Start by marking “Points of Departure” as Want to Read:
Points of Departure

Read Book

Points of Departure

In this young adult novel, best friends Kit and Liza have been looking forward to this trip forever.

Five girls, five tickets overseas. It’s exactly what they all need after the final slog of high school. But when Kit’s suddenly forced to drop out, Liza’s left with three girls she barely knows.

There’s Mai, committed only to partying. There’s Tam, who already has her doubts
Published June 16th 2016 by Ylva Publishing

Catherine
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Emily O'Beirne knows how to write interesting, real, fun characters that I could read about for days! I'm a huge fan of her A Story of Now series and now am a fan of this book. She finds the perfect mix of personalities to add something special to the story making the characters the champions of her books. I honestly think if she wrote a story about a group of people watching paint dry I would be entertained!

This story was unique having four character points of views on a travel experience overs
Tiff
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A breath of fresh air, that’s what this book was to me. Points of Departure by Emily O’Beirne captures the spirit of friendship and adventure in the most charming manner possible. This is the story of five young women who are bonded by an epic adventure to see the world post-high school graduation.

The book starts off as the five ladies get ready to take this grand adventure to Europe and Thailand. The bad news is that Kit, the organizer and touchstone of the group is going to have to bail. Kit’
lov2laf
Real...that's what this book feels like. Four very different from each other and do not know each other 18-year-old girls go on a 5 city travel journey around Europe after graduating high school, with a fifth friend that brought the four together in the first place staying behind at home.

Each character is well-defined and going through her own struggles but nothing is overly dramatic and what is dramatic doesn't necessarily get a rosy, sweet wrap up, either. It's what happens. Sometimes the res
lucie
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english, 2016
Points of Departure follows four girls on their travel adventure and it was easy and pleasant to read.

description

At first I was little bit confused because I didn't know anything about the main characters, but author revealed their background stories and strugglings in every chapter and that's why I couldn't stop reading - I wanted to get to know them, even when there wasn't a main storyline. It was interesting to watch how they're finding a way to their life-decisions.

But I am quite disappointed. I expect
Inge
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I requested Points of Departure a few months ago when I was really digging travel stories, but for some reason never got around to it. I’m glad I kept a hold on this story, though, because I ended up really enjoying it. Our four (five) main characters are all very different girls with their own flaws and talents, but each likeable in their own way – they were also really diverse in terms of race and sexuality, so I really appreciated that.

Overall, this story was just really nice and pleasant to
Lexxi Kitty

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Ylva Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book I’ve read by this author.

Five young women all of whom, I believe, are 18, are nearing the ends of their high school years. One, who is a friend to them all, and the glue that holds the various parties together, has come up with a plan to travel together. That would be Kit. Kit has roped in Liza, super athlete/runner/lesbian/BFF of Kit; Olivia and Mai (they seem to get lumped
Bee
Quite The Novel Idea ~ Words from the Clouds

I was fairly excited to read this book. It's Aussie YA, which I'm always eager to read more of, and it's an LGBT novel on top of that. Judging from the blurb it would focus on friendship, and I love friendship books. So did this book live up to my expectations? Yes and no.

I liked the growing friendships in this book. I really enjoyed seeing Liza bond with the other girls during their travels. I also liked the travel aspect of the story. Th
Karina
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ff, 2016, ebook
I love reading about travelling. And this book delivered it quiete right. I kinda love the book. I mean this is my third book from this author and yea, I love the way Emily writes. I love that the characters have their own struggles and tried their hardest to overcome it. But I think what I love the most is the love story between the two girls. Sadly because there are several POV the love arory is kinda limited. I want more of their story.

So, 3.5 stars from me!

ARC for Netgalley
Starsandsun18
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So, it's Tam on the cover right?
As expected it's very well written. This is more of Travel/Friendship book than Romance but it's still enjoyable for me.
4 POV's and I'm glad Mai's not on that list because I would skip it if ever she has one (No offense).

5 individuals planned their after Graduation Europe vacation, the only problem is.. well, Kit is the main person that connected them and right before they're supposed to go, Kit suddenly backs out. How can they jive together with out Kit to glue
Elke
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it

This is the story about five Australian girls going on a big, awesome backpacking adventure. That is until it turns out that Kit, the glue of the group, the girl who brought them together and knows all of them, can't go. Now the other four girls have an added stress factor to this holiday, and that while each of them already has their own worries.

