Start by marking “The Romantics” as Want to Read:
The Romantics

The Romantics

Gael Brennan is about to have his heart broken when his first big relationship crumbles on the heels of his parents’ painful separation. Love intervenes with the intention of setting things right—but she doesn’t anticipate the intrusion of her dreaded nemesis: the Rebound. Love’s plans for Gael are sidetracked by Cara, Gael’s hot-sauce-wielding “dream girl.” The more Love ...more
Published November 1st 2016 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about The Romantics, please sign up.
Leah Konen Love is the omniscient narrator. Not really a person, just the one telling the story. You can really imagine her (or him) however you want to.
Leah Konen It's told from Love's point of view (the omniscient narrator), but it gets really close to Gael through the story, and it feels like a really close…moreIt's told from Love's point of view (the omniscient narrator), but it gets really close to Gael through the story, and it feels like a really close narration. Thanks for asking!(less)

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
2.5*

This was cute and fun, but I found the characters to be extremely annoying and the storyline was consequently not something I was really invested in. It was a super quick read though, and had a very unique concept!
Cait • A Page with a View
Release date: November 1, 2016

This was a super cute YA contemporary narrated by Love, which was a fun twist!

Love's commentary was quirky, fast-paced, surprisingly insightful, and actually relevant to modern readers (with all of the references to Game of Thrones, Wes Anderson analysis, and texts that didn't sound like they were written by someone who grew up in the 1980s). So even though the plot is fairly predictable, it's still a lighthearted and totally entertaining read!

The basic story is t
abby
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love is patient. Love is kind. Love totally dropped the ball with Gael Brennan's parents and feels the best recourse is to save Gael's own love life. And that means keeping him away from the rebound girl.

"... leave it to the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope to convince a guy that someone who straight-up irks him will also somehow save him."

I might cross-stitch that onto a pillow.

The problem with Gael is that he's a romantic. Not like he's into romantic comedies or anything like that, because he's no
Alyssa
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Romantics by Leah Konen
Publisher: Abrams
Publication Date: November 1, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Perfect for fans of Lauren Myracle and Rainbow Rowell, The Romantics will charm readers of all ages. Gael Brennan is about to have his heart broken when his first big relationship crumbles on the heels of his parents’ painful separation. Love intervenes with the intention of setting things right—but s
Meredith
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Love takes center stage in this sweet story about first love.

Love (a cupid-like figure) intervenes when 17 year-old Gael Brennan gets his heartbroken by the girl he thought to be his first love. A hopeless romantic, Gael has put all of his energy into his relationship with Anika. After dating for a whole month, Gael tells Anika that he loves her. Anika reacts by having an affair with Gael’s best friend, Mason. Gael, who is already struggling with the fallout from his parent’s separation, falls
Stacee
This book wasn't on my radar until I received a mailing from Amulet, complete with matching candy.

Love love loved that it was narrated by Love. That alone made it unique, but being able to get various backstories and footnotes was a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed Gael and his family, especially his little sister, Piper. The family unit is having some problems, but they were supportive and present and I always love to see that.

Overall, it was a quirky and cute read with a fabulous ending.

**Huge

Kelli Spear
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2016
* I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley *

All right. This book is absolutely adorable. I haven't had much luck with contemporaries this year, but the summary was too good to pass up.

The Romantics is narrated by Love, as in the emotion not a character name. Our main character, Gael, has had his heart broken in the worst way. His breakup has been preceded by the separation of his parents. He's starting to feel as though love may not be worth it after all.

But Love has plans for him.

