Start by marking “The Fettered Flame (Shkode, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fettered Flame (Shkode, #2)

The Fettered Flame

(Shkode #2)

The Fettered Flame is a genre-bending fantasy novel that continues the saga of two dying worlds, plagued by their own unique struggles for power. Follow the journeys of Cor – a woman striving to understand her powers of magic and how the connect to her past, Atesh – her contemplative dragon companion, and Jwala – a dragon plunged into a rebirth of ancient ideals. The Fette ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 2016 by Atthis Arts, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Fettered Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fettered Flame

Start your review of The Fettered Flame (Shkode, #2)
L.L. Reynolds
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
E. D. E. Bell is a paradigm shifter. Her fantasy books defy gender roles and are chock full of modern social themes caused by age-old societal ignorances and prejudices.

The series began with a four-dimensional researcher’s child causing a world to split into dangerously unstable twin worlds of Teirrah and Arev. Each world knows nothing of the other's existence, except as stories, legends and myths.

Humans inhabit the one known as Teirrah, and anthropomorphic dragons (How c
Terry Gene
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Hi!

First, I commend Ms. Bell in her fine presentation within the High Fantasy genre, without diverting to current 'must do' low/urban fantasy tropes. Enough foreshadowing has happened by the second book, "The Fettered Flame," that I anticipate a rousing climax at the end of book three.

I caught Ms. Bell on her first Shkode book, and gratefully got the the opportunity to read the advance review copy of this second of the series. This book continues the quest of the odd coup
E.D.E. Bell
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book! It's a little bit of everything, including dragons and wizards. I hope you check it out and enjoy it.
Cynthia
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The second volume of the Shkode Books was definitely easier to follow than the first. Probably because the central ideas were already established and we know all the characters now. They are fleshed out in this book, and we aren't struggling to follow along.

In this volume, our main characters are dealing with conflict and the destruction of life as they know it. The worlds of humans and dragons have been split in two, as explained in the analogy of splitting a sheet of paper, not cut in half, b
Angela Burkhead
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A child plays innocently in a mother's lab and a world is torn apart. Time passes for life within the split world, history becomes lost to myth and fables and soon their reality is truly separated. Until, they start to collide. Nothing can save them from their impending doom, not even the promise of a mother to a heartbroken child.

But, as long as life exists, there remains hope.

The Shkode series exists in a multi-dimensional universe of endless possibilities and E.D.E. Bell is stret
Beth Teliho
A boundlessly imagined, expertly crafted tale of compassion, connections, and war, seamlessly anchored in refreshingly progressive themes and well-developed characters.

Truly one of the most complex and intelligent high fantasies I've had the pleasure of reading, and right up there with George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. It takes a seasoned writer to pen dragons, other-worlds, and magic so that the reader starts to think of them as real. I connected with Cor (human) as much as Atesh (
Laura Custodio
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*Free ARC in exchange for honest review*

This is one of those rare times where I felt the second book is actually better than the first. I loved reading this book as the characters underwent an ongoing metamorphosis. This book builds upon on the genre busting, multiple thread tale of catastrophic change with vegan, LGBT, and non violence themes.

If you want something different than this trilogy is definitely for you.
J.S. Bailey
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this installment of the Shkode series. The many plot threads introduced in The Banished Craft are finally starting to weave together. Looking forward to see what Book 3 brings!
Tiamatty
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was really good. The first book was a solid introduction to the setting(s), the characters and the conflicts. With all the set-up out of the way, this book gets to delve deeper into everything, to build on the foundations, and to escalate everything. It does this very well, taking intriguing ideas and making them more compelling. The characters are well-developed. And there sure are a lot of them. There's over a dozen viewpoint characters, though some get less focus than others. It's intere ...more
Dana Busenbark
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book, dealing with different kingdoms throughout the world that they're on. Each of the different areas is called something different from Oceanland to Caveland for example. I think my favorite character of the book is the Grand Dame. She was not at all what I expected. I loved her Moxy! Watching the play with gender identity, race identity (human vs. dragon), war (human vs. human), food choices (vegan vs. carnivore) makes it all very interesting. It was a lot of fun to re ...more
Kris Sellgren
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Jane Shambler
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
I admit I did not realize at first that this was book 2 of an on going series. I would definitely advise you to read book 1 first. It definitely is not a stand alone book. So I stopped and read number 1 and it all fell into place. I'll admit I loved the dragons.

The author covers many social issues especially those relating to LGBT. The book is very intense and at times hard to keep up. But perseverance is rewarded with an excellent story. It's really well written.

I gave it fou
Ann McDowell
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I agree with another reviewer - I liked this book better than the first in the series (The Banished Craft). Bell does a great job with character development, as always. I'm interested to see how some of the subplots will come together in the final book. The author gives the characters depth and provides thought-provoking detail into their points of view on topics ranging from LGBTQ to veganism to war-fighting. Waiting for #3.
Kat
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay, dragons!

The storyline with Francie at the very beginning of the book came completely out of the blue and was not foreshadowed in book 1. As such, it didn't resonate and just felt poorly written. Thematically it pivots away from women's rights which feels jarring based on the emphasis on this theme in the first book. Some plotlines, like Ssarh and Jelt are still dull. Otherwise, this book was an improvement on the last and I look forward to the conclusion of the series.
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book continues the story threads from the first book, though my favourite chapters were about Atesh, Cor, and Mother (the four-dimensional being watching the two worlds slowly collapse). I'm curious about how some of the threads will come together in the final book--there are still a few character subplots that are at the edge of things -- but time is running out as the Change/Avalanche advances. If you liked the first book, you should enjoy this one too.
Donna Fernstrom
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a rough one. Really, the book is well written, and the story itself is actually pretty interesting. The world-building impressed me a lot - the dragon culture was fascinating.

But...
Unfortunately, this book was slooooowwww... incredibly slow. This book took me an insanely long time to finish, because I just didn't get sucked into it and kept putting it down. It was full of detailed interactions between people that went nowhere and barely (if at all) a
Kristian
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Let me premise this review by saying that I won this in a Goodreads giveaway and am thankful for the opportunity to read a new author. I will say I broke my own rule by not reading the first book in the series. This book definitely NEEDS you to read the first book in the series so that you know what is going on. I felt like this book was trying to cover everything that is wrong in today's society today. I didn't feel that the dragon race needed to be dragons. The author could have made them alie ...more
Becca
Andria Anderson
Apr 10, 2019
Tourma
Jun 27, 2017
Goodreads Librari...: Please Modify The Fettered Flame 3 16 Aug 08, 2016 02:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Clean Up ARC data for The Fettered Flame 3 27 Jul 18, 2016 01:26PM

• The Only Ones
E.D.E. Bell was born in the year of the fire dragon during a Cleveland blizzard. After a youth in the mitten, an MSE in Electrical Engineering from the University of Michigan, three wonderful children, and nearly two decades in Northern Virginia and Southwest Ohio developing technical intelligence strategy, she now applies her magic to the creation of genre-bending fantasy fiction in Ferndale, Mic ...more

Shkode (3 books)
  • The Banished Craft (Shkode, #1)
  • The Scattered Bond (Shkode, #3)