Start by marking “Rumors and Promises” as Want to Read:
Rumors and Promises

Rumors and Promises

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Sophie Biddle, an heiress on the run with a child in tow, considers herself abandoned by her family and God. Wary, self-reliant Sophie is caught off guard when meeting a kind, but meddling and handsome minister at the local mercantile.

In 1900, Reverend Ian McCormick is determined to start anew in Stone Creek, Michigan, believing he has failed God and his former flock. He
Published April 18th 2016 by Heritage Beacon Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Rumors and Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumors and Promises

Melissa Henderson
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sophie Biddle has changed her name and is traveling with a young child. Why is she fleeing her hometown? She meets Reverend Ian McCormick and her life changes. This is a story of finding love, trust and forgiveness. The author gives depth to the characters and makes the reader feel as if they were right there in the town with the people. I enjoyed this story.
Donn Taylor
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Rouser Sophia Bidershem, a teen-aged heiress in late nineteeth century Detroit, was taken advantage of by a predatory older man and bore a daughter outside of marriage. To avoid a forced marriage, she runs away with the Daughter, Caira, always fearing her predator might find them. Taking the name Sophie Biddle and pretending that the now-two-year-old Caira is her sister, she arrives destitute in Stone Creek, Michigan, to take a job in a boarding house and start a new life. Her pleasant ...more
Marilyn
Rumors and Promises, Kathleen Rouser's debut novel, was a sensational true to life read. Ms Rouser is a gifted and talented author.

I was drawn into the lives of the characters Sophie Biddle and Reverend Ian McCormick from the very beginning. Sophie and Ian both have secrets from their past. Will they be able to overcome them or will the attitude of certain members in the community and church ruin their chance of being together?

Kathleen has created a beautiful historical romance story with char
Jodie Wolfe
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I recently had the pleasure of reading Kathleen Rouser's new book, Rumors and Promises. I was swept up in the tale of young Sophie Biddle and her daughter as she's thrown into a world of having to provide for herself instead of living in the lap of luxury, like she was raised.

A meddling minister, Ian McCormick and his sister, are determined to help Sophie. He's dogged by his past failures and wants to assist however he can, without drudging up his past mistakes.

Sophie passes her daughter off as
Karen Wingate
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the late 19th century era book, Rumors and Promises, Sophie Biddle is on the run. Set in a time frame where society judges a woman who conceives a child out of wedlock regardless of the circumstances, Sophie determines to make a better life for the child she chooses to keep even though she sees her life as ruined. Yet Ian McCormick, a pastor of a small town church who has his own secrets is determined to protect the newcomer. Kathleen Rouser handles what in our day is still a touchy topic wit ...more
Pegg
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-read
Sophie Biddle has few expectations when she arrives in Stone Creek. She and 2-year-old Caira need a place to live and an income. Taking the job at a boarding house will fit both needs. Shelter, food, and enough money to purchase material to replace their worn-out clothing is the best she can hope for. Meeting handsome Ian McCormick isn't in her plans. With the secret she must protect, there is no place in her life for a man. Especially not a man of the cloth.

Charming story set in turn-of-the-20
Elaine Stock
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I finished Kathleen Rouser's Rumors and Promises with a sigh of delight over this nostalgic love story. Not only is it a love story between Sophie, a woman who learns how to hold her head up in dignity despite a great harm done to her, and Ian, a Reverend who suffers when he believes he's allowed another to suffer, but it's also the love story between God and His children. And that's my type of excellent read! I appreciate Ms. Rouser's subtle but lovely message that we all need to take our conce ...more
Nancy
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rumors and Promises is a wonderful story of overcoming your past by trusting God with your future.
Carolyn Vandine west
I really liked this book, but it was kind of slow going. Some books just seem to fly by but this one was one that took a little longer to read. It was a pretty predictable storyline but a cute, clean story.
Kella
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I love stumbling upon new authors!! Especially ones as talented as Kathleen Rouser and her debut novel, Rumors and Promises. Seriously, this book is ADORABLE! It is filled with quirky characters, frigid winters, and enough action and drama to fill your head with angst and sighs all around.

Months after Sophie Biddle is accosted by a scoundrel, she takes her child on the run to escape that wretched man, the town gossip, and her own disappointed and unforgiving family. When Sophie lands a job worki
Courtney Clark
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is very much a character-driven story of belonging and forgiveness. Sophie and Ian
are endearing and instantly relatable. Kathleen Rouser brings the reader on a journey into a realistic and quaint small town with all its charms and a few difficult personalities. The sense of community Ian wants to establish and Sophie desires to be a part of is not easily obtained by either, yet the message of hope and acceptance is steadfast through all the ups and downs these two characters face.

I enjoyed
Stefanie Harten
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advanced copy of this book in exchange for a fair review. This is a debut novel for Kathleen Rouser. I have to admit I now have another favorite author and I look forward to more great reads from her!

