Start by marking “The Zombie Room” as Want to Read:
The Zombie Room

Read Book

The Zombie Room

An unlikely bond is forged between three men from very different backgrounds when they serve time together in prison. A series of wrong turns and disastrous life choices has led to their incarceration. Following their release, Mangle, Decker and Tazeem stick together as they return to a life of crime, embarking on a lucrative scam. But when they stumble upon a sophisticate ...more
Published April 10th 2016 by Garden Heights Books (first published July 26th 2012)

Start your review of The Zombie Room
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friendship, crime, fiction
Nope, this book isn't one of those annoying zombie dystopian novels despite its title. Actually it's about three men in prison and the way they survive. I found the language too crass and rude sometimes but otherwise The Zombie Room is an excellent novel with themes similar to books and films like The Shawshank Redemption and Prison of Secrets.
Daniel Middlewood
This book covers everything that could be asked for in a novel of its type, it has extensive and believable action, the characters have depth and believability with a true sense of reality running through every page, the plot is a mind blowing reality of the true human condition and how it is affected by extreme circumstances. The emotions and character connections that are found in the book are far beyond anything I have ever read and I am yet to find a story that manages to be as complex in st ...more
Amanda Turner
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I read 'The Elephant Tree', Ronald's first novel last year, and had to pick up 'The Zombie Room' when it came out this year.

Ronald picks up the pace in this novel, with WAY more action, more characters, and even a cameo from a character in his first book. I'm excited that he linked the two novels, evolving the world in which they belong... and also their stories.

This novel deals with race, prison, violence, sex trafficking, illegal immigration.... and much more. It reads like a
Dan Eccleston
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really should of read the synopsis cause this book isn't about Zombies at all ! BUT it's a great read , fast paced , enough back story to get you by and few twists and turns along the way !
Christina Wood
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has loads of great twists and turns, I seriously didn't put it down and finished it in 3 days!
David Berkowitz
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Zombie Room is fast paced and Ronald's style is engaging. The characters are diverse and effort was obviously expended to make their actions consistent with their background as established in the early pages.

That said, the characters remain a somewhat cardboard - though it is a high quality of cardboard.

The plot really breaks no new ground in the genre, but I knew that going on so I was not disappointed. I did find the end somewhat unsatisfying. If this is the first part of a multi-part sa
George King
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On a recent trip back to the UK, I was lucky enough to meet the author R. D. Ronald doing a book signing in Newcastle. In all honesty I hadn't heard of Richard or his books, but he spoke with such conviction and passion about his work and why he writes, I bought both his titles, The Zombie Room and The Elephant Tree and I have to say I was not disappointed! In fact I read The Zombie Room on the flight back to the US becasue I couldn't put it down. The Zombie Room is an excellent, well written bo ...more
Julie Barrett
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Zombie Room by R D Ronald
Have read other works by the author and enjoyed them so happy to learn of this new one, description leaves me with many questions...
Won't go into details of the story but my impressions: found language a bit on the rough side but it goes with the story line.
Wanted to hear more from the prison side of things-something I will never get to experience myself-Find it fascinating, the bond and achievements you can make while on the inside.
When the men get involved with he
Adam
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from RD Ronald. this book as with the elephant tree consumes your mind. it takes you on a journey through lives that you would never normally know exists. the whole story seems real.
Sokolataki88
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book from the very beginning, the plot is very cleverly put together. The twists and turns make it impossible to put down. Also, the characters in the Zombie Room stay with you long after you finish the book, they are weirdly endearing criminals. A must-read if you are looking for a good thriller.
Pat
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book pulls out all the stops. It's risky and that's what gives it its success. At many parts, my heart raced for the sake of the characters. There were some surprises and some bits that were bound to happen, but happen a little differently than expected.
Martin Sharp
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mangle, Decker and Tazeem. A drug dealer, a killer and a fraudster. Not exactly your typical "heroes" but these three men have ended up together in prison - following some bad life decisions - and form an unlikely bond in prison.
When they are eventually released, they look for ways to make money but stumble upon a sophisticated sex-trafficking operation that leads them in to real danger. A family member disappears and a friend is killed.
Will the three men get justice and be brave enough to bring
Mark G
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
A gritty, crime drama, which shows the depths you can fall, when you make the wrong decisions, on the wrong side of the law.

