Start by marking “The Sister” as Want to Read:
The Sister

The Sister

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  27,908 Ratings  ·  1,586 Reviews
‘I did something terrible, Grace. I hope you can forgive me…’

Grace hasn't been the same since the death of her best friend Charlie. She is haunted by Charlie's last words, and in a bid for answers, opens an old memory box of Charlie's. It soon becomes clear there was a lot she didn't know about her best friend.
307 pages
Published July 7th 2016 by Bookouture (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Sister, please sign up.
Sheila
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brittney Walters
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chelsea Humphrey
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Here’s another one of those cases where I was being a good little girl, minding my own business and being all mature; not requesting anything else from NetGalley until my ratio stabilizes (go ahead and laugh). But then all my friends were reading it, and if there’s anything you can count on, its Chelsea not wanting to be left out of the cool reading group. Of course the summary drew me in along with the GORGEOUS cover, so there went my NetGalley sabbatical and all my dignity with it. I’m really ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
So I started out loving this book!! I wanted to know what was going on! Who did what and why!?

Then over half the damn book I wanted to stab everyone in the book!!!!

Then toward the end when more revelations came about, I started liking it again. But I'm leaving it at 3 stars for my angst. So there!

Mel ❤😡
Deanna
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars

The Sister begins in the present. Twenty-five-year old Grace Matthews is digging up an old time capsule that her and her best friend Charlie buried ten years before.

She never thought she'd be alone opening the box that contained all of their hopes and dreams. Things that were important to both of them as well as a bright pink envelope that Charlie slipped in right before they buried it. Grace doesn't know what's in
Candace
Recently, I've been reading a bit more mystery/suspense. 'The Sister' seemed like it would be a great match for me. I love a book that can keep me on the edge of my seat, wondering what is going to happen next and making my heart rate quicken.

Grace, the heroine is still reeling from the death of her best friend, Charlie, years later. She never really got over the way that Charlie died unexpectedly. She's left with many unanswered questions, as Charlie died before explaining the cryptic note that
Linda
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of The Sister by Louise Jensen through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Bookouture and to Louise Jensen for the opportunity.

All we needed was the boiled rabbit.

Grace Matthews and Charlie Fisher were childhood friends who were as thick as thieves. From the turning of the first few pages, we find out that Charlie has died and Grace is inconsolable. Grace returns to the exact spot where the two had buried a memory box when they were fifteen years old. She digs up the b
Maureen
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
*Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for my ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Though there was something of a slow start, I somehow sensed that this was just an interlude in which to catch my breath before the action really started.

Grace, Charlie (Charlotte), and Dan have been friends since primary school. The friendship has endured into adulthood, and while Grace and Dan set up home together, Grace and Charlie still remain inseparable. On Grace's 15th birthday, the girls had buried
Melissa
This one was a little too contrived for my liking. I think the author crammed in too many ideas - multiple deaths, fires, bullying, cheating, stalking and even a psycho for good measure. At some point, it was overkill.

Grace has had a hard time coping with the death of her best friend, Charlie. Her marriage is crumbling and she’s racked with guilt. Guilt for things the author only alludes to in the beginning. There is some suspense in trying to decipher what her role has been and a creep factor
Sue
THE SISTER by Louise Jensen is this author’s debut novel, and it is a definite winner…and from my favourite publisher! This is a dark psychological thriller, full of twists and turns and I kept on turning the pages, not willing to miss a thing… wanting to know more. I did not want to do anything else but read this fabulous book. I can’t believe that this is a debut novel!

Grace, Charlie and Dan have been friends since public school. Grace and Charlie were best friends…they were inseparable! On Gr
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Grace has a lot of problems. Many months have passed since the death of her best friend, and she still isn’t back to right. She pops pills and guzzles booze to cope. She is shrewish and naggy with her longtime boyfriend. Whiny, brittle, and needy with everyone else. I was somewhat sympathetic in the beginning, but before all was said and done, I just wanted her to stifle herself! It is a matter of supreme indifference to me as to whether I l
Carrie
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Sister is another wonderful psychological thriller from Louise Jensen. The Sister was originally published in 2016 and was Ms. Jensen's first thriller but I did not begin reading her work until her next book. So far she has released four thrillers and I'd read three and enjoyed them so when I saw this one was be re-released I knew I had to pick it up and I'm glad I did.