I think this is the first Australian book I've read? It was nice but sometimes threw me off and I had to re-realise that I didn't have to ass
Meh
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ffavs
One of the things I really admire in this author is her capability of writing good stories that happens to have queer characters in it, instead of writing stories just for their queer characters to be in it. Her stories are good, and the fact that the main characters are bi or lesbians is just that, a part of the story and not the story itself. It's just an important fact to help you understand their journey.

It's truly refreshing to see that kind of approach in the GLBTA literature. I read her p
Paula  Phillips
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a fan of travel and backpacking type novels as I personally have always wanted to give it a go and I have done an OE sort of trip around America which I loved and am headed back there next year, I have loved reading about them and one of my favourite places to read about is Europe as that is on my bucket list to visit - one day. In this book we meet five friends who are all connected by one female in particular - Kit. Kit was supposed to come on holiday with them as it's their last trip of fr ...more
Tanya
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Point of Departure is about five girls (Kit, her two best friends Olivia and Liza, her other friend Mai and Kit's cousin Tam) who are spending the summer traveling to different countries (Portugal, Italy, Slovenia, England and Thailand) before going to law school together. Unfortunately, Kit has to drop out of the trip when she finds herself in debt and the other girls go without her.

The book is told in third person from the view points of four of the characters. We don't get to see Mai's point
Marie
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I really, really enjoyed this book. Girls getting on an adventure, travelling through Europe, friendships growing, a side of romance? I'm ALL for it. Points of Departure really is a story about the characters, though, I enjoyed getting to know each of the girls and loved seeing them develop thourough the story. I especially loved Olivia's struggles and pressures she puts on herself, Liza was a second favorite though.
If I loved the characters, I wish that we got to get more of the countries and
Cat
I won a signed copy in a giveaway!

Best friends Liza and Kit are going travelling together after they finish high school, with three of Kit's other friends who Liza doesn't know that well: Olivia, Tam and Mai. However, Kit is unable to come, so Liza becomes closer with the other girls.

Each of the five girls except Mai has a POV. This made me suspicious towards the beginning because I thought Mai was the only character of colour (Chinese and Vietnamese Australian), but it's later indicated that L
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review.

Huge warning. Do not read this book if you are in the mood for travel and adventure. This book made me wish I could leave tonight. It made me wish I could go back to when I was eighteen and travel with friends. Maybe through Europe or even just across the US.

Points of Departure is about five girls. One girl, Kit, is friend with the other four, but they barely know each other. Kit has to bail on their trip and the four are left together to
Daniela W
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: do-read
I'm not really sure how to explain why I liked this novel. But I'll give my best.

Even though the different scenes are rather loose-fitting and there isn't really a main story idea (well, maybe travelling could be the point of this book), I was really sucked into the world of each different girl and time flew by while I was reading. I'm sure a lot of readers are able to identify with at least one girl's problems, so that's a huge plus for me.

The writing is really easy and flowing, but the differe
Della
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will admit this up front that I am a huge fan of Emily O’Beirne. Her novel Points of Departure solidifies this fact. During the end of school five young women decide to take a month trip before starting the next part of their life journey. The trip is conceived and planned by Kit and it includes her best friend Lisa who has always been a competitive runner. Lisa is struggling with her decision to give up competition and adjusting to her new awareness of being a Lesbian.
Kit’s other friends Oli
Mersini
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really fun to read. 4 girls travel overseas together, none of them really knowing the other. What follows is a book of each of them learning more about each other and themselves, interspersed with letters to and from home. It's a fun book. Nothing amazing. The writing style could've used some improvement, but O'Beirne has improved since this one; Here's The Thing definitely showed this.

It's worth reading though. I appreciated that Aussieness of it, and the coming of age theme, which, while over
Williesun
Review originally published on Lazy Happy Bored Happy Sad...

This book found me at the right time. I read 'Points of Departure' by Emily O'Beirne while being on vacation and I actually read most of it while sitting at the airport in Trondheim, Norway, because I got their stupidly early. But it was very fitting since this is a travel story of five Australian women right out of high school.

