Start by marking “Gifted (The Hayven Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Gifted (The Hayven Series #1)

Gifted

(The Hayven #1)

There is no chosen one in this story.

Avery Gray was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and happened to make a decision that altered her future forever. It happens to all of us every day.

Avery is a size twelve university student with a penchant for dry humour, and she’s as normal as they come. Up until now, the biggest choice she’s had to make was glasses or cont
Published April 13th 2016 (first published May 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Gifted, please sign up.
J.A. George Hello Lana!

Hello Lana!

I've recently published a second edition of Gifted Book 1 and so I'm afraid book 2 won't be available for some time. My second edition is considerably different from the first. If you have time to read it, I'd love to know what you think of the changes!

J.A. George(less)

Start your review of Gifted (The Hayven Series #1)
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Review originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction (book blog): https://afrolicthroughfiction.wordpre...

*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review*

Now, I’m going to be frank – yes this does sound like a stereotypical fantasy story where the main character suddenly discovers they’re not like everyone else and BOOM the journey begins.

But I’m also going to be honest (as always) – I love those sort of stories. I don’t care how many times it’s been done, if I can read another
Kristy
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, indie-author
description

DNF at 130 pages.

I've been putting of this review for so long. woops

This story started off so strong, but then everything just fell.. flat.

I was really excited to read this because the whole concept sounded so amazing!

A ordinary university student is gifted with an extraordinary ability, and discovers a whole world existing beside our own that's only accessible to others like her. With this Gift, she is expected to protect this world from those who want to take over.

Caught in a freak storm, Ave
Elaine
I didn’t want to put this book down - and I really need the next three books in this series asap, I want to know what happens! It was a riveting read with great characters, beautiful descriptive writing and a superb good v evil battle to be fought! It was easy to relate to the characters, especially the heroine, nineteen year old college student, Avery Gray (aka Ava).

One stormy afternoon, Ava was going to meet up with her best friend. She could feel someone watching her but only caught an indefi
Adventures of Nikka
I feel bad for people who didn't give this a chance and DNF-ed. Review soon! ...more
Jillian Quinn
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Last week, I received a copy of GIFTED from the author in exchange for an honest review. I was in a major slump before I read this novel, and I’m so glad J.A. George gave me the opportunity to read such a unique story. The magical world of Hayven and the humans with supernatural powers is a concept that I can relate to as a YA fantasy writer. And once I opened the book, I found it hard to peel my fingers from the iPad because I had to know more about Hayven and how this world worked.

First, I wan
Mikayla Gray
I was given a free copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

The story starts off well, after taking a shortcut home, ordinary girl Avery stumbles upon a dying old woman and learns that she is "Gifted"; someone with a magic power and the ability to flit between the real world and the magical world of Hayven. In Avery's case, her gift is the ability to read minds, as well as the ability given to her by the dying woman of being able to see the future. The opening is intrigui
Caron
★||Actual Rating: 3.5 stars||★

I received this ebook from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book starts out with a bit of mystery. Avery- who prefers to be called Ava- ended up having what you’d think of as a day filled with the worst luck ever. She witnesses someone die in a bookstore and while freaked, she can’t help but be curious because of the cryptic words the woman said before she passed. All this kickstarts some weird events and all roads lead to Hayven.

I was interested in
Dee☾
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book originally posted on The Bookish Khaleesi

*The author graciously Gifted me a copy of this novel in exchange of an honest review. This is no way affected my opinions.*
This book reminded me of X-Men mixed with Shatter Me. It's not your typical YA Paranormal, it's more Contemporary and I loved it for this reason alone. It's easy to get into, flows nicely, and very entertaining.

The story follows our MC, Avery Gray, but you must call her Ava. After an unexpected event happens in her life,
Morgan
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Full Review can be found at http://thegraduatedbookworm.blogspot.ca

First let me say thank you to J.A. George for sending me a copy of Gifted for an honest review. Let me also say that this was definitely hard to rate.

So starting off with the book, I found it to be kind of slow. There was a lot of description within the first couple hundred pages that almost didn't need to be added in there, that I found it hard at times to continue reading. (but I am so glad that I did!) There were of course cer
Amy (Read.Dream.Live)
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

I am going to start with saying that I did receive this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. The fact I got it free will not influence my review in any way.

