Start by marking “Goldie Vance #1 (Goldie Vance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Goldie Vance #1 (Goldie Vance, #1)

Goldie Vance #1

(Goldie Vance #1)

What’s to Love: From Nancy Drew to Veronica Mars, we really dig girl detectives! Hope Larson (A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel) and Brittney Williams (Patsy Walker, A.K.A Hellcat!) present the newest gal sleuth on the block with Goldie Vance, an exciting, whodunnit? adventure that mixes the fun of Eloise with the charm of Lumberjanes.

What It Is: In a timele
32 pages
Published April 13th 2016 by Boom! Box

To ask other readers questions about Goldie Vance #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldie Vance #1

Idarah
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I really enjoyed the first in this comic series! Goldie reminds me of Nancy Drew. Will definitely buy the next in line.
 photo IMG_0707_zpstkyfjuxa.png
Stacy
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-work
Anna
Cute, but not enough depth to read further. A lil predictable too.
I may try the second issue, but to be honest, I'm not feeling it.
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Goldie's one-half Nancy Drew and one-half Veronica Mars, if she existed as a biracial and LGBT kid in the sixties. The first of the series caught my attention. I love seeing a cast of characters of various hues, sexes, and sexuality.

The only con I have is how it's set in 1960s Florida and bypassing the issues of the era. Everyone's getting along as if they live in 2018. (Maybe I'll get this later in the series.)
Kelsey
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2019
Read for the Read Harder Challenge #21: A comic by an LGBTQIA creator.
Connor
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4.5 - well, THIS was utterly charming. [heart eyes]
Anne
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like Lumberjanes, you will like this comic. Perfectly captures the feel of a Nancy Drew-like world, but smarter and with a twist.
Darinda
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Read in Goldie Vance Volume 1.

Goldie Vance is a teenager who works at a Florida resort that her father manages. She dreams of becoming the hotel's in-house detective, and helps the current detective on cases.

A fun, retro teen sleuth story. Lots of diversity, and done in a low-key way... it's there, but not the focus of the story. Well done.

The first comic in the series. Goldie works the case of a hotel guest's missing necklace.
Kennedy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome comic book serise! I've only read the first issue but I can already tell it's going to be great. I don't really know why but I love that it's set in 19! I really like the aritsts too who worked on it, too! (Hellcat was AMAZING!!!) I can't wait to read the others! Goldie is such a good main charecter, she's funny, smart, and realistic. Realistic charecters is something that a lot of comics don't do good on, I'm looking at you, Classic DC charecters!
Valerie
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A new graphic novel to me. I enjoy this one because Goldie is 'part detective' and helps to solve the mysteries that are going on around her. I liked the graphics and I found this one interesting to read. You never quite know what Goldie is going to get into next.
Miss Emme Wright
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why so short

Bought for my daughter aged 9, who said, “I liked the main character Goldie; she is so cool being a Detective. I found it easy to read but wished it was a longer comic! I’ll be reading volume 2.”
Sierra the Nerdgirl
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am loving this! A black girl as a main character and god damn has she got some spunk in her.
Antonella
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
That was super duper cute
Sue
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read especially for girls. Goldie reminded me of Sammy Keyes. Fun new series.
Teresa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun start to what I think will be a promising series! Goldie Vance lives, and works, in a hotel that is managed by her father but what she really wants to do is be a professional sleuth. When a guest at the hotel goes missing, Goldie springs into action. Cannot wait to see what the next volume will bring!
°~Amy~°
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The characters were all interesting, the artwork was very well done (a bit retro, which was cool) and the story was engaging. The twists at the end really pull the reader in to the rest of the series. I'm looking forward to reading further adventures of Goldie Vance.
Christine
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute and super fun! Goldie is such a great role model, she's resourceful, intelligent, kind, and spunky! Also, the art is AMAZING!
Sasha
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
What can I say? I love me some spunky girl detective stories.

I somehow keep coming back to the 60s and space in my readings and it's not even intentional, but i do like it. It's 60's Florida resort town, which means we get some great fashion and call backs to NASA and space, and not to mention flashes of the Cold War. I love the art! It's colorful and has a muted brightness, that aids to a retro feel.

