Start by marking “Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, #1)

Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  3,219 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
Jig is a scrawny little nearsighted goblin-a runt even among his puny species. Captured by a party of adventurers searching for a magical artifact, and forced to guide them, Jig encounters every peril ever faced on a fantasy quest.
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published November 7th 2006 by DAW (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Goblin Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goblin Quest

Kater Cheek
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
This book will lose most, if not all, of its humor if you haven't played D&D. In fact, it basically reads like a novel version of a D&D game, written from the point of view of an NPC (Non Player Character.) This NPC is Jig, a goblin who falls in with a group of adventurers who are bent on exploring a dungeon, slaying a dragon, and retrieving a wand of enormous power.

For such a by-the-books old school role-playing type adventure, there's a surprising amount of subtlety. One of the most en
Dorothea
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this book so much.

I read it last year, but now I finally treated myself to the two sequels, I decided to read it again. It definitely held up to re-reading.

I don't know how Goblin Quest would seem to people who aren't familiar with fantasy RPGs or post-Tolkien fantasy adventure novels. I enjoy both, on sufferance. Goblin Quest reads to me as though Jim C. Hines interviewed me about EVERYTHING that annoys me about D&D and then set out to write a book to make me feel better.

The protagon
Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2008 marked it as to-read
Jig the goblin in very low on the pecking order in the goblin tunnels.

But one day Jig runs afoul of a group of adventurers. The group is led by a prince with too many older brothers. He wants to prove himself. So with his wizard brother, a dwarf protector, and a young elf thief, they have come to the tunnels to search for the legendary Rod of Creation.

It is said to be deep in the mountain, beyond the terrible Necromancer, and guarded by an ancient dragon. Jig is impressed into service as a gui
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was unsure about this one to be honest, it was the story of a scrawny goblin after all. But I should not have feared, it was a Hines book after all.

This one was amusing, oh those silly humans ;) See Jig lives with the rest of the goblins where goblins live. And sometimes pesky humans aka adventures come into those caves looking for stuff, killing goblins and just being so darn annoying.

And that is what happens. A dwarf, a wizard, a prince and a thief comes looking for something and Jig have to
Debbie's Spurts (D.A.)
EDITED this review space to remove a deleted review from me somehow still displaying.

My ratings should be the only review of books from me showing on goodreads. They are my unincentivized, unconnected consumer product opinions.

The star rating reflects solely my subjective reading experience and resulting opinion of the book according to the rating scale used by goodreads. It's not intended to destroy anyone's livelihood nor to churn out book promotions for them — just my opinion/reaction shared
Dave Hogg
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f
Jim Hines is a really nice guy. He's a regular attendee at our local SF cons, and I've attended several panels where he's talked about life as a fledgling author. I've also had the chance to chat with him a few times, and, like I said, he's a really good guy.

This year, he was the Toastmaster for ConFusion, the con we have every January. Because of that, and because he's such a nice man, I decided that, well, I should probably read one of his books. Sorry about that, Jim.

I really wish I hadn't w
Dirk Grobbelaar
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Here's the thing. On any other day I would have given this little ditty 3 out of 5. Today, I'm not feeling that hypocritical. See, I really enjoyed reading this. It is not a literary masterpiece, but it sure is fun. And sometimes, just sometimes, that counts for a lot. Jig the Goblin is a delightful counterpoint to the more commonplace fantasy hero-type. If you enjoy adventure fiction a la Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance you'll certainly recognise most of the conventions here. This is a parody, ...more
Terry
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hines does for goblins what Tolkien did for halflings.
Andy
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Goblin Quest by Jim C. Hines is the first in a trilogy of books about a goblin named, "Jig." (I'm assuming the other two books are about Jig, I've not actually read them yet. But I will...read on...) Jig is a misfit and spends his days just trying to stay out of the way of most of the other goblins. He has a quicker wit than most other goblins, but that's hardly valued in the goblin world. Through a series of serious bummers Jig quickly finds himself in a place he's never been: outside the gobli ...more
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Jig the Goblin trilogy by Jim C. Hines. This was a humorous and entertaining classic dungeon crawl adventure.

