Start by marking “Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice, Fifth Edition: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice, Fifth Edition” as Want to Read:

Build a thriving consultancy with the updated edition of this classic bestseller

Having inspired generations of consultants and entrepreneurs around the world, the “Rock Star of Consulting” Alan Weiss returns with a revised and completely updated edition of his authoritative guide to consulting success.

Weiss provides his time-tested model on creating a flourishing

Published April 27th 2016 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Million Dollar Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Million Dollar Consulting

Start your review of Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice, Fifth Edition: The Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice, Fifth Edition
Chad Warner
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consultants, service providers
Recommended to Chad by: Freelancers' Show
This is a handbook on being a high-income, professional consultant. It's a wealth of practical advice on high-end consulting, based on extensive first-hand experience. Weiss exudes professionalism and confidence. He's an unabashed contrarian, sharing alternatives to conventional wisdom. I didn't agree with everything he advocates, but overall I found it very informative.

I read this because my web design agency, OptimWise, provides consulting services. It was recommended on episode 192 of the
Joshua Giles
Never read an author that sucked his own dick so well (am I allowed to say that in a book review?) but seriously though if you can get past his persistent compliments to himself and him selling his own consulting company then there are some GREAT suggestions for anyone trying to open their own consulting company. Also the author claims he has written more books on consulting then anyone else (something like 50+) but I've read 3 of them: million dollar consulting, consulting bible, and million ...more
G.M. Burrow
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly helpful advice for the full-time consultant or the regular person who finds himself freelancing at random. My biggest takeaway is the importance of charging based on the value of the project, not the value of your time spent. However, while I agree it’s a good idea to consider your work’s value when establishing fees, I wouldn’t go nearly as far as Weiss does here. He is so insistent on wringing money out of people because “trust me, I’m worth it” that he forgets his primary goal ought ...more
Jason Cihelka
This book provides great insights on “how to think like a million dollar consultant”, however there’s a big flaw: it’s trying to provide basic advice to a target audience of established consultants with a strong brand, who can already justify large retainers.

If you’re just starting out and looking for actionable advice, this book isn’t for you. It’s just hard to imagine a brand new consultant with little to no experience charging $10k/month for their advice.’

There were large sections of the
Branimir
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the book which will turn you into a consultant all of a sudden (surprise, surprise). For what its worth, it would not even help you realize if you are good fit for this hat. Yet, what I like a lot is that it gives advices on being more self-aware and organized. This is one of the better business reads and I would recommend it to people who want to learn to be more confident and persistent.

Alan Weis creates a good overview of practices which allow people to better "sell" themselves.
Ryn
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants ownership of their professional contributions
Recommended to Ryn by: Annie Stevens
The SUBTITLE is really what this is about: How to own and grow a professional, independent practice
Not about million dollars, and not really about consulting.
More about value-based partnering/advising/listening.
Instead of feeling powerless about one's occupation, Weiss offers an insightful and actionable approach to owning one's own professional contributions and increasing their value.
Thank you, Annie Stevens (http://www.clearrock.com)
Caroline
I purchased and read this manual to assist me in developing marketing strategies for my new business lines (I'm a policy person, not a sales rep). It did provide some insights, but I didn't derive what I'd hoped to - the "silver bullet" to assist me in securing prospective clients. Than again, what should I have expected for $22.95?
Randolf Saint-Leger
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that I needed to read!

The enjoyment I get from helping companies reach their goals has always been part of my DNA. However, this book opened my eyes to the endless possibilities of being a consultant.
Farnoosh Brock
Eh. That is my quick reaction to this book. I'm a voracious reader and one of my apprentices recommended this book so highly that I took her up on it. I'm afraid it just didn't do it for me.

I listened to the audio version and kept an open mind. There are certainly some good ideas here which I have long since implemented in my business:

1. You're a professional so never charge by the hour, that's amateur, charge by value.
2. Work from your home office and keep your overhead expenses minimal.
Scott Wozniak
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I passed on reading this book a few times because it looked like one of the many books out there for absolute beginners. But this book turned out to be for those who have already gotten going as consultants. And it's full of tactical advice and ideas on positioning yourself with the clients. It's not useful to learn how to consult. But it had some great thoughts on how to market/position yourself.

Some examples:

He shows a continuum from hourly billing to project based to a retainer. The
Brian
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book was recommended to me by a friend as I started down the path of becoming a solo consultant. There's some useful advice in here. The two topics I found most useful are the proposal writing section, and the part about pricing based on value. The latter completely aligns with value-based selling techniques I've learned about elsewhere. I felt like the last third of the book dragged on and ran out of steam--but maybe that's just because of where I am in the process.

I wonder, as a brand new
Alejandro I Sanoja
If you are looking for resources and advice to build a successful consulting business, this is the book you need to read.

Alan breaks down the process and gives a detailed explanation on how to take care of the fundamentals of the consulting business. Everything from how to attract and close clients, how to deliver value, how to build meaningful relationships, creating proposals, and much more!

