Start by marking “Mother Teresa. The Untold Story” as Want to Read:
Mother Teresa. The Untold Story

Mother Teresa. The Untold Story

The popular tendency is to deify myths, gurus, and personalities without investigating the claims thoroughly. Mother Teresa is one such name. Does Mother Teresa deserve her reputation as the most charitable person who ever lived? This book makes for a gripping but disconcerting read.
‘Brilliant, heroic, devastating’ – Dr. William Radice, School of Oriental and African Studi
Paperback, 1st Edition, 400 pages
Published March 31st 2016 by Fingerprint! Publishing (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Teresa. The Untold Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Teresa. The Untold Story

Start your review of Mother Teresa. The Untold Story
Nandakishore Varma
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like most Indians born in the fifties and the sixties, I have been raised on a staple diet of stories about the “saintly” Mother Teresa “of Calcutta”. The standard narrative goes like this: Albanian nun comes to the city of Calcutta in India (which is hell on earth with the destitute dying on every street corner and lepers walking with rotted body parts falling off) and becomes a one-woman army patrolling the streets of this nether city and single-handedly caring for the abysmally poor. It is wh ...more
Aditya
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Any criticism of Mother Teresa, in India, is brushed aside without consideration because, more often than not it comes from the hindu right who are lampooned as hillbillies in the popular media. However the author, Dr. Aroup Chatterjee, just as any Calcuttan worth his salt, is a Marxist or has been one during his college days. Therefore, his book cannot be dismissed as easily.

Mother Teresa is much more adored and deified in the West than in India. Criticizing her is sacrilege, yes, but she is no
Rohit Enghakat
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like all people, I was also also enamoured by the persona of Mother Teresa when I was growing up. Her congregation Missionaries of Charity was always in the limelight when some dignitary, head of state or a celebrity visited Calcutta to meet her. I was elated when she was ordained a saint by the Vatican in 2015. After she died, her Missionaries of Charity was somewhat out of the "limelight". This book is an outright critical piece of her haloed persona and the way Calcutta was portrayed as a cit ...more
Anirban
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.”

And, how right good ole Winston was, when he uttered this line. Mother Teresa lived and “worked” full time to prove how correct Winston was. She just modified it with a few twists of her own. Advertise the lie, get some cronies to publish that lie through books and articles, brainwash a few into believing the lie and lo and behold, we have a “Saint” who cures tumors with medallions.

But, I guess we Indians, es
Madhumita Bharde
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
There were (separate) times when I found the critique to be monotonous, contradictory or even a tad bit unfair.. Not sure if that could have been avoided- but there is no doubt that this is a story that needed to be told. The painstaking approach of the author makes it a better read.
Steve
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book

A well-researched and excellently written book that exposes the monster and charlatan that was Mother Teresa. Chatterjee plots the rise of the myth, shines light on the truth, and conclusively shows how she did far more harm than good.
Privy Trifles
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A mind blowing read. It left me disturbed for a while as I digested the information provided to me after years of research and hard work. This book made me think about a lot of things and raised a lot of questions.

It needs to be read by one and ALL to know the real face of our Indian society.
Karthik Kashyap
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic research work. The book reveals the hidden truth.

Got clarity on my understanding towards The Mother
Divya
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cruelty unfolded - the untold story of a white lady with a dark heart.
Lydia Suttova
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellently researched! An eye opener and should be read by everyone.
आदित्य
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Only some facts are new to me, ideologically very much aware of this creature; absolute state of this country that this organisation still exists here.
Tracy
May 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Some interesting and shocking revelations which the author claims to have video, photographic and eye witness evidence of. That is why I gave it three stars.

However ... the book was written so erratically. There was no order to it. For example it jumped from the 1960s to the 1990s back to the 1960s then to the 1970s. It was really difficult to keep up. The writer went off track quite a lot, in that the information within a chapter did not tally with the title and theme of that chapter. He also
Aniruddha Sengupta
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Extremely partisan, sometimes bordering on the ranting of one obsessed. Could have been more balanced. Recommended for those that revel in taking down icons because they have feet of clay, all the while forgetting that these icons, also human, have done more good than we have
Shivika
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Very slow sluggish book with lots of pain and struggle mentioned.

Emily Benbasat
Great information, poorly written.
Harini Pasupuleti

• The Life and Death of Yukio Mishima
  • Curfewed Night
  • Patriotism
  • Unreal Aliens
  • 進撃の巨人 20 [Shingeki no Kyojin 20] (Attack on Titan, #20)
  • 進撃の巨人 22 [Shingeki no Kyojin 22] (Attack on Titan, #22)
  • 進撃の巨人 26 [Shingeki no Kyojin 26] (Attack on Titan, #26)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
  • Call of the Mall: The Geography of Shopping