Jig the goblin is the runt of the goblin community. When he accidentally gets tangled up on a quest with two humans, a dwarve, and an elf he finds himself having to be more courageous than ever...which is something a goblin never is. Jig will face off against a necromancer and a dragon and become the worshiper of a forgotten god, and all he wanted to do was g
Markham Anderson
May 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
IN BRIEF:
Children young enough to swallow this text should not be exposed to the crass tidbits scattered here and there within it.

THE GOOD:
The author's effective portrayal of what is admirable about the race of Men inspires faith in humankind and in oneself. The storyline turns out to be beyond the mundane and hackneyed. There are many problems for the characters to solve, and several of their solutions are downright foxy.

THE BAD:
The voice of the text is exorbitantly juvenile and, of a consequen
Chris
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's Jig, not goblin.

Actually, it's Jig the goblin in the role of fairy tale Simpleton.

I've broken with D&D tradition and rounded up, in case anyone is keeping track, after all one review rounded down.

Goblin Quest isn't as polished as Hines' The Stepsister Scheme and it seems that Hines hadn't fully developed his style as of yet. In truth, some areas could use a tighter editor.

There, that's the bad stuff out of the way.

Hines is brillant. He's wonderful. He's cool. He's a D&D geek. The am
J
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2013
This book is basically a satirical play on classic table top rpg's and the tropes that lay within them. It takes place entirely from a goblin's point of view as he is forced into a journey with a band of adventurers. The fun here is in the way that the goblin views the setup of the adventurers as each of them has their own class and even (despite a subtle portrayal) alignment.
It is difficult to enjoy any of the characters aside from Jig, himself. The book starts out with very little development
Kate
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent romp for anyone who likes fantasy, and who's tired of the same old looting-questing-raiding tropes. If you've ever played D&D, in particular, you'll adore the offbeat sense of humour and skewed perspective in this novel.

At times, I got a bit annoyed with the very obvious trope inversions, but then the author would throw some fabulous aside out there, or a really resonant bit of character development, and I'd go back to being in love with the book. It's a fast, fun read, meant to
Lissibith
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A hilarious and moreover, unique take on the heroes on a quest story. Sure, we all know how humans, dwarves and elves will band together in collections of well-defined classes to face the horrors of underground temples, tombs and caves in search of powerful but long-forgotten artifacts.

But what about all those evil creatures they face along the way?

Jig is a great protagonist, pragmatic and practical, nearsighted and cowardly but essentially goodhearted and quick-witted. He travels with a traditi
Fen
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I no longer remember who first recommended this book... a friend on Facebook or Livejournal, I'm pretty sure. It's been sitting on my Teetering Pile for at least a year, if not longer, until a few weeks ago when I went looking for a paperback to take with me to read on the plane and it caught my eye.

What a fun book!! A marvelous twist on the hack-and-slash, follow-the-fellowship-on-their-quest type of adventure. It's funny, but can still manage to make you think about some of the tropes of the g
Woodge
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, silly
I was some 200 plus pages through some other trashy fantasy epic when the boredom factor hit my threshold. And I was in the mood for some other different fantasy story, something light, and this looked like fun.... A story about a puny, blue-skinned goblin named Jig with bad eyesight who finds himself pressed into service as a guide underneath the mountain where he lives. His captors are a vain prince, his half-mad wizard brother, a surly dwarf, and a thieving elf girl. And it's got a sense of h ...more
Rachel
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Rachel by: Chris Koppenhaver
As a D&D geek, I was vastly entertained by this lower deck version of a typical adventure. In addition to the insights into the mechanics of a chaotic evil race, you're also treated to a seat in the front row of party politics.

For those who aren't fellow geeks, there's still a fun story to be had as poor Jig is swept up as a captive by a band of bickering adventurers and gradually develops into a...less pathetic goblin.

Light, fun, and with a few good thinking points, I nearly rated this a f
Jen
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
This book is fabulous! Once I started, I couldn't easily put it down. This book is for everyone who's been in a D&D dungeon crawl, for everyone who cheers for the underdog, and for everyone who wants a good laugh.

Jig is a goblin. He's small, runty, and weak, even for his species. He's very near-sighted and has the unfortunate habit of thinking. He gets shanghaied by a group of adventurers hunting the Rod of Creation. Hilarity ensues.