Great book with non-stop action and plenty of twists and turns.
Janey
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent tale of betrayal, deceit and corruption that gives an in-depth insight on the lives of four very different people from very different circumstances that are brought together by the choices they have made, or have been inflicted upon, and the journey they embark on (after their respective lessons have been learnt).
This for me is a thrilling piece of literature, which I found very hard to put down after the initial introduction of the protagonists which I found to be very explanatory
Tyson
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
My review here. ...more
Allie
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Zombie Room is a coming-of-age story of youth culture, delinquency, criminality, and ultimately murder. Three anti-hero protagonists held to account for their past actions and then confronted by a much more serious situation when they don't learn from past mistakes. Zippy writing that conjured some great visuals. Pretty daring, with some unexpected twists, cleverly sustained dramatics and moments of dark humour.

I enjoyed the storyline and multiple sinister elements and characters. The human
Victoria
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant book for such a small book it was surprising how much happened. A definite twist at the end. Highly recommend if your into these kind of books.
Irayda Moran (Quezada)
As I started to read The Zombie Room, I thought there is no way RD Ronald can give each of these characters a voice. Boy was I wrong. Mangle (my favorite), Tatiana, Tazeem and the others come to together in a great story. Where wrong choices & the hope for a better life make them cross paths. On their way to redemption (for some) & help those who can't help themselves. ...more
Kev Laws
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this authors debut book 'The Elephant Tree' I was excited for his follow up book and my god it did not disappoint, well written, fast paced and with great characters. The book is set in the same world as the previous and the author is create a rich deep world that your immersed in. Might have to get a few copies for stocking filler this year.

Bring on the next book please.
The Singing Monkey
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Full of dark brooding characters and criminality but also razor sharp reality.
Katherine
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. But ends out of no where. Either I didn't have the end of it or there is a sequel?
Deandra Rask
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not surprised how this splits opinion so much as it is so very different to the majority of thriller books, but I just loved it! I genuinely didn't know what to expect from every twist, and even when I thought I'd got used to that the ending blew me away again.
Christina
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm sooooo angry how it ended!! Don't get me wrong - it's not a cliffhanger but it makes you so angry! Because you rooted for all of them! Tazeem, Mangle and Decker will be your new all time favourite Criminals!

At first I was unsure if I might like this book - because it's one of the first book where basically everyone is a criminal, convicted, Mafioso, Scumbag etc you get the point but I was so wrong!

I also thought the book starts in the prison - but no! we get a first insight in their live w
Ellie Douglas
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, really well written, spooky, over all pretty darn good.
Lando27
Feb 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"This book is terrible" was pretty much the consensus of every person in our book club. It's unrealistic, juvenile, misogynistic, and boring. It feels like it was written by an unmediacted 14-year-old boy with ADD who has seen too many bad movies.
Srivatsan
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant Thriller. Love the characterization of the main characters Mangle, Decker and Tazeem with different backgrounds who end up together.

When I was thinking how the author will connect the Zombie Room to the story, the introduction of Zombie Room was interesting and some parts were really scary. Several fights towards the end were interesting and cinematic. Overall the book was fun and thrilling to read. 4.25/5.
Shanu
May 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this piece of writing needs so much editing that i can't call it a book.
Kindle Crazy
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seriously dark and enveloping book that sucks you in to the lives of some very different, equally messed up, protagonists. A coming together of minds and personalities in the most unlikely of ways sees three guys, and eventually a girl, team up to take on a most horrific sex-trafficking operation after becoming embroiled in all the criminality and violence. Not a book about zombies at all, but the title is a clever metaphor for how the girls are subjugated and made docile enough to traffic and p ...more
Ebooks Rock
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Zombie Room was dark and haunting, perhaps even quite depressing at times which, in my opinion, perhaps accounts for some of the more naïve bad reviews. However, I thought it was so well-written that it grabbed and held my attention to the end. Writing has always got to be sparse these days, at least so we’re told, but it was a refreshing change to read Ronald’s work and his graphic depictions of scenes so in-depth that you felt you were right in there with the characters. A familiar story w ...more
Katie.dorny
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
A lacklustre thriller that wants to be so much more than what it is.

I was expecting a dark, gritty thriller that I could devour. Whilst the plot contains a sex trafficking operation and plenty of murder - the characters were so two dimensional and the plot so shallow that I couldn’t connect with most of the book.

Aspects of the book just seemed to be added in to try and add a bit more oomph. However, shoehorning in as much content as you can doesn’t guarantee a gripping plot.

The book basically

• Requiem for a Dream
  • American Psycho
  • The Girl Who Lived
  • What You Did
An award winning transgressive crime novelist (whatever that means) for All and None.

Author of The Elephant Tree and The Zombie Room. Now writing more books while getting older and more miserable.

Twitter: @RDRonaldauthor