This novel is set in the early 1900's when women led restricted lives and outcasted if they had a child out of wedlock. Sophie Biddle arrives in Stone Creek, Michigan with her "sister" and is offered help by the handsome Reverend Ian McCormick. She is hesitant because she does not wan
Janet Grunst
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s 1900 and a young Detroit heiress, Sophia Bidershem, shows up in Stone Creek, Michigan with a two-year old child she is passing off as her sister, Caira. But Sophie’s run away from her affluent family and now destitute and has taken the name of Sophie Biddle. The child is the result of an attack Sophie suffered from a former suitor her affluent parents wanted her to wed.
Sophie has created this ruse because this is an era when children born out of wedlock are a stigma for the child as well as
Rebecca
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Loneliness and regret create a heavy shroud, too heavy for a lovely single mother to bear. Determined to create a new life for herself and her young daughter, "Sophie Biddle" recreates herself in Stone Creek, Michigan, answering an advertisement for a housekeeping assistant, dreaming of owning her own sewing business one day. After meeting the town's kind, handsome minister and his widowed sister, Sophie's musical talents once again become a salve to her soul, but they also open a window to her ...more
Kathy
Yearning for safety, acceptance, and permanence, Sophie Biddle and her daughter Caira move to Stone Creek, Michigan to work in a boardinghouse. In order to keep her true identity hidden, and to be accepted into the community of the small town in 1900,Sophie introduces Caira as her sister, both having been orphaned.

As Sophie works hard at the boardinghouse, she is endeared by the owner, and the local (single) pastor and his sister. As these relationships develop, she is slowly able to trust God a
Amy Fields
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sophie was on the run with her daughter, Caira. Having a child out of wedlock forces her to assume the role of big sister to her daughter to preserve her child's reputation. Sophie is running from it all. She hopes to start fresh in Stone Creek.

Reverend Ian is also starting over after a tragic mistake. When the two meet there is an instant connection but both resist because they can't let go of the pasts that haunt them. Along the way we meet some wonderful secondary characters in the book. Est
Joan Arning
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Rumors and Promises is a story of forgiving ourselves and accepting God's forgiveness. You will sympathize with Sophie who does not feel she is worthy of love because of her past. Reverent Ian McCormick has to realize that he can't fix every situation. I enjoyed this book by Kathleen Rouser. I received this e-book from Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas in exchange for my honest opinion.
Alyssa
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just received my copy, and am seriously delighted to read this one! The cover looks beautiful, the story sounds intriguing and its set in my beloved Michigan, when so few books are! can't wait to share my thoughts after I read this one!
Lucienne Ouellette
Rumors and promises

Beautifully written loved the characters. It shows the power of good versus evil. Sometimes it is best not to look at our circumstances but focus on the love and power of Jesus.
Donna Foster
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
A good clean read flowing with a spiritual rhythm.
Alaina Maxam
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. it teaches you that gods love can help anyone
Brooke
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Spoilers**

Just finished this novel and I really enjoyed it! I love a good christian historical fiction book. I always learn things when reading them and I've decided even though they aren't real life stories, I seem to always get a lesson for real life.

This one as it is titled rumors and promises is very fitting. It is about a girl who was forced to lose her purity and in that day it was basically the worst thing that could happen to you short of being homeless and poor. She got pregnant and h
Janis Cox
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Taking us back to the early 1900s, Kathleen brings us face to face with the social issues of the times. One problem that our heroine faces is shown clearly. Families wanted their daughters to marry well. Money and social status superseded happiness and God’s will.

Sophie and Caira arrive in Stone Creek, running away from that scenario.

Since I live in a small town I understood the small town rumours that made Sophie’s struggle all the harder. Hurts run deep in both the main characters, Sophie and
Karina
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
A young heiress Sophie comes to Stone Creek with her young daughter, whom she is passing off as her sister. Sophie is an heiress running away from family and the man that accosted her and resulting in her daughter Caira. Sophie gains employment at a boarding house which will cover all her and Caira’s needs.
Sophie meets the Reverend Ian McCormick who is also single and has some secrets of his own. Together they work through their issues and through faith and love they work through the broken re
Josephine
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story

You can understand Sophie’s predicament. It’s interesting to read the thoughts related to the ethics of lying. Great story except for the Reverends.’s tolerance of the wicked old bitty. I know you need some conflict to create interest, but the church board was in sin for allowing her to go on. She had no redemption when she got brought down. Oh well. It was a happy ending.
Marjorie Hill
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen Rouser has done an excellent job of drawing me into the story of Sophie Biddle as she and her little daughter escape from a horrible experience where she was misunderstood and judged. She meets Reverend Ian McCormick who befriends her, but who has problems of his own to solve. Twists and turns create a page-turning story. Great writing.
Chanover55
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A young minister meets a young woman & her "sister" in the general store She has just arrived in town to work at the local boarding house. The weather turns bad,what is a pastor to do but offer her a ride. And so it begins , two souls with secrets they are not ready to share. What does God have in store for them? Loved the story!
Jan Hall
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: westerns
I loved this book. Sophie is on the run and is determined to start over hiding from her parents and the man who took advantage of her. I enjoyed getting to know her and some of the people in the town. I felt like a fly on the wall it was so realistic. I highly recommend this book.
Lynda Knapp
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable!

I definitely recommend this book. I will be on the lookout for other books by this author. Sophie, through no fault of her own, needs a second chance - and, our God is a God of second chances. So glad to see how it turned out!
Mary Albers Felkins
Sweet romance

Loved this tender take set in the past, honoring Christ centered values, those who’ve been victims not of their own choosing...ultimate redemption and justice over evil. For an easy read without complicated plot, I highly recommend this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Resting Places
  • Tough as Nails
  • Two Hearts Torn...
  • Carter's Heart Condition
  • Jerusalem Bound!
  • Strapless (Sparks of Hope, #2)
  • The Babel Conspiracy
  • Colorblind (On The Brink #2)
  • Matters of the Heart
  • A Reason to Stay
  • The Little Black Wedding Dress
  • Walking on Sea Glass (Sea Glass Inn #1)
  • Slow Dancing
  • Fat Chance
  • Gathered Waters
  • A Chance to Lie
  • Capri Capers
  • Vengeful Vows (Sins of the Flesh #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Bend in the Road
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be