Start by marking “Giant Days, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Giant Days, Vol. 1

Giant Days, Vol. 1

(Giant Days #1-4)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  13,682 ratings  ·  1,911 reviews
"What's to Love: John Allison's daily webcomics Bad Machinery and Scary Go Round are hilarious, the kind of strips where every panel makes you laugh out loud. As a result, John has earned a large, loyal following of readers that have followed his work daily for the past 12 years. Giant Days is an entertaining, slice-of-life look at three friends away at university, and is ...more
Published November 18th 2015 by BOOM! - BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Giant Days, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Andrew If you are worried about inappropriateness perhaps one on John Allison's Bad Machinery stories might be more appropriate. About a group of high…moreIf you are worried about inappropriateness perhaps one on John Allison's Bad Machinery stories might be more appropriate. About a group of high schoolers stumbling onto and occasionally solving mysteries in the rather bizarre Northern town of Tackleford, which Esther de Groot, also known there as Dark Esther comes from. (less)
Wendy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  13,682 ratings  ·  1,911 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was such a fun read! Though I did feel it lacked a bit of direction, but it was such an entertaining read.
karen
 photo IMG_6914_zpsanmemvzj.jpg

i am stunned that i loved this book so much.

seriously - huge props to you people (YOUUUUU PEEEEEOPLE!!) who kept reviewing this book with such praise and pushing it on me and my apologies for not believing you all sooner. the artwork still does nothing for me, and is the reason i stubbornly resisted it for so long, but i fell hard for the characters, the story, and the general energy of this book.

it's funny, it's charming, it features strong female relationships between wildly dissimilar, beli
Lola
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, humor, college
I picked this comic volume on a whim, having heard that it explores the theme of friendship in a humorous way.

And it’s indeed fun, but very rarely funny. I may have cracked a smile here and there, but never did I actually laugh.

It’s about three inseparable girls at college who do and say all types of curious things. As it usually is with comics, the girls have exaggerated reactions and peculiar ways of behaving.

The art is filled with bright colors that appear, you could say, neat. As for the art
Raeleen Lemay
WOW this was just what I needed. Amazing art, and absolutely hilarious!
Nat
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
description

This graphic novel was really really fun and cute!
I had a great time reading the adventures of Susan, Esther, and Daisy as they start their university lives.

The incredible friendships with relatable humor, and growing up stories made this storyline extremely enjoyable.

I want more flashbacks!

Definitely going to check out the next volume.

*Note: I'm an Amazon Affiliate. If you're interested in buying Giant Days, Vol. 1, just click on the image below to go through my link. I'll make a small commissi
Lindsey Rey
WHY IS THIS OVER???? WHYYYYYYYY? HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR VOLUME 2??? I LOVED THIS SO FREAKING MUCH!!! NEW FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVEL SERIES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 4/10/18: Man I have been absolutely blowing through graphic novels on my lunch break now that I’ve started getting them on hoopla and don’t have to remember to bring them with me. Anywhoo, this was cuter than I remembered and I’m excited to carry on with the series again!

Original read 6/28/18: This was okay! I feel like I might start to enjoy it more as the series goes on. Here's hoping
Melanie

“Why are... boys... like this?”

This was a really fun, slice of life, college graphic-novel. And I think I liked it a little more because I always get nostalgic this time of year for college and dorm life. But this graphic novel follows three girls, who share a dorm, and are best friends.

Daisy - kind of geeky, likes ASMR, is queer. (basically me.)
Esther - hot, and extremely funny, goth. (basically ideal dating material.)
Susan - smart, and kind of grumpy. (basically the star of this vo
Riley
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed this. The characters were fun and I can see it getting much better in future volumes. But the plot seemed to have a strange flow.
Jillian (thehappy.reader)
reread feb '18
STILL FREAKING LOVE THIS SERIES. now that I've reread vol 1 i can read the rest of the volumes and catch up!

-----------------------

THIS WAS FRIGGIN ADORABLE AND HILARIOUS. Do you love lady friendship, smart humor, diversity, and coming of age stories? THEN READ THIS. This sort of gave me the same feeling when I read Fangirl. This follows three friends who are in their first year of university. It's relatable and hilarious. I neeeeeeeeed the second volume NOW. I'm even considering
HFK
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphics, paidkindle
Awhile back Amazon had a bigger sale on less known graphics that included few volumes of much praised Giant Days, which at the time was completely unknown phenomena to me. I thought the premise looked quite fun and intriguing, so I picked up a few volumes to give the series a shot.

Little did I know, because after my shopping, I started to see my bookish sites being full of love and recommendations of the series, and again felt as I had lived under a rock without any knowledge of there being some
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Giant Days Vol 1 was a surprisingly good comic! I like that the setting is in a university and the 3 MC are girls who are relatable. This was funny and had good drawing style and it is easy to read. I don’t know where it is moving though but future volumes will decide! This is more of a NA type of comics for uni students! Yay 😀
Calista
What a find! This book was fun. It took me back to my university days- New friends, weird situations, interesting friends and absurdities. I enjoy the characters and the energy the art conveys. I did find it interesting that when they went to class it was mostly empty; we used to go to class in my day. Attendance was a mandatory thing.

