Start by marking “Static Mayhem (Mayhem Wave, #2)” as Want to Read:
Static Mayhem (Mayhem Wave, #2)

Static Mayhem

(Mayhem Wave #2)

A year after the world was thrown into magical chaos, Harrison Cody takes part in an expedition to learn the cause. What his team finds is an unfathomable enemy, who intends to finish what was started and wipe out every remaining survivor. Harrison is the key to stopping it, but doing so will come with an unbelievable sacrifice, one he might not be willing to make.
ebook
Published July 25th 2017 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published July 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Static Mayhem, please sign up.
Edward Aubry C.S.E. Cooney is fantastic! I'm so lucky to be working with her. Yes, there is an audio book on its way (and yes, she will narrate it), but that's all…moreC.S.E. Cooney is fantastic! I'm so lucky to be working with her. Yes, there is an audio book on its way (and yes, she will narrate it), but that's all I know at the moment. Hopefully it won't be too long of a wait. I am as eager to hear it as you are. Thanks for reading/listening!

[UPDATE: Both Static Mayhem and Mayhem's Children are now available as audiobooks!](less)
Edward Aubry Hi Marcie!

Hi Marcie!

Prelude to Mayhem is due to be released November 28. It is actually a revised and greatly expanded version of the first section of the original Static Mayhem, with a lot of added content about Dorothy's life before meeting Harrison, and a lot more details about their arrival in New Chicago.

A revised edition of Static Mayhem (minus that first section) comes out the following July. There is a little bit of new material in it (including an epilogue, as it happens), and the prose is a lot more polished, but it is otherwise the same story you just read.

Book three, Mayhem's Children, drops December, 2017.

And a fourth book, Mayhem's Reign, is tentatively scheduled for a May, 2018 release, although I am going to have to finish writing it first.

Thanks for reading! I hope the rest of the series is worth the wait!

Edward Aubry(less)

Eva
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a ride. This may well be one of the best books I read this year.

Static mayhem is a post-apocalyptic story with lots of fun, tears and suspense. I enjoyed every bit of it!

I constantly caught myself thinking "Ha, Aubry, gotcha, now you made a mistake and forgot to explain something!" only to be surprised a hundred pages later by an explanation. This was textbook storytelling! Wonderful and delightful, I had so much fun finding out that the author thought of every possible question the r
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Through a dystopia world riff with fae creatures and future tech Harrison Cody made his way to the city of Chicago. There he joins a secret expedition whose mission is to search out the cause of the magical chaos and... reverse it. With his pixie Glimmer in tow, Harrison and his team uncovers a plot set in motion by a great evil. Will he be able to make the sacrifice needed to stop it?

I was super excited to learn about this sequel and to get my hands on a copy!! I was a mega-fan of the fusion wo
Diana
Jun 20, 2017 added it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
I LOVED the first book. All the clash between magic and some humans with powers, the "end of the world" line changed to a reboot of the world... I was awaiting for the reedition of the second one... more Mayhem! But at +60% I decided to stop reading.
The book goes on the same route of the previous one ending: Harry is now with a "family" of sorts made of survivors and they wanna fix the world. They make interesting discoveries of how it come to be this way. They met new people, even Titania! But
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)
Excerpt from my review - originally published at Offbeat YA.

Pros: As in Book 1, quirky and audacious blend of post-apocalypse, technology and magic. Characters who are easy to empathise with.
Cons: The blend I mentioned might not work for everyone - and it's even more audacious here than in the first installment. Some of the many twists may sound confusing. A relationship from Book 1 threatens to take a strange and unsettling turn.
WARNING! There's talk of sex and a few F-bombs.
Will appeal to: Th
Leslie
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was on my "To Read" list for a couple of years, waiting for me to be in the right mood for it. I finally grabbed it and got sucked into the story right away. Harrison is alone since the thing, whatever it was, happened and everything changed. Imagine being in your car in traffic and the cars around you poof out of existence, your car goes too. All of the people cease to exist, buildings are gone, trees appear where they never were before and there is nobody else left. I read to find ou ...more
Phil
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Static Mayhem is a post-apocalyptic novel that breaks from the genre in a fresh way. The story starts out in a world almost totally devoid of people. Some strange event on May 25th caused almost everyone in the world to disappear, buildings to crumble, and the landscape to reorder itself. Harrison Cody was driving home from work when this happened and for some bizarre reason he survived and spends his days cruising the highways of New England, looking for other survivors.

Even though society is w
Marcie
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy and sci fi lovers or fans of piers anothony novels
A surreal, bizarre journey full of heart and beauty. Much of this story took me back to my childhood when all my favorite books were full of future machines, faeries, dragons, special powers, good vs. evil, ultimate sacrifice, and crazy turn of events. This had it all, complete with magic food trees, but written for adults instead of children. I enjoyed every minute of this well thought-out book. My only sadness was when it ended before I was ready and I turned the page to find no epilogue to ke ...more
Geoff Strayer
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the sequel to Prelude To Mayhem, and while some things in the world have changed, my mental block that insists that 'mayhem' is spelled 'meyham' persists. I blame the [spoiler] that broke the world. Neener.

Really, though, this is a good follow-up to 'Prelude'. It expands the world without making things complicated, adds layers without going too far overboard, and generally is a good addition to the canon. Characters develop nicely, and we get a lot more background on what happened and wh
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
While reading this book, I was giving it a solid 3 stars, by the time I was finished, I had bumped it up to 4. What bumped it up, was the fact that I wanted the next book right away. Static Mayhem ended with questions up in the air. As annoying as some people find it, I like having lingering questions when it comes to a series. I now have the chance to see if I can come up with an answer in my head, before I read what happens. It lets a reader's imagination run wild.

Harrison joins a group from N
Jen
To see my full review of this title, visit my book blog, So Few Books, at: https://sofewbooks.blogspot.com/2017/...!

...After reading the first volume in the Mayhem Wave series (Prelude to Mayhem), and thoroughly enjoying it, I had serious doubts as to whether the sequel could live up to the benchmark that was set previously. But it did so and then some!

...this [book] pretty much just follows the exploits of Harrison and those in his immediate vicinity... at least Glimmer was once again along fo
Leticia
After reading “Prelude to Mayhem”, I couldn’t wait to delve back into New Chicago, to see where Dorothy, Mitchell, Harrison and especially Glimmer are in their adventure of finding each other, and settling into their new roles.

However, this story had less of Dorothy’s point of view and it focused more on Harrison and Glimmer, and this new adventure that they take with the New Chicago team.

Harrison, while kind-hearted and well-meaning, he is a little bit clueless. Although he tends to be really a
Mary Bernsen
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
As much as I loved Prelude to Mayhem, I was super excited to read Static Mayhem. The same exciting entanglement of time grabbed at my attention, only this time Aubry dug into the magic aspect a lot more, which was a perfect angle to tackle this story-line with. Harrison's character developed quite a bit in this book, as did his relationship with Glimmer. Their dynamic is incredibly perplexing and fun - and Glimmer's spunky personality is exactly what I would imagine from a pixie. There were par ...more
Polly Krize
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

As the 2nd installment in the Mayhem Wave series, book 2 follows the 1st book well. This apocalyptic tale, with more character development, especially in the case of our hero, Harrison Cody, accompanied by his pixie, Glimmer, works to find out the cause of the magical chaos enveloping the world. Waiting for the 3rd installment.....
Gene
Damn, this is a fun series. Can't wait to hit the next one!
Amy Bearce
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Prelude to Mayhem and am happy to report that I also very much enjoyed Static Mayhem. In this updated version (2017), readers follow Harrison as he and the new country struggles to find its way in a post- apocalyptic world. The kinds of problems they face are believable, which I appreciated. This may be science fiction/fantasy/dystopian, but the humans are still very much human, making the same kind of awful choices humans sometimes do. Of course, there aren’t just humans in this world, ...more
Phil
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Even though society is w
Patricia
It's not that I don't think this is a good book, I think it is. But I found it too long to hold my interest in the plot, so I stopped reading about halfway through. I don't even know what exactly it was that made me stop reading, maybe just because I have so many books I want to read that I am impatient about reading anything that doesn't keep me riveted or something. Or it could be that the combination of sci fi and fantasy magic that sometimes got downright silly doesn't work well for me. I'm ...more
Darian
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the book so far.It is cool for me to read this book because I know the author. His daughters went to the same school as I did. I can't wait until the second book comes out and then the third and the fourth if there even will be a third and fourth!!!!
Rosemary
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This kind of fantasy/science fiction appeals to me on lots of levels. Loved the characters and the journey across the country as we get introduced to them. Didn't know what to expect when they arrived at their destination. The action picked up even more and satisfying ending.
Robert Fallows
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Unbelievable book by one of my new favorite authors. This was such an amazing read, I can only hope for some kind of continuation but even the way it wrapped up was perfect. Absolutely fantastic book!
Vince
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the premise of humor in a post-apocalyptic setting. This is on my wish list of Christmas presents!

27 May 2015 update:

I have to agree with the other commenters, the ending was quite satisfying
Aura
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. More, please.
Alana
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My brother in law got this as a birthday present for me. "It's a post-apocalyptic thing with fairies." Very well chosen :)
Fabio Hasseck
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book, it is written beautifully and everything in it felt completaly real.
But I did felt sorry for Glimmer at the end.
Lisa Toppin
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: share-books
Static Mayhem was a unique, but uneven vision of a distopian future. I'll read more by this author.
Renae
Sep 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Terrible. Couldn't even finish it.
Yttermayn
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it, this authors first book is a solid read with characters you can really sympathize with. Post apocalyptic in a completely non-clichéd way.
Donth
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Outs
  • Deadgirl: Ghostlight
  • Alone
  • Sentinel (Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Solstice
  • Cages (Cages, #1)
  • Windows into Hell (Curiosity Quills Anthology)
  • Black Knight (Witch World, #2)
  • Child of Nod (The Balance #1)
  • My Beginning
  • The Last Man on Earth
  • Archon's Queen (The Awakened, #2)
  • Soundtrack to the End of the World
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • Just a Pilgrim
  • After the Flood
  • The Day After Judgment (After Such Knowledge, #3)
  • Therefore, Repent!
Edward Aubry is a graduate of Wesleyan University, with a degree in music composition. Improbably, this preceded a career as a teacher of high school mathematics and creative writing. He now lives in rural Pennsylvania with his wife and three spectacular daughters, where he fills his non-teaching hours spinning tales of time-travel, wise-cracking pixies, and an assortment of other impossible thing ...more

Mayhem Wave (5 books)
  • Prelude to Mayhem (Mayhem Wave, #1)
  • Mayhem’s Children (Mayhem Wave, #3)
  • Balance of Mayhem (Mayhem Wave, #4)
  • Mayhem's Reign (Mayhem Wave, #5)