Start by marking “Don't You Forget About Me” as Want to Read:
Don't You Forget About Me

Don't You Forget About Me

An athlete, a princess, a brain, a criminal, a basket case…

Cara Dunham is definitely one of them. But stuck in her small hometown, with no prospects of escape, she's struggling to find her thing. Her life is more book club than Breakfast Club and there is no Judd Nelson in sight!

So when Cara is invited to a school reunion she knows this is her chance to channel her inner M
Published June 6th 2016 by Carina

To ask other readers questions about Don't You Forget About Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't You Forget About Me

Kim
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, kindle, net-galley
Cara works in a dvd rental shop that is due to close. As she considers what her future should hold she receives an invitation to a school reunion. School wasn't the happiest time of her life and although she had a small group of like minded friends, she was very intimidated by the other students. She wants to be a succcess by the time she attends- but is 2 weeks going to long enough to turn her life around?

It's a lovely book of friendships, romance and 80's film references. Cara needs to learn t
Sky
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Firstly a thank you to NetGalley and Carina for a ARC in exchange for an honest review which I am more then happy to give.

This is the first book that I have ready by Liz Tippling and I must admit that I was a little disappointed. Don't forget about me had a lovely cover but the story Itself was just lacking what I typically expect from a book of this genre.

The main Character was relatable but I didn't warn to her as much as I would have liked to.

An enjoyable, predictable read.
Jessica Mercado
Jul 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf, e-book
DNFd at 30%
I was super excited for this with the 80s references and bringing up fantaatic movies, but literally i felt like i was reading from a 15 yr old girls perspective.

It was 3 things completley repeated for the majority of what i read
1. How she had a bettered sausage revalation
2. How she was to be notice but no one ever notices her
3. and if she is a Brain, Athlete, Basket case or criminal because she definitley not a princess ...UUGGHH
Not that enjoyable to get through and the writing was v
Cynthia Corral
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I spent my teenage years in the 1980s, so when I heard there were going to be a lot of John Hughes references in this book, I was sold.

Liz Tipping has written a book that is nothing more than light, funny, fluffy chick-lit. That is all it pretends to be and it does it well. And it's basically the plot of every 1980s/John Hughes film: Girl doesn't feel good enough, Girl pines for big shot Guy, little shot Best Friend pines for Girl, Girl gets makeover and all the right stuff happens in a big swee
MetLineReader
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, arcs
An enjoyable tale of Cara, who wishes her life was set in an 80s movie.
I particularly enjoyed the references to Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, two of my all-time classics! A fun beach read or perfect for a comfort-read.
Thriller readers are best to avoid this one unless they're after 80s nostalgia.

MetLineReader rating 3.75*
My thanks to Carina for an advance readers copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Sara King
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a lover of rom-coms (and John Hughes), I was pretty excited to read this. It did have a few enjoyable moments, but it took far too long for it to become what it was clearly going to become (a love story). With a school reunion on the horizon, Cara enlists the help of her pal Stubbs to help her become "cool" (honestly, you could have created a drinking game for every time Cara says cool, or wants to be cool, or feels uncool. And you would be taken to the ER with alcohol poisoning) so she can f ...more
Patricia
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cara Dunham, like many women of a certain age, lives in hope that her life will be like a John Hughes film. But now in her thirties, she's a little old for high school angst and proms. But she still hopes her Blane or John Bender will turn up one day. When a ball/class reunion is planned and she discovers her high school crush will be there she's determined that she will be Molly for at least one night so enlists her best friend Stubbs to help her channel her inner princess. But he thinks she's ...more
Diane L. Lupton
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
read for the theme - has song lyrics in the title

A girl in her late twenties is obsessed with John Hughes films and particularly Molly Ringwald. She is looking for her "moment" like Molly Ringwald had in Pretty in Pink or the Breakfast Club. Her high school reunion is coming up and she tries to figure out which character from Breakfast Club suits her best so she can have that "moment" that never came in high school. Reading the names of the movies, characters, and actors over and over and over a
Lynn McCrum
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fab easy read - although a tad predictable from the start it didn’t detract from the overall story or the message it was sending.

Cara still works in the shop she worked in as a teenager although no one rents DVDs anymore. She is tired of being unnoticed and wants her ‘moment’ like they do in the romantic films she favours.

I loved the references to the John Hughes’ films and totally get why Cara was so hung up on them - they kind of just make you sigh out loud in that contented way an
Brenda
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute story
Such a cute book. At first I thought it was going to be a Romy and Michelle redo, but it wasn't. The writer uses a lot of John Hughes movie references to tell this story. Since these were a part of my young adult life I could relate. The Story is quite predictable, but I didn't care. I liked her characters and the story flowed all the way until the end. Nice book to read on a rainy day. Totally enjoyed it.
Sarie Cross
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant 2nd Novel

Thoroughly enjoyed this novel by Liz Tipping. Brought back feelings of always wanting to fit in but made me smile at the awkwardness of the main characters as they discover their feelings. Highly recommended.
Chubbybookworm
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
This novel was completely adorable. I want my own Stubbs. I loved it so very much!
GERALDINE DAVIS
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Dont forget me

I considered this book to be for a younger reader, high school perhaps. I really couldn't connect with this story.
Michelle Marotz
DNF. I thought I would love this book for the concept alone but was bored from the start. Never made it out of the old movie store. Nothing about the characters captivated my intrest.
Jessica
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now I'm not an 80s girl but this was still cute. I liked Cara and found her quite relatable. The best friend was predictable, let's be real this is chick lit so it's usually predictable. But it was still a fun, light read.

