Start by marking “Two Nights” as Want to Read:
Two Nights

Two Nights

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  7,359 ratings  ·  1,219 reviews
Meet Sunday Night, a woman with physical and psychological scars, and a killer instinct...

Sunnie has spent years running from her past, burying secrets and building a life in which she needs no one and feels nothing. But a girl has gone missing, lost in the chaos of a bomb explosion, and the family needs Sunnie's help.

Is the girl dead? Did someone take her? If she is out
Published July 11th 2017 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Two Nights, please sign up.
Linda Sinclair At least Sunday Night is only a name in a book, Nicole Kidman's daughter has to live with Sunday Rose as her name which sounds like Sunday Roast.
Christine I'm listening to an interview with Kathy Reichs on BBC Radio 2 as I type this and she just said that she's currently writing another Tempe B. book,…moreI'm listening to an interview with Kathy Reichs on BBC Radio 2 as I type this and she just said that she's currently writing another Tempe B. book, due out next(?) year 😃(less)

·  7,359 ratings  ·  1,219 reviews

Kaceey - Traveling Sister
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I’ve been reading books by Kathy Reichs’ for years. I love her Temperance Brennan series. When I saw she had a stand-alone novel coming out I was very excited to get it. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me. (I may be in the minority on this one).

Sunday Night (the main Character's name-not the day of the week) was once a highly decorated police officer now a self-imposed recluse.
She retired from the police department following an altercation that left a man dead and Sunday with a permanent
Paromjit
This is a standalone novel from Kathy Reichs and it could not be more different from her usual fare. Sunday 'Sunnie' Night PI has a chequered career and a traumatic past she is haunted by and low self esteem. She is ex-military serving in Afghanistan and an ex-cop who quit because she couldn't bear the idea of a desk job after an incident that left her with a disability - one eye and scarring. She is living the life of a reclusive hermit on Goat Island, just off the coast of South Carolina. In t ...more
Diane S ☔
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sunday Night, (and yes there are many bad puns I could make since I am writing this on Sunday morning) has had a horrific childhood, been in the military and was for a time a policewoman. Now she lives alone on Goat Island, one of her only contacts her somewhat adopted father, Beau. When he presents her with a case that includes a bombing and a missing teenage girl, despite herself Sunny is intrigued enough to investigate the case.

Takes her to Chicago, and as always when the story partly takes
Matt
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Kathy Reichs, and Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Kathy Reichs is back with another thriller, though it is not of the forensic variety. Sunday "Sunnie" Night lives an isolated life after leaving the Charleston PD under a cloud of scrutiny. She is happy being off the grid and living alongside nature. When she is approached with a chance to get ba
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT:

My right-hand neighbor thinks I’m crazy, so she brings me cheese.

I heard the one-two crunch of her boots on the path. A pause, then the oyster shells crunched again.

I lifted a corner of the towel covering my kitchen window. She was already five yards off, a shadow-laced smudge among the live oaks.

Six years, and I still didn’t know her name. Didn’t want to. Had no desire to exchange recipes or comments on the tides.

I cracked the door, snagged the plastic-wrapped package, and shoved it in
Mackey
I have read nearly all of Kathy Reichs' previous books featuring Temperence Brennan. I knew going into Two Nightsthat it was going to very different and I was prepared for that. This is the story of Sunday Night, a hard hitting, wise cracking, smart ass southern woman who is both former military and former cop. She has had a hard life and she makes sure that everyone she meets knows it. Halfway through the book we also are introduced to her twin brother, Gus, a saving grace for the book.
Night i
Carrie
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Sunday Night has cut herself off from everyone hiding off by herself with her physical and psychological scars haunting her. But when she is contacted to help and offered quite a bit of money to find a girl that has gone missing after the chaos of a bomb she decides to take the case.

Sunnie finds herself traveling and following the clues to help her solve the questions still being asked of whether the girl was dead or was she taken? During her time Sunnie will need to face her own demons that ha
Zoe
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

Fast-paced, mysterious, and entertaining!

This is a suspenseful thriller that reminds us that terrorism can often be homegrown and emphasizes just how dangerous anger, hatred, and religious fanaticism can truly be.

The writing is clear and precise. The main character, Sunday Night, is tough, intelligent, and determined, and the supporting characters are an intriguing mix of ruthless, persistent zealots, and a charming, dependable brother.