Originally the five girls had planned to go on a Europe trip together after graduation and the group was supp
Emanuele
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-lgbt
Any book that has multiple characters give me a hard time to remember things. So, the first 5 to 10 chapters, I was always coming back to "Characters".

Since this is the first edition, I notice some minors mistake here and there. Nothing absurd or that could make the reading experience a problem.

I adore the fact that Emily wrote simple, but sensitive, things like "Obrigado" (although it should be 'Obrigada' because, in Portuguese, women say 'obrigada' and men say 'obrigado'), "Oma" and "Nonna".
Willow
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five different girls, with differents personalities and backgrounds and that are not friends, decides to go on a trip together. That's basically the premise of this book.

I didn't know what to expect when i started reading. I have read the other three books this author has written. And everyone of them was fantastic in her own unique way. And this one is amazing also.

When i started it there were some characters i didn't like too much, like Mai for example with all her loudiness or Tam, who i tho
M. Hollis
This book is lacking heart and a something more that I could not find in any page.

There were too many POVs that were never enough developed. More than one time, I found myself confused as to who's chapter I was reading. Chapters would have more than one POV and the voices were all the same, there wasn't any distinction in how they think and speak.

I was also disappointed that a travelling book didn't explore enough the actual travelling part. When you are going around all these different countrie
Morgan
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
A cute, coming of age story centering around five Australian girls traveling through Europe during their pre-university weeks. It's told over alternating perspectives from each of the girls, with the exception of one for some reason. I'm not sure why we never actually hear from her and because of that she just becomes a plot device and caricature rather than a true fifth character. While there was nothing really wrong with the book, I didn't really feel connected to any of the characters. The gr ...more
Irene (thefictionthief)
*I received this ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Okay so I'm really biased but basically the reason I enjoyed this book was because yay a lesbian romance that ends in a positive way! It was such a nice slow burn relationship that probably wasn't the sole focus of the book which had a lot of different main characters, but it was definitely why I read the book and absolutely what I cared most about in reading it. And it was Australian. So really this book
Ty
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the third book I've read by this author, and I loved it just as much as the other two. The thing that she does that you don't see a lot of from other people in this genre is she really spends time developing her characters before diving into any story of how they are going to tangle together. There's no page two revelation of an inexplicable attraction to someone you've just seen for the first time. Because the reader gets to know the characters so well, by the time any romance comes alo ...more
Amélie Boucher
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review to come
curlscentric
💖💖 (2/5)

I feel badly about not having fallen in love with this book. I mean, a road trip that features two friends ending up as girlfriends? I should have liked it. I wanted to like it. But it was just...OK.

The idea of four alternating POVs sounded cool, but it would have been a lot easier to differentiate them had they been written in first person. You couldn't really use the characters' voices to determine whether or not one was more interesting than the other, since their chapters were all wr
M the avid reader
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story but not my favorite by this author (3.5 stars)

In Points of Departure, five Australian girls who've planned to go trek around Europe after high school have one of them cancel last minute, leaving the remaining four to go without her; the one not going is the only one who is friends with all the others so it's essentially four strangers with one friend in common going on a multi country holiday together complete with all the awkwardness and making the best of it thru their travels and
Brooke Banks
This is the first novel I read from Emily O’Beirne but I have another review coming for another novel of hers, Here’s the Thing, coming on the 30th. This is definitely one author to follow and I will be reading her first series, A Story of Now.

The F/F romance and blurb hooked me. It wasn’t exactly like I’d assumed but it smashed my expectations. It follows five very different young women during the summer after high school graduation.

I easily recommend this one for contemporary, QUILTBAG, and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Gravity
  • Kaleidoscope Song
  • Map of Ireland
  • Amelia Westlake
  • Training Ground (Girls of Summer, #1)
  • Everything Changes
  • (You) Set Me on Fire
  • The Dream of Doctor Bantam
  • White Nights, Black Paradise
  • Chasing Stars
  • Souls of the Stones Omnibus (Souls of the Stones, #1, 2, 3)
  • The Paths We Choose (Lillac Town #2)
“The seductiveness of always being about to get someplace, the promise of the journey, compared to the reality of the destination” 0 likes
“What is wrong with their dumb school system that you are supposed to have what you want to do with your life set in stone before you even begin to have any kind of life? It's so stupid.” 0 likes