**I received a copy from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for a review**
Jen
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Slightly getting by on the British locale and the love interest. I rooted for the main character but was continuously frustrated with her.
Liz
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Piece of fluff. Enjoyed the 8
Agi
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-releases

I loved Liz Tipping's debut novel, "Five Go Glamping" - it was full of humour, brilliant read with brilliantly drawn characters, a read that kept me entertained and that I couldn't stop to talk about. Keeping this in mind, I was more than excited when I've heard news that Liz's new novel "Don't You Forget About Me" is about to be released soon, and I kept stalking NetGalley in anticipation of this story.

Full of expectations I started reading it. However, very soon I started to ask myself, what
Rachel Gilbey
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I found Don't You Forget About Me to be an enjoyably predictable book, by that I mean I guessed who would end up with who, and vaguely what the overall outcomes would be, but due to a couple of unexpected moments, I did really enjoy the story too.

However I found that main character, Cara just grated on my nerves a lot, with her perception of how she was at high school, and her continued attempts to find her "thing". She is a big Molly Ringwald fan, and wants to be just like her, includ
Rachel
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
About the book:

Cara Dunham feels trapped in her hometown, she really needs to escape. So when Cara is invited to her school reunion she decides it is the perfect opportunity to start afresh and get her happy ending.

Her school crush Daniel will be there but Cara needs help so she enlists her friend Stubbs to teach how to be just like Molly Ringwald.

Will Cara get her dream man and what happens if she realises he might be closer than she ever imagined?

My thoughts:

I loved the premise for this book
Noelle Kelly
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book left me feeling loved up and good about myself.
I read this book as part of the romance theme for my online book club and I raced through it, enjoying every single page.
Cara, the main character is obsessed with the 80's, Molly Ringwald and John Hughes movies, which I loved.
This was an easy read with a theme of loving and accepting one's own self, as well as a warm, fuzzy romantic ending.
I mainly read horror and I was surprised at how much I liked this. I look forward to reading more
Rachael Richey
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Don’t You Forget About Me is Liz Tipping’s second novel, and having thoroughly enjoyed her first, Five Go Glamping, I was naturally very excited to read this one.

I wasn’t disappointed. In fact I can honestly say I loved this book. It kept me reading right into the night – under the covers with a torch, like a naughty child – because I couldn’t bear to put it down.

The main character, Cara, is so easy to identify with and I love that in a heroine. She is a totally normal girl, unsettled in her job
Sharon
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
Cara Dunham has a job she loves - she works in a video shop. Probably not the ideal job to have in 2016, as she soon finds out when the shop is due to close down due to dwindling sales. Cara loves all things John Hughes and aches to have a perfect movie moment of her own - could that perfect moment come when High School nemesis April Webster decides to throw a School Reunion ball? Cara might be able to catch the eye of her very own Judd Nelson, classmate Daniel Rose. With the help of her friends ...more
Zoe
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny, touching, quirky, and romantic!

This is a classic friends-to-more romance that pays homage to all those 80s movies we love and can’t get enough of.

The writing is well done. The characters are lovable, cute, and genuine. And the plot flows nicely, has just the right amount of drama, with a side of movie trivia, that will keep you engaged until the last page.

I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend it.

And between you-and-I, I always secretly hoped that one day I would be sitting on
Fiona Wilson
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, netgalley
Actual rating 3.5 star

I love books like this which are usually easy to read with a decent storyline. This one did have a good storyline but it took me so long to get into.

The characters are all written well, and the story is quite a familiar one as I was a fan of the film mentioned by the main character. But for some reason I wasn't really drawn into the story, and I honestly wanted to get to the end as quickly as I could to find out if the characters I wanted to get together actually did.

This i
Sally Coles
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cara has always dreamed of a movie lifestyle but life just isn't like that, so when a school reunion ball is being organised she decides it is her chance to get what she has always wanted - the one that got away - Daniel Rose the school heartthrob

She needs to re-invent herself to succeed and so she enlists the help of her old friend Stubbs - but he thinks Cara is perfect as she as and goes all out to try and make her realise this

An enjoyable lighthearted read - totally predicable but still fun a
Kathleen Gray
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Sprightly writing and a potentially fun plot line that sagged in the middle ultimately made this a meh read for me. It helps, I think, if you are familiar with (and like) John Hughes movies but the references aren't overwhelming. Some of the scenes such as Liv making Cara into a goth and Pat "giving" her the dress buoyed this along. There's a better book in here but this is not a bad way to spend an afternoon. THanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Rebecca
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't love it. I found it to be overly predictable, repetitive, and a bit corny. The main character being down on herself was also quite annoying. It was fine for a mindless read, but this book doesn't really offer anything more than that.

I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
Karen
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful read that definitely itched the scratch (or scratched the itch -- I never know which) left when John Hughes passed away. Perfect those of us who can more or less recite the lines to multiple Hughes films!

Full ramble at The Well-Read Pirate Queen

Aisha
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this fabulously funny book! It's a wonderful feel-good story. I read it on a lovely sunny day which helped!
Cara is a great character. The character development was interesting. I liked her much more towards the end of the book.
I'd definitely recommend this read.
« previous 1 3 next »
Liz Tipping is a writer of romantic comedies.

As well as reading and writing novels, Liz enjoys John Hughes films, science fiction box sets, reality television, Irish sausages and ginger beer. She lives in Birmingham and has a degree in Communication where she specialised in Film Studies and Photography.

Stay in touch with Liz by signing up to her newsletter http://eepurl.com/bd2WuT