Our cast of characters certainly has me coming back to read more issues. Goldie is
CleverBaggins
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is one of the cutest stories I've read in a while. Goldie Vance considers herself a detective, helping around the hotel where she and her father works. She helps friends and customers and gets into lots of adventure and trouble along the way from racing cars, finding lost children and investigating a missing person's case. It cute and fun in a (better written I think) Nancy Drew like way only the characters are a nice mixed cast of races and sexes, etc. It was cute and fun but the ending ma ...more
Regsly
I love the art, there's something reminiscent to the old comics with more polished tones and lines. The character design has also made an impression on me from the start, the main characters stand out and are memorable.
Concerning the plot, since it's the first issue anything can yet happen, but being set in a hotel during the 60's, in which people come and go all the time, it's promising. We shall see.
San Frazier
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So I always tell people that I eally like comics or graphic novels but I rarely read them anymore. Well I so enjoyed reading this series it is just plan fin and I love that the lead person is a super smart girl who just so happens to be brown. I am so loving this and hope that we get more stories of Goldie and her friends. I thinknthy Goldir will appeal to anyone who likes a bit o mystery and adventure.
Maria
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Many thanks to the publisher for a free advanced copy.*

Girl detective solves crimes when not working her regular job, the valet stand at a high-end resort hotel. The type of fun I remember from Scooby Doo and Encyclopedia Brown. By women, about girls (mostly), for anyone who likes a good comic detective story. Stars people of color, touches on issues of class and girls in science. Morally-questionable men's to solve cases, however. (Forgivable because it's a comic?)
Jamie Canaves
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, fun
This was a fun and entertaining comic. Goldie Vance works at a Fl. beach hotel as a valet but she's really assisting the hotels in-house private detective--even though he doesn't seem to want her help. He may think he doesn't need Goldie but clearly she's the only one clever enough and determined enough to solve the cases. I'm 100% in for the next issue. And I recommend fans of Nancy Drew check out the comic.
Paige
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: single-issues
Goldie Vance seems like the only person I can describe as having gumption in a non ironic way. She's so great! She's working at a hotel for her father in Florida. She parks cars, but her true ambition is solving crimes. She seems like such a great person and someone I would want to be friends with in real life. Sign me up for the next 3 issues, Goldie Vance is definitely the comic for me!
Michelle
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
Every SINGLE thing in this book is perfection. The art? The most diverse cast of characters I've ever seen and a clear line to a young lesbian love affair? Divorced parents who treat one another with care!!! And the greatest setting! Plus a detective story? Plus knee socks?!?!?

I borrowed this from the library but now I have to buy it.
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I admit that girl detective is not a genre I have any interest in but it'll be a cold day in hell when I don't support a female POC lead character in a comic book.
Goldie has got major spunk and "go gettem" attitude I can appreciate.
And the art is right up my alley. I will definitely continue with this series.
Allie
This rating/review is based on an ARC from the publisher, bia Mia.

Way more appealing than Nancy Drew! I can't wait to read the rest and recommend this to all the cool kid graphic novel readers I know.
Sarah Souther
Spunky teen solves mysteries. Add some retro Florida style, snappy delivery, and mixed-race cast of characters (that Larson doesn't feel the need to explain) and you have something unusual and fun. Gr. 6 & up.
Jenna
Rather cute and I could see kids really enjoying it, especially anyone into kids solving mysteries. Din't think I'll personally continue the series, but I'd be happy to recommend it. Cute, bright illustrations.
Alison
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The mystery might be the weirdest, but I'll stick with this cast for a little while longer and see what they're up to.
read more...

• Giant Days #14
  • Lumberjanes #29
Hope Larson is an American illustrator and comics artist. Hope Larson is the author of Salamander Dream, Gray Horses, Chiggers, and Mercury. She won a 2007 Eisner Award. She lives in Los Angeles, California.

Goldie Vance (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Goldie Vance #2 (Goldie Vance, #2)
  • Goldie Vance #3 (Goldie Vance, #3)
  • Goldie Vance #4 (Goldie Vance, #4)
  • Goldie Vance #5 (Goldie Vance, #5)
  • Goldie Vance #6
  • Goldie Vance #7
  • Goldie Vance #8 (Goldie Vance, #8)
  • Goldie Vance #9 (Goldie Vance, #9)
  • Goldie Vance #10 (Goldie Vance, #10)
  • Goldie Vance #11