I have to say that die-hard fans of the Temperance
Maureen Carden
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two Nights is a standalone from Kathy Reichs who is known for her Temperance Brennan forensic mysteries. Two Nights is faster paced than Reichs' series. Hopefully now I will quit with the comparisons. Especially since I got bored with Brennan and it might take me awhile to get bored with Sunday Night. Oops, I did it again.
Sunday is a recluse living on a thinly inhabited island off the coast of Charleston, South Carolina. She is making a life for herself dealing with her physical and psychologica
Jean
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
“Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.” Alfred Lord Tennyson

Sunday Night, known as Sunnie to her few friends, has garnered knowledge aplenty from her years of experience in the military and police force. Wisdom? Perhaps. All we really learn of Ms. Night early on in Kathy Reichs’ standalone PI thriller, Two Nights, is that she has a checkered past. She’s ex-military and an ex-cop with Charleston PD, having given up the latter job after shooting a suspect and suffering an injury herself. Rather
Brenda
Sunday Night lived a quiet life with her demons on the isolated island which connected to the mainland only by boat. She had no TV; read no newspapers. When her foster father and long-time friend Beau told her of someone needing her help, Sunnie’s first instinct was to refuse. But part of the story stirred long buried feelings; her dark past made a connection when she heard of the young girl who had been missing for a year – she felt the pull to find her…

With her discovery that the missing girl’
Carolyn
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sunday (Sunnie) Night is an ex marine, ex cop with a traumatic childhood who left the police after sustaining a major injury resulting in loss of vision in one eye. She's been licking her wounds on a small island off the coast of South Carolina until an old friend and father figure asks her to look into a cold case of a missing girl. Wealthy widow, Opaline Drucker lost her only daughter and grandson in a terrorist bombing but believes her granddaughter Stella escaped the blast but was abducted b ...more
Debra
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Sunday Night a.k.a. Sunnie has spent years building up the "walls" that surround her. She had a traumatic and troubled past -with psychical and mental scars to show for it. She is ex-Military and an ex-cop living a solitary life on an island off the coast of South Carolina until one day her foster father encourages her to take a cold case.

She is hired a woman to who lost her daughter and grandson in an explosion. Her grand-daughter is missing and she believes she has been kidnapped from the sce
Theresa Alan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this suspense novel, former cop Sunday Night is enlisted by a wealthy woman to see if her granddaughter is still alive. Sunnie is a likeable, tough woman who had an abusive childhood. Being adopted by a cop through her high school years couldn’t erase the damage that had been done, but Beau was the reason she enlisted in the Marines. After an unsuccessful stint in the military and then as a cop, she lives off the grid on a tiny island. Though she’s got a hard shell, she is funny in her way.

Su
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

Well, this was disappointing. When I saw that Kathy Reichs had written a stand alone novel, I knew that I wanted to read it. I have really enjoyed her books in the past and was looking forward to this book. This book never clicked for me and I found myself constantly setting the book aside. There were some parts of the book that I did enjoy and I never really considered not finishing it but it wasn't a story that did much for me.

I t
Emma
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sunday 'Sunnie' Night is a new and immediate favourite. She's tough, damaged, angry, and has a serious attitude that makes her very dangerous to anyone who dares go against her. While i've enjoyed Reichs' characters before, this creation is much more my kind of thing. Clever and capable, she works the evidence and gets shit done. We only learn part of her past and it's far from good, but I'm hoping this is deepened in more books to follow (this can't be just a standalone, it just can't). In orde ...more
Wendy
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Kathy Reichs "Temperance Brennan" series. "Two Nights" is a standalone novel that I found to be completely different from her forensic mysteries.

Ex-Cop Sunday Night is an aggressive, rough around the edges, scarred heroine. A wealthy woman hires Sunday to look for her teenage granddaughter who she believes was kidnapped by a cult. As things progress quickly Sunday enlists the help of her twin brother, Gus.

I thoroughly enjoyed the quick witted dialogue and back and forth banter between th
Gary
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy Kathy Reich's novels and especially the Temperance Brennan series so was really looking forward to this stand alone novel but for some reason I just failed to connect with it. I couldn't get to grips with the fast dialogue and for me this change in writing style didn't work. I have since other reviews and there appears to be a fair few people like me with the same opinion, I suppose we are all entitled to off days but hats off for trying.
Fortunately I have enjoyed enough Kathy Reich's no
Kristy
Sunday (Sunnie) Night has a pretty big chip on her shoulder and a dark past. Ex-military and a former cop, Sunnie is hired by Opaline Drucker, a wealthy older woman, to look into the bombing that killed her daughter and grandson and left her granddaughter, Stella, missing. The case has some strong parallels to Sunnie's past and despite her better judgement, she agrees help Opaline. Sunnie quickly finds herself in a web of danger and deceit--with little chance of escaping unharmed.

I must admit t
Elaine Tomasso
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for an advance copy of Two Nights which introduces ex army and police officer, Sunday "Sunniest " Night.

Sunnie is a bit of a mess with a troubled childhood, service in Afghanistan and a debilitating eye injury that ended her police career. She has locked herself away on Goat Island, off the coast of South Carolina, where she leads a solitary, almost hermit-like existence. Worried about her, her foster father arranges for her to mee
JanB
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars, rounded up

Sunday Night is a strange name for a protagonist but I liked her. She has a mysterious, traumatic past in her childhood and later took up a career in the military and law enforcement. When an incident that left one dead and Sunday physically scarred, she took disability instead of being forced to work behind a desk the rest of her career. She now lives off the grid as a recluse on an island off the coast of SC.