As a lover of Paranormal/Fantasy this book was definitely right up my alley. I loved that everyone had their own individual power and that no two people were the same. The powers threw me back to my teenage days when I used to spend hours watching Charmed. Another unique part of the magical aspect of this book was that every
Fatima
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Gifted is the first book in the four-part Hayven Series

Avery Gray is a size 12 university student who hasn’t had to make any major decisions. Until now. When Avery walks into Hayven Books one rainy afternoon, this is the start of her journey. The world is no longer as Avery once knew it. A series of events leave Ava with a gift; an extraordinary gift allowing her access to the city of Hayven. Ava is astonished to find another world so unlike her own, and she meets an eclectic bunch of ‘Gifted’
J C Steel
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gifted is an intriguing read, and Avery's first-person storytelling will entice you into her life at a British university, complete with friends with bad taste in nightclubs and the cliques endemic to the lifestyle. The plausibility of J A George's characters makes the contrast with Avery's other life all the more compelling, as Avery's chance encounter with one of the secretive 'gifted' people submerges her willy-nillly in a hidden world of telepathy and fire-raisers, bringing its own dangers a ...more
abigail
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 24%I kept reading because I saw potential. I truly did. The writing, if not beautiful, serves its purpose, and George's imagination of Hayven is absolutely stunning! But 1/4 of the way in, and I couldn't give less of a shit about any of the characters. Plus, more insta-love? Really? Does the sappy, "his-face-is-so-beautiful", "I-was-just-immediately-attracted-to-him" stuff ever stop? A good, believable insta-love, I adore. But do insta-love badly, and my eyeballs start rolling out of my s ...more
Bookmafia
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

Age: 16+ ( really, the content is mild in nature the age is based off the complexity of writing and the maturity of certain portions of the story.)

Recommendation: Yes. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a creative spin on fantasy that does not contain insta-love and centers around a truly average heroine.

Type: Series, this is book one of The Hayven Series.

Summary: +a heroine that is easy to relate to +a whisper of love to come + frightening antagonist +r
Tina Soetzenberg
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was not what I expected, thankfully separating itself from the usual Young Adult fantasy books I’m used to reading. It has the illusion of something typical and yet it had something different within like a relatable lead and a wonderful story of friendship. Avery is not what one expects from a college student in books but exactly what we expect from a real life 19-year-old stumbling through life. All of this made for an easy and entertaining read.

DESCRIPTION – There is no chosen one in
ash lloyd spanton
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on citygirlscapes.com.

With a title like Gifted, it’s easy to make a lot of assumptions about the premise of the book and tap into everything I’ve read about people with gifts or special powers. But the synopsis here made it sound like this would be a unique and imaginative story and I was really intrigued when J.A. George offered me a copy of her book for review. I love it when books don’t disappoint. Nothing about this was misleading, if anything, the synopsis doesn’t give the
czai
this review is also posted at: the Blacksheep Project. I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

* * *

I have no idea how to go around this book. It's wasn't bad. Yet it wasn't stellar.

{ 5 Reasons why Gifted is an 'okay' read for me }

the pace.
I don't know. At the beginning it was slow. Okay, the first chapter was intriguing but after that, it felt that things started laying low. It was not until 20% of the book that Hayven was finally introduced then I was bombarded w
Flavia
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was very excited when J.A. George approached me and asked if I would like to read and review her novel! The cover is what caught my eye first. The simple black background adorned with the varying coloured petals is very aesthetically pleasing, and it made me want to know more about the book. And more specifically, I wanted to know what the coloured petals signify!

I HAPPILY AGREED TO READ AND REVIEW GIFTED, AND IT HAS BEEN A JOY FROM THE VERY FIRST PAGE!

I'd like to mention that, the main charac
AmandaEmma
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, fantasy, ya, 2016
I received a physical review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way swayed my opinion.

Gifted is a book I've been putting off for a while because I wasn't really in the mood for it. I decided to pick it up nonetheless since I'd promised the author to read and review it in July so here we are! I really enjoyed the book though and I devoured, yes devoured, it, in a matter of a few hours.

In Gifted we meet Avery Gray, or Ava, and she just happens to be in the wrong
Eustacia Tan
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, bumping up to 4

I finished the book, and then I realised what it reminded me of - The Incredibles and Sky High. Maybe more Sky High than incredibles. Anyway, as the two movies should have clued you in, Gifted is about a bunch of kids with superpowers who have to save their world.

Ava was perfectly ordinary until she came across a dying woman. Before the lady died though, she gave Ava a cryptic message and passed a Gift to her. And just like that, Ava becomes gifted. With her new abilit
Claire
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Read the full review on my blog

I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded interesting, and parts of it were very original and unique. Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed overall.

I'll start with the basics. There were multiple spelling and grammar errors, and while they didn't necessarily take away from the story, I definitely noticed them and it made it a bit of a choppy read. The pacing also wasn't great. The first half of the book felt much too long, and then the end felt rushed.
Beth Jones
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I have been provided with a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Synopsis: There is no chosen one in this story.
Avery is a size twelve university student with a penchant for dry humour, and she's as normal as they come. One rainy afternoon, Avery had to make a choice: go through the alleyway or around
Nicole
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Firstly, a very big thank you to J.A. George, who was kind enough to send me a copy of Gifted to review!