W
Macarena Yannelli
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Este libro me re gusto, me encantó que un personaje masculino sea el personaje principal de una historia de amor, sobretodo porque Gael es re hopeless romantic.
Pero lo que más me gusto, es que el libro está narrado por "Cupido" o "el amor", que va a haciendo intervenciones a medida que narra la historia (lo cual es una de mis cosas favoritas en cualquier tipo de historias).
Una lectura divertida.
Alexa
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5 stars. Really cute story! If you like romantic comedies, then you'll most certainly find this book to be a solid read.
Kaya Dimitrova
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Първото, което ми направи впечатление в кигата, бе интересната идея на авторката да разкаже историята от името на Любовта. Самият сюжет на романа обаче беше предвидим - нещо, което исках и очаквах от книгата. А тя беше симпатично написана, романтична и забавна и единственото, което на моменти помрачаваше удоволствието ми от четенето ѝ, бяха някои от действията на героите в нея. Но като цяло, ако си търсите бързо четиво от YA contemporary жанра, няма да сгрешите, ако заложите на "Романтиците".
Kayla
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This book seemed like it was going to be so interesting because it has a unique narrator--Love. Love goes on to explain the different types of people there are out there, including romantics like main character Gael. Love explains that she can't be in all places at once and, sometimes, when she's distracted by putting one couple together, another will fall apart and get divorced. That's what happens to Gael's parents and he's in so much pain after their separation that he wants to throw himself ...more
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
*I received an eArc of this book from the publishers through Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Full detailed Review on my blog: Word Wonders

Who could resist a love story told by Love herself? You would? All I know, is that I for one, can’t. And if you love contemporary as much as I do, I know you won’t be able either. I was so curious and excited to read this one when I got my hands on it. It sounded so light and quirky and it really was. But even though I enjoyed it and it made me l
Zainab Sheikh
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of the book from the Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

It's been a long time since I finished a book in less than 24 hours but I finished this book in less than a day... and I also sacrificed my sleep for it.

This book is a cute, fun, and light read. I absolutely adore this book and I enjoyed it a lot.

So this book is narrated by Love and our "lovely" narrator narrates us the story of Gael - a senior at High School - who is at the worst time of his life. Hi
Cristina (My Tiny Obsessions)
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read full review HERE

description

Well, this was unexpectedly fun… The writing of this book might me my favorite thing about it! The book’s narrator is LOVE, yeah, you read that right… LOVE. Love is telling a story mostly about Gael, but also about a few other people, and it keeps making these side comments that are the most hilarious things. I loved it.

I actually loved the story as well, because timing is everything, and there are so many kinds of love, even of the romantic kind, and we are all different an
Erin
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Here is a summary of what the book is about. Perfect for fans of Lauren Myracle and Rainbow Rowell, The Romantics will charm readers of all ages. Gael Brennan is about to have his heart broken when his first big relationship crumbles on the heels of his parents' painful separation.

Love intervenes with the intention of setting things right- but she doesn't anticipate the intrusion of her dreaded nemesis: the Rebound. Love's plans for Gael are sidetracked by Cara, Gael's hot- sauce- wielding " dre
Leigh Kramer
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I fully expected to enjoy this YA novel more than I did. It never quite grabbed my attention and then the plot went down some predictable paths but the ending was what really killed it for me. (view spoiler)

However, I must say it was interesting for Love (yes, Love) to be the narrator and I really liked the descriptions of people's relationship style (i.e. The Romantic.)
Mara
(SHORT DISCLAIMER: I received a free ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)

This book was so cute! It kind of reminded me of My Lady Jane, but without the fantasy elements and more of the romance and contemproary ones. Oh and the ending gave me The Unexpected Everything feels, too! Gah, this book was just too amusing. Love's narrative made it even better too.

Full review to come!

---
+ BLOG: YA book reviews & other bookish stuff
+ TWITTER: Been fangirling about books
Irena Freitas
Mar 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Esse livro só é remotamente interessante se você é um menino de 15 anos que mede o valor das pessoas ao seu redor por que filmes elas assistem, seu nome é Dawson e é protagonista da série Dawson's Creek.