Sunday's foster father convinces her to take on a cold case. We
Kathi Defranc
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this new character by Kathy Reichs, Sunday Night. She is not a goody two-shoes at all, she is sarcastic and scarred, physically and mentally. She lived through a childhood at a Jones-town type camp, her mother among the ones who killed themselves after she and her brother escaped to go for help. She served in the army,was dis-honorably discharged, after which she was a cop, left that under bad circumstances and now lives on a small island by herself . I enjoy her quick wit,feel ...more
Elvan
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Refreshing read. I am thrilled to see Kathy Reichs step away from Temperance Brennan and give us a character who is rough around the edges, one with loads of baggage living the life of a recluse on Goat Island.

Sunnie Night is pulled out of her self-imposed isolation when her friend and foster dad Beau asks her to hunt down the people responsible for the death of a local dowager’s daughter and grandson and investigate the abduction of the old woman’s granddaughter. It has been over a year since
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Being a crime fiction fan, it is not easy to peruse any sort of crime shelf without seeing a book by Kathy Reichs. When I read the synopsis for Reichs’ newest standalone thriller, Two Nights, I knew that I would have to give this one a read. As soon as I started reading Two Nights, it became very clear why all of her books do well. Reichs can weave a serious story!

Two Nights opens with the introduction of Sunday Night. Sunday is a woman with a tumultuous past, a grudge on her shoulder and some
Liz Barnsley
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two Nights is a fast, furious and engaging read with some dark and currently relevant themes running through the narrative – I blasted my way through it in a few hours, totally gripping.

Very different from the norm for Ms Reichs, whose authentic forensic detail in her Temperance Brennan novels has held me in thrall for years – but the trademark quality writing is here, alongside her sharp and intelligent eye for building characters and making you care about them. Sunnie Night is divisive, intell
Skip
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Sunday Night is a recluse, living on a small island. One of Sunnie's few friends convinces her to meet a Southern scion, who wants temple bombers brought to justice and her granddaughter (Stella Knight) returned. With a troubled past of her own, Sunday decides to take the job given her skills as a soldier and ex-cop. She travels to Chicago and stirs up a hornet's nest, requiring her to bring in a trusted back-up. After several deadly interactions with the JJ zealots, Sunnie is able to figure out ...more
Stacee
I have read and enjoyed all of the Temperance books and I was excited at the idea of a stand alone with a new character.

Sunnie was a tough character to like. She's had quite a rough life and it's made her hardened and bitter. Of course that's understandable, but it also made her hard to root for. Gus was delightful and the banter between them added a bit of much needed levity.

Plot wise, it was an interesting set up and wanting to know how it played out is the only thing that kept me going. The
Sherry Fundin
I love Kathy Reichs and she has never let me down when it comes to a great read. She continues to keep me enthralled in Two Nights. I am eager to meet a new character, Sunday Night.

We begin on Goat Island, which is like Mackinac Island, but more rustic, consisting of shacks with no power or septic…the mosquitoes run rampant. It made me think of a visit to Chappaquiddick, where I thought they would carry me away.

I couldn’t help but chuckle when Gus is hiding things before letting Bean, the cop in
Darcia Helle
With Two Nights, Kathy Reichs takes a huge leap away from her beloved Temperance Brennan Series. Sunday Night's character is nothing like Temperance, and we are not immersed in forensics to solve a case. So if you're looking for 'new but the same', you'll probably be disappointed. Put expectations aside and you can't help but get swept up in this raw and edgy story.

Sunday Night is a total badass. She has the kind of emotional strength most of us can barely fathom. She's driven, independent, sarc
Jane Shambler
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow and OMG and Whoa. How else could I describe this book. It is engaging from the first to the last page. You seriously do not want to put it down because you are scared you will miss something. It is so well written you just want more. I know the book had to end but I did not want it too.

Reich's famous for her Temperance Brennan novels is now branching out into stand-alone novels. In style I might add. Reich introduces a character Sunday Night a former marine and cop. Yes she has issues but ta
  • Fire in the Stars (An Amanda Doucette Mystery #1)
  • Tumbled Graves (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Look (Alexandra Cooper #18)
  • Hidden (A Black Hat Thriller, #1)
  • Northwoods
  • K Street (Kay Hamilton, #3)
  • Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1)
  • Unpunished (Gardiner and Renner #2)
  • Every Second (Kate Page, #3)
  • Heart of the City (Detective Greene, #5)
  • Keller's Fedora
  • La muerte baja en el ascensor
  • Wild Storm (Derrick Storm, #5)
  • The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe, #15)
  • Overwatch
  • Ragged Lake (Frank Yakabuski, #1)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)
  • Southern League: A True Story of Baseball, Civil Rights, and the Deep South's Most Compelling Pennant Race
Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina, and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only fifty forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A ...more
“More caffeine and sugar and I’d be photo-bombing the Hubble.” 2 likes