The Sister follows twenty five year old Grace who is still mourning the loss of her best friend Charlie. Grace and Charlie h
Michelle
Grace and Charlie have been best friends since childhood but when Charlie suddenly dies at 24 yrs old Grace's life becomes upended. She can't eat, she doesn't get out of bed, and her relationship with her long time boyfriend Dan becomes strained to the point that neither seems to want to make an effort anymore.

Then Grace's life starts to slowly get back to normal through therapy. She's working again and is trying to maintain her composure. Charlie was raised by a single mom and before she passe
Melisa
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, netgalley, arc
That was the best nail-biting page turner I've read in awhile! I could not put this one down.

First of all, well done Louise Jensen. Cannot believe this is a debut novel. Really great storytelling and writing. I could not for one second figure out where the plot was going to take me. In my humble opinion, it is the sign of a great thriller writer that the reader is left guessing a different alternative ending from chapter to chapter. She completely had me guessing that one character was the bad g
Brenda
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A psychological thriller with a brilliant twist you won't see coming." That's the promise in the title. My initial reaction was, "I'll be the judge of that."

The main character, Grace, was well developed. I could sympathize with her up to a point. At times she seemed too needy, too paranoid, and too willing to jump to conclusions. I liked Charlie more because she was stronger and unafraid of tackling life. I was sorry Charlie just up and left. Anna was everything I expected her to be.

Supporting
Jan
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
If you are a fan of Lifetime movies, you will really enjoy this.
Unfortunately for me, I'm not...

Grace and Charlie; childhood friends brought together because they shared something in common-neither had a Father. But something happened in their past, and now Charlie is dead. Soon after, Anna arrives, saying she is Charlie's half sister. Grace has found another tie to Charlie and she can't believe her luck. But then things start to happen....

I won't bother sharing some of the things that start to
Obsidian
Jul 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Before anyone judges me, I did not know that was the full title of the book I bought because I just went by the Goodreads Paperback Edition. If I had, I would have skipped over this book though the summary did interest me.

So here's the main problem. It took way too long for some things to be explained in this book. The sentence structures were choppy as anything and the main character was not that smart. All other characters are not very developed and the twist part of the book I called when I
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I know that in life when things go wrong, they tend to multiply and really go wrong. But still I felt that there were just too many things going wrong, too many deaths, too many coincidences and I never really bought into the story.

Grace has lost a lot of people - her parents to start with. Then a school friend dies and her best friend, Charlie, takes off on her own without saying goodbye or where she was going.

Added to this, Grace has serious trust issues; with her boyfriend, with her friends
Malia
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had my eye on The Sister for a while, and what very excited to be approved for a copy on NetGalley! The book took me nearly a month to finish, however that has far less to do with its plot than with the fact that I still struggle a little with ebooks, and I tend to read only short bits at a time, because the kindle strains my eyes far more than paper. Anyway...
The book did get my attention from the start, and even though I read it slowly, the story really stayed in my mind, so I never had to
Carolyn
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent debut novel - a pyschological thriller that builds slowly, gradually filling out the details and adding layers to produce a sizzling finale when it all comes together with some major reveals.

Grace had a bad start to her early childhood with her father dying and her mother absconding, leaving Grace to be brought up by her grandparents. She was bullied at school until she met Charlie (Charlotte) who became her champion and best friend. By the time they were 18 they were as clo
Lisa
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sister by Louise Jensen is a fast paced psychological thriller that is well written & the characters well developed. I really enjoyed this novel & had to review it now.

Grace Matthews is heartbroken over the death of her best friend Charlie Fisher Grace returns to the same spot that they buried a memory box 10 years earlier a pink envelope inside she opens it & finds out things about Charlie that she didn't know.

Then she comes across a girl claiming to be Charlies sister Anna her
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
The Sister is one of those books that, despite being good I also want to slap some sense into some of the characters. Let's start with Grace, she's been in a funk since her best friend Charlie died. And, then she suddenly discovers that Charlie had a sister called Anna. But, at the same time, everything in her life starts to go wrong. It was kind of frustrating to read about how Grace life starts to fall apart and she still doesn't seem to grasp that the person most likely behind it all is livin ...more
Jules
The Sister is a dark and tense psychological thriller.

Initially I was so hung up on the book title, needing to know who the sister was, and how she would be connected to the story. I found myself thinking up all sorts of scenarios. However, one thing I quickly learnt while reading this book, was to expect the unexpected and trust no one!