Some of my highlights:

"The heart of a proposal is the conceptual agreement on the objectives
Kevin
The topic was generously treated and the audio version certainly informed me early enough about its focus.

As an internal consultant for a large corporation I found some of the principles employed translatable to my context but the focus on monetizing seemed much heavier on me towards external consultants building a business personna than on metrics-gathering, documenting, and using reporting to justify the value of the influence, expertise, and counsel delivered.

If you're looking to start a
D
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One or two original ideas but most of the book is repetitive common sense anecdotes. The author even encourages you to copy his practice of using pithy sound bites (“fix your own oxygen mask before helping others”) to avoid coming up with anything original to say, complete with dictionary definitions on metaphors and similes.

In the most amusing section the author advises readers not to waste time with social media because he never managed to get it to work.

Despite being advertised as “the
Muhammed Umar
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consulting, business
Its a good book that details the planning right till the execution and sealing the deal of whatever project the consultant has. This is a must read book for any consultant/would-be consultant. There are some pretty useful tips mentioned in this book that is applicable even if you may not be a consultant. However, I strongly urge if you are not a consultant you may borrow this book and skim it through it to see if there any thing that this book may help to address in your endeavors.

Else due to
Bruno Rio
Million dollar consulting is "How To" enhance your consuktancy approach. It does not provide any guidance or methodologies in any kind of consultancy approach. For me it was a let down.

Nevertheless, it does quite deliver some very interesting and in handy tips. I'd consider it a 4 star book if it was shorter and more straight to the point. The author ends up talking a little bit too much of his own success a bit too much for my sake.
Dr Dinesh
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is well, like a textbook - and you can relate to it as a consultant with significant years of experience. And to that extent, I believe that I'd go back to it again, whenever I just wanted a checklist to see whether I am doing all the things right :)
A really good investment if you are getting into consultative selling.
Avi
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
An excellent book, practical on many levels. I will be keeping it close by to my desk. For those in management consulting, it is on the level of Patrick Lencioni's books, regarding what it says about the how what, and why of management work and dealing with the numerous aspects of running a boutique consulting firm.
Joe Devon
If you are already a rockstar consultant, a lot of the tricks Alan mentions are quite doable. The hard part is writing 60 books and becoming a world class world speaker. THEN you can demand high figures and talk to CEOs the way Alan does without being ridiculed. I'm just not so sure it's good advice for the average consultant.
Glen Leavens
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ask for more and get more.
Dorotea
Perhaps useful if you are a freelancer, but honestly I have no idea how I ended up reading this.
Connor
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The quality of advice was good. (Strongly Agree)
The author got to the point. (Undecided)
The advice was widely applicable. (Agree)
The advisory goal of the book was met. (Strongly Agree)
Thomas
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for consultants, greatly enjoyed this. Full of fantastic lessons for any freelance consultant (or any freelancer).
Christopher S. Hope
Excellent information.
Ciprian Dobre-Trifan
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
Motivational, confidence inducing, and action inspiring.
Clint Gilliam
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt it was a good book about the business of consulting, giving some great insights into running a solo consulting business.

However, I would have liked to have heard more about some of the details of the consulting he does. He talks about the relationships he has with clients, but other than a few small examples, it is all very general. He talks about coaching executives and being on retainers for executives, but then doesn't talk about the content of that consulting that actually provides
Antonio
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consulting
This is my assessment of the book Milion Dollar Consulting by Alan Weiss according to my 6 criteria:
1. Related to practice - 4 stars

Total 4.33 stars.
Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
Million Dollar Consulting is a superbly detailed and thorough look at what it takes to setup a successful consulting practice. It's full of useful tips and in-depth recommendations for such crucial topics as focusing on results, marketing, business-winning proposals, setting consulting rates, partnerships, etc. The book oozes real-life experience. The book's greatest strength is that it provides concrete examples and step-by-step instructions around most of the important issues that consultants ...more
Agona Apell
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enlightening read! Leads the reader steadily and masterfully through the major stages of running a consulting practice. I especially loved the chapters on writing proposals and setting value-based fees. Many business writers make mountains out of the molehills of proposal writing. Not Mr. Weiss: his idea of a proposal is a compact affair which I have stuck to with great benefit ever since I picked it from these pages.

This is a book I will read again and again over the coming years.

Michael
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for independent consultants that are both starting out and have been in business for a while. The section on value based pricing is absolutely astounding and will revolutionize the bottom line of most businesses. However note that Mr. Weiss has done a much better job in other books of detailing the specific ways and methods of using the value based pricing model. This book is a great primer to most of his other great books like his Ultimate Consultant Series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Expert Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Finding Your Message, Building a Tribe, and Changing the World
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Traction
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • The Trusted Advisor
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth
  • If You're Not First, You're Last: Sales Strategies to Dominate Your Market and Beat Your Competition
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
“You grow based on exploiting strengths, not by acclimating to weaknesses.” 2 likes
“Abraham Maslow observed, “When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.” 1 likes