Luckily for my sanity, this is the first book in a trilogy
Craig
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Many people whose opinions I respect recommended this quite highly, so perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. I thought it was fine, it was funny, it was cute... but not more than that. It's a humorous look at a D&D (or similar RPG) from the viewpoint of a NPC, and anyone who doesn't know what all of those letters stand for probably wouldn't like the book at all. I thought it was okay, but didn't see what all of the fuss was about.
Cloak88
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, audiobook-2016
Average, but entertaining for teens.

Jig is the runt of his tribe. Scrawny, with poor eyesight he gets the crap jobs no one wants. And of course as fate would have it, he gets captured and is forced to play guide for a bunch of Adventures hunting for some magical trinkets.

Ad a bit of humor and the chance to see the story from the "Monsters" point of few is interesting, but in all the novel hovers around an Average on most points.
Don
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This is very much a tongue-in-cheek type of novel. If you liked the Robert Asprin Myth series, this is as much or more funny. They myth books had a lot of puns. This tells of swords and sorcery from the goblin side. Read it, if only for the laughs!
Tammie
A story from the goblin's point of view. Not usually my cup of tea, but it was humorous and I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I probably will not bother to read the sequels though.
Meli
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Siento que subí 11 puntos en la escala de nerdismo con este libro :P
Jason
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jason by: My sci-fi/fantasy discussion group
Nowhere near as funny as the reviews on the outside and inside of the cover claimed.
Nahnita
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book and I can't wait to start the next in the series! !
mysticbookworm
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I love this book! !!!
Gabrielle Harbowy
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a different, fun spin on the traditional dungeon adventure. A very entertaining read!
Douglas Debner
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars really, but I'm a sucker for a book that can have fun with a genre while simultaneously providing a good story. Here, Jig the Goblin is captured by adventurers invading his cave. Thinking Jig will be a useful guide the adventurers force Jig to travel with them. It isn't long before Jig has an opportunity to escape but it is all to likely Jig will be killed by his tribe if he returns, so he continues on. Unfortunately it soon becomes clear that spending time with adventurers is likely t ...more
Molokov
Think of your typical fantasy adventure (like a D&D campaign). Now see it from the perspective of one of the goblins your party is attacking... That's basically this book. It's a fairly lighthearted fantasy affair, but it takes all the standard adventuring cliches and twists them around to look at from a different perspective. Good, lighthearted fun - not *funny* as such, but certainly enjoyable if you're familiar with the tropes being pulled apart.
What did you think? 4 27 Aug 01, 2016 03:37PM
All About Fantasy!: Goblin Quest 13 7 May 12, 2015 10:52AM
  • The Goblin Corps
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Villains by Necessity
  • Greatshadow (Dragon Apocalypse, #1)
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #4)
  • Dragon in Chains (Moshui, #1)
  • Fantasy Gone Wrong
  • Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)
  • Shadowbridge (Shadowbridge, #1)
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • Sir Apropos of Nothing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #1)
  • The Anvil of Ice (The Winter of the World, #1)
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • The Patriot Witch (Traitor to the Crown, #1)
  • Blue Moon Rising (Forest Kingdom, #1)
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
Jim C. Hines' latest book is REVISIONARY, the fourth in his modern-day fantasy series about a magic-wielding librarian, a dryad, a secret society founded by Johannes Gutenberg, a flaming spider, and an enchanted convertible. He's also the author of the PRINCESS series of fairy tale retellings, the humorous GOBLIN QUEST trilogy, and the Fable Legends tie-in BLOOD OF HEROES. His short fiction has ap ...more
More about Jim C. Hines...

Jig the Goblin (3 books)
  • Goblin Hero (Jig the Goblin, #2)
  • Goblin War (Jig the Goblin, #3)
“That worked great! Thank you so much. What next?"
"I don't know. I didn't expect you to live through it."
"Oh.”
14 likes
“Torches," Porak ordered.
"This is dumb," Jig grumbled as one of the others handed out torches. "Why not run ahead and warn any intruders that we're coming? Maybe we should sing, too, in case they're blind.”
8 likes