This story has an interesting plot, which despite only having a few main characters, had a lot of layers and depth to it. The characters were well developed. Som
Linda Strong
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I will begin by saying this certainly does not read like a debut novel. From page one, it reads as though a seasoned author had put this together.

Charlie (Charlotte) and Grace became friends when they met in school. They say that opposites attract, and in this case, it was so true. Charlie was outgoing, friendly, and willing to do almost anything for a bit of fun. Grace is quieter, an introvert, but a willing follower of Charlie.

The book takes you back and forth between NOW and THEN, as the girl
Brenda
4.5s

When Grace was nine years old she started a new school; in a new town and also living with her grandparents. She had a secret but she kept the sadness hidden – but the teasing and torment of a new student were stopped by Charlie as she stood up for her against the bullies. Grace and Charlie became best friends from that time forward – going through much together but loving each other all the same. But when they were in their early twenties, Charlie died.

Grace couldn’t find a way through he
Mandy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Probably more like 3.5 stars.
This is the story of Grace, who lives with long-time boyfriend, Dan. As the book begins, Grace is just beginning to get over the sudden death of her best friend, Charlie. Grace decides to try to find Charlie's dad, as her friend had talked about doing that before she died.
Then Grace meets Anna, who says she's Charlie's sister. Pretty soon Anna is living with Grace and Dan, and seems to be insinuating herself into every aspect of Grace's life.
Meanwhile Grace is starti
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I have to say that I am literally gob smacked that this is the authors debut novel. I mean, to be able to write a story that is woven with so many twists and turns has got to be quite an achievement on it’s own, but to be able to get it spot on in your very first novel? Well that is exactly what Louise Jensen has gone and done.

The Sister is literally full of mystery and suspense that constantly has the reader trying to guess in between the lines.

Grace and Charlie were the best of friends and liv
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Think "Single White Female" meets "Fatal Attraction" and you have "The Sister". Although I did enjoy this book, I gave it 3 stars because I felt that there were some plot holes in the story. Also, I felt that the ending was a little rushed or maybe that Jensen was trying to cram too much into too little time left in the book. I'm not really sure.

Overall, I think the story works, but there were a bunch of times that I was litera
Petra
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, uk, mystery
Since Grace's childhood best friend, Charlie, has died, life has been a struggle for Grace. It's been affecting her relationship with her boyfriend, Dan, and with Charlie's Mum, Lexie. Unable to move on, Grace is determined to fulfill Charlie's wish to find the father who abandoned her and to find out what exactly Charlie was referring to when she said she had done something terrible and was sorry.
First of all, I was thoroughly impressed by the writing. Absolutely brilliant for a debut novel. I
Holly
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, netgalley
*4.5 stars

I want to thank Chelsea Humphrey for loving this book because it made me want to request it! And I'm so happy that I did:) It's been awhile that I've read a book in one sitting. I decided to begin it late afternoon, thinking I would just read a few chapters before bed. Nope, midnight came along and I was just finishing! So thanks again Chelsea!!

The story goes back and forth between Now and Then, which I tend to like stories that do that (if they're done well). It basically focuses on G
Kristina
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book--the premise seemed great and I love a good thriller, but, ultimately, I had trouble even finishing it.

The book started off good, told in alternating chapters of Now and Then, from the perspective of Grace--a 25 year old living with her boyfriend, Dan, and still reeling from the recent death of her best childhood girlfriend Charlie. Six years prior to Charlie's death she had left town suddenly, leaving a note for Grace that said "I'm so sorry, Grace. Please forgiv
Ashley Daviau
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From start to finish this story had me totally and completely hooked! I loved how both the then and now parts of the story were interchanged and that we got to see both stories develop at the same time, it almost made everything seem more sinister. Every single time I thought I had something figured out my theory was completely blown out of the water and I was just left with my jaw hanging. There were just SO many things that I didn’t see coming and it made for such an exciting and page turning ...more
Play Book Tag: The Sister by Louise Jensen - 4 stars 1 40 Apr 26, 2016 09:50PM
  • After the Lie
  • All Is Not Forgotten
  • S is for Stranger
  • The Missing Hours
  • Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)
  • The Perfect Neighbors
“We all have to carry the consequences of our own actions, no matter how heavy they are.” 4 likes
“Grief has pushed us apart like repelling magnets: no matter how hard we try to reach each other, there's a gulf between us that we just can't bridge.” 2 likes