P.S.: diferente de Dawson's Creek esse livro não inclui Pacey, ou seja, é uma completa perda de tempo.
Erin
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-ya
I want to thank my friend Valerie for going to Library Conventions & bringing back boxes of books for me to read. The Romantics was a fun easy read. I gave it 5 stars not because it was the best book ever written but because I enjoyed it so much. I recommend all my GR friends add to their TBR list & in November when it comes out immediately go out & get it.
Celeste_pewter
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finished with a happy grin on my face. It's a simple story, but a fun one. You'll delight in the time you spend with Love.
Wendy F
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Okay, I just reread the blurb and I so didn’t read Love as a girl. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the book never specifies Love’s sex which was good since Love doesn’t have a gender! Leah Konen, why is Love a girl? If I’m being honest, I actually read Love’s narration as a disembodied voice that probably leaned toward male-ish tones. Now the blurb says Love is a she, so is it horrible how I’m slightly turned off by that? Love was written as the first person narrator, was there was ...more
Inah (The Bibliophile Confessions)
It’s true that this book will charm readers of all ages. And this book got me out of my reading slump. From the first chapter, I got hooked already because of the wit and sass of the narrator.

See, this book is about love and is narrated by Love itself so it got really funny and quirky, yet serious at the same time which is why I loved it so much.

Gael Brennan is a total romantic. I think readers can pick it up early on and I really found it adorable. Romantics are my kind of people because I am o
cyborgcinderella
Mar 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Truthfully there really wasn't much I actually liked about this book. I was very disappointed because it sounded really cool, but it just didn't pan out.

For starters, I didn't really like the narrator. The premise of Love being the narrator was great, but the execution was poor. I found Love to be super condescending and annoying. They (since there's no real gender depicted, I'm just gonna use they) would make these statements about all the different kinds of people there were when it came to l
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
"I'm asking you to forget everything you know about True Love. The real kind doesn't make you selfish and shortsighted. Real love makes you better than you ever knew you could be."

"Lots of people go after the wrong person. Lots of people get second or third or fourth or fifteenth chances at the real deal."

"But that's the point! Sometimes the right people are always getting the timing wrong."

"There are leaps of faith. Leaps into the great unknown. But you are certainly not supposed to "leap" when
Abantika(hiltonjenkin)
Actual rating: 4.5

'Romantics' is a love story told by love himself. It is an adorable rom-com with too much quirk. Though a predictable plot but still a heart warming and lit read to have spent reading this Valentine's eve.
ضحى الحداد
I loved the premise of this book and "LOVE" seemed like a quirky character and I liked her thinking :)
the story itself is pretty basic and nice but it was enjoyable nonetheless .. prefect for a light read :)
fatin (booksforahufflepuff)
3.5 stars! this book was just too adorable and full of fluff it makes my heart warm and fuzzy :,) rtc
Eli
The Romantics almost felt like a middle-grade novel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It had a cute romance, a bunch of ups and downs, a kid dealing with the fallout of his parents' divorce, and first loves. It had an immature hero and lots of character growth.

I think what I loved most about the story was the unique POV. The Romantics is narrated by Love herself, and her voice is witty, funny at times, and ever-reaching. I loved her voice as a character and the extra input she was able to gi
Young Adult Conte...: #13 The Romantics by Leah Konen 2 13 Apr 07, 2017 12:13PM
  • Beyond Clueless
  • The Ship to Nowhere: On Board the Exodus
  • Stranger
  • Tutti's Promise
  • The Best Possible Answer
  • The Devil's Banshee (The Devil's, #3)
  • The Snow Angel
  • Feminist Baby
  • Hideous
  • Boy Meets Hamster
  • Beauty
  • Other Breakable Things
  • V for Violet
  • Black Cats and Butlers (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates, #1)
  • The Eye of the North
  • Undue Influence: A Persuasion Retelling
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Hortense and the Shadow
Leah Konen is a graduate of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she studied journalism and creative writing. She’s the author of the forthcoming HAPPY MESSY SCARY LOVE, LOVE AND OTHER TRAIN WRECKS, THE ROMANTICS, THE LAST TIME WE WERE US and THE AFTER GIRLS. She lives in Brooklyn and Saugerties, NY, with her husband and their dog, Farley.
“I'm asking you to forget everything you know about True Love. The real kind doesn't make you selfish and shortsighted. Real love makes you better than you ever knew you could be.” 12 likes
“You could love someone, you could pick the right person, you could give your life to them, and you could. Still. Get. Hurt.” 9 likes