to bury themselves deep and hard, to obliterate all reserve and find the heart of me.”

Mademoiselle Noire - The Gentlemen's Club”
15 likes
“How dull would it be to consume my meat with only one variety of sauce? My body and spirit would whither, being fed on such limited fare. To sample the delights of a great many women is considered right and healthy for a man, yet the opposite is held true for those of our sex. Where we display undue interest in sexual matters, even within marriage, we are thought immoral. For myself, I can only conceive of such limitation with horror: a torture for which I have no taste.”

Mademoiselle Noire - The Gentlemen's Club”
14 likes