There is still so much to explore here. I feel like we only met our characters and I am wanting to know more and more and more. Susan, Ester, and Daisy make a grea
Sam Quixote
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Giant Days follows three first year students at university: Daisy, home-schooled and naive, the youngest of the group; Esther, a Goth chick who looks identical to Nemi and is getting over her recent breakup with her high-school boyfriend; and Susan, the mother of the group and a med student. In this first book, they get sick, deal with obnoxious lad students running an offensive website, and celebrate Daisy’s 18th.

Ok, first of all, I am a foolish fool for not listening to everyone who told me th
Kai
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

Giant Days was fun and sarcastic and very cute. I'll make sure to get hold of the next volumes!

Find more of my books on Instagram
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karen A.
I kept seeing this everywhere so I decided to try it out on Hoopla. Three college students, making their way in the world. I had a home-schooled girl in my freshman friend trio too, so I think I found a few shared experiences. I can see sitting and reading all of these the same way I might binge on tv show on Netflix, light but enjoyable.
Paul E. Morph
Words cannot express how much I love this book!

Well, maybe they can and I should stop being so lazy.

I'm a long time reader of John Allison's webcomics so I was delighted to see his work enter a different arena in the form of the 20 page comicbook. Allison's quirky sense of humour is well represented here, even if he's chosen to lose the paranormal elements of his webcomics. I love all the characters and the mostly done-in-one-issue stories are charming and very funny. If you've never read Alliso
Jan Philipzig
Quirky, charming, likable, humorous portrayal of university life targeted at the high-school crowd (I think). Trying to establish themselves in their new environment, our three female protagonists have to deal with mysterious but affordable Polish flu medication, "lad culture" (read: the latest forms of chauvinism), and the good old stuffiness of "academia." Nothing earth-shattering, but enjoyable enough.
Nina
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
It's been years since I've last read a graphic novel but I'd heard great things about the Giant Days series, so I thought I'd check it out and I really enjoyed the first volume. It was such a quick and fun read and I also really liked the art in it. I will definitely continue with the second volume of this series and I think I'll generally try to start reading more graphic novels in the future.

instagram || my blog || twitter
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol 1: ★★★★☆
Vol. 2: ★★★★★
Vol. 3: ★★★★★
Vol. 4: ★★★★★

I've been meaning to read Giant Days forever, and I'm so glad I finally picked up the series! It's not often that I get into contemporary graphic novels, but this is an exception worth making. The characters are lively and fun (especially Esther, who is naturally my little goth heart's fave), there's a healthy mix of diversity thrown into the cast, and the storyline is engaging while even being just a little bit suspenseful.
Razan
Hilarious, Quirky and simply amazing
Susan,Esther and Daisy are my new favourite girl gang 💖
Monica
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been hyping this up in my head for months, which usually spells disaster, but this did not disappoint. I thought it was smart, hilarious, and had great art. I'm going to need this as a tv series.
Ashley
Okay, so at first I was reading this and it was enjoyable, but I'm thinking, "I don't get the fuss." And then I read like, three more pages, and I was in love. Whoops.

Giant Days follows three college freshmen, Susan, Esther and Daisy. As the comic starts, they've been in school only about three weeks and have made fast friends with one another. Susan is our narrator. She's smart and feministy and has a temper. Esther is very pale, pretty and "practically consumptive." Daisy and Susan are consta
AleJandra
5 College Life

description

Primer Novela Grafica New Adult que leo, aunque el tono de la historia es bastante adolescente.
No que me queje, la verdad es que es un libro muy divertido.

La historia sigue las andanzas de tres jóvenes que están empezando College. Lo nuevo que es vivir de forma independiente y todo lo que esto conlleva.

Mi parte favorita:
Cuando nos muestran cuando están enfermas, las 3 enfrentan la enfermedad de forma diferente, pero muy divertida. Me sentí super identificada, no importa que sea
David Schaafsma
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-ya
First volume (collecting the first 4 issues) of a series about Susan, Esther, and Daisy starting university in the U.K.. It's a very British comic, I am told, but I have to say aside from a bit of language and cultural refs this feels like three white girls going to college, pretty much anywhere. Which is to say it will be immensely popular with the high school girl crowd. The tone is pretty manic but not much really happens.

These girls get to be friends because they are in the same dorm. An ol
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
I love stories about first year uni students! There really needs to be more of them! I'm pretty sure Daisy is my favourite character, but all of the girls are so quirky and hilarious. If you want a glimpse into (or to be reminded of) university shenanigans then Giant Days is the perfect place to start. I can't wait to see the Holiday Ball in Volume 2!
Maggie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic_novel, scribd
I liked this one, I fell in love with characters instantly.
Jade Ratley
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esther is the bomb dot com

I really enjoyed this. A lot.
ashley (saidthestory)
This is one of the best graphic novels I have read in a very long time. I was laughing out loud the entire time.
Lauren
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 6: Sink or Swim
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 3: A Terrible Plan
  • Princeless, Vol. 3: The Pirate Princess
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1
  • Power Up
  • Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
  • Lucky Penny
  • Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 4: I Kissed a Squirrel and I Liked It
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • SLAM! Vol. 1
  • Brave (Awkward, #2)
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 6: Civil War II
John Allison is the author and artist of the British webcomics Scary Go Round and Bad Machinery.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Giant Days (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Giant Days: Early Registration
  • Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 3 (Giant Days, #3)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 4 (Giant Days, #4)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Giant Days: Extra Credit (Giant Days: Extra Credit, #1)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Giant Days Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)