Gifted was a great book with upbeat, fun and realistic characters and an interesting plot that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The first thing that hit me, from the very first page of Gifted, was the powerful sense of atmosphere. The glum and rainy day, the way it was described, really set the tone for the first chapter and made it engaging and interesting, something that carried on throughout the novel.
Courtney Ashton Pletcher
One rainy afternoon, college student Avery, a seemingly normal person, decided to do something not so normal and go through an alleyway instead of around it. When she stumbles upon a mysterious murder in a curious bookshop, her life changes forever.

With the guidance of an enigmatic young man named Theodore-James Connors, Avery learns of a hidden city named Hayven that only “Gifted” individuals can travel to. While Avery explores the magical city and her own gifts, she gains a new circle of diver
Nick Rossi
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the same vein of The Hunger Games and The Divergent Series, J.A. George’s “Gifted” contains the central theme of a strong female character who has unbearable demands on her shoulders. The female hero in “Gifted” is Avery Gray, an inquisitive being who has been chosen for a unique kind of eminence, despite the fact that her young mind may not be able to see that being different is indeed what makes us great.

As the title alludes to, Ava is gifted, and as such, is sent to live in a lone city whe
Carrianne
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, arcs, read-2016
4.5 Stars

If I’m completely honest, I enjoyed this book much more than I was anticipating and I’m absolutely thrilled. For those of you who have been following my blog for a while, you’d know that I have been in and out of a slump since late February/March. I’ve read a handful of books that I’ve really enjoyed, but so far most of what I’ve read this year has hit the mark.

Thankfully, Gifted hit the nail right on the head and has definitely helped to pull me out of my slump. I really liked Ava, and
Chantel (The Mommy Bookworm)
Copy provided by author.

What can I say? I was not expecting this book to turn out the way it did! Jessica George had me hooked on Gifted from the very first sentence to the last. I was constantly hungry for more, and having just finished this book, I will say I'm still quite hungry.

Gifted follows Ava Gray and a group of friends she meets through some interesting events. Ava is immediately thrown into a whole new world when she is walking to meet a friend and ends up finding Sidra Calix dying i
Dana Lowe
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come on admit it deep down we've all dreamed of having some sort of special gift that is considered “paranormal” at some point in our lives, possibly still do. Some of us, maybe do have these gifts, or at least believe we have these gifts. “Gifted” helps us believe that it is still real, and how it feels to discover the potential, both the good and the bad that can come from having these special gifts.

Ava is an adorable “average” nineteen year old girl, off to college, experiencing life on her
Deborah
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review also posted on; Hills of Books

I received a e-copy of this book from the author in exchange for a honest review, this has not effected my review in any way.

One of the first things I noticed when I started to read this book was the descriptive style of writing. This detailed description is most prominent in the first few chapters but as the characters return to familiar places these long descriptions become less frequent.

At the start of the book everything is a bit confusing and for the fi
Elise Luquette
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Review originally posted http://thebookforums.blogspot.com/201...

First, I would like to thank Jessica George for giving me the chance to read Gifted. Gifted is an book with good ideas that I would not have checked out otherwise and; overall, it was okay…

My main problem with Gifted is that the plot is made of two stories that feel they are both fighting for attention. There is the plot about Avery, her friends, and their relationships; and the plot about Madrina returning to take over Hayven. On
Does anyone know where or how I can read Gifted by J. A. George? 1 1 Jun 05, 2018 02:10AM
Advanced Copies f...: Book reviewers wanted!! 19 205 May 31, 2016 01:30AM
Advanced Copies f...: Book reviewers wanted!! 3 56 Apr 23, 2016 11:33AM
Readers That Love...: FREE E-BOOK! TODAY ONLY 1 9 Apr 20, 2016 12:21AM
Readers That Love...: FREE E-BOOK! TODAY ONLY 1 6 Apr 20, 2016 12:21AM
Readers That Love...: FREE E-BOOK! TODAY ONLY 1 6 Apr 20, 2016 12:20AM
Readers That Love...: Kindle Unlimited 1 4 Apr 20, 2016 12:19AM
J.A. George is the author of the four-part series, GIFTED: THE HAYVEN SERIES. Jessica spent years of her life reading book after book before sitting on her bed one morning, opening her laptop and typing Chapter One into her word document. Now, not only does she read book after book, she now writes book after book too. When she's not writing, she's trying to break her record of finishing a tub of O ...more

News & Interviews

“One thing I can say for sure is that she was very clever. Not in the way others expect you to be – intelligent, witty and concise, but in the way people should be: creative and consistent.” 1 likes
“Worrying about something you can change is necessary, but worrying about the inevitable is a